Start by marking “Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016” as Want to Read:
Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016

A collection of thirty-three award-winning short stories and a novella, each about one-of-a kind characters solving serious problems in challenging settings. The stories are crafted by William H. Coles with artistic intensity for engagement and entertainment. Each short story is illustrated by one of six artists commissioned for the story. Coles’s stories are inspiring, me ...more
ebook
Published June 26th 2017 by William H. Coles

Be the first to ask a question about Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016

Start your review of Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016
Grady
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories for every taste

Utah author William H. Coles, MD is a retired Ophthalmologist whose medical career was internationally lauded for his expertise as an ophthalmic surgeon specializing in ocular injury repair and reconstruction, a professor and chairman at SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine, a Regent for The American College of Surgeons, president of the Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology, and lecturer on mechanistic biologic ophthalmic research and ophthalmic surgery interna
Pegboard
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I stood in awe of the amazing writing skills of William H. Coles in Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016. This collection of short stories will not leave you with that fuzzy feeling of happy endings, but you will view humanity in times of our darker acts. Each mesmerizing piece touches a raw nerve that leaves you questioning choices that were made. After each story I end thinking “this is the one that is my favorite”, until I finish the next story. I am left inspired as I dig ...more
Brian Williams
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I read the contents of the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles, I feel like the world around me is gone. It’s only me, my book, the wondrous stories of the author, and the perfectly drawn illustrations for each one.

When I started reading the first story called “The Gift”, I immediately knew I was in for a good ride.

“The gift” was about a young woman who became pregnant at a young age. She felt like her mother was ashamed of her because of this. She was even sent to a convent whi
Mary Hall
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me share the things that I love about this book: EVERYTHING.

First off, let me start with the cove. The black minimalist design of the letters and the lettering of the words “Short Fiction” are extremely witty and original. The words “Short Fiction” even contains a collage of the different stories inside the book. How creative!

Second, let us talk about the contents. I couldn’t summarize all the unbelievable works of William H. Coles, but I can verify the glory of its contents. It has varying
Jennifer Wright
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a single reader of this book hasn’t probably mouthed the words “wow” every time they’d finish an entry of short fiction or see an illustration from this book.

Speaking of illustrations, my personal favorite is the works of Peter Healy. As an artist, I think he is flexible. I believe he has the greatest number of artworks in this book. I particularly love his minimalist works – the ones with only black and white aesthetic.

Meanwhile, I am not surprised by the mind-blowing stories written by W
Priya Gupta
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first, it hadn’t yet reached my radar that a perfect set of fictional stories existed until I read the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles. What’s even more wonderful is that each story contains pretty and inimitable illustrations done by brilliant artists. It even has two graphic novels, and I can't stay calm when I talk about this book.

My favorite part of the book would be a short story called “Speaking of the Dead”. It put me in awe when I realized that two of the cast were draw
Margaret Scott
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I am on cloud nine every time I read this book.

The Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016 is a book that carries stories about love, trust, family, and acceptance. The list goes on. The characters in each story either try to solve conflicts and problems. On the other hand, some characters accept things the way they are.
The book also includes amazing visuals. It has the artworks of outstanding artists.

Not a day passes by that I don't think of at least one story fro
Jason Anderson
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t fathom the works of the mind of William H. Coles. To author a book with 36 incredible stories is wildly outstanding. Not only does the book showcase the author’s creativity, but it also displays the brilliance and skills of various illustrators. Each story comes with an artwork that screams magnificence.

With stories that circulate various themes, the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016 will let you meet different characters you will surely love. The short stories w
Betty Nelson
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Allow me to share one of my favorite stories in this book. It is called “The Gift”. It is about a woman who got pregnant at an early age. Of course, her mother became hysterical. The pregnant young woman was sent to a French convent, where she’d spent her pregnancy. She gave birth to a baby with no legs. She went home, and she felt like her mother was ashamed of her and the baby.

With this story, I realized that some people can’t show love. They try, but they can’t show it. It is always important
Donna Perez
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is one illustration from this book that I cannot stop thinking about. It was a cover on a story entitled: "Facing Grace with Gloria." The illustration shows an old man sitting in a wheelchair. I cannot explain why I adore the picture, but I have always believed that this is the definition of art; it will make you feel things.

Apart from special illustrations, this book provides readers with a series of short fictional stories. These stories aren't typical and cliché ones. They are distinct
Ronald Clark
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have a lot of favorite stories from William H. Coles' Illustrated Collection, but one caught my eyes, it was entitled "The Necklace".

