Start by marking “A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)

A Gentleman Never Keeps Score

(Seducing the Sedgwicks #2)

Once beloved by London's fashionable elite, Hartley Sedgwick has become a recluse after a spate of salacious gossip exposed his most-private secrets. Rarely venturing from the house whose inheritance is a daily reminder of his downfall, he’s captivated by the exceedingly handsome man who seeks to rob him.

Since retiring from the boxing ring, Sam Fox has made his pub, The Be
Published July 10th 2018 by Avon Impulse

Start your review of A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

All the stars for:

✔ strong writing (Cat Sebastian has a way with words);
✔ vivid sense of time/place (London, 1817);
✔ fantastic secondary characters (I loved Alf and Sadie, not to mention Kate and Nick!) who added depth to the story;
✔ likable MCs (particularly Sam, who was maybe too sweet);
✔ humour (Hartley was adorably snarky);
✔ non-white MC (Sam was well aware of the scrutiny upon him as a free black man);
✔ cute baby + three-legged dog + Hartley with said baby and dog (all the cuten
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This book. It made me teary-eyed and it made me sigh. I was a sniffling, gooey mess. Although A Gentleman Never Keeps Score isn't my favorite Cat Sebastian book, it is deeply touching and tender.

Since I’m on record as low-key stanning Sebastian’s stories (although I'm low-key hating this cover) it is no surprise that her characters always affect me. Hartley Sedgwick may be one of the most affecting yet. Hart's dead godfather was a sexual predator who took advantage of a teenaged Hart's love for
Hollis
"When you said you brought something to cheer me up, I thought maybe some boiled sweets. Not an enormous glass prick."

I've been looking forward to more of Sebastian's Seducing the Sedgwicks since book one came out and I don't want to say I was disappointed by Hartley's story, because I wasn't, but I guess I expected more of the kind of pure gooey delicious fluff we got in IT TAKES TWO TO TUMBLE. What the author offers up in A GENTLEMAN NEVER KEEPS SCORE is more serious, more weighted in some not
Richard Derus
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
I quite like all the interconnectedness of these stories, and was gratified that Ben showed up despite being happily hooked up with his Phillip.

Not quite as easy for me was the nature of Hartley's problem barring him from easy intimacy with Sam. Saintly Sam got a smidge saccharine if you want to know the truth. The big problem separating them was, in the end, less resolved than treated with a massive injection of handwavium. I was in the fullness of my go-with-the-flow mood from Ben and Phillip'
Chris
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another lovely historical romance by the queen herself ! This was sweet, warm and made me smile. Sam was the kind hearted soul who took care of people around him. Being a black man who leased a pub made life challenging as the dodgy cops were always looking for trouble. Hartley was the damaged young man, shunned by society for being a degenerate but who was really a victim of abuse. Both men always looking out for others with soft hearts. They recognized this in each other and the dance of frien ...more
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

When his godfather leaves his house to him, Hartley's reputation gets banded about in less than complimentary terms. Feeling shunned, Hartley finds himself losing servants and becoming a bit of a shut-in.
Sam just wants to see his brother and his friend Kate finally get married and when he learns Kate fears a scandalous painting of her becoming public knowledge
Zuzu
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What a great read! I do like this author’s writing and her wit. I’m looking forward to the next book.
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

This second book in Cat Sebastian’s  Seducing the Sedgwicks  series centres around Hartley, younger brother of Ben (hero of book one, It Takes Two to Tumble) whose backstory as explained in that book was both heartbreaking and intriguing.  It’s impossible to discuss further without entering into spoiler territory for book one, so if you haven’t read it yet, but intend to and don’t want to know, then stop reading this review now.

If you have read t
Sofia
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, historical

This left me with a warm feeling at imaging them all at the pub, warmth and family and being ourselves, free.

The series seems to be going up for me, good.

I understand where the book cover is coming from and I applaud that but I really cannot make myself like it.
⚣Michaelle⚣
OMG that cover! Yes, more please...I need this naoooooww.

