Start by marking “The Betrayals” as Want to Read:
The Betrayals

The Betrayals

None of them would forget that week on the wild Norfolk coast.

Best friends Rosie and Lisa's families had always been inseparable.

But that summer, Lisa had an affair with Rosie's husband Nick. And now, after years of silence, she sends Rosie a letter begging for help. A letter which exposes dark secrets.

Daughter Daisy's fragile hold on reality begins to unravel.

Teenage son
Kindle Edition, The Richard & Judy Book Club Pick 2017, 396 pages
Published August 10th 2017 by Penguin (first published August 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Betrayals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betrayals

Start your review of The Betrayals
Paromjit
Fiona Neill casts a knowledgeable and expert eye on the modern contemporary family as it experiences breakdown and betrayal, with the consequent devastating ripple effects on everyone concerned through the years. This psychological family drama almost feels less like fiction and more like reality, that is how good Fiona Neill's writing is. Rosie Rankin and her best friend, Lisa, are close friends from schooldays. Rosie marries Nick, an academic with an interest in the nature of human memory, and ...more
Mandy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of two families, and the impact on each member when the husband of one couple has an affair with the wife of the other couple, and the two leave their respective families to be together.
I enjoyed this book very much, more so quite frankly, than I expected. I didn't particularly like any character, but I found that this in no way hampered my enjoyment of this book.
I thought that some of the narration in the book, in particular Nick talking about Gregorio, really funny and at
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Holy smokes Batman. That book just consumed me totally. I'm baffled I'm the fifth reviewer and the only one yet to give it five stars. This is a powerful, emotional and cleverly plotted novel that is in my short list of Top 17 Reads in 2017.

You love dysfunctional characters in novels? Take your pick. So many here to choose from and it made for riveting reading. The writing in this is very clever, there are strong messages everywhere and it hooked and utterly entertained me. Sublime authorship.

Michelle
I am thrilled to say that this book was a wonderful surprise!

I LOVED THIS!!!

Okay, I'll admit that I am a sucker for stories of dysfunctional families. The Betrayals is that and more. Fiona Neill kept me riveted to the pages. I. COULD. NOT. PUT. THIS. DOWN.

Rosie and Lisa have been best friends since they were little girls and as they grew up over the years and went on to begin their own families they continued that friendship.

Rosie is married to Nick and they have two children Daisy and Max.
Pauline
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a story about family relationships and deception. It tackles some very sensitive topics including adultery, divorce, cancer and OCD. The characters were not particularly likeable but I thought that the writing was very good. I would like to thank NetGalley, Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Zoe Mann
'The betrayals' by Fiona Neill is a mystery/thriller focussing on 2 best friends and how their lives become entwined, messy and ultimately end in tragedy. 'The betrayals' is told from different POV and Neill has this style mastered. Many novels are telling the story from different character POV at the moment and for most it doesn't work however it suits 'The betrayals' perfectly. The writing style deepens the story by displaying different characters memories and emotions of the same event and ...more
Dannii Elle
Two present day families seem fractured beyond repair. Lisa is now married to her former best friend, Rosie's, husband and has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Rosie, herself, is overwhelmed with work and attempting to piece her family back together again after her husband, Nick's, betrayal. Nick feels distanced from his children's life and wonder if his previous mistakes will ever be forgiven. Their daughter, Daisy, has severe OCD and their son, Max, blames himself for his fissured domestic ...more
Louise Wilson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie Rankin's best friend had an affair with her husband. Relationships are torn apart and friendships are shattered. Rosie's daughter Daisy has OCD and when a letter arrives it opens up old wounds. Rosie's son Max blames himself for everything that's happened. Her ex-husband has his own version of events. There are four sides to every story. Who do you believe?

The story is told by four members of the same family. The story also covers some sensitive topics. Some included are cancer, OCD,
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Extract-The-Betrayals-Fiona-Neill

So this one was a bust for me: I really didn't enjoy it at all.
I felt like I was waiting for some big reveal to happen and It never actually did.
It was all so anti-climatic in nature and that ending for me was just so sudden and abrupt.
It's a shame really as the writing style here I did enjoy: this was great and was ever so easy to follow along with: but the story itself I found that to be a let down it never quite managed to capture my undivided attention.
Really my main issue here was I was
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

I enjoyed Fiona's last book The Good Girl, I have to admit when I saw The Betrayals I requested it before reading the synopsis. I glad to say Fiona did not betray the trust I had in her writing, I loved it.

