Start by marking “Why Young Men: Rage, Race and the Crisis of Identity” as Want to Read:
Why Young Men: Rage, Race and the Crisis of Identity

Why Young Men: Rage, Race and the Crisis of Identity

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Longlisted for the Toronto Book Award

The day after the 2015 Paris terror attacks, twenty-eight-year-old Canadian Jamil Jivani opened the newspaper to find that the men responsible were familiar to him. He didn’t know them, but the communities they grew up in and the challenges they faced mirrored the circumstances of his own life. Jivani travelled to Belgium in February 20
Published April 3rd 2018 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Why Young Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Young Men

Kate
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
There isn't a final answer for the question of the title but there are many likelihoods presented with a mix of personal experience and research. A quick read and a timely one.
Kevin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canlit
Why Young Men: Rage, Race and the Crisis of Identity is an interesting book on exactly what its subtitle describes, but by the end it felt like it was just skimming the surface. It felt like a really well-written undergraduate essay but lacked the deep interrogation of the intersection of rage-race-identity-gender-geography-etc. that a really impacting book would have.

Merge this one, written by Jamil Jivani, with Daemon Fairless' Mad Blood Stirring: The Inner Lives of Violent Men and you might h
Judy  Reads
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this book after hearing Jamil Jivani speak passionately about why young men turn to violence, crime and radicalization. A lawyer, community organizer and activist, Jivani was articulate, thoughtful and reasoned. As a boy growing up in Brampton, Ont., with a largely absent father, he wanted to be a gangster. He eventually turned away from crime, opting instead for education and change.

Yet "I was drawn to all these bad ideas because I thought I was not important. And these groups were in
chantel nouseforaname
I thought this was a highly readable look into how many young men get caught up in lifestyles and situations that they would have otherwise avoided by being neglected or ostracized by their communities and looking for community elsewhere. I also see how not feeling welcome in your community can lead young people maybe, but not necessarily, towards violence, but could definitely lead them towards an individualistic lifestyle where they may not want to engage in what is seen as "normative" "linea ...more
Ben Truong
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why Young Men: Rage, Race and the Crisis of Identity are a collection of thoughts, insights, and opinions of Jamil Jivani when he felt familiar with the Paris attacker in 2015. He did not know them personally, but he knew the communities that they have grown up in and the challenges they faced, because it mirrored the circumstance of his own life and if the loom of fate twisted differently, he too could have been like those attackers.

Jamil Jivani was raised in a mostly immigrant community in Tor
Chris
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stimulating!

This book meandered a fair bit but I enjoyed the personalized style of the writing. Jivani is taking the reader along on his exploration of his theme, young men, the risk to them of criminalization and radicalization, how society can protect them from these things and offer them better lives, and at the same time reduce violence. I enjoyed the journey, bouncing back and forth with his own thoughts. This style pays proper respect to the complexity of these issues. What Jivani once tho
Carole
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jamil Jivani is a young man born and raised in Brampton, Ontario who is now a lawyer living in Toronto and teaching law at Osgoode Hall Law School. During his youth, he flirted with gang culture and Nation of Islam, and almost didn’t graduate from high school. In this book, he discusses how he got from there to here and most importantly, poses the question of the title.

It was a very interesting read. There is, of course, no easy answer to the question of why are some young men attracted to sinis
Caden Mccann
I decided to pick up Why Young Men recently after having seen Jivani interviewed on CBC in light of the recent Toronto van attack. In the book, Jivani offers a memoir of sorts, providing an account of his experiences growing up as an alienated mixed-race kid in the GTA, his schooling at York and later Yale Law School, and some of his work abroad investigating Muslim radicalization after the 2015 Paris attacks. Ultimately, Jivani seeks to highlight male radicalization and violence as something th ...more
Clarissa
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was powerful. It's so hard to imagine living a different life when your used to the one you have. It's an eye opener on what it's like to be Black or Muslim and live in a country of predominantly White people. I being white myself, I have never had any of the issues that this man grew up with and I lived in Toronto until a teenager as well. Its amazing to see how far he's come along and what he's turned his life in to when it could have gone another way.
I also really liked how it dive
Robert Briggs
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why Young Men lived up to Michael "Pinball" Clemons'description on the back of the book. It is a look at the life of a young man under pressure and includes his research into the lives of other young men who are similar and different than him. The parts about Jivani's parents were most interesting. I also liked his discussion of Belgium. He was there at a very interesting time. The book left me wanting to know more discussion about Jivani's philosophy at the end, but it is a good look into his e ...more
Toby Mustill
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why Young Men... This book has insights that I previously failed to recognize. The book explores so many angles and influences on youth that the reader cannot help but be enlightened. It goes into details regarding the most important institutions and individuals for young men. It helps connect school, religion/culture, parenting, community, peers and youth work to put the pieces together on how the help our youth. Although the book has a strong focus on minority youth and radicalization, it draw ...more
Miriam
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, politics
Very readable, many ideas packed in, but easy to get through. Perhaps could have been 2-3 books, a few different interesting perspectives on this large & complex topic (issues & intervention in NA, in Europe, positive masculinity, policy issues), but maybe he'll do some deeper dives in future books? Refreshingly nuanced conclusions (mostly: a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B), and compelling combination of personal experience and research. I feel more hopeful and energize ...more
Trina
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. I found it interesting and I appreciated a few comments he made about feminism (dealing with issues related to young men doesn’t mean there is opposition to women). I’m not sure about his thoughts on Charter Schools, but I’m a unionized, public school teacher so I guess that’s not surprising. I do wish there were more suggestions on how to improve the lives of our young men, but Jivani definitely gets the conversation going, especially in relation to religion and men of colour.
Caitlin Padanyi
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fascinating look at the complicated pieces that go into radicalism and violence. Jivani explores the idea of a poverty of imagination - such a fascinating concept. How can we help young men dream of a bigger and better future?
Frank
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So boring, I didn't finish it.Reasons for radicalization?
1) Lack of father-figures.
2) hip-hop music providing the wrong aspirations.
3) mistrust of, and maltreatment by, the police.

But too much filler. So I stopped reading.
Kbeckermann
Jivani presents a complex issue from many perspectives - lived experience, interactions with young men, work experience and research insights. A challenging and hopeful read.
Joseph
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
While I appreciated Jamil's story and enjoyed reading the book overall, it lacked scope and depth of the issues that are presented on the cover and in the synopsis.
Amy Boughner
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really thoughtful and well done
Cheryl
Meredith Jean
Oct 03, 2018
Angie Docking
Sep 08, 2018
“People are used to hearing a certain kind of narrative – the world is unfair, racist, biased, and the primary concern we should have is that these are systems that oppress us – systemic racism, sexism, and so on. It’s amazing how much this passes as a truth.” Jamil Jivani” 0 likes