Start by marking “The Last Moriarty (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Moriarty (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 1)

The Last Moriarty

(Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #1)

Audible Audio
Published April 1st 2016 by Charles Veley (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Moriarty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Moriarty

Start your review of The Last Moriarty (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 1)
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
Shelves: read-2015
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are enlisted by the Prime Minister to solve the murder of John D. Rockefellers security agent before the incident can derail an upcoming British-American summit. At the same time, a young woman contacts Holmes to help her find her parents.

I was quite looking forward to reading this book after seeing it on Amazon and was happy when I saw it on NetGalley. Now I'm glad that I didn't buy it since it was so predictable that it was hard to enjoy reading the book.
Bandit
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly enjoyable pastiche. One might wish for slightly more deductions that made the man so famous and slightly less melodrama, but alas, there it is. Plenty of twists and turns and some pretty clever uses of real historical figures and events, as the famed detective uses his inimitable mind to prevent another November 5th from occurring, all while navigating some...well some family drama. Interesting spin on the character's history and, of course, left sequel ready. Fun quick read.
Fred Hughes
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any time a Moriarty is involved you know Sherlock is going to have his hands full. Add in a top secret government meeting between the PM and several american billionaires and you have a recipe for some evil to pop up.

Some plot twists and revelations that Sherlock fans will love

Recommmended
M.R. Graham
Three and a half stars, for me.

The Premise:
A meeting between captains of industry is threatened. Men connected with the upcoming meeting keep turning up dead, and all signs indicate that a criminal organization on par with the defunct Moriarty gang is responsible. Possibly even the successor of the Moriarty gang, as Colonel Sebastian Moran has escaped from prison, and he had help.
Into the mix is thrown a young actress, Lucy James, whose ties to this shadowy organization grow ever more perplexing
Jacob Thompson
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellently paced with enough action to support the detailed moments of sleuthing. I particularly enjoyed the added female companions to Sherlock's roster.
Rev Gary
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
First read Sherlock Holmes in my college days. I am glad his adventures continue.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
For fans of the original Sherlock Holmes tales comes this interesting twist on what became of Holmes after his battle with Moriarty in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Final Problem." It is a few years after John Watson wrote of Sherlock’s death, and everyone assumes he is dead. The pair, still living on Baker Street, keeps a low profile while working occasionally for select clients, including Sherlock’s brother Mycroft and the British government. Holmes and Watston are brought in on a case because ...more
Kayla West
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay...so I have to admit that there was a teensy tiny part of me that only bought this book because of my slight obsession with the show Sherlock. I have been dying to find out who is in fact going to be coming back in Moriarty's place in this fourth and possibly final season of the show (hopefully a woman, because there are not enough crazy women on that show), and so I thought this book, due to its title, might give me some sort of clue. Admittedly, it gave me no ideas, but I was really glad ...more
Bethany Swafford
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
When the Prime Minister and his cabinet requires Holmes to solve a murder involving John D. Rockefeller and J.P Morgan, the great detective obliges, intrigued by the details of the case. A young actress brings new light onto the case, and changes everything.

As far as pastiches go, this is done very well. Told from the point of view of Dr. Watson, it's very similar to Conan Doyle's voice, which is not easy to do. The new characters are interesting enough in their own way.

The mystery was a little
Pamela
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to have to call it quits on these Sherlock imitations. I have yet to find one that captures the energy and brilliance of Doyle's original. And this one--this is one of the worst.

The story was trite. The characters confusing at best and flat at worse. And worst of all, it seemed that the author kept throwing in all this historical information not because it was necessary to the story or that it helped flesh out the story but because he wanted to wow the reader with all his research.

If
Kim Taylor
I love the original Sherlock Holmes stories and books, and I enjoy many pastiches. This one was...okay. It kept my attention enough to finish the story, but it only earned 2.5 stars (rounded to 3).

A brief synopsis: this story takes place after Holmes' return to London after Reichenbach Falls, but before Watson writes "The Adventure of the Empty House", so that the general public isn't aware that Holmes is not dead. In advance of a meeting between the British government and American oil tycoons
Marfita
Yet another alternative Holmes outside-the-canon-let's-get-some-women-in novel.
I got this on the strength of the Edward Petherbridge narration of the audiobook. Drool drool, love him from Lord Peter days. Also needs to pull back a bit on those Amurrikin Rs.
I don't suppose, looking at the addition to the title (enumerating the series), that it will be much of a surprise as to who Lucy James is. Of course, everything seems to surprise Watson, who is narrating this. The style is very much like the
Krystyna
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tribute to Sherlock Holmes

A terrific read. Homes is as enigmatic as ever but Watson seems not quite as in the dark as the original. The plot is very much in the style of the original stories even though Holmes seems a bit more open during the investigation rather than keeping things under wraps until the end. A plot of an escaped prisoner, a meeting between the Government and two American magnates, treachery, murder and the rise of Moriarty's organisation like a phoenix from the
Argum
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting new series in the Sherlock Holmes universe. It is in the period between Sherlock's death at the falls, but before his Return. He is still working cases for select people like Her Majesty's government. A big hush hush meeting between heavyweight American industrialists including Mr Rockefeller is scheduled to occur with British government to do with major naval advancements. Germany or someone else seems to be behind some major threats. Something strange is happening and it may ...more
Alfred Carreon
Jan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely young American actress from the D'Oyly Carte Opera Troupe comes to 221B Baker Street on a cold November morning, desperately seeking assistance from Sherlock Holmes. Inexplicably, Holmes agrees to help, even though the Prime Minister of England and his cabinet need Holmes to solve a murder case that could threaten a high-stakes meeting with John D. Rockefeller and J.P. Morgan. The clock is ticking. Holmes will need all his physical and deductive powers to preserve innocent lives and ...more
Stephanie Zuiderweg
Enjoyable, clever, though not error free

While familiar with Sherlock Holmes, I haven't read many of the original Conan Doyle stories, and certainly not recently, so I can't attest to how accurately the style was emulated. However, the feel seemed accurate (and I suspect probably actually better written).
There are many historical figures that appear to be well researched and emulated, though again I can't attest to that. But I found the characters interesting and learned a few things I didn't
Katherine
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome Sherlock imagining!