First of all I liked the front cover of this book. If I saw this in a bookshop it would compel me to pick up the book and read.
Rosie and Lisa have been best friends since school. Years later Rosie
Bookread2day
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about relationships. The Betrayals captured my attention from the first page right up to the very last word. A husband and wife relationship torn apart. The marriage had been over for years. Rosie's husband Nick hadn't mentioned Lisa not once and she couldn't bring herself to discuss her husband's betrayal with him. What had wrecked Rosie so much is that she had known Lisa for thirty years before Nick and even before her children were born. How could Lisa do this to her best ...more
Liz Barnsley
**3.5 stars**

An engaging and thought provoking modern family drama from Fiona Neill here, with multiple viewpoints about how a family broke down and rearranged itself – a little like no two persons ever read the same book, no two memories are entirely the same.

It was a clever way of digging into very emotional subjects, that of divorce and its ripple effects – showing how 4 members of the same family view that time and how it impacted on them both then and now. Fiona Neill writes beautifully and
Karen Whittard
Thank you to Netgalley, publishers and Fiona Neill for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On goodreads.com/karenwhittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

I hate it when I don't know what to make of a book. The problem that I have is that I absolutely love Fiona's writing style. I find it absorbing. It seems to always suck me in from the
Janel
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 63%

I really tried with this book and continued reading even when I felt my interested waning. However, I decided to DNF at 63% because I felt a total disconnection to this plot.

This story is narrated by mum, dad, son and daughter, so we get each of their truths. However, I felt there were too many strong themes taking place to explore any of them in detail (adultery, divorce, mental health, alcoholism, friendships, betrayal, cancer), and this keep me at a distance from the events taking
Luzia Bielefeld *BookWhore BR*
3 - OK decent reads.
=======================
Nick ==> ex-husband, cheater, selfish, vain, asshole.
He did not think about the others or the consequences of his actions when he decided to leave his wife and two children to move in with his mistress, his wife's former best friend. Douchebag until the end. I hate him! Once a cheater, always a cheater!

Lisa==> Bitch, envious, selfish, narcissistic, homewrecker.
Married with two children, she does not think twice about dropping everything and
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the story of two families, and the impact on each member when the husband of one couple has an affair with the wife of the other couple. As the two move in together, there is something they did not expect. Faced with a diagnosis of cancer and the decision to try alternative medicine adds to the dysfunction of this couple. It sheds light on a modern contemporary family as it experiences breakdown and betrayal, with the consequent devastating ripple effects on everyone concerned through ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
Did Not Finish - Reading it started to feel like a slog. I was losing interest in the characters, and while there were lots of underlying themes - cancer, ocd, divorce, adultery - I felt like nothing was happening.

I'm disappointed as I started off loving the writing and the 4 points of view. But I lost my excitement, and came to the conclusion that this just wasn't a book for me.

Thanks to Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for giving me a copy of this book for review consideration. As always, no matter
Kate Henderson
This book started well but then just completely trailed off.
I wasn't sure what the point of the book was?!? It had far too many themes that it didn't really work for me. Was it about mental health, lies, memory, betrayal, infidelity??!!??! What was it trying to say. Im unsure.
Halfway through this book I would have given it 3 or 4 stars but then it just got slower and slower and went nowhere.
Really disappointed considering this book is relatively hyped.
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, fiction
First and foremost, I have such mixed feelings about this book. I loved the idea behind it (the story of an affair and the way it directly - and indirectly - impacts on four different family members, told through the eyes of each of the four individuals), but wasn't sure whether it really worked in its execution.

The writing in Neill's book was absolutely flawless and done in such a clever way, allowing you to really get to know each of the characters and their idiosyncrasies. It was fascinating
DebsD
ARC from Netgalley.

This is a complex, layered look at two families who have become inextricably linked not just by long-standing friendships and children growing up together, but by an extra-marital affair. The story is told from the perspectives of several of the family members, and each one is unusually well-written. I was particularly drawn to the examination of the young woman who suffers from OCD; I felt that the author dealt with this sensitively and with an impressive amount of insight.

