Start by marking “If I Die Tonight” as Want to Read:
If I Die Tonight

If I Die Tonight

Late one night in the quiet Hudson Valley town of Havenkill, a distraught woman stumbles into the police station—and lives are changed forever.

Aimee En, once a darling of the ’80s pop music scene, claims that a teenage boy stole her car, then ran over another young man who’d rushed to help.

As Liam Miller’s life hangs in the balance, the events of that fateful night begin t
Published March 6th 2018 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about If I Die Tonight, please sign up.
Brynn I really liked the book but I would say if you're not into now, you won't change your mind. It's a pretty slow burn

Deanna
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

I have wanted to read Alison Gaylin’s novels for quite some time but just hadn’t had the opportunity. After reading the description for “If I Die Tonight”, I was really intrigued, and couldn’t wait to get started.

The book opens with a Facebook post on Jacqueline (Jackie) Reed’s account. But the message isn’t written by her…it’s written by her teenage son, Wade.

“By the time you read this, I’ll be dead”

Five days earlier….
Kaceey
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from Alison Gaylin (though I own 3 of her others). What an unexpected surprise. Why haven’t I picked up one of her other books till now!?

Jackie is doing her best to raise two teenage sons on her own. And lately she feels like she knows them less and less. But come on…what teens aren’t distant and mysterious to their parents?

So when tragedy pays a visit to the small town they live in, her world is rocked as all eyes turn to one of her boys. Surely it’s a huge misunderstandi
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars* (rounded down)

Aimee En knows she isn’t a reliable witness. She is a has been, washed up musician who just came from a late night gig but swears she is telling the truth. A boy in a black hoodie hijacked her car and then boom - he hit another teenage boy with it. And Aimee En witnessed the whole thing. The problem? The police think she may have done it herself.

Wade is a teenager that no one likes. In fact, he is pretty much despised by everyone in school. He bullies everyone around hi
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was lost in the deep slopes of the craggy coulee with two of my Traveling Sisters reading I Die Tonight and we settled in amongst the rocky edges with each of our reading pillows that soon had us on our toes guessing and discussing the path of this clever and engaging mystery. I Die Tonight is stand-alone by Alison Gaylin and was our first book that we have read by her and won’t be our last.

I Die Tonight is a tightly plotted multi-layered character-driven mystery that explores secrets, family
Ellen Gail
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
"I can trust you, right, buddy? You won't say anything?"

Do you ever get really excited when you're reading a mystery and you realize it's genuinely good? Like the characters have layers on layers, the plot is twisty but not frustrating, and gosh darn it you're just having a good time reading it?

If I Die Tonight is unpretentiously exciting and Ellen Gail certified good. (the EllenGail certification means absolutely jack, unless you liked this. Then I will take all the credit)

And did I mention t
Kimberly Dawn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I Die Tonight is a smartly-written, complex and thoroughly engaging story by award-winning author Alison Gaylin. The dark secrets and many plot twists kept me riveted!

Themes:

A father-absent household...this book demonstrates the detrimental effects father hunger has on children (teenaged boys in this particular story.)

Wade Reed, the oldest son, is troubled and suffers from difficulties with social adjustment.

Connor Reed, the youngest son, is loving to his mother and loyal to his brother, alt
Alison Gaylin left an impression on me with What Remains of Me, so I was thrilled to get my hands on If I Die Tonight. This one was a bit more of a family drama, which isn't a bad thing. Just different from the type of story I fell in love with in the first novel I read of hers (murder mystery with a Hollywood feel).

Beginning with a Facebook post written by Jackie's son Wade that works as a suicide note, we know things must get pretty tough for Wade immediately wondering why. The story goes b
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Nobody’s perfect… What gets us in trouble is when we try and pretend we are.

I dated a guy once who wanted to know how far drive it was from Miami to Florida… He also thought Rosetta Stone was a civil rights leader. Thank God he was cute.

Mason Marx was short and squat, with mean little pig eyes and the personality of bad cheese.

… Jackie could not stand that mustache. Her eyes were drawn to it whenever Wacksman spoke, so thick and luxuriant she couldn’t help but imagine him groomin
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5 rounded up.

First of all, many thanks to William Morrow and Company for providing me with an advance review copy of this book via Edelweiss. All opinions are my own.

This book has been on my list for AGES, and I had actually just preordered it from Amazon when I found out that I had been lucky enough to get approved for an ARC on Edelweiss. So glad I was! This book lived up to the hype for me, which I am very thankful for in a time where books don't always do that.

