Start by marking “The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 2)

The Wilhelm Conspiracy

(Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #2)

A prominent banker is found dead in an unsavory part of London. Hours later, the charred remains of another body lie on a beach in Dover. Both deaths—and their possible link—attract Sherlock Holmes. Then the Secretary of War summons the detective with catastrophic news whose consequences could harm the nation for generations: on the eve of war, a new British superweapon

Audible Audio
Published October 25th 2016 by Charles Veley

To ask other readers questions about The Wilhelm Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wilhelm Conspiracy

Start your review of The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery Book 2)
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Whoops, I'm a day late. I hate being late with doing reviews for ARCs. But, oh well. The sad life of a student is that you can't read as much as you want. Anyways, on to the review!

I'm going to say it bluntly. I didn't like this as much as the first book. Maybe it was because I wasn't paying this one as much attention as the first -- I binged season 11 of Supernatural and was studying for a midterm while reading this, not at the same time. But, it didn't have the same spark or intrigue for me.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
For fans of the original Sherlock Holmes tales comes this interesting twist on what became of Holmes after his battle with Moriarty in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Final Problem."Continuing the adventures of Sherlock, Dr. Watson, and newcomer, Ms. Lucy James, The Wilhelm Conspiracy picks up about a year after the conclusion of the first book, The Last Moriarty. In his own way, Sherlock is being a father to his newly discovered daughter, Lucy; trying to protect her while admiring her astute ...more
J Lipoti
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading the other reviews of the Wilhelm Conspiracy, and realized that no one commented on the science in the book - only the relationships and action. Well, the science is believable, and that held my interest. When a book can intertwine murder, politics, science, and spies, it is fun to read! I recommend this for Holmes fans, as well as history buffs. The notes at the end show where Veley got his inspiration. It's nice to have that "behind the scenes" look at the creative mind.
Nancy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holmes and Watson Search for a Stolen Secret Weapon

It’s a busy time at 221B Baker Street. First Lucy James, Holmes daughter from a brief affair, comes to the flat with a newspaper telling of the death of a banker who was involved in a German assassination plot. Holmes foiled the plot, but now the banker has been murdered.

The second visitor is Inspector Lestrade. He stumbles into the flat badly beaten having been grabbed right on Holmes doorstep. He needs Holmes help to find a super weapon that
Susan
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmes
1896, a body of a dead banker has been found, and on Dover beach a burnt body has been discovered. But when a new and powerful weapon is stolen, Holmes is brought in to determine any connection, retrieve the stolen weapon and find the possible traitor in Lord Lansdowne, Secretary of War's department.
An enjoyable story and characters. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Mark
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love of all things Sherlock Holmes began on afternoons after mowing my uncles yard spent watching old movies on a local UHF station and seeing Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as the famed detective and his sidekick. For me Rathbone will forever be the Holmes I remember even if I’ve loved all others who’ve played the character. But the stories were limited to those written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and authors who have taken up his character have blown hot and cold. The series of books ...more
Krystyna
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry but Telsa was incorrectly described.

An okay read but there's no mention of Telsa's OCD or the fact that he never felt comfortable in a woman's presence. This sort of made the read slightly unpalatable and although there has been talk of a Death Ray machine designs in the papers confiscated after his death, I just felt that the author took just too many liberties with the actual facts. If it had been a fictional scientist I would have accepted it but not in the case of an actual person.
A
Argum
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in an interesting series that adds a new character to the mix. This is still narrated by John Watson, but Sherlock and Lucy are working together in full knowledge this time. The Germans are still at it and this time they are even deadlier. They travel to Germany in search of a super electric weapon. Tesla is involved but others designed basically a death ray. It is missing/stolen/missing again. No one is quite who they seem. Lucy and Sherlock make quite a pair
Melanie
I received this book through the goodreads giveaways program. I'll admit, Sherlock Holmes isn't my favorite storyline apparently. The book is okay, I just found it tough to get interested in the story.
Holmes and Watson are called on to investigate a charred dead body. Of course Holmes figures out who it is and who done it, based on details that most would overlook. Along the way he solves other questions in the same fashion.
Katherine
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A convoluted plot

This second book in the Sherlock and Lucy James series continues to delight. The convoluted plot draws in aspects of European history as well as Watson's history of chronicling Sherlock's adventures.
No spoiler alerts here-just read this series if you like Sherlock Holmes and Watson. The addition of a young girl is delightful!
Cathy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too good to be true

I found this story to be confusing; too many characters, both German and English, plus different health spas. Also Sherlock's daughter seems to be more capable than her dad. The book had a good ending and I think I would like to read the next book in the series.
Chelle
If I'd read this it may have ended up 4 * the narrator was not a good fit for me.

The story was a 3-4* and I thought the case/story could have been condensed which would have made it more enjoyable. My daughter (17yrs old) really enjoys this series and rates this particular book as a 3-4* too.
Doreen
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Very true in writing and plot development to the original stories. This is another exciting, nonstop adventure that involves electricity as a possible military weapon . Many interesting, suspicious characters with numerous motives and plots and counterparts lead our intrepid trio from one escapade to the next! Another totally unexpected finale!
David Leonhardt
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top Notch Holmes

I love all things Holmes, and now he has an heir, smashing! This book has all the twists and turns a good mystery should have, keeps you guessing and doesn’t disappoint you when it’s all wrapped up.
Gloria Hunsaker
Good but to much science

It was a fairly good book; it would have been better without all the science b, much of which went over my head.
Michaela
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting twist

The addition of Holmes ha oh my goodness a daughter is an interesting twist to the story. Will read more of these books
Marlene Eck
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
Clifford Moberg
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy Birthday, Holmes!

