Start by marking “The Roots of Us” as Want to Read:
The Roots of Us

The Roots of Us

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The first time I saw Hudson Jameson, he was saving someone’s life.

The second time, he was ruining mine.

It was only supposed to be a vacation. A chance to let the Florida sun burn away the residue left behind from my failed relationships. I wasn’t searching for love. I was on a hiatus from men, especially ones with secrets.

Except Hudson had the gaze of a man drowning in h
Published May 17th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Roots of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roots of Us

Dri ✰
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
★ 3 stars!! ★

“I never feared being blunt. Or being the first to engage. If I saw something or someone I wanted, I went after it. Life was too short to follow the rules of formality. I made my own rules, and I stuck by them when it came to men and sex. Three to be exact.
1. Don’t ever let a man make me feel less than I am.
2. Don’t wait around for a man to make a move if I’m into him.
3. Don’t fall in love. Ever.

Essa é a Hartley. Franca, independente e aventureira. Nunca permanecendo em um lu
Liber_Lady
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

This Book was a wonderful book which focussed on forgiveness and overcoming the hurt caused by the deep-rooted past circumstances.

There are three main characters in this book - Hartley, Huson and James.

Hartley - She is immensely independent and doesn’t ever want to rely on men for her happiness. She is a photographer and an editor. She travels all around and lives her life running from one place to another. The moment she star
Romance Schmomance (Malia)

BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS | INSTAGRAM

**AN ARC WAS GRACIOUSLY PROVIDED FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN**

I can honestly say that I've never had a book challenge me the way The Roots of Us did. For a huge chunk of the book, I was so extremely disappointed with the many decisions that the heroine made, but at the time, I wasn't noticing the bigger picture that Hartley was slowly working towards. This book isn't quite the love story I was looking for, but it turned out t
Anne OK
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Surprisingly different from what I expected in all the best ways! I was thoroughly mesmerized by this new-to-me author's excruciatingly honest and heart wrenching message. The story is beautiful and poignant; the characters were all battered and scarred by childhoods filled with neglect and hurt.

The main characters, Hartley, Hudson and Silas, are joined by an equally engaging secondary cast. As they say, it takes a village . . . and this one needed every single character to bring the tale to fr
Talon
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
“But don’t we all have something festering beneath the surface? We wouldn’t be human if we didn’t.”

The Roots of Us was your typical cliché book. Lost and sad girl meets boy. They touch on accident. They feel a shock, a connection. They look at each other in the eyes and all of the sudden their universes align. They fall in love. Some one has secrets. They fight. And so on and so on. Insta-love in a sort, but not the best in my opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed this author’s writing though. It was
Briennai Jackson
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This romance novel discusses how people who have been hurt before by someone that they love, learn to love again. Both Hartley and Hudson had at least one of their parents leave them sometime in their childhood, and Hudson even had his brother leave him. They are reluctant to trust each other, but soon they start to warm up to each other and fall for each other. Then Hartley gets a dream job opportunity that will take her away from Hudson. In deciding to go, she breaks things off with Hudson. Sh ...more
Kendall {Book Crazy}
I've read all of this author's contemporary and paranormal books and she has such a way with words that I always look forward to a new release from her! Her last contemporary book was also amazing, so I couldn't wait to read another one from her lol! I signed up to review this book as soon as sign-ups became available and started reading my ARC as soon as I received it! After reading, I can say that I loved this book a lot! The plot did go in a different direction to what I was expecting, but I ...more
Becky Rendon
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Roots of Us is the emotionaly stunted journey of a woman so desperate not to love she doesn't realize she's too late. It's painful. It's intense. The Roots of Us is all the negative bullish!t we try to hide in the shadows being brought to light. It's a reminder of our flaws and our shortcomings.

The Roots of Us is my first be this author. Once I finish wiping my tears away I will see what else she has because I enjoyed having my heart stomped on. I enjoyed feeling lost. I enjoyed figuring th
Anne Milne
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another new to me author and I think this was a good one to get started on.

I enjoyed the story of Hartley and Hudson, two broken people who gravitate towards each other no matter how hard they try to resist. This book was a slow burner for me but that's not a bad thing as we get real character development. We see all facets of love not just the fluffy stuff but the horrible bitter pain that love and abandonment can bring.

A well written love story full of emotion.

reviewed by Sweet Spot Sisterhood
Elena Love
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!*

The synopsis of this one intrigued me immensely and I couldn't help but wonder whether it will be like every other Romance novel I've unfortunately stumbled upon recently! Which means underdeveloped, with any significant meaning or plot and full of cringe worthy moments that actually deserve an award. No, The Roots of Us was none of those things because you know what? It almost reach
MRIDULA
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kudos to Hartly and Hudson, who made it to their destine through infinite hardships and wrong decisions.

The Roots of Us is a bittersweet love story of Hudson and Hartley, that takes us through issues such as abandonment and sacrifice.

The first thing I loved about the story was that Hudson and Hartley are two totally opposite people. Hartly is loud and spontaneous, Hudson is calculative. While Hartly believes in running away from her problems, Hudson believes in facing his demons and solving the
Kim Owens
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.”

