Start by marking “Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)

Edinburgh Twilight

(Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)

As a new century approaches, Edinburgh is a city divided. The wealthy residents of New Town live in comfort, while Old Town’s cobblestone streets are clotted with criminals, prostitution, and poverty.

Published September 5th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Edinburgh Twilight, please sign up.
C.E. Hi -
Hi -
Thanks so much for your interest. Yes, Book II is on the way . . . the title is Edinburgh Dusk. The pub date is sometime next year. Stay tuned, thanks! If you like contemporary thrillers, you might read the C.E. Lawrence Silent series (same writer, slightly different pen name.) The Silent series features NYPD criminal profiler Lee Campbell, and are available on Amazon.(less)

Start your review of Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
Luca
Edinburgh Twilight by Carole Lawrence was a bit like a walk down memory lane. I am fortunate enough to have been to Edinburgh, the enthralling capital city of Scotland. Thus I’ve been to several places that play an integral part in this novel. I’ve seen Arthur’s Seat, Holyrood Palace, High Street, St Giles' Cathedral and basically all the tourist attractions in the Old Town. Talks of these places reminded me of my time in Edinburgh, which, at that time, was bustling and noisy. It was during The ...more
Debbie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical, mystery
The characters were well-developed and interesting, but I didn't finish the book because there was a fair amount of bad language and graphic sexual scenes. The killer was sexually aroused by killing, so we got a graphic masturbation scene and I quit at the scene of him picking up a male partner at a bar. At halfway through, Ian is doggedly asking questions but hasn't gotten very far in solving the mystery. As we have scenes from the killers POV, I think I know who it is, however it's realistic t ...more
Veronica
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to this on audiobook and I'm pretty sure this is a case where I would've enjoyed the story more if I'd read it myself. The narrator's voice sounded a bit dry to me and though he did a pretty good job differentiating the voices for all the male characters, his attempts to do the female voices left a lot to be desired.

As for the actual story, there's a serial killer in 1880's Edinburgh and D.I. Ian Hamilton, a man haunted by his own tragic past, tasks himself with bringing the killer t
Olya
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
American snooze more than Edinburgh twilight. Madam, throwing in an "upon" every once in a while does not make your writing more Scottish - it's still as American as you are. Adding in a ton of Shakespearean and Baconian and other such literary quotations does not make your characters seem more British (or smarter) - it does make you seem particularly insecure though.
There was no hook in this story - nothing that would make me want to find out who (which was revealed pretty much from chapter tw
Alaina
OH MY GOD. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO VERSION PEOPLE. CREEPY KILLER VOICE.
You're welcome.

Thank you, thank you to my amazing Buddy Reader for life (basically) Jennifer because you have brought this book into my life. I can't wait for all of the other book we have planned to read for this month.. and many more throughout the year!

Now onto this book. Edinburgh Twilight was fascinating to listen to. God, I loved the audio book so much I had no idea that I stayed late at work. I was so focused on the book I
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I received a copy of Edinburgh Twilight from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Edinburgh Twilight is the first book in Carol Lawrence’s Ian Hamilton mystery series set in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the 1880s. Ian is a Detective Inspector with a sad history: his parents were killed and Ian was injured in a fire when he was a child and he still has physical and emotional scars from the tragedy. Ian’s father was a policeman but the suspicious fire was what really pushed Ian to become a police
Annie
Edinburgh Twilight is set in the year 1881 and is book #1 in the Ian Hamilton mystery series. Detective Inspector Ian Carmichael Hamilton, now aged 27, joined the Edinburgh police at the age of 17 and quickly worked his way up the ranks.

A man’s body (Stephen Wycherly) has been found at the bottom of Arthur’s Seat in Holyrood park. Initially, it was thought that the death was due to suicide. However, after some facts emerge about Wycherly, Hamilton believes that the man had been murdered. He goe
Lane
"My God, Ian. Don’t you ever get tired of quoting Shakespeare!"