It was about two couples who are currently on a tour of India. One couple is in a relationship, John and Helen, and Anwar and Betsy have been married for sixteen years. One would think that since they've been married for sixteen years, their love would be stronger than the couple in a relationship, but this story contradicts that. While touring India, Helen noti
Deborah Collins
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is one of the books where the author is not afraid to address crime, religion, prejudices, murder, sex, and more of the world's flaws in more ways than one.

There is one story that I admired the struggles of the main character, "Speaking of the Dead" centers on the life of John who is a recent widow, there is one catch though, his wife cheated on him right before she died. He is supposedly in charge of writing the eulogy for his dead wife when he mees his stepdaughter's roommate, Henri.
Irish Travis
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is not every day I come across a book as enticing as this one, William H. Coles has surely outdone himself this time.

Sixteen years of writing short stories, graphic novels, and novellas that will lure everyone into a world of surreal realities, Illustrated Short Fiction accurately depicts normal situations to the ones that make a person a social pariah. It is enjoyable, and as I read through the book, I realized that even the rarest occasions can happen in real life, there's no saying it can'
Rose Mute
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of stories and illustrations. The author is able to create a "what would you do if it was you?" moment in every story. It contains unexpected endings and endearing characters. Out of the 33 stories, 2 graphic and novella, a reader is spoilt for choice on favourites .Being a lover of stories that are dark, my favourites were ; The Bear, Dilemma, The Cart Boy, Suchin's escape, The wreck of Dr. Amtrak silver service and the Thirteen nudes of Ernest Goings.
I would recommend th
John Smith
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who says that reading a compilation of short stories is boring has not read the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016.

My experience with this book will forever be beyond compare. There are times where my bones jumped out of my body, and there are times where I couldn't help but shed a tear. The plots are unexpected. I feel like my body releases a huge amount of dopamine every time I read this book (yes, I have read it more than once).

You will admire the stories. You wi
Ava WILLIAMS
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
To make an engaging story and wrap it up as a short one is such a skill that only William H. Coles can master. In this book, Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016, Mr. Coles not only made one but 36 amazing short stories.

Each narrative conveys different storylines, but all of them captured my heart. I am particularly overwhelmed by their endings. I wouldn’t consider them as a cliffhanger, but they were enough to blow my mind.

I find some stories suspenseful and thrilling, and
Charles Jones
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
If I had to pick one favorite story from the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016, I pick none. Each one of them is my favorite. If you encounter a compilation of William H. Coles’ works, you cannot pick the best because all of them are made with the highest class of quality. Even if they are made with different themes, and you find one that you’re fairly fond of, you cannot ignore all the other different stories because they are equally exceptional.

This book has taught me so
David Miller
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To encounter an author with a book containing a lot of brilliant stories is such a blessing for me and a lot of readers all over the world!

This book, Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016, will keep you entertained to the greatest extent. Not only does it have the widest compass of stunning short stories, but each story also contains powerful, beautiful, and sublime illustrations.

This book will also shower you with a lot of life lessons. An example, which I learned, was about
Donald Wilson
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like William H. Coles took all my favorite stories and made them into this one amazing book, The Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016.

This book has 33 short stories, two graphic novels, and a novella. It also has the most incredible artworks that my eyes have ever laid on. Each of the stories has different themes and plot twists, but all have equally enlightened my mind and taught me groundbreaking life lessons.

The subject matter of each story covers love, acceptance,
Barbara Hernandez
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Through this book, one could see the bewildering details of the works of the author, William H. Coles, with the illustrators, Peter Healy, Betty Harper, Dilleen Marsh, David Riley, and Anna Sokolova.

If you asked me what my favorite short story fiction was, I’d answer the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016 since it contained all of thirty-six of them. If I could narrow them down into different themes, it's making a long list since this book has touched on every theme possibl
Elizabeth King
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always thought that reading a compilation of short fiction stories would be boring and dull. William H. Coles proved me wrong with this book.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles embodies life-changing short stories, each with its original diegesis, with its own theme. Each story upholds valuable life teachings, which to think, is hard to obtain in a few pages of reading. William Coles did it flawlessly.

All in all, the short fiction stories (plus two illustrative novels) will ma
Maria Lopez
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With this book, all the good things in this world have been combined.

William H. Coles is the only author that has the key to my heart – and my brain, technically. He is the writer that could make me pause, stare blankly into space, and feel everything he writes. That happened to me while reading the Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles.

This book is a combination of William Coles’ short story works, which is quite ironic since it will also cause you to feel a combination of feelings. T
Kenneth Jackson
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On a scale of one to ten, this book is an eleven.