See my Rant Here for pre-rating.
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I don’t think I’ve ever read Cat Sebastian and shame on me! I really enjoyed her voice in this one – she gives us two characters that will make you smile and warm your heart.

Hartley Sedgwick took London drawing rooms by storm with his good looks and easy charm. But when his godfather dies, and Hartley inherits his house, the godfather’s son, who was overlooked in the inheritance, starts to release salacious gossip about Hartley – that he admires men, not women. There is 100% truth in this gossip
namericanwordcat
It took me a bit to relax into this book and trust the Cat Sebastian would be able to give me a happily ever after in this queer interracial historical romance.

She does. The writing is lovely and detailed. Sam and Hart make a wonderful couple.

Hart is in crisis and has to reexamine so many things as his life is upended after he is exposed for being a kept man. He has to come to terms with the truth that through it felt like a choice to support his family, the power dynamics at play make "choice
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

I loved the relationship build -- it felt tender and sweet. Probably because Sam Fox, despite his feature and previous job as boxer, is very patient with Hartley. I also adored the 'family of choice' that Hartley builds alongside his valet, Alf, and the cook Sadie. And there's a three-legged dog here... I should really point it out ^^.

The 'case' with the painting doesn't really go anywhere, it's pretty much buried under Hartley and Sam's relationship, and only appears once i
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, gay Black mc

ARC provided by the publisher. Review also on my blog.

2.5 ☆

It’s not that I was promised a slowburn with A Gentleman Never Keeps Score, but it is marketed as a regency era romance and there just are some things one expects from this genre. And the slowburn quality of the romance is the first on that list, the most important even.

So is A Gentleman Never Keeps Score a good book? Sure, it actually kind of is. And is the relationship portrayed in a good, healthy way? Yeah. B
Sam (AMNReader)
A super pleasant, sweet read, but at times the characters felt slightly flat. Maybe I'll have more to say later...
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This is only my second book by Cat Sebastian, the first being a high-rater and this one being an okay read. I do love this era that she writes in and her description and detail certainly transport you to the setting and context very well.

This unlikely coupling of Hartley and Sam crosses social class and race which is the soaring strength of the book. The side characters, most of whom were Sam’s family, friends and compatriots brought depth to the social differences and I enjoyed that. I felt lik
Eugenia
3.5 Stars
I loved the fact that this book had an MCs of different races and from different social classes. This one was quite a bit angstier than other Cat Sebastian books, but I really enjoyed my second listen of the fantastic narration by Joel Leslie!

We saw much more of the racism in Regency England, as well as the very structured social hierarchy that ruled the times.

Sam, a black pub owner, and Hartley a disgraced gentleman find that they have a common goal: to destroy lewd paintings commissi
Ekollon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
edit: 11/18/2019 Thank you Santa's little hippopotamus for gifting me this book! I really appreciate it! I liked reading this book so much and I seem to have forgotten to review it, so soon it will be REREAD time!

The cover . . . this book will be mine!
Hart_D
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, fantastic book. Just warm and lovely the whole way through, very cozy, and full of sweet domesticity. I wanted it to be about three times as long, not because it's incomplete in any way, but because I wanted to spend more time with these characters.

To be honest, I put off reading this book because of the serious subject matter, but of course Cat Sebastian handles Hartley's past with sensitivity and care. It's not at all an emotionally overwrought book, but I got choked up more than once, at
haletostilinski
3.5 stars rounded up

For some reason I'm not quite finding the magic of this series that I've found with this author's other books.

I liked this, I enjoyed it, but there was something missing. Maybe that Sam and Hartley didn't have a ton of passion, or at least it didn't come across on the page. The chemistry just wasn't really there for me.

And I get after what Hartley went through, them taking time with anything sexual. I don't mind that - but (view spoiler)
Ashley
Cat Sebastian is now six for six. Not a stinker among her published books so far (though to be fair, I haven't *loved* all of them (Unmasked by the Marquess was fun, but didn't hit me in my swooners).

