Start by marking “The Darkest Warrior (Lords of the Underworld, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Warrior (Lords of the Underworld, #14)

The Darkest Warrior

(Lords of the Underworld #14)

A searing Lords of the Underworld tale by New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter, featuring a beastly prince and the wife he will wage war to keep.

He is ice...

Puck the Undefeated, host of the demon of Indifference, cannot experience emotion without punishment, so he allows himself to feel nothing. Until her. According to ancient prophecy, she is the key to avengi
Published June 26th 2018 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Warrior, please sign up.
Maryknoll This book just made me decide I will not read it. I didn't care how Gena would write the book of supposed HEA of William and Gilly; I only wanted her…moreThis book just made me decide I will not read it. I didn't care how Gena would write the book of supposed HEA of William and Gilly; I only wanted her to end it, gracefully, convincingly and credibly.

Maybe this is me being bitter but I have all the right to because I've been following this series for a DECADE now, DECADE -- ten long years! And one of the things that was so hyped up and, silly me, I really bought into it, was Gilliam.

And now, you mean I will read an HEA other than Gilliam? I don't care how you write the HEA, Gena. I want an ending for them.

Gena, maybe you suffered from writer's block or deus ex machina. I feel for you then.

The pairing is not really important to me but what you made me feel all these years. You made me believe that Gilliam is the real deal. That alone HURTS me. YOU MADE ME BELIEVE.

BUT...

I will not apologize if I won't read this book and skip it entirely. Anyway, I don't mean a thing to you, and my dedication to the series isn't something you ask for.

I'm just one reader. No big deal, right? This book will still sell anyway.

Just remember that I read your books as soon as they were out. I read them in one day and some books I read twice, thrice.

One more hyped up pairing and, again I bought into it, is Galen and Legion. If this pairing doesn't get the HEA they deserve, I will entirely stop reading and following LOTU. This is not a threat but a resolution to my disappointment.

I will wait for December 2018 for Legion and Galen's story. I put faith in that HEA for the past DECADE so I will read it. (less)
CARISSA E I think the real problem with the haters is most of them have decided they are not reading this book because they won't be getting what they want.…moreI think the real problem with the haters is most of them have decided they are not reading this book because they won't be getting what they want. Well i'm in the middle of reading this book and I'm loving it. Before you decide you hate it maybe you should read it. (less)

Ana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
So no William and Gilly? Oh, woe is me.

b90f9a51315e596efc33a72941104fec4422d8121108074c292371e9122d9cd3

After this excruciatingly-long build up, Gilliam are over before they began. In the end, it was all for naught.

0_Jv_N5

This is why we can't have nice things, Gena.

fa951836db98ffe36286bb80266cae29--funny-book-memes-funny-reading

We crave the delectable William. But instead we get some random dude named Puck. Who is a goat. I repeat, he is a GOAT. Or more accurately, a satyr.

Gt_Zp47c

I don't want no goats in my bed. (or in my romance novels)

Willy and Gilly are endgame, at least in my imagination.

P.S. I am waiting for Siobhan/Hades.
♥ℳelody

ETA 12/4/17: Why in the WORLD would you feature a sketch of the very character the heroine of this book no longer ends up with ??!!!!! Why Gena? This is absurd, tacky and shameless. A shameless promotion attempt to "win back" upset fans? Seriously? This doesn't help at all. I'm utterly disgusted and baffled by this. How greedy and tone deaf could you possibly be?

Please authors don't do this. 👇Do Better.

Now I'm back to being ticked off.

I have no words left for this kind of disgusting garbage.
Kat Valentine
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let me start out by saying I like most fans of the Lord's of the underworld have waited for gillian and william to become a couple,but when gena came out and said that William would not be gillian's mate, but it would be puck the undefeated with the demon indifference their was a backlash of fans being pissed and they felt that they had waited all this time and gena had lead them on. Well !! Thats bullshit!!! I knew that gena is one hell of a storyteller and this would rock and it did!!! I'm not ...more
Sophia Triad
Púkinn “Puck” Neale Brion Connacht IV:Demon of Indifference
Butterfly: Not sure where it is located. It seems that it moves all over Puck’s body. It started from his chest.
His curse: He cannot feel anything. No compassion, no envy, no anger, no love. If he feels anything, he becomes weak.

Gillian Shaw—also known as Gillian Bradshaw, Gilly Bradshaw and Jill Brads, depending on which ID she uses:expendable human until she became immortal human.
Supernatural ability: None unless you count the abil
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I JUST SAW THIS.

WHAT THE FUCK. SERIOUSLY. WHAT THE FUCK.

I'M DONE. I'M DEVASTATED. I THINK I MIGHT EVEN CRY. ONE OF MY MOST ANTICIPATED COUPLES EVER FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET. I HAVE NO WORDS. OVER 8 YEARS I ROOTED/ANXIOUSLY WAITED FOR THEM. I WANTED THEM TOGETHER ABOVE ALL ELSE. AFTER ALL THE NEVER ENDING TEASING THAT WENT ON FOR YEARS. SO MANY, MANY YEARS!!!!!!!!
"LIKE SCARLETT WOULD SAY - TEAM GILLIAM." AND EVERYTHING THAT WENT THROUGH IN EVERY BOOK. THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST COUPLE. *CRIES
Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  #
** 1.5-2 "NOPE " STARS **

I tried.

