Start by marking “Mother of Shadows (The Chosen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mother of Shadows (The Chosen, #1)

Mother of Shadows

(The Chosen #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,027 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
"It's not a story."

With four words Helena’s quiet life goes up in flames. When her childhood friend returns to tell her that she is the prophesied ruler of the Chosen, those blessed with the gift of magic, there’s no avoiding her destiny.

Suddenly, Helena is surrounded by a circle of protectors, each man having sworn their loyalty to her since her birth. All except for one
Published August 1st 2017 (first published July 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Mother of Shadows, please sign up.
Meg I'm so happy you love Helena's world as much as I do! Book two is being written as we speak (no lies - I'm working on Ch. 6 right now) and I expect it…moreI'm so happy you love Helena's world as much as I do! Book two is being written as we speak (no lies - I'm working on Ch. 6 right now) and I expect it to be out around the end of the year or early next. (less)
Meg There are four in total for the main story arc, and the last book will be out in Oct 2018. There will be a spin off series set in the Chosen world…moreThere are four in total for the main story arc, and the last book will be out in Oct 2018. There will be a spin off series set in the Chosen world with lots of familiar faces, but it will be able to be read without having to read these first four books. (less)

JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of this book by the author, Meg Anne, for an honest review

Opinion:

*Ding ding ding*…. Addiction alert!

This series…is like a Cheez-it, a salt and vinegar chip, a girl scout cookie, a Hersey’s Kiss! YOU CAN’T HAVE JUST ONE! You can’t just read a few chapters and put this book down, you MUST devour the entire story in one sitting! I love a fantasy story where a female lead is a complete and total badass in a fight., but I REALLY love when that same female turns into an
Grace's Potato
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, meh
DNF@ 53%
Feels like there isn't much to the plot, and at halfway through the book I'm still not invested in the story or the characters. The insta-love...sort of makes sense due to the whole Mate thing, but I'm still not a huge fan of how it was done here.

All I got from reading this is that Alina is extremely beautiful, she wears extremely beautiful clothes, her Circle is always proud of her, she is extremely powerful, everyone loves her, and Von is really hot.

Also, she is extremely beautiful.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
4.5

I especially love this one and I hope more people will pick it up so I can gush about how much I enjoyed it! This debut novel from Meg Anne has popped her squarely onto my "authors to love" list. She knows how to weave a tale that causes you to truly feel the emotions of the characters.

“He might be, Damaskiri, but aren’t we all made of both shadows and light? Shadows cannot exist without light though, so you cannot have one and not have the other. Just because he may be that side of you doe
Alaina Meserole
I really hate cliffhangers.

It's like authors love to torture me or something. I can totally be okay with a cliffhanger here and there if the whole series is out but when it isn't - I'm just sad, mad, and super crazy. It drives me nuts because I have no idea how long I have to wait for the next book: a day, a week, a month, a year? WHO KNOWS!

Mother of Shadows was kind of predictable - sorry, it was! However, that doesn't mean I didn't fall in like with this book. Okay, I lied.. it was love. Helen
Runningrabbit
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Shadow of Faith

This novel may have garnered 5 stars if part of the plot was a surprise rather than an expected option. Helena's character is easy to empathise with although there is an element of the 'too good to be true' syndrome, I will concede, however, this quality may be considered essential to the plotline. Her love interest is something of a stereotype, however, all this is offset by a pretty good fantasy tale. The novel could have done with more political intrigue to add depth to the p
Raj
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please brace yourself before reading this book as it's going be a terribly wild and magically induced ride.If you hate a mother of all cliffhangers and do not have the fortitude to endure them than maybe you would be wise to sit this one out until you have the entire collection in your greedy palms.This story is going to have you scratching at your senses seeking an agreeable conclusive ending and that unfortunately is some ways away.
Coco.V
Jan 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/14/2018)! 💝

Blurb:
Helena’s life had always been quiet. In fact, she liked it that way. When her childhood friend returns home and tells her that she is the prophesied ruler of the Chosen, those blessed with the gift of magic, her quiet life goes up in flames.