It isn’t every day you get to encounter a good short fictional story. In this book, you encounter 36 of them! I’ve always thought that there will be dull and colorless moments once I start reading this book. I thought wrong! Continuously, the short stories give you the thrill and excitement you are looking for.

Also, after I finished reading the first two chapters, I’m quite glad that it contains some religiosity in them. There was a quote I liked
Kevin White
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to talk about “Speaking of the Dead”, my best-loved story in this book.

“Speaking of the Dead” is about a man who lost his wife and his wife’s daughter in a car accident. He had to attend the funeral and talk for the eulogy. The depth of this story is overwhelming. The wife was already cheating on the man for four years before she died. It’s hard to say a good eulogy to a dead person who did you wrong and never apologized. In the story, the man did, anyway. It spoke volumes, and it taught
Matthew Martin
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot begin to describe the stories and the graphic novels in this book. They are all so good they literally make my jaw drop with every subtle plot twist and conflict-solving scenes.

William H. Coles knows how to end a story. He does it in ways that could leave a reader's mind blown.

The first story taught me there will always be people who will care, and those people will not necessarily be your family. The second story taught me about forgiveness. Some people may have hurt you, but that doe
Lisa Adams
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My whole being has been touched by the stories in Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles 2000-2016. It has themes that are so engaging and surprising. I had my eyes on stalks.

I can’t seem to control my tears and my laughter while reading this book. Sometimes, I’d even feel speechless because of my admiration for the greatness of these stories.

My favorite part would be about a man who purposely hid the documents of his wife so that his wife wouldn’t get the chance to go with him across th
Carol Roberts
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Personally speaking, no one could ever compete with William H. Coles when it comes to short fiction stories. He is always so authentic and superior.

In this book, he gives the readers the ability to walk through different stories and plots in one go! He even provided illustrations professionally done by world-class artists. There is much creativity in this. He even vaguely talked about serious global issues while telling the most interesting stories. He was able to address cheating, figuring out
Steven Rodriguez
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would not normally go for books that are compilations of short stories, novellas, and others, but I did not regret that I took the time to read this one at all.

I have a lot of favorites from the book, but it would take too long for me to talk about them all; instead, I'll go with two stories that struck me the most, "The Gift" and "Sister Carrie", both have the theme of love and family which would pique anyone's interests. Both are similar and different. In "The Gift", Catherine's mother, Agn
Belinda Anderson
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book by William H. Coles, Illustrated Short Fiction has different short stories, novellas, and graphic novels to keep you entertained! The style of the author used imagery, realistic descriptions, and witty dialogues to enhance the aura of the book. Although fictional, the stories were realistic, beautiful, and interesting.

I enjoyed reading the stories especially "The Gift", "Suchin's Escape", "The Necklace", and "The Amish Girl". I would suggest readers who prefer fictional novels a
Patricia Brown
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
William Coles has his own adaptations about the issues, social issues in specific, and the situations that surround them. He made sure the stories in the book were literary fiction at its finest.

One thing I noticed about the stories was that there are two types of love: the light, fun and happy love, and the deep, dark, and intense romance. The themes all connect from the first story "The Gift" down to the last novella "Sister Carrie".

I loved how Coles was able to capture emotions in detail, wo
« previous 1 3 next »

• Harvest of Souls Crossover Part 2
  • The Virus of Beauty
  • A Recluse No More: Battling with the Dragons of the Mind
  • A Bitter Wind (Time Entanglement #1)
  • Through the Redwood Hollow
  • The Optical Lasso: Beware of Neptune's Dark Side
  • Poems: Reflecting the Truth-Volume One: Over Fifty Years Researching the Truth
  • Ready or Not, Here I Come
  • Three Degrees and Gone
  • For You, My Child
  • The Art of Creating Story
  • The Emerald Home Run
  • Not All Who Wander Need Be Lost: Stories of Hope for Families Facing Alzheimer's and Dementia
  • You're on Your Own
  • Zen and the Art of Funk Capitalism: A General Theory of Fallibility
  • All in: Living, Not Dying with ALS: A Journey of Faith
  • The Great Confrontation
  • Harvest of Souls Crossover
I am the owner and developer of the website Story in Literary Fiction as well as several mobile applications. I've written all of the content on my website: short stories, novels, essays, interviews and produced downloadable-audio readings of stories. I've also written several novels. My interviews include: prominent authors, educators, writers and editors.

In addition, I'm the producer and reader

News & Interviews