(Purely by accident, I finished this on Holmes' birthday, which felt appropriate.)

I got this book for free in a giveaway and I'm glad--I'm not sure I would have checked it out otherwise as I'm not usually a fan of books that propose that Holmes had a child. Furthermore, how many times can one woman's eyes flash a dozen different moods per page? Surely women can express emotions through mediums other than their eyes? Sigh.

That said, I enjoyed joining Holmes and Watson on an
skw
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Nobody asked me to review it.

This is the second book in a series called "Sherlock Holmes & Lucy James Mysteries". I've read them both. It promises to be an interesting series. I'll certainly buy the next one when it comes out. The series is set toward the end of Queen Victoria's reign, so it's a similar time frame to the original series. I like that.

At the end of each book in this series there is a set of historical notes. I like that, too. The last
Meg
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much action--one evaded trap/kidnapping/train accident after another--for my taste. Still, the relationships between Holmes and Watson & Holmes and Lucy are worth the read.
Rowan MacBean
I received THE WILHELM CONSPIRACY as an ARC from NetGalley.com.

Top tip: Always read the whole summary before you dive into a book. I only read the first paragraph, and didn't look closely at the cover, so I was unaware of who Lucy James was. I probably wouldn't have requested it if I had; Holmes having a secret/unknown kid is one of the things that will take me out of a fanfic or pastiche the quickest.

But, honestly, I'm glad I missed that line of the summary. Holmes and Watson were the central
Conny
I was a First Read Winner of this book and couldn't wait to get started, since I always enjoyed Sherlock Holmes stories. I did not realize that this was the second book in the series, but this could be a stand alone novel without problems, I never felt lost in the storyline. It was well written but the pacing seemed a bit slow and I found myself falling asleep while reading, which is never a good sign, so it took me a lot longer than usual to finish the book. I also guessed the ending, not ...more
Elaine
I won a Kindle copy of The Whilhelm Conspiracy from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I didn't read the first book in the series but the second book can be read as a standalone as a bit of exposition is provided as to the events of the first book.

I didn't find the political mystery centered around a scientific experiment interesting but that's just me. I also hate politics, could care less about the snotty monarchs named within and all the espionage and subterfuge was just a bit too much.
Charles Robinson
THREE STARS

This book was a Goodreads giveaway that I received and this was a first time read from this author for me. Though it was an interesting read I did find the story and plot a bit confusing at times. Maybe because it was hard for me to try to visualize “The Box.” But I really did enjoy all the characters involved.
Eileen Hall
I can't make up my mind about this novel.
A Sherlock Holmes story given a twist with the addition of a hitherto unknown daughter which I can't quite believe.
A good enough story, but I can't help but think that Sherlock Holmes aficionados would frown on it!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Thomes and Mercer via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
D Nine
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Definitely read like an original Sherlock Holmes novel. Lucy is refreshing and adds normalcy to Sherlock. Writing is, again, apropos for the genre. Just liked it. Didn't feel anticipation to read or to read on for answers. This must be for a certain type of reader. I did appreciate the history notes at the end!
I received this free from AmazonKINDLE.
Kathleen Gray
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Try this if you're open to reading a Sherlock Holmes mystery that's not as traditional as most. Lucy is a terrific addition to the group (and gotta wonder if her name is a tribute to Lucy Liu.) This is a fun quick read with just enough twists and turns. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Barbara Bibins
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, it was a true Sherlock Holmes fashion of a book. I enjoyed Lucy James who is Holmes daughter. I enjoyed Nikola Tesla and his invention reference.
Randy Jorgensen
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock lives!

Another great continuation of the Sherlock Holmes story line. Enjoyable and detailed. I look forward to continued new stories and adventures.
KarnagesMistress
Oct 13, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. It is a Kindle book.

• The Crown Jewel Mystery (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #0.5)
  • Flynn's Christmas: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.1)
  • The Clown on the High Wire: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.2)
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases: Volume 1
  • The Cobra in the Monkey Cage: A Sherlock and Lucy Short Story (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7.3)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Missing Shakespeare (The Watson Files #1)
  • Unquiet Spirits: Whisky, Ghosts, Murder (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #2)
  • The Murder of Patience Brooke (Charles Dickens Investigations #1)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Twain Papers
  • Murder by Ghostlight (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Jones #3)
  • Murder in the Shadows: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 16)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Death at Hungerford Stairs (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Jones #2)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • Murder in Keswick: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Adventure of the Pinched Palimpsest: A New Sherock Holmes Mystery (New Sherlock Holmes Mysteries Book 37)
Charles Veley has loved Sherlock Holmes since boyhood. During one year, he read the entire canon to his then-ten-year-old daughter at evening story time. He is extremely proud of her accomplishments as historical novelist Anna Elliott, and thrilled to be coauthor with her on the Sherlock and Lucy Mystery Series.
Also a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan, he wrote "The Pirates of Finance," a new musical

Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery (7 books)
  • The Last Moriarty (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #1)
  • Remember, Remember (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery, #3)
  • The Jubilee Problem (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #4)
  • Death at the Diogenes Club (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #5)
  • The Return of the Ripper (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #6)
  • Die Again, Mr. Holmes (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7)