I swear I tried so hard to like it. I tried to support Gillian&Puck. I tried to keep my feelings about #Gilliam and my disappointment towards Gena aside.

But I'm sorry this is such a poorly-plotted story and the character development is almost nonexistent. There is absolutely no chemistry between the leads, the "romance" feels forced and artificial, William is all of a sudden degraded to an annoying sleezball, the conflict of the story is rather childish and
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 STARS
He hadn’t known it at the time, but he’d waited for her, had craved her. Only her. A woman strong enough to feel when he could not. A woman unwilling to let him shut down his own emotions, who knew the rarity of joy, who would settle for nothing less.

Before I get into my review, let's address the pink elephant in the room, shall we? The pairing for Gillian in this book has been a polarizing one, to say the least. Many readers, myself included, were waiting for a Gillian and William
Jenny
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never
Update 28/7/18
So book is out, do I want to read it?
NO, I would rather stick a fork in my eye, and so would a lot of others looking at the ratings, over and out!

description

Update:
Gena Showalter put on facebook
You were not the only one to feel betrayed and I truly hate that I caused people upset and hurt and disappointment! I want readers to know I heard their outcries and I am going to do my best to rebuild trust. I will find a way to make this up to you guys. It's a mission now! (And I am happy to say ther
◊♦ Naomi
This book was a revelation. In my mind, Gillian belonged to William, I genuinely didn't believe otherwise, I respected Gena's decision but my mind was made up, until I read Gillian's story and it all made sense.

If you feel the same way as me, if you feel like Gillian and William were meant to be, I feel your pain, I do. I understand how you must feel about this book too, maybe you don't want to read it, maybe you're done with the entire series and I respect that but, trust me when I say that if
Alyssa Rowley
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lucy Qhuay
Jul 29, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-you-now
Edit: 20th, October, 2017
...and it's not William and Gilly. It's Gilly and some other guy with whom she'll have no real chemistry, I'm sure. I don't think I can properly express the depth of my disappointment and frustration. I feel cheated.

(view spoiler)
Joan
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
A goat! A fucking goat is what Showalter stuck Gilly with after nearly a decade of stringing readers along with Gilly and William. Gilly was a breath of fresh air from all the slutty, shrieking, bimbos in this series. And Showalter pairs her with a goat!

So she decided to kill the series, which never lived up to its potential (no wonder LotU never went hardback) then she spits in the faces readers who made her rich and put her sorry name out there. These arrogant-ass authors. They are selling a p
SerialBookLover
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
OKAY. HOLD THE FUCK UP.

description

Now I've been reading the Lords of the Underworld for years. Y-E-A-R-S. And never, in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I'd be let down this much by someone I admired. PLEASE TELL ME I'M DREAMING. (or that this is some marketing stunt and Ms.Showalter is going to turn around and be like 'gotcha!')

description

I know I'm not the only one here who is disappointed in reading the synopsis of 'The Darkest Warrior'. Fans and myself alike have been anticipating for years on the Gilliam
Victoria Castillo
Update: So you think a sketch is going to make this situation any better huh? Because i don't know what i need...
description

This is dissapointment made a book. I hate everything about this. I hate the fact that Gilly and William aren't together, that i wasted 5 years of my life shipping them and now i'm so riddicously mad about it. I hate that Gilly is paired up with Puck (wtf?) i don't give one single dick about the fact that he may be interesting or shit. Furried cocks aren't my thing. Nope. I hate the f
Alice Wulf
*clicks on book link*
*reads summary*

For YEARS I have patiently waited for William and Gilly's book, so sure that all their scenes together and all the mentions about their feelings for each other would be leading somewhere.

So WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

This random ass fucking character gets introduced in the last book, and suddenly he's a thing now? Forget 10+ books of backstory and character growth for William and Gilly, this RANDOM DUDE is apparently perfect for her.

Farewell Lords of the Under
Cali
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Update 11/07/2018

Well...i finally read it. I wanted to know how Gilly was going to be developed so i decided to give this a chance. Big mistake.
The whole "character development, big, badass warrior" propaganda for Gilly ended up with the poor girl being thrown away in a Narnia style realm where time goes faster, and she ends up aging a lot faster than Puck, so while the goat-man is up to no good, being a mean goat-man and doing goat-man things, Gilly passes 500 years no less becoming Xena the wa
Book Obsessed Chick
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
How An Author Kills Her Career Vol 1

I’m done with you. Hope you enjoy killing this series and your career. Nine years of a build up and you decide to do this to your fans? What kind of an author are you? Yeah. No. I won’t be picking up another of your books for the rest of my life which is really sad. I remember being a teen and buying one of your books off the shelves and falling in Love.