If I Die Tonight by A
Kristy
Havenkill is a pretty quiet town--mostly focused on its football team. So when a washed up 80s rockstar named Aimee En stumbles into the police station in the middle of the night, claiming someone carjacked her Jaguar and then ran over a teenage boy who was trying to help, it receives a lot of police and media attention. The young teen's name was Liam--a star on the football team--and he's quickly portrayed as a hero for trying to save Aimee and her vehicle. Suspicion turns fairly soon to anothe ...more
Amy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
THIS WAS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS THAT PULLS YOU IN RIGHT FROM THE START, IT HAS A POWERFUL PROLOGUE AND THEN FLIPS BACK IN TIME FIVE DAYS EARLIER. IT’S TOLD FROM A HANDFUL OF PERSPECTIVES BUT I ENJOYED HEARING FROM JACKIE, MOM TO TWO TEENAGED BOYS AND PEARL, A POLICE OFFICER THE MOST. JACKIE WAS RELATABLE TO ME AND I COULD FEEL HER ANXIETY AND FEAR FOR HER SONS, IT BROKE MY HEART TO PIECES AND THE AUTHOR DID A FANTASTIC JOB AT SHOWING A MOTHER’S WORST FEARS. YOU GET A SPRINKLING OF POLICE PROCEDURAL ...more
Heidi
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I once read this quote in a book, and it has stayed with me: “You’re only ever as happy as your unhappiest child.” (unfortunately I have forgotten where I read it, or I would give due credit to the author). How true! This is the situation Jackie finds herself in, a single mother trying her best to raise her two teenage sons. Her older son Wade has been distant and secretive lately, estranged from his peers, a loner who rarely smiles. What has happened to the happy little boy who used to laugh an ...more
Misty
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
If I Die Tonight is a mystery/suspense read that boasts a riveting plot, interesting characters and a beautifully written narrative—as well as a thoroughly disappointing conclusion that was so “all’s well that ends well” that it warranted a full star demerit.

The story is a tale of two cities—the Reed family and Pearl Maze. The Reeds are one more divorce statistic, with mom raising two brothers who couldn’t possibly be more different: the morose and somber Wade—a high school senior who is seen a
Liz Barnsley
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having loved What Remains of Me I was really looking forward to this and it was one of those books I devoured - although it has a mystery at the heart of it and it'll get tagged as a psychological thriller, this was much more family drama with a small town vibe, digging deep into themes of parental responsibility, sibling relationships, school and community hierarchy and the dark depths of humanity.

A boy dies - run over during a carjacking, a town mourns and focuses in on Wade - a loner of sorts
Liz
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-release
**3.5 Stars** rounded up. This is my first book by Alison Gaylin. I really enjoyed it! Although it was tagged a psychological thriller...In my opinion it was more a family drama/suspense told in different perspectives. It took me awhile to get drawn in completely (at about page 190 I was finally hooked)...the ending brought some "wow's!" And some.."I saw that coming!" But all in all was a entertaining read! :::Disclaimer::: I bought this book not really knowing anything about it..but a good cove ...more
Jamie
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I was a huge fan of Gaylin’s last stand-alone, What Remains of Me, and had been anticipating this one since I first heard about it. The wait was certainly worth it, If I Die Tonight did not disappoint!

High school senior, Wade, a loner is suspected of accidentally killing popular classmate, Liam Miller, in a car wreck. Wade seems to be hiding something about the events of the night in question, but is he a murderer? As his mother Jackie tries to figure out how much of her sons life is a mystery
Karen Macedo
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars...I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you to William Morrow. A fast paced mystery taking place in a small town. The mother is raising her two teenage sons alone and doing her best. A crime has been commited and the people in town are quick to judge.. This will keep you guessing until the end. A good read.
Megan Abbott
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best yet from one of the most talented crime writers out there. It's both a deeply satisfying suspense novel, beautifully orchestrated and exciting to the very end....and a haunting, emotionally resonant story about family, familial love and loss. The upstate community is rendered so compellingly, the characters are so rich, and the resolution so stunning (and earned).

I was knocked out.
Cesar
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

"By the time you read this, I'll be dead."

When we hear in the news that something bad has happened in a small town where nothing bad happens, people jump to conclusions. They blame the mother. They blame the father. They blame that weird high schooler. They blame anyone who remotely looks guilty. But are they right to blame someone who didn't even have anything to do with said crime?

If I Die Tonight is a small town mystery where Amy, a former singer, was just carjacked and a high schooler
Gare Billings
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let's be honest - I LOVE thrillers, mysteries and suspense. Within those genres, there is a sub-genre that I feel does not get enough love and that is domestic suspense. Domestic suspense thrillers are hard to come by and some really fall flat for me even though I do love them. This is not one of those cases. IF I DIE TONIGHT by Alison Gaylin is not only an intense binge-worthy read, but it's plot is taut, morose, and engaging.