There are not enough good things that I can say about this book. I was completely unfamiliar with Candace Knoebel, and didn’t even know what genre this book was in when I started reading. I was drawn in completely by the end of the first chapter. It is a beautiful, poignant story of loss, betrayal, and forgiveness.
Hartley is a runner. Abandoned by her father at a young age, and poisoned towards men by her mother’s b
Catty Jane
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** ARC Received for Honest Review ***

Wow talk about angsty! Here are two people Hartley and Hudson who have been scarred by their past. Hartley has learned from her mother that men, in particular her father, leave; that love is an illusion and to not chase it. So she doesn't. Hartley is a free spirit going where she wants, when she wants and following her one true love...her career.

In contrast, Hudson is rooted in his home waiting for forgiveness, never following his own desires for li
Kasey McCarthy
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hartley meets Hudson when he saves a little girl in the water. Hartley sits with the little girl and helps her warm up until her mother is found. Hudson is a very quiet man but Hartley feels a connection right away. They both try to fight it but they keep running into each other. Hartley isn’t looking for a relationship. She travels for her job and in a lot of ways runs when things get tough. Her father left her as a child and it effected how she loves. Hartley and Hudson agree to enjoying each ...more
Everly Reads
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dual-pov
Okay one of my rare 5 stars of 2018.

I took a minute to fully digest this book and I have to say I truly loved it. It's my first read from this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
There are moments of "insta love" like feels which usually turn me off but I just kept wanting to know their story. Hudson is a great hero in this. The first time Hartley sees him he's a hero and then he's an unlikely one.

I thought Hartley was great in this. She was jaded but honest, even when it was painful. I think
Sylvie Rochon
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love and forgiveness

That is truly the theme of this story! Hartley is broken although she does not acknowledge it! The supporting characters in the story bring lessons, wisdom, and clarity to a subject that plagues so many of us, abandonment! The ripples of being abandonned by a loved and trusted one cuts deep and infects every fragment of our lives if we let it!!! This story gives hope that we can fix those issues if and when we choose to! Love and forgiveness, letting go and choosing another p
Suzana
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
FIVE STARS

*copy of this book generously provided by the author and I’m leaving an honest review*

OMG this book was so good, riveting, heartbreaking and romantic. I’m still having a lot of feelings just thinking about it. I loved everything about it, enjoyed every second and minute I spent reading and couldn’t put it down. I was drawn and pulled into a story from start to finish. This storyline was so different from what I used to read, but that’s what I like the most about it. The author is simpl
Candace Tidwell
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will put your emotions through the ringer. Sheesh! I'm NOT a cryer and even my eyes got leaky. Life... I'm not sure if it's the message the author is trying to portray but after you dive into this book and follow the characters you may just start asking yourself questions. Love found, love lost, estranged siblings and choosing your path. The book is deep and heavy but I will say I truly enjoyed it. Buy it, read it and be sure to grab a tissue box.
Amy
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs to read this book!!! Its beautiful, powerful, emotional!! You get lost in the story and the lives of the characters!! The message is about love, loss, forgiveness and second chances!! It keeps you captivated with shocking twists and turns it will blow you away! It's written so beautifully! I fell in love !!! I really love that the author captured the essence of the story so well! You feel it to your core!!! I cant wait to read more!
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hudson is a bear of a man that pushes everyone away. Hartley doesn't need pushing, she runs. But in the end can she run in to Hudson's arms.

I quite like this type of writing, it isn't a hearts and flowers kind of love story. But somehow that makes it more real.

Hopefully Silas's story is on it's way.
Emily ~Social Butterfly PR~
A story I will never forget...

I just finished this story and don't even know where to begin. This is definitely a book that will make you think, make you angry, make you swoon, and make you want to read it all over again.

Bravo Candace! Thank you for writing this and for sharing just a little but if yourself with the world. I won't be forgetting this anytime soon.
Jo
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be a short(ish) review.  Why?  Because this book can essentially be summed up in one word - beautiful.

It's been a while since I read a book where the characters actually set the butterflies in my stomach going, but this managed it.  Emotional, character driven storytelling at its best.

I adored this.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Christine Cartwright
Amazing!!

This book was so emotional for me that I cried, laughed, got angry, and smiled with every word that was written. Hartley is the girl that so much of us are that you couldn't help feeling every part of who she is. Hudson is the man that we all wish to find and love. Silas is the friend we all need. Great book!!
Nancy
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional, roller coaster ride, with a wide range of peaks and valleys. I never knew if I was going to be angry, sad, tearful and or happy. If you truly enjoy a love story that makes you feel like it could have been written about parts of your life...then grab this one, hold on and enjoy the ride. I volunteered an honest review for this ARC.
Alison Phillips
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading another book by this author I decided to read this one and wow, what an unexpected gift. Loved it hard, was really good. I laughed, cried, swooned and fell in love.
Highly recommend it peeps!!!
Rachel
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Candace Knoebel is a brand new to me author and I am IN LOVE!! This story had all the feels. I felt like this is one of the most realistic love stories I have read in a long time. Pick this one up today - you will not be disappointed!
Gena
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.0
Jax
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea how I stumbled across this book. It was difficult getting into, but beautiful once it blossomed.
Allison
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book that tells of a romance that starts small growing to be an epic love story that neither leading character wants to acknowledge. The failure of acknowledgement leads the characters to part only to find later that their love was the only real relationship either has ever had.
Melissa
Jun 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Candace Knoebel is a hopeless romantic with an affinity for whiskey and good music. Her love of words began when she met the boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs. She's a self-proclaimed Lost Girl. Words are her mirror.

With two completed series, her work ranges from paranormal to contemporary, all centered heavily around romance.

Currently she lives in Florida with her husband and two c