Suddenly Helena finds herself surrounded by a circle of protectors, each having sworn their loyalty to her since her birth. All except for one: her Mate.

It’s not enough that she learn how to use her magic and under
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
If I had had the forethought to queue up another audiobook for my commute home, I wouldn't have finished this book. This was one of those "prophesied one" stories where the girl is so perfect and everyone wants to be her or be with her. She picks her mate from a line-up, gets a magical flying cat-thing, and then promptly loses said mate. And that's basically all that happens. I won't be picking up the rest of the series.
Shari Kay
Shelves: cliff-dive, para
3.5*
Angela
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are no words for Meg Anne. From what I have been able to dig up, this is her first novel. Yea I wave the BS flag on that one! Her writing is captivating and creates a world that we can not help but want to become lost in from start to finish. Mother of shadows focuses on Helena. Helena believed that she was a farm girl with no magical powers, unlike everyone else, but when her friend returns from the capital her world is turned upside down. She is destined to lead her people surrounded by ...more
Jeanny
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Cliffhanger ending. (Dubious) cheating.
Arifat Ola-Dauda
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay here we go. So this book is about a girl called Helena who is the ‘chosen’ leader of the ‘chosen’ and apparently this ‘chosen’ are some supernatural bunch of gifted people in the four different element(fire, water, air, and earth).

Only the ‘chosen’ which is Helena can wield all 4 including the Spirit, and she has a circle which is filled with a bunch of men that are supposed to help her navigate the whole thing. Oh...and the Circle also comprises of her ‘chosen’ mate🙄🙄.

Now Helena is the mos
K.S. Marsden
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Helena has led a humble life, far away from the capital. She is suddenly thrust into the centre of attention, as their new queen, leader, and has access to immense powers.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

The story starts off quickly; hurrying to shrug off Helena's background as a peasant, and to move on with her new life as a goddess.
After the death of the last Damaskiri (someone that can access the powerful spirit magic, and the rightful queen), Helena is moved into the p
Heather Guimond
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct pleasure of reading an advanced copy of this book. It may be Meg Anne's debut novel, but she packs a wallop with Mother of Shadows like a seasoned author. This is, by far and away, the best book I have read in a very long time. Meg's storytelling hooked me from the very first page, drawing me into a world with vivid images and even brighter characters. I felt Helena's initial confusion and uncertainty deeply, and when she finally began to step into her role as Damaskiri and as ...more
Esther
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I haven't had the urge to keep reading a book in a while. I was reading this during breakfast, during commercial breaks, I fell asleep with this book on the pillow next to me. I loved this book so much and I wanted to keep reading, it could've been double the pages for me! The book reminded me of Court of Mist and Fury in some aspects. I didn't mind, because I loved that book!

A longer review can be fo
Sarah Stein
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is book one of the series and a must-read. Helena is definitely someone you don't want to piss off. I love how this Author connects Von and Helena's relationship. The whole soulmate thing is something I enjoy reading in books. There was so much interesting information to take in making me want to continue reading. I definitely look forward to the continuation in book two. (ARC)
A
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
edited after my first re-read :)

I loved it just as much as the first time around :) I am re-reading the whole series in anticipation of the release of the fourth and final one... :) I remembered some things from this first installment, but the other two are a much bigger mystery to me ;) for all of my thoughts and feelings about this absolute gem, just keep on reading and you will find my original review below :)

original review :)