What I especially loved about this story (okay, I loved basically al
Laura Rash
This wasn’t a bad storyline but it moved kind of slow & was a little bit too long for my taste.
JULIE ☼
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Wow, this was quite the rollercoaster ride! I actually think this would be a good way to describe this read as its suspenseful accent peaked for me, drops halfway through and peaked again to its conclusion. IF I DIE TONIGHT sent me through such an array of emotions throughout this dark and very thought-provoking read. It was a slow burn that took me about ten chapters before my attention was on this book and this book alone. At which point it picked up and resulted in a satisfying ending with a ...more
Michelle Ryles
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
I didn't plan to read If I Die Tonight in one sitting, but once I started it, I simply couldn't put it down. The prologue hooked me immediately with a Facebook post from 17 year old Wade that tells the reader 'By the time you read this, I'll be dead.' This suicide post was so sad and heartfelt that I just had to devour every single page to find out how Wade was left feeling this way.

Wade's post mentioned 'memory gifts' and I thought that was such a beautiful way to refer to a special memory. One
Melinda
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Tragedy hits the small town of Havenkill on a late rainy night. Aimee En, a washed up 80's rockstar is driving home from a late night gig when she is carjacked by a teenage boy. Another teenager, Liam Miller, comes from out of nowhere to help Aimee and ends up being hit and killed. But is this what really happened? Is there more to this story?
I am totally loving these kind of books. Secrets, mysteries, plot twists, psychological suspense. I love trying to figure out what is going on and who di
NZLisaM
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Page Turner!

I couldn’t stop reading – I had to find out the truth. I’m very happy to have discovered this book, and this author. I loved all the main characters, and thought Alison Gaylin did an amazing job of writing adult and teen characters who were all relatable and well-developed. The mystery was well-paced, kept the tension high, and held my interest. I also liked that there were other surprising reveals along the way, some that related to the main crime, and others that didn’t. All the
Marc Bougharios
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

If I Die Tonight was so close to getting 5 starts from me, but it was missing something to reach that five star mark.

I think so far, it's one of my favourite books I've read this year. I didn't think I would like it that much because a few novels I read with detectives in them change up the book a little and make it a little boring, but not this one. It really shone and every narrator was so entertaining to read.

I love it when books have multirple narrators because we get to see each
Renita D'Silva
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely brilliant. I couldn't put this masterfully crafted book down
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much better then i expected! I enjoyed it from beginning to end, & then went directly to another book by this author! Each character was well written & "real.." You could feel each of their emotions- frustration, anger, fear, devotion... I didn't know "what i didn't know" until i was supposed to, & no cheap tricks, a genuine well written story that blew my mind! If you're looking into this book for any reason- 2 thumbs up- read it!! (& the audio was great!!)
Jen Ryland
While I can appreciate what this book was attempting to do, and there were things I did like about it, If I Die Tonight ultimately wasn't my kind of book.

I did like and appreciate the fact that this was a book that looked at life and parenting in the internet age and I think the book did a realistic job of portraying an intergenerational cast of characters. There is a single mother with two sons, one in high school and one in middle school. She watches her sons glued to their phones and feels li
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I Die Tonight is Alison Gaylin's newest release. This was a first read of this author for me, but it won't be the last.

Small town USA. An aging pop star who goes by the name Amie Em stumbles in the local police station, saying she was carjacked by a teenaged boy. Another boy named Liam tried to stop the theft and was critically injured. But her story keeps changing and there are gaping holes in her recounting of the crime. The finger is inevitably pointed at Wade - a high school outcast.

Gayli

• Spandex and the City
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Panic Room
  • Be Ready for the Lightning
  • The Row
  • Vendetta (The Nikki Boyd Files, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan
  • Splinter
  • Divided (Setenid Blight, #2)
  • The Color of Lies
  • Captive
  • Forged
  • Shutter
  • Astray (Gated, #2)
  • Remember
  • The Disappearing
  • Our Little Secret
  • Eternal Hope (Hope, #2)
Alison Gaylin is a journalist who has covered the arts and entertainment for more than fifteen years. Her first novel, HIDE YOUR EYES, debuted in March, 2005 with nearly a quarter of a million copies in print and was nominated for the prestigious Edgar Award for a first novel. The sequel, YOU KILL ME, was published in 2006 to rave reviews. Her first hardcover, TRASHED, out in September 2007, launc ...more
“check-cashing place that wasn’t open today. No leaf peepers” 0 likes