A Gentleman Never Keeps Score, though saddled with a truly execrable cover*, features more of what I love about her books: two fully realized leads who have good chemistry, and who are kept apart not by asinine plot machinations and outside forces, but by character flaws and life circumstances and
Didi
Considering the time period, “A Gentleman Never Keeps Score” is an interesting piece as opposites attract story. Not only were Sam and Hartley were of different class, Sam was also black, a non European ethnic minority. This was liable to cause trouble not only if exposed to others, but between the men involved as stuff involving feelings clashed with gap and differences was.

Pub owner Sam Fox was a kind and sweet man. He wore his heart on his sleeves; practically went out of his way to help nee
Robyn
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This is how you write a romance with leads you wouldn't ordinarily think would find their HEA, and a stunning example of how a lead can find healing from past trauma with help from their partner. I loved Hartley and Sam!
Santy
Like book#1 this was even better the second time round!! My rating has been bumped up as well and I just fell in love with both Hartley(shocker I know) and my darling Sam all over again.

I will definitely re-read this again!

Now let's see if Cat Sebastian can convince me that Martin Easterbrook is someone worth caring about in the next book.

****************************************
Cat Sebastian always delivers and this was no different!

Initially, I wondered how the pairing of Hartley with Sam(a P
Andrea
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite book by this author. It is, as always, wonderfully written, with well fleshed-out characters who feel real and believable, and the love between the characters is palpable and sweet.

I honestly don't know why I didn't love this more. There was little drama, the story focuses on character-growth, and there is no one who upset me or was in any way annoying me. I loved how sweet Hartley finally got to step out of the shadow he had been living under and realized there was more to life
Helen Kord
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first read It Takes Two to Tumble, the first book in the Seducing the Sedgwicks series, I was immediately intrigued by the character of Hartley Sedgwick. He was prickly, sarcastic, mysterious and seemed to be hiding a large amount of hurt. He was exactly my type when it comes to fictional characters, so I was excitedly waiting for his book. You would think that after all this time, I’d finally learn that usually when I’m intrigued by a self-loathing, sarcastic character, it’s because I se ...more
Melissa
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sam Fox is the sweetest man ever invented, I swear. He’s such a cinnamon roll. I love this book. The way he and Hartley actually talk through their issues and misunderstandings is just A+. Also there is a scene late in the book that just filled my heart to bursting.

Small trigger warning, Hartley was abused/coerced as a young man, alluded to in the previous book, It Takes Two to Tumble, and clarified here, but Sebastian does not go into specifics. Just FYI if you need to know ahead of time.
Alisa
I liked this a lot. Full review to come.
3.5 stars. I went into this book with some trepidation, because was not too keen on the idea of a story where one character has to overcome trauma that has affected him to the point where he can't even bear to be touched. Just a bit too much of a downer for me in my escapist fiction. But Cat Sebastian is such a brilliant writer that she made it work for me. (Feeling similar wariness about the plot of the next book, but we'll see if she can make that work fur me too.) Sam was a bit too perfect at ...more
Alison
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Very enjoyable. The romance is lovely and the characters are engaging. Bonus points to the author for having a lovely black MC and on the cover, as well. I didn't connect with this one as much, though, and it's not one of my favourites by this author. Sebastian sets a high bar, so it's still worthwhile and enjoyable, but it didn't wow me like her other books have. I enjoy Cat Sebastian's books so much and I look forward to the next one.

• Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Unfit to Print
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Think of England
  • Wanted, A Gentleman
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • Proper English
  • The Henchmen of Zenda
  • Boyfriend Material
Cat writes steamy, upbeat historical romances. They usually take place in the Regency, generally have at least one LGBTQ+ main character, and always have happy endings.

Before writing, Cat was a lawyer and a teacher. She enjoys crossword puzzles, geeking out over birds, gardening badly, and–of course–reading. In high school, her parents went away for a week, and instead of throwing raucous parties,

Seducing the Sedgwicks (3 books)
  • It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)