In my heart, and the hearts of MANY, it’ll always be Gilliam.

Gilliam, you hear me?

Do whatever you want wi
Emma
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Luckylovesbooks
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
What just happened?
I can't even-- I'm about to actually cry right now. I'm done with this series- seriously. All the teasers we got about William and Gilly and in the end? She's gonna end up with a god damn goat. I have a teeny tiny amount of hope that Gena will turn this around and have Gilly end up with William, but I really doubt that. I don't even wanna read Williams story anymore. The way he was with Gilly... I feel like it would be wrong to read about his feelings for another woman.

We're
Eleighna
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018-release
Pre-order CANCELLED!

HOW TO DEVALUE AUTHENTICITY AS AN AUTHOR:

1. Capitalize on readers interest and anticipation of a story for Gillian and William

2. Capitalize on the IMPLIED story of “Gillian and William” by acknowledging and CONFIRMING that the story will happen in the future

3. Capitalize on the IMPLIED story by integrating the acknowledged and CONFIRMED story throughout multiple books; there by influencing and confirming readers decision to continue reading the series

Capitalize on False Ad
Jennie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-not-read
why! why in the world would you do this!!!!! i am speechless! dear god! 11 books! 11 BOOKS! and now she wants puck and gilly! no, just no! good bye, and goodbye forever! this is so BS.... #gilliam deserves better!

03/12/18:

i am hurt. this series was the first non YA books i got into. ever since the first book i was hooked. seriously! gilliam was the pair i've been rooting for since they introduced the idea of them together! i mean she even put a ship name together "GILLIAM"! she honestly lost me
Fabiola Chenet
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
For the first time in my life, I understand why readers sometimes quote a book that is not published yet. I'm doing it now because I am SO angry about this plot! How could Gena Showalter do that to her fans, and to fans of this series? I told myself since the last book that if William and Gilly were not to be together, I will NEVER read another book in this series. So Gena decided to do it. Well, not a problem, an author can do as she wants. I hope she's ready to lose a ton of fans, included me. ...more
JustJoi
Nov 07, 2017 marked it as author-to-avoid
William and Gillian's interaction- the snippets from the past... #Gilliam- the greatest love story LoTU universe will never have.

Excerpt from Gena Showalter’s Darkest Touch

Keeley tore her gaze from Torin. Deal with him later.
Always later. The story of her life.
“So...why the huge crowd?” asked a voice Keeley couldn’t place.
William set his drink aside and stood. No longer the picture of relaxed depravity, he morphed into a bona fide pillager—ready to spring and attack...to devour.
Keeley had ne
Shan(Littleirishbookcat)
Scholar
AFTER READING:

SPOILERS AHEAD, BE WARNED!

I loved the pairing. I loved the book.

Gilly and Puck's character development surprised me more than Gena's decision to pair them up. I loved how the story evolves and how it all came to an end. In the previous books, Gilly was not that much of an interesting character for me but she grows a lot in this book - and for me it is believable. Puck is tormented by the demon of Indifference and by his broken relationship with his brother Sin. Sin, on the other h
Angie
Oct 21, 2017 added it
Oooohhh my goodness I don't know how to start. I don't even know how to express my disgust/rage/disappointment/nausea over this mess. I'll try my hardest.

Okay. So. We get teased for 11 books - 11 FREAKING BOOKS - about Gilly and William. Their relationship was teased beautifully. It was the one unique and best slow building relationship in this series. For God's sake, I've stuck with it for 11 books! I can't even stick with my 1 hour episode of tv without getting bored and jumping ship. All of
Teresa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can not believe after all my time and money invested in this series and this is how Ms Showalter treats her readers. What a colossal waste of time and build up. Thanks, but no thanks. She was one of my auto-buy authors, no more. I might consider reading her other series, but she won’t get anymore of my money - ever. This is what happens when you abuse your reader’s trust.

7.11.18 Updated Review: I broke down and read the book (free from my library). I wanted to see if there was even the slighte
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
Seriously considering taking this off my to-read list after the HEA fake-out. That's some Charlane Harrison shit right there...
Mariana

"ETHICAL VALUES
Honesty – to be forthright in dealings with customers and stakeholders. To this end, we will:

Strive to be truthful in all situations and at all times.
Offer products of value that do what we claim in our communications.
Stand behind our products if they fail to deliver their claimed benefits.
Honor our explicit and implicit commitments and promises."
Reference: AMA website
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Warrior (LOTU #14) 17 127 Oct 06, 2018 06:06AM
Am I the only one who doesn't want Gilly to end up with William? 13 121 Jun 30, 2018 07:19PM
Gonna give it a chance 4 31 Jun 27, 2018 01:52PM
Reverse Harem Rev...: The Darkest Warrior (Lords of the Underworld #14) Discussion 7 57 Jun 16, 2018 11:48AM
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)
“As if I couldn't pick you out of a crowd of thousands, lass."
- Puck to Gillian”