Never has a quote from the book itself so perfectly expressed my feelings towards it. I assume Ian Hamilton believes his constant quoting of the classics makes him clever....he was wrong. Here's the biggest problem with this book - I. did. not. care. at. all. I literally could not have cared any less who the killer was. I will say that I enjoyed the scenes in the killer's head, and his thoughts about his prey. These scenes were the o
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Goodness this was boring. Every single item everywhere got described and the constant references to poets - jeez
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)

At twenty seven, Ian Hamilton is the youngest Detective Inspector in the Edinburgh City Police Department.  Once determined to be a great writer, Hamilton ended up following in his father's footsteps after his parents died in a fire which he believes was set deliberately and left him with scars.
Now Hamilton pursues criminals with a fierce determination and analyzes crime scenes with a keen eye.

When a young man is found at the bottom of a cliff, it is quickly ruled a suicide.  Hamilton i
Ruthie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, kindle
Fun easy read with a great sense of place and time in history! Wish it had a map!
Cindy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, 2017-netgalley, dnf
I really wanted to like this book but after taking 6 days to make it through chapter 26, I quit.

The cover is what originally caught my eye and I expected a dark mystery. It started out okay but I was losing interest the further that I got into the book. It was very slow and truthfully I became bored.

Since this was first in the series, I was looking forward to having a new series of books to read in the future. But I'm sorry, that won't be happening.

** I received a copy from the publisher and Ne
Amina
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded to 4!

I really enjoyed this novel, not only because it took place in one of the greatest cities: "Edinburgh" but for the very well developed characters, intrigue and the greatly detailed events.
The main character is "Ian Carmichael Hamilton", 27 and already a Detective Inspector. He's gentel, clever and very strict, he also has a past that still haunts him.

A young man is found dead with a playing card on him, first conclusion, the victim slipped and fell, but Ian isn't that sure, he g
Elaine
I was excited to win a Kindle copy of Edinburgh Twilight from a Goodreads Giveaway, mostly because I was in Edinburgh last December! I climbed Arthur's Seat with a friend and stood on its peak!

I visited most of the landmarks and historical sites mentioned in the story and it was great to see the locations in my head as I read.

DI Ian Hamilton is a tortured wannabe poet, still suffering the loss of his parents in a deadly fire when he was a teenager.

He quotes Shakespeare, bears the scars of
Amanda
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historic
I downloaded this book for free to rate and review it, and I chose it just by its cover. The picture and the title grabbed my attention and I hoped the story would hold my interest just as much. Happily, it did! Though there were a few slow parts that didn't seem to do much to further the plot, I found it hard to put this book down. I'm a big fan of mysteries, though the ones I normally read are set in present day, so it was a really interesting change for me to read one set over 130 years ago, ...more
Elliot A
I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
A serial killer, a detective with his own demons and lots of possible suspects and all set in one of the most captivating cities I ever had the pleasure of visiting. They combine to make for a great detective story that keeps the reader bound in its world long after the story is over.
The characters were fully and richly developed. From the protagonist to the over enthusiastic want-to-be assistant, they all had character traits that
Diane Challenor
“Edinburgh Twilight” is set in Scotland’s city of Edinburgh in 1881, when the police force was in its infancy and forensic science was practically nonexistent. The book’s description of Edinburgh gives me the impression that, if you went looking, you’d be able to find all the landmarks mentioned in the story, if they still exist. In the founding days of the Police Force, collecting evidence and clues was haphazard and depended on the skill of the Detective, the co-operation of his colleagues, re ...more
Kat O'B
I picked up this free, kindle book because I was headed for a visit to Scotland, so thought I'd try something set there. The story has a decent plot, but the writing is just ok and the setting and Scottish characterization seem very forced, maybe a bit cheesy. For example:

"Ian...was long and lean, solid as a caber, the wooden pole tossed by beefy Scots at the Highland games he had attended as a boy."

"...and drew hos cloak around his shoulders. Made of good Scottish wool, it had been sheared from
Amanda
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a moment to get use to the multiple point of views but once I did, it was a great way to progress the mystery of the novel. You really get to know the characters beyond the surface, especially the murderer himself. The mystery was interesting, the characters complex. Set in Scotland with a detective who quotes Shakespeare ... I was a happy reader 😍I'm already looking forward to reading the next book in the series !
Hannah
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for allowing me to read this book early

Background summary
This book is set in Edinburgh in 1881 where there is a murderer on the loose whose killing style is to strangle people along with a calling card of leaving a playing card with dancing skeletons on.... It's up to Detective Ian Hamilton and the rest of the Edinburgh Constabulary to catch them.

