Start by marking “When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)” as Want to Read:
When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)

When a Duke Loves a Woman

(Sins for All Seasons #2)

Gillie Trewlove knows what a stranger's kindness can mean, having been abandoned on a doorstep as a baby and raised by the woman who found her there. So, when suddenly faced with a soul in need at her door—or the alleyway by her tavern—Gillie doesn't hesitate. But he's no infant. He's a grievously injured, distractingly handsome gentleman who doesn't belong in Whitechapel, ...more
Published August 21st 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about When a Duke Loves a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Duke Loves a Woman

Julie
When a Duke loves a Woman by Lorraine Heath is a 2018 Avon publication.

A collision of two people worlds apart from each other leads to true love- but will there be a happily ever after?

When the Duke of Thornley is jilted at the altar, his pride is hurt more than his heart. But, he’s determined to find his fiancé, which leads him to a questionable area no duke would ordinarily wander into. He is attacked by thugs and left to die, and probably would have, if not for Gillie Trewlove.

Gillie was r
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

Lorraine Heath has been an auto-read for me for years now. I adore the poetry in her words, her wonderful, swoon-worthy heroes and her beautiful, strong heroines. She has never, NEVER let me down. I love how she pulls my heart strings with every single one of her books. I've been a fan-girling over her books forever and it's so satisfying to see that new readers discover her artistry.

In WHEN A DUKE LOVES A WOMAN we meet Thorne when he is being assaulted and robbed by th
Sabrina
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
PRE-ORDER
Amazon US * Amazon UK

So I'm not really a fan of Historical Romances and I've only read a handful of them in the past. But when I got this book from the publisher and read the blurb I was instantly curious. The heroine sounded like a strong one and I always love reading about women who can take control of their own lives instead of waiting around for a man to do it, so I decided to jump into this one. And it is the second book from the Sins for All Seasons series but I didn't have a pro
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: When a Duke Loves a Woman
Series: Sins for All Seasons #2
Author: Lorraine Heath
Release date: August 21, 2018
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

He’d kissed women before, lots of women, all sorts of women, but it had never felt as though any of them had reached deep within him and caressed his soul.

I was so excited to start the second installment in the Sins for all Seasons series after reading and loving the first book, Beyond Scandal and Desire. This is the story of Gilli
Esther
ARC provided by Edelweiss and Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

RTC closer to publication.
Barbara Rogers
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, iblog
Series: Sins for All Seasons #2
Publication Date: 8/21/18

3.75 Stars

The Sins for All Seasons series tells the stories of six ‘siblings’ raised by Ettie Trewlove in the rookeries of London. These were all abandoned children left on her doorstep, poor illegitimate babies, and she took them all in and loved them. Though the children are not related by blood, they are raised as siblings and they all share a love of their Mum, Ettie Trewlove. I have not read the first book in the series, but I don’t fe
Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA)

When a Duke Loves a Women is my first 5-star read this year! I love it even more than Beyond Scandal and Desire!

In When a Duke Loves a Woman, we have an unusual heroine – Gillie. She is very independent and runs her own tavern in Whitechapel! She also had an unusual upbringing since she was raised by Ettie Trewlove along with her brothers. Gillie’s upbringing was unique and it does affect her attitude towards everyone. When she was younger she had to pretend to be a boy, dress like one and even
Caz
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this an A for narration and a B- for content at AudioGals

The first two books in the author’s  Sins for All Seasons  series – Beyond Scandal and Desire and When a Duke Loves a Woman – have been released simultaneously as audiobooks, and as I read and reviewed the first book earlier this year, I opted to review the second in audio. It’s a low-angst, low-conflict Cinderella story which is well written, boasts a couple of engaging central characters and a romance that feels very mature –
Stacee
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was drawn in by the synopsis and maybe a little bit by the color of her dress.

I really liked Gillie and Thorne. She’s sassy and stands up for herself and others and punches people when necessary. He’s a bit of a marshmallow and completely infatuated. I loved the two of them together.

Plot wise, it was good for the most part. There is a bit of push and pull and some things did feel drawn out and repetitive. However, I loved that they took time to talk and get to know a bit about each
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I’m not sure why this series have low ratings, I think Lorraine Heath’s writing style is enjoyable, entertaining and you never know what kind of book you are going to get. Is this author my favorite historical romance author? No, but there’s potential and I’m a fan of this series so far.

This is Gillie and Duke of Thornley’s story.