If you are a Sherlock fan, especially one who enjoys the addition of a female point of view then this is for you. This takes place and is narrated by Watson (of course!) several years after the events of The Final Problem (Doyle's final Sherlock story). But it goes off in a completely different direction that is delightful. No spoilers will be revealed here but try this and see if you also think it is an enjoyable read. I will start the next book in the series
M. White
Interesting variation on the Holmes legend

This story combines a cleverly plotted, fairly typical Holmes and Watson mystery with some startling revelations about the youthful years of both Holmes and Moriarty and the introduction of a beautiful young lady who turns out to be Sherlock's daughter. The book reminds me a lot of Laurie R. King's series featuring young Mary Russell who becomes Holmes's wife.
Carol
Couldn't get in to this book. I love watching sherlock Holmes in all genres, but reading a book about his escapades is entirely different. It's hard to see his facial expressions when making an assumption. Plus, I feel as if there are always too many characters to keep track of when watching or reading a story. Of course, this is my opinion and it may just be
this particular writer that doesn't appeal to me. I didn't finish this book.
Mary
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very enjoyable. The setting and characters from the original Sherlock Holmes are present, closer perhaps to the old Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone than modern, rougher re-incarnations. Not the humor and fun of the Lady Sherlock books, but still a romp through England past with appearances of historical notables. Lucy James shows promise as a breath of fresh air to the Holmes and Watson duo.
Lora
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
$1.24 on Kindle - what are you waiting for, if you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes? The story was intelligently written and had some exciting scenes, and even made me chuckle a few times. It was fun to read it and see it in my mind starring Jeremy Brett and David Burke. I will definitely be reading more from the series (which consists of 7 books plus a prequel). My only complaint was an excuse that Sherlock made at the end of the book, which seemed stupid/not quite logical to me.
Susan
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmes
1895 and although Holmes has been asked to aid the Prime Minister of Britain in solving a murder that could threaten a meeting with some very influential Americans he is approached by actress Lucy James to find out her true parentage.
Though not true to canon as Holmes does seem to have a past I still enjoyed the story and liked the characters.
Richard Thompson
Doyle-like Atmosphere

I enjoyed the Doyle-like atmosphere in this mystery. It is one of the more convincing Holmes pastiches due to all the Edwardian detail. However, the plot was not as believable. I liked the romantic aspects of the story, but, just as in the Laurie King books, they are uncharacteristic of Doyle’s Holmes.
Wende
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved

I was not sure about this book at first. I love reading different mysteries and was wondering if I would enjoy a Sherlock Holmes book that had a different author. Surprisingly I did. I loved this book
Charlene F Kidd
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summer read.

As a fan of Sherlock Holmes since childhood, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this sincere imitation. I look forward to seeing what other plots this author has in store for us.
Doreen
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This is one of the best Sherlock Holmes stories I have read--- including Conan Doyle's original stories. Ingenious plot, enjoyable old and new characters, fast pace as pursuit and adventure develop, and satisfying conclusion!
Audrey
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. I did find the British government men and police to be complete morons as portrayed in this book. Also, Dr. Watson cannot count, and the character of Sherlock Holmes seemed to at times be acting against his own nature. Other than that, the story was amusing enough.
Samantha
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Story

I love Sherlock and Watson. This was the first time reading this author but I loved the story and flow. It was done very well that it seemed to be right from Dr. Watson himself.
David Leonhardt
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holmes at His Finest

Any Sherlock Holmes fan will love this book, it is truly like reading Doyle. Mr Veley does a splendid job keeping you guessing, and keeping you turning the pages, as Holmes and Watson solve another mystery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: The Last Moriarty - Veley - 3 stars 1 7 Dec 03, 2019 10:36AM

• The Crown Jewel Mystery (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #0.5)
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases: Volume 1
  • Flynn's Christmas: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.1)
  • The Clown on the High Wire: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.2)
  • The Cobra in the Monkey Cage: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Twelve Days of Christmas
  • The Murder of Patience Brooke (Charles Dickens Investigations #1)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • The Quickening and the Dead (Charles Dickens Investigations #4)
  • At Midnight In Venice (Charles Dickens Investigations #5)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • Mycroft and Sherlock
  • The Skeletons of Birkbury (DCI Peter Hatherall Mystery #1)
  • Death of an Old Girl (Pollard & Toye, #1)
  • The Adventure of the Pinched Palimpsest: A New Sherock Holmes Mystery (New Sherlock Holmes Mysteries Book 37)
  • Murder at the Boat Club (A Ginger Gold Mystery #9)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Sword Princess (The Great Detective in Love #1)
  • Lady Gold Investigates
Charles Veley has loved Sherlock Holmes since boyhood. During one year, he read the entire canon to his then-ten-year-old daughter at evening story time. He is extremely proud of her accomplishments as historical novelist Anna Elliott, and thrilled to be coauthor with her on the Sherlock and Lucy Mystery Series.
Also a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan, he wrote "The Pirates of Finance," a new musical

Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery (7 books)
  • The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #2)
  • Remember, Remember (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery, #3)
  • The Jubilee Problem (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #4)
  • Death at the Diogenes Club (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #5)
  • The Return of the Ripper (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #6)
  • Die Again, Mr. Holmes (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7)