Start by marking “Spectral Shift” as Want to Read:
Spectral Shift

Spectral Shift

We were never alone-a prescient rendering of a dark cyberpunk future, a Neon Dystopia with a Lovecraftian flair

Abernathy Squire, an agent for the Homeland, is reluctant to come out of retirement. A century has passed since the Spectral Wars. The world has changed. The elite have fled to other planes and those left in the sprawling megacities are ruled by the five syndicate
Paperback
Published August 8th 2017 by Holt Smith Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Spectral Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectral Shift

Start your review of Spectral Shift
Rita
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story just carried me away to another place and time. Wonderful writing.

I was given this book as an advanced reader copy in exchange for a honest review. I have to say I found this book really awesome!

Called out of retirement Abernathy Squire, known to his friends as Abby, is contacted by a long time colleague of the his from the bureau he retired from. He is asked to come back into service and help them find a missing artifact of great value. This artifact is said to have mystical and magi
Jenna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this would make an awesome TV series. can't wait to read more!
Norma
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, reviewed, s-f
"Age is only skin deep ..."
The world has changed in the years since the Spectral Wars. Humans can be forever young, different races co-exist and travel is possible between planes. Arcadia is where the elite live, away from the congestion of normal folk, with blue skies and tangerine light. But it's not all paradise: an artefact believed to hold great power has been stolen and a long retired agent from Homeland is commissioned to find it.

Well written and with great imagination, this is a swirling
Jean-Charles Garaud
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to be advised
Steven Mastroyin
This book is a lot of fun and has a cool explanation for various mythologies of Earth, and the action setpieces are cool enough.

That said, I had three major problems.

- I guess I'm old, or maybe it's the availability of the internet, but lascivious descriptions of every woman in a story tends to make me feel bored these days. Honestly 10% of this book reads like a Penthouse letter that never gets to the actual sex.

- The conceit is just too much and is thrown in with a lot of other unexplained wor
Mike
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book is part of the Dominion Rising anthology.

This story starts off very slowly, presumably for the sake of world-building. But, as at least one other reviewer points out, there isn't much to speak of. For example, it took me about halfway through the book for me to conceptualize what "shifting up/down the spectrum" might look like and how such a thing could be done at will using technology.

The teaser talks about a Lovecraftian vibe, but since I am not as familiar with Cthulhu, etc.,
Carly Kirk
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
(I read this in the ebook collection Dominion Rising)

This was an interesting book, but I felt out of the loop quite a bit. I understand that the way the author decided to impart knowledge of this world was by totally immersing the reader right away and only giving us the thoughts of the main character Abby, but there was so much going on and happening. All the knowledge that a citizen of this time and place knows and takes for granted (basically the backstory of how the world even came to be how
Hugo N. Saravia
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Five stars for creativity and awesome entertainment, a well executed and written sci-fi tale with a whole cup of lovecraftian fantasy as if the author knew my liking of H. P. Lovecraft horror stories. For those who enjoy H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, this book is for ya, and then some!
Anna Wick
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abby is a fine character, Leta and Jazz are great side kicks. the world is complicated, but I think I got the gist of it.
Stephen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Just an ok read, will I read another like this? No Way. It was ok, but I was left feeling like I had wasted my time.
Mary
Jul 07, 2019
Dean
Sep 26, 2019
Daniel
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Seamus
Bob Edwards
Aug 30, 2017
Jayne
Apr 08, 2018

• The Amber Project (The Variant Saga, #1)
  • 1799 Planetfall (Symbiont Wars Universe #1)
  • Blank: Mind The Gap
  • Carritos the Assassin
  • Curse (The Wexkia Trilogy, #1)
  • The Executioner (The Cosmic Justice League Book 1)
  • Outsystem (The Intrepid Saga #1)
  • Recruited (Rayna Tan #0.5)
  • Evil Rises (Noah Reid, #0.5)
  • Shadow (Warpmancer #1)
  • Hopebreaker (The Great Iron War, #1)
  • Lifemaker (The Great Iron War, #2)
  • Escape (Lake of Sins, #1)
  • Reclaim: Reclaim Book 1
  • NEANDER: A Time Travel Adventure
  • The Man From Taured: A breakneck mystery-thriller (World's Scariest Legends Book 3)
  • Dark Transmissions: A Jinxed Thirteenth Novel
Daniel Arthur Smith is a USA Today best selling author. His titles include Spectral Shift, Hugh Howey Lives, The Cathari Treasure, The Somali Deception, and a few other novels and short stories. He also curates the phenomenal short fiction series Tales from the Canyons of the Damned.
He was raised in Michigan and graduated from Western Michigan University where he studied philosophy, with focus on

News & Interviews