Start by marking “In High Cotton (Neely Kate Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
In High Cotton (Neely Kate Mystery #2)

In High Cotton

(Neely Kate Mystery #2)

The second book in the USA Today bestselling Neely Kate Mystery series, a spinoff of the New York Times bestselling Rose Gardner series.

Neely Kate’s life is finally coming together. She’s living and working with her best friend, Rose. Her newly discovered brother, Joe, has decided he’s done hiding that she’s his sister, and her new boyfriend, Jed, is everything she could h
Published July 31st 2018 by DGS

To ask other readers questions about In High Cotton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In High Cotton

Ian
Is it good? Is it bad?

I don't know.

It was kind of entertaining. There were a few sparks of Denise Grover Swank at her best...but it just feels like a bunch of characters have been tossed into a novel writing machine and this is the result.
Angela
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Neely Kate!

I purchased this book over a year ago. That's how long I had been waiting for more Neely Kate. With Neely Kate dating Jed and her brother being Joe Simmons, you know things aren't going to be easy for her. This book is no exception to that rule. Denise Grover Swank likes to dish out drama and shenanigans for her characters and there is no telling how it's going to play out. I love Rose Gardner and her series' but I think Neely Kate is my spirit animal.
TJ
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0

This story would have rated an enthusiastic 4.5 - 5.0 stars if but for one thing. Yep, it’s a thing that will bring an otherwise near perfect book not only down a full star and a half but will make me want to drop kick it across the floor and out the door.

THERE IS NO ENDING!!! After following one of my all-time favorite heroines through the challenges, stress and trials she faces, the story, the mystery, everything just... stops. QUITS!! Seriously! RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A CONVERSATION! N
Theresa
4.5 Stars... Neely Kate's past continues to step into her present looking to destroy all that she has built... As she learns to trust those she loves, Neely Kate begins to recognize her own worth and value... Relationships begin to solidify as she places faith in others as they face off against dangerous enemies and secrets long buried are unveiled... Once again Denise Grover Swank captivates her readers with these dysfunctional families and friendships that are filled with humor and heart... Al ...more
Heather
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is now officially my favorite Swank book so far. She has a way of weaving a story that keeps you riveted from page one. This book was a perfect example of that. There were so many twists and turns and still a few unanswered questions. I absolutely loved this book.
Sophie Koufes
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh My! I need more Neely Kate! Just too fabulous! Neely Kate Mystery Series, a spin-off of Rose Gardner series just stole the show. The witty humour will have you crying from laughing so hard. Plenty of Shenanigans mixed with twists rolled into one perfect riveting read. Mystery, murder, & romance, braided together to create a jaw dropping, end of your seat thrill ride. One of the best aspects of this novel is my love for Joe Simmons just grew stronger with this book. With a cameo appearance ...more
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
All I can say is Denise is a master storyteller! She is able to pull you into this world with imperfect and damaged people and you can't helped but to be moved through their journey of self-discovery and healing.

Neely Kate's life is slowly spinning out of control. her past wont stay buried and her fear is keeping her locked away from those who love and want to help. Her shame consume much of her thoughts and fights daily with her insecurities. While you want to scream at her to open up and let
Renee
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Write faster DGS, write faster!

I absolutely ADORE these books. Everything from the long running arcs, the mysteries, and of course the characters (even crazy Kate). Lots of Joe in this one which warmed my heart as I still have him as a bit of a favorite from way back in the first book (blocking out that whole Hillary mess!). Gotta say, contrary to public opinion, never liked Mason and am feeling pretty smug about that right now.

Of course, this was Jed and NK's story and boy did it move their rel
Hyacinth Bridgerton
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dgs, mystery
The first Neely Kate (NK) book did not have a lot of the well-known characters -- I liked it, but it was not what I had expected. That was OK, because it dealt with Neely Kate's dark past, her demons and why she felt she couldn't open up to anybody. This one shows a lot more of NK's interactions with the people we've been reading about for the past few years -- crazy (evil half-sister) Kate escapes, bodies drop like flies around NK so Jed and Joe need to work together to help Neely Kate. Loved t ...more
Jacquelyn
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rose Gardner who?? Just kidding..but seriously I have been really apprehensive of this series because I love all the Rose books so much so having her as a supporting character didn’t sit right with me. The first book in Neely Kate’s series was okay but this one really grabbed my attention and made crave Neely Kate’s story. Whether you are a fan of the Rose Gardner books or not, this series is awesome in its own right and I can’t wait for the next one!
Cindy Mathis
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read In High Cotton all in one sitting. Actually, I read every DGS book in one sitting. This world that Denise Grover Swank has created in Fenton County, Arkansas has it all. Murder, mystery, intrigue, romance. It’s one of those stories that makes you feel like you’re just hanging out with friends and family. I can’t recommend it enough!
Ellen Anderson
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In High Cotton