Thoroughly enjoyable read and very much looking forward to reading part 2 of this series, I wonder how it wil
Hannah
Edit: I forgot to say that I listened to this book and HATED the narrator. His Scottish accent is great and creepy but his female characters were atrocious. Honestly. They all sounded the same and like what a 8 year old boy sounds like when he is imitating his sisters, just high pitched and squeaky.

I was really waffling between a 2 and a 3 but decided that since I would read the next in the series there must be more that I liked about it then didn't like. The pacing was great and using multiple
Linda O’Connor
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wish I liked this more because I love Edinburgh/the setting of the story. I may have liked it more if I read t even though I appreciated the voices on audible. It just felt long and unsurprising. Bummed I feel this way about it when most others have left great reviews!
Amy Yingling
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I originally rated this with 3 stars, however, the more I thought about the story and the twisty plot I realized it definitely deserved another star!

A great historical mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Ashley
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I have always liked detective books and historical so this hits both! is there a 2nd one coming out any time soon?!
Thebooktrail

Edinburgh Twilight

There’s something deliciously grim about this novel – set in the days where Edinburgh was even more gothic than it is today. There’s murder, mystery and something almost Sherlockian about it all. Cloak and dagger stuff with more monsters hiding in the shadows than you know what to do with.

It’s the early days of police work and so the basics are only just falling into place – only years before the Jack the Ripper murders would shock the world, the dark, dank streets of Edinburgh
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries Book 1) by Carole Lawrence
Carole Lawrence
five stars all the way

what is it about:
Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton is no stranger to Edinburgh’s darkest crimes. Scarred by the mysterious fire that killed his parents, he faces his toughest case yet when a young man is found strangled in Holyrood Park.
With
Lady Delacour
Gaslight Detective Story set in 1881.
Great era for a Murder Mystery.
Narrator Napoleon Ryan does an ok job.
Not Clean, discrete adult and foul language.
David Lewis
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good story which never gets dull
Sara Belal
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been a very long time since I have read a book that I could not put down.
A book about a detective who is looking for a serial killer in one of my favourite cities, Edinburgh. I used to live in Scotland, so the book made me very nostalgic, as it described everything loveable, and yes, problematic about the city. The characters are very endearing (like all Scots), well developed, and the relationships are complex. Yet the book is easy to read. I loved every page of it.
Lisa Eddy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
Set in the late 1800s, this detective series follows Detective Inspector Ian Hamilton as he searches for a serial killer who is strangling people all around the city of Edinburgh. The Killer's only distinguishing trait besides favoring strangulation is a playing card left at each scene. Hamilton and his supporting cast try to draw similarities between what seem like random victims in an effort to bring the strangler to justice.

I really enjoyed this book, the writing style flowed easily, and the

• The Heiress of Linn Hagh (Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1)
  • The Sculthorpe Murder (Detective Lavender Mysteries #3)
  • Murder in Park Lane (Detective Lavender Mysteries #5)
  • The Sans Pareil Mystery (Detective Lavender Mysteries #2)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • Plague Pits & River Bones (Detective Lavender Mysteries #4)
  • The Redemption Murders (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Jones #6)
  • Interviewing The Dead (Carlyle & West Victorian Mysteries #1)
  • The Willow Marsh Murder (The Detective Lavender Mysteries #6)
  • Murder at the Abbey: A Redmond and Haze Mystery Book 2 (Redmond and Haze Mysteries)
  • Diamonds & Dust (The Victorian Detectives Book 1)
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
  • A Noble Pair of Brothers (The Underwood Mysteries, #1)
  • Death at the Frost Fair: A Detective Lavender Short Story
  • A Woman Scorned (The Inspector Lazarus Mysteries #3)
  • Murder at Mondial Castle (The Discreet Investigations of Lord and Lady Calaway #1)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A 1920s Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • The Body in the Dales (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #1)

Ian Hamilton Mysteries (3 books)
  • Edinburgh Dusk (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #2)
  • Edinburgh Midnight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #3)