Start by marking “Independence Denied” as Want to Read:
Independence Denied

Independence Denied

With Independence Day near, Brad Marshall is expecting another routine day at his job as a research assistant. Then he sees a peculiar creature on one of the screens at work. While the rest of the world focuses on a sudden rash of devastating natural disasters, Brad is transfixed by the image he’s seen. He refuses to give up until he knows what it is. The answer he finds, ...more
Published July 1st 2017 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Independence Denied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Independence Denied

Start your review of Independence Denied
Candace Robinson
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third short story from Demmer that I have read, and it's just what I need in between reading longer novels. The creepiness was on point, and the ending was awesome!!! Review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Dianne
Independence Day, fireworks, barbecues, a celebration of America’s independence as a nation, right? Leave it to Calvin Demmer to add a little darkness to a day meant to bolster the spirits of a nation who fought hard for this day so long ago, proving that just maybe we should treasure each holiday, because who knows when it will be the last under his dark and twisted little pen?

INDEPENDENCE DENIED is a wrap for Mr. Demmer’s Dark Celebrations series of short tales that leaves no celebration unscathed and what better wpen?
INDEPENDENCE
Theresa Braun
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Demmer is a talented storyteller. All of his tales can be devoured in one sitting--it's over before you know it, which makes it easy to binge-read his work. This one really packs a punch, especially since he includes a bit of social commentary, something he doesn't do that often. Set in Florida (oddly, where I currently live, which made this so much more fun), we see the world through Brad's eyes--a world gone mad with a sudden wave of natural disasters and a creature that looms off the coast so ...more
S.J. Budd
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark Celebrations is a series I've really enjoyed reading and can't wait to see Calvin Demmer's future projects. Independence Denied is the darkest tale of them all in this series. We're introduced to Brad Marshall, just another regular guy looking forward to celebrating Independence Day.

But suddenly all hell breaks loose, there's multiple reports of earthquakes, tsunami's striking all four corners of the world. Brad Marshall just wants to bury his head in the sand than watch of the
S.E. Casey
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As the latest and last short story in Demmer's Dark Celebrations series, there is an interesting parallel between Independence Day and the monster story that this book is. Of course, there is a list of seemingly never-ending geo-political threats to our existence: war, nuclear disasters, infectious disease, and terrorism, to name a few, which loom over us although we are able to compartmentalize our anxiety and rationalize that someone else is 'taking care' of it. But what if no one is? What hap ...more
Sheilah
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the beginning of this story, but was not so sure about the ending. I needed more content to make it sustainable for me. Overall, a bit anti-climatic feeling. I think my biggest critique is a need to feel more. Perhaps more showing of the emotions would elicit this for me. Still though, I like the uniqueness of each of Demmer's stories — none two are the same. For a collection of short stories by the same author, he has maintained an individuality for each story that is commendable.
Sunshine Somerville
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great last addition to the Dark Celebrations. I've enjoyed every single one, and this one didn't disappoint at all. The set-up is fast in this one as the action takes over pretty quickly, and poor Brad gets caught up in something you certainly wouldn't expect on an average 4th of July.
I loved how subtly this felt like a modern Lovecraft story. The description of the Cthulhu-esque god/monster is quick but leaves a solid picture in your mind. The ending was horrific and perfect.
Darren Dilnott
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb cosmic horror short

Calvin Demmer really is a superb writer. Independence Denied is an excellent Lovecraftian style horror short, which tells of the destructive arrival of the super star of the Cthulhu Mythos.
M.R. Tapia
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Calvin Demmer brings the Dark Celebrations series to a close with a BANG! Independence Denied comes of as if H.P. Lovecraft would have written the book of Revelations! Another great read from Demmer that I highly recommend!
HorrorLivez
Antonn Park
May 02, 2019
Candace Nola
Jun 06, 2019

• The Kennedy Boys Box Set (Books 4 - 7)
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Dearest Clementine: Dark and Romantic Monstrous Tales
  • Hardened Hearts
  • Deadman's Tome: Monsters Exist
  • Torn (Selfish Myths, #2)
  • The Guardian of Blackbird Inn
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Scarlet Huntress
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Lullaby of Flames
  • Caged (Talented Saga, #2)
  • Talented (Talented Saga, #1)
  • Hold on to Hope
  • Unite Me (Shatter Me, #1.5, #2.5)
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.