This book had me holding my breath and on the edge of my seat the entire time. Very good story. Love Neely Kate and Jed is awesome! Always happy when Rose or Joe are around also. Wish we could have had a bit more at the end, but looking forward to the next book.
Samantha Malstrom
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good!!! Neely Kate is back in her second book and it was even better than I thought it would be, which is saying something because I thought it would be incredible! NK’s first book focused on her too but having her the focus in Henryetta and in her element was really phenomenal. There is action, romance, drama, mystery and conflict, everything you want in a great book. There are a few twists and turns and the story line just became a whole lot more complicated so I can’t wait to see what happ ...more
Melinda
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Waaaaay too cheesy for my liking. Pretty disappointed in this book especially considering I have loved all the books in this and the Rose Gardner series up to this point.
Andrea
Love

I just love Neely Kate and Rose! Their story is so entertaining and engaging. If you haven't read any of the Rose Gardener series, you need too. Seriously. Go now. You don't know what you are missing!
debra pemberton
High cotton

I loved the book. I can’t wait to read the next one. I have already pre-ordered the next one and can’t wait to read it!
Nati
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keep you reading until the end. How a plot can be so twisted? Awesome as always.
Sondra Wayman
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series...the Rose Gardner and the Neely Kate series...they are tied together. This book focuses on Neely Kate, and loving this character I was glad to see Denise Grover Swank focus on her. Her story has a huge amazing WOW factor in the plot line! One thing I love about these books is the characters grow as people...well, at least most of them do. This book is a mystery as well as a romance...and I love her boyfriend Jed...and the focus on him in this book. I recommend this book and t ...more
Paula
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great suspense

This author has done it again. I couldn't put the book down. It's full of suspense, murder and finally, the romance we've all been waiting for.
Tina
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DGS's Rose Gardner/Neely Kate series are my "sure thing" books. In High Cotton was another excellent installment.

Karen Ball
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book about a girl who had to fight hard to get out of a bad life and has to continue to fight to keep away the evil that pursues her.
Jacqueline
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

All I can say is just wow really, this was good as always and when it comes to Nelly Kate, Joe, Rose, and Jed you just can’t go wrong.
The more and more I read each book, I just keep falling more and more in love with JOE and JED. Yes there’s still James aka Skeeter and I do like him, but still, I don’t know if I’m the only one but I don’t think I’ll ever stop dreaming for Rose and Joe to get back together. Of course with Kate on the loose it’s a crazy nightmare. I’m just a little speechle
Rhea
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Like all Denise Grover Swank books, I loved this. Emotional, suspenseful and a delight from start to finish.
Angela Shockley
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Neely Kate mysteries. It's the same world of Fenton County, Arkansas, but with a completely different perspective. There's just as much drama and joy as there was in the Rose Gardner Mysteries and the current Rose Gardner Investigations. Neely Kate is such a strong character. Her past is a painful one (go read Trailer Trash, the first book in her series!), and seeing how she's been able to overcome it all has been inspiring.

Neely Kate and Jed are so swoon-worthy! Jed could not be more
Emily Stone
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breanna Watkins
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love all of Denise’s Rose Gardner books. Just like all of her other books in the series this one is fast paced, funny, and full of plot twists. I do wish this book didn’t end on a “cliff hanger”. I wanted a little more closure. I read the book in 1 night so it’s a very quick read.
Niv
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Phyllis Saunders
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DGS did it again!

Denise writes characters that are easy to relate to and stories that keep you on the edge of your seat. Another winner. Can't wait for the next Rose book.
Rebekah
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whether it’s Rose or NK, I love them. Another brilliant chapter. 👍🏻👍🏻
Denise Beauchamp
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG Denise Grover Swank,you have out done yourself once again, this series is amazing, the only downside is I have to wait till November for the next book. Everyone needs to pick up,any book from this amazing author 💖👍👌.

Neely Kate Mystery (3 books)
  • Trailer Trash (Neely Kate Mystery #1)
  • Dirty Money: Neely Kate Mystery #3