free copy received from the author in exchange for an honest revie
Caitlin
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am obsessed! I had the pleasure of meeting Meg Anne in person and loved this book. Von -swoon- I need to find a Von for myself.
Jenna
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands up for the amazing author Meg Anne for brining us a brilliant start to the series! Helena is brought in to a new world that she is not used to. She quickly learns her new role and becomes a strong leader among her people. As this story went on it kept getting better and better. It is full of fantasy, romance and action. I can't wait for the next book in this series.
Jessica McCrory
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meg Anne certainly delivers with a fantastic, well written fantasy that will leave the reader thinking about it long after they've finished! This story was full of action, insta-love (which I LOVE!), passion, and adventure! I could not put it down! I cannot wait for the second book in the series!!!
Monica
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good, loved the world Meg Anne took me away to, such a different spin on a book with magic! Love Helena's inocence! But I gotta warn you there is a cliffhanger!! Thank you for sharing this world with me!!
Selene Kallan
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Beautiful. The world Meg Anne created is a mesmerizing one, full of color and magic. And speaking of magic I have to say I love the way is portrayed, how it changes the one who wields it. The characters are memorable, Helena is one of the most complete leads I've read recently: sensitive but strong, humble but empowered, fierce but caring. Von, Helena's mate is to die for, menacing, at first sight, but once the story unravels you can see his many qualities. He is the perfect complement to Helena ...more
R. Murray
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond incredible! It has everything you need for a fantasy read and it is hard to believe that this book is the debut from this author!

I cannot wait for the next book!! I need more Von in my life!
sonya
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good

Easy read. Not to much sex or violence. Fairly predictable but in a good way. Read it you'll like it
Tiffany Jones
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
** **FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW.**

Helena loved her quiet life, in her cottage tending to her gardens. This all ended abruptly when her childhood friend returns home to inform her that she is the prophesied ruler of The Chosen, those blessed with the gift of magic. Her entire life wasn’t what she thought it was, for she’d been raised hid
C.L. Stacey
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yeeeeeeesssss! ‘Scuse me for just a moment while a fan-girl all over this review.

I’ve been away from fantasy romance for too long. Way. Too. Long. What a way to come back to it with this mind-blowing debut by the very talented Meg Anne. I am just speechless. This book hooked me from the very first page, and I just couldn’t tear myself away until I reached its very last.

Everything, from the heroine and hero’s respective characters, as well as their beautiful “bond” (oh, the bond, don’t get me sta
Candyce Kirk
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

I really loved the concept of this story. Helena has always had a quiet life and lives through her family's friends stories when he stops by. His next visit is more urgent though. Helena, according to prophecies, is the ruler of the Chosen. Before she knows it, she's taken away from her home and needs to learn to use her magic to pass her trial. Besides that she must find her Mate. When this turns out to be Von, not many are pleased. Due to his past and his people, he's not their first
Kendall
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid 3.

I thought the initial introduction of the main character's powers and "mate" was really rushed. It left me wanting more because I didn't get a good feel for Helena and her personality before she had her powers.
The book was way more focused on the romance between Helena and Von than I expected. The description was fantasy, YA, and fiction which I know those usually have a little romance in it but with so much of the book targeted towards their love, I would have expected to have at least
Rachel Beamin'
I promise to love you wholly and without restraint, in this life and beyond, where we shall meet, remember and love again.

description

….I found myself a little golden nugget of awesome!......
description

Apparently, this is the first book the author has written. I would like to say:
description

Let me throw this out there, I am not a fan of 3rd person POV. I don’t get attached to the characters or the story, but with this book…. TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I was instantly drawn in. The characters, the story, the world that is built was f
Meg Anne has always had stories running on a loop in her head. They started off as daydreams about how the evil queen (aka Mom) had her slaving away doing chores; and more recently shifted into creating backgrounds about the people stuck beside her during rush hour. The stories have been there, they were just waiting for her to tell them.

Like any true SoCal native, Meg enjoys staying inside curled

The Chosen (4 books)
  • Reign of Ash (The Chosen #2)
  • Crown of Embers (The Chosen #3)
  • Queen of Light (The Chosen #4)
“To fear the shadow is to betray the light. Recognize the potential for destruction, but do not fear it and it shall not pass.” 1 likes
“She noticed his hands trembling slightly as he removed the small globe that was concealed in his pocket. “For you, Damaskiri,” he said shoving it into her hands quickly. Helena looked into the globe and saw that it had been enchanted to contain a miniature ball with the people twirling and dancing within. She held it up to her ear and could hear the soft strains of music. Delighted she studied him with a new appreciation, “What is your name?” “Teramos,” he replied nervously,” 1 likes