Andrew
I found this novel intriguing in parts, but it didn't thrill me. After the first third, I nearly gave up.

It has family angst.
It has an interesting exploration of traditional and alternative medicine.
It explores OCD.

I think that the characters are revealed in a clever way.
I didn't give up and I'm glad, because it has some twists towards the end.

I give thanks to Netgalley and Penguin UK (Michael Joseph) for a copy in exchange for this review.
Renita D'Silva
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A searing and sensitive portrayal of a family in crisis. Loved Daisy and Max, but I especially loved Rosie.
Claire Allan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know much about this book when I sat down to read it - but I was intrigued by the cover and the title. Within the first few pages I was deeply engaged in the characters, the story and most of all in Fiona Neill's wonderful writing.
The premise is wonderful - and very well executed. Four different members of one family - which disintegrated seven years before - are forced to look back on the events of the summer when the break up happened. Each of them has their own take on the events
Erica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Rosie Rankin's best friend has an affair with her husband, the consequences reverberate down through the lives of two families.

Relationships are torn apart. Friendships shattered. And childish innocence destroyed.

Her daughter Daisy's fragile hold on reality begins to unravel when a letter arrives that opens up all the old wounds. Rosie's teenage son Max blames himself for everything which happened that long hot summer. And her brittle ex-husband Nick has his own version of events.

As
Michelle
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only manage to read 50% before I decided to abandon it!

This book is sooooooo slow! Good gosh, there was so many times I nearly put it down, but told myself to persevere - I'm wishing I hadn't now! While it is an awesome idea - how can an affair damage the children and their parents - but good gosh it was soooo slow! I don't know if it was the characters ( Good Gosh Max you can see your sister is suffering again, tell someone!! Plus, don't get me started on Nick - you cheated with your wife's
Vikki Betty
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved the style of writing and was such a good story. Didn't expect the ending at all ...more
Sherri Thacker
I was drawn to the cover of this book and thought for sure i would love it. I had a really tough time following this story. I was not connecting to any of the characters. Just wasn’t for me I guess. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this complimentary book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Renita D'Silva
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A searing and wonderful look into a family in crisis. Loved it.
Sandie Bishop
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The first thought that strikes me as I consider my thoughts about this book is the understanding the author has of psychological disorders. She has clearly spent a lot of time reading up on OCD and the effects the condition has on sufferers and those close to them. This is not a light read but in saying that I did not feel overwhelmed by its content. Each character gets to have their say in turn and I felt it was very well written. My feelings towards each character evolved as each person ...more
Sara Oxton
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Betrayals by Fiona Neill a four-sided four-star read. This is the first book by this author, and I am sure it won’t be the last, she has written a compelling and thrilling read. Each of the four main characters in this story have their own story to tell and this author has done a great story at making each voice heard. This story has it all love, betrayal intrigue, and wonder. There is so much going on that you could get lost and get a little overwhelmed as there is so much drama but the ...more

• Anything You Do Say
  • Good Me, Bad Me
  • Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1)
  • Last Seen Alive
  • The Holiday
  • Faking Friends
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • The Marriage Pact
  • The Child (Kate Waters, #2)
  • Your Closest Friend
Fiona Neill is a novelist and journalist. She was born in 1966. Her first novel The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy, based on her column in The Times Magazine every Saturday, was published in 2007. It was widely acclaimed and went on to become a Sunday Times bestseller that sold in twenty-five countries.

Brought up in Norfolk, she now lives in London with her husband and three children.

Fiona is
“I close the loo seat and sit down. I’m not proud of what I do next. But who hasn’t done the wrong thing for the right reasons at least once in their life? I honestly thought this would be the end of something, not the beginning. I carefully peel off the Sellotape and the padded manila envelope flaps open. I just knew Lisa wouldn’t have licked it. She’s as careless with things as she is with people. I breathe in and out, as deep as I can, one hand holding the envelope, the other resting on my diaphragm as it rises to make sure that my abdominal muscles are contracting properly on the inbreath. I know more about breathing than any yoga teacher.” 1 likes
“It’s the Dunning-Kruger effect: the less you know the more likely you are to perceive yourself as an expert.” 0 likes