This series will focus on 6 kids, all of them were brought on to this world by men cheating on their wives. It’s an interesting concept, kind of sad, but regardl
Aly
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Searching in Whitechapel for the woman who left him at the altar, the Duke of Thornley would have probably bleed to death in an alley if a pretty redhead didn't come to his rescue, after being viciously attacked by thieves.

Being a tavern owner is unusual for a woman at that time, but probably not so much when you had the upbringing that Gillian Trewlove had, a by-blow abandoned as a babe on the threshold of a woman who raised four more and a daughter she had later out of wedlock. Gillie and her
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

Short Review

Lorraine Heath has always been one of my favourite authors because of her ability to write beautiful and emotionally moving love stories. After reading and loving Beyond Scandal and Desire, I was really looking forward to this second book in the series but regrettably I found it disappointing.

Born out wedlock and left on Effie Trewlove’s doorstep, Gillie, like her ‘siblings’, was raised in poverty in the Rookeries. I admire the way she worked hard and now owns her own tavern. She is
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Despite the unlikely pairing of a Duke and a illegitimate tavern owner I always enjoy Lorraine Heath's easy reading style and the way she mixes up the social classes. And that's why I read historical romance.. never letting reality get in the way of a swoon worthy Happy Ever After. Sigh.
Teresa
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I loved this even more than book one. Gillie was such a unique and strong heroine. Thorne was a fine enough character, but it was Gillie (and Robin!) who stole the show.

And after the setup happening in the background, I cannot wait for book three!
kris
Nov 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Gillie Trewlove is the tomboy sister of four bastards raised in poverty in London. When she rescues Antony, Duke of Thornley, from a mugging/stabbing, she feels literal TINGLES because he's GORGEOUS. He, too, feels tingles even though he's a DUKE like OMG. They eventually bone. ROLL CREDITS.

1. YIKES.

2. The first chapters cast Gillie as the focused, driven tavern owner who keeps her head down. QUOTE: "[...] her absence never lasted longer than a couple of hours because she'd never had anything
Bambi Unbridled
When a Duke Loves a Woman is the second installment of the Sins for All Seasons series, which focuses on a band of bastard offspring who were left on the doorstep of Ettie Trewlove in the slums of Whitechapel. These members of the commoner class are being paired off one-by-one with a member of the nobility as we navigate the social issues between the class separation.

Our heroine in this installment is Gillie - the sole illegitimate daughter that was raised by Ettie Trewlove. Growing up, Gillie w
AnnMarie
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a Duke Loves a Woman is the second book in the Sins for All Seasons series by Lorraine Heath.

Gillie Trewlove was left on a doorstep as a baby and has 4 'brothers' who were 'delivered' the same way. They are all grown up now and are extremely protective and close to each other. Gillie now owns and runs a tavern, she is content with her life and has no plans to ever marry because she won't give up her independence.

At closing up time she hears a scuffle happening outside her pub and after sca
Tracy Emro
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, maybe even more than the first book!

Gillian "Gillie/Gil" Trewlove and Antony Coventry "Thorne", the Duke of Thornley meet when Gillie saves him from footpads outside her tavern. She tends his wounds and is stunned to realize she is attracted to him. Gillie is a very private person, abandoned and left on Ettie Trewlove's doorstep as an infant, Gillie grew up in the hard world of Whitechapel, but she has risen above that, she owns her own tavern and has no desire to marry or be
Michele
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

A duke jilted at the altar and a female tavern owner–not a common pairing in a historical romance, but Lorraine Heath made it work exceedingly well in When a Duke Loves a Woman.

“People in my position do not marry for love. We marry for greater gains, out of obligation, for duty.”
“I think your lot has the wrong of it. Love is the greatest gain of all.”

It’s been a while since I’ve sat down and enjoyed something new from Lorraine Heath. And When a Duke Lo
Tarra
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved Gillie and Thorne. Such a great couple! Gillie was a unique heroine that was a breath of fresh air to several of the "cookie-cutter" heroines I've been reading lately.

The little gestures that Thorne did for Gillie were so swoon-worthy. I love a grand statement, and Thorne's small gestures did just that -- made grand declarations.

Loved Gillie's brothers. This is the first book I've read in this series, going back to read about Mick and eagerly awaiting the other brothers' books.

Great story
Hasnamezied
4 Wonderful Stars.

This is my 17th book of Lorraine Heath so this say something. I adored this book because the author draw an intriguing world of characters and events in it. Both character Thorne and Gil are sweet and warm and many times one word from one of them to the other will make me sigh or laugh.

I highly recommended this book.
Book Binge
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gillie Trewlove is a tavern owner in Whitechapel with no plans to ever marry. She loves her tavern and she knows if she got married it would be handed over to her husband. Not happening. One night she’s taking out the trash in the back alley and comes across a man being robbed and assaulted. She scares off the attackers but the man is in no shape to be moved. She calls for a physician and takes the man to her flat above the tavern. She tries everything she can to talk the doctor into letting her ...more
Annie ⚜️
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😯😯😯OMG! I LOVED THESE TWO! Loved Gillie and what's his name. They were so sweet and hot. My only qualm with this story was how quickly she gives in to her desires considering how many promises she'd supposedly made to herself about getting involved and the fact that a 29 year old, former street urchin/current bar owner had never so much as been kissed?! Pretty ridiculous even for these unbelievable romances I love so shamelessly. That was my only quibble with this one.
MBR
I picked up a Lorraine Heath to read after ages, the last time I read a book of hers I cannot even remember. But what I definitely can recall with vivid clarity is just how emotional her books are, how much angst they carry, and how much I enjoyed them even as I cried over the obstacles between the hero and heroine in achieving their happiness.

It is 1841 and winter in London when Ettie Trewlove receives a bundle on her doorstep, another by-blow left for her to take in, babies born in sin by aris
Lady Wesley
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-listen
Because: Kate Reading narrates.
Amanda
Can I just take a second before I start this review to say how stunningly gorgeous the covers are for this series? SO. MUCH. PRETTY. Plus, purple is my favorite color so if purple covers are the next trend, I am so here with that. Okay, moving on.

When a Duke Loves a Woman is the follow-up to one of my surprise favorites of 2018, Beyond Scandal and Desire. Unlike its predecessor though, this book offered very little in the way of drama. Unless you count the way in which Gillie and Thorne meet, wh
Aila
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as dnf
I guess I might get back to this one, but I'm just not feeling it.

I REALLY, REALLY like the premise of the book. I love it when a character has to take care of their significant other, and they fall in love throughout. But WHEN A DUKE LOVES A WOMAN was just SO repetitive. From the very first 20%, I've read pages and pages of Gil bemoaning of how she wanted someone to love and hold and be intimate with. And girl, I get you. I DO. But she was rattling for a looooong time. Same with the duke, whose
Jen Davis
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lorraine Heath follows up the first book in her Sins For All Seasons series with this story, featuring another one of the Trewlove siblings. This is Gillie’s story. She is a tall, independent, self-made woman, who owns her own tavern. She has never needed or even wanted a man. She can take care of herself and she likes it that way.

But everything changes when she stumbles on the duke of Thornley, moments after he is attacked by a band of the thieves. The only reason Thorne was in the seedier part
Sbell
I haven't read historical romance in a while,
and I have read thousands of them. Lorraine
Heath use to be one of my favorites. She did
not disappoint in this one!! I will say it was
a little slow at times, but Thorne was just so
yummy, that it made up for that one little
flaw. I also liked how I thought I knew how
the plot was going, and I didn't. This book
was exactly what I have been missing lately,
and this is making me think I need a little
more historical romance in my life!!
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2018/08/angelas...

Favorite Quote:

“You are a remarkable woman, Gillie Trewlove. I am a better man for having known you.”

The second book in the Sins for all Seasons series by Lorraine Heath introduces readers to Gillie Trewlove. One of six children left on Ettie Trewlove’s doorstep, she’s grown into a smart, savvy business owner who looks out for her neighbors around her tavern in Whitechapel.

Antony Coventry, Duke of Thornley, isn’t having a great
  • What a Difference a Duke Makes (School for Dukes, #1)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
  • The Trouble with True Love (Dear Lady Truelove, #2)
  • Not the Duke's Darling (Greycourt, #1)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
  • The Scottish Duke: A Dukes Trilogy Novel
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • It's Hard Out Here for a Duke (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #4)
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • The Secret of Flirting (Sinful Suitors, #5)
  • Lady Be Reckless (Duke's Daughters, #2)
  • No Earls Allowed (The Survivors, #2)
  • A Date at the Altar (Marrying the Duke, #3)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Sins for All Seasons (4 books)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)