Start by marking “The Science of Likability: 27 Studies to Master Charisma, Attract Friends, Captivate People, and Take Advantage of Human Psychology” as Want to Read:

100% scientific and proven ways to make friends quickly, turn enemies into friends, gain trust, and be flat-out likable.
Some of the most interesting, shocking, and counterintuitive scientific conclusions to simply make people want to be around you.

In The Science of Likability, you'll get all that and more. I've taken 27 seminal scientific and psychological studies and b
Published July 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Likability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Likability

David Skinner
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Not bad. I got it because it was cheap. He basically quotes a bunch of other authors. He has few original ideas. I say that he had original ideas, but only because I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I don't remember any of them. He makes good points, but does not bring anything really new to the table.
Daniel Gaddy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Good stuff in here. But King spent too much time providing examples to concepts that were easy enough to comprehend. Definitely worth the time and money, but as short as it is, I think it could have been even shorter.
Lakita
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read - Eye opening

Speaking as a non-people person who is working on changing that aspect of my character this book was helpful in providing implementable tactics and ideas to help me in my personal transition. The funny thing is that I recognize the blatant over use of some of these tactics by a co-worker of mine. I actually have a better perspective on making the needed changes but also on not wanting to change or be accepted so bad that I run these tactics in the ground. I think this is
Emerson de Oliveira
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy read and very informative, i will definitely will use what a i learned with thus book!

Great book, definitely recommend! Very easy to read, and simple to understand the concepts for a every day use, for social and close interactions!
Ana
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was good, but it did not tell me anything I didn't know before.
Scott Allan
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm one of those people that are always trying to be liked, even if the people I am trying to impress continue to ignore and not pay attention. Many times I think I tried too hard and ended up looking really desperate, as if I had no friends at all to speak of.

Well it turns out that being likeable doesn't mean everyone has to like you. And some people won't, no matter who you are or how nice you are. That is what I like about Patrick King's book "The Science of Likeability." There are tons of us
Moh
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and informative book about the psychology of likeability

This book was a really fun read!

I picked this book because the title was catchy, but I didn’t have a real purpose for reading it beyond intrigue and curiosity. The author did a great job delivering valuable knowledge about likeability works.

The book touches on how we people perceive each other and how you can control people’s perceptions of you. Some great ideas in the book are: asking people to do you favors maks them per
Annie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I would give this book 3.5 stars. The tips are likely obvious to many people just through everyday interactions, like find something positive about the person and compliment him, act like a friend (not guarded like a stranger) and the person will start to see you as a friend, and find things in common with the person. There are few tips that might not be commonly known, such as ask the person who dislikes you for a favor ("Can you help me with writing the report?"). This is a subtle compliment h ...more
Lajet
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some interesting things, but also things that I think are wrong. Many of the suggestions/comments are overly simplistic. I've been working on a project about how/why people do and don't connect. I don't remember anything remarkable in this book or that I hadn't heard before, and a few things I just disagreed with. e.g One chapter suggests sharing and being vulnerable - which is true, to an extent. But there is also oversharing, as Brene Brown discusses. Another example - acting like ...more
Jaime MC
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy to read

This book had a lot of mostly common sense ideas a person can practice to become more likeable. Each chapter explains a summary of the experiments or theories behind why these tactics work. These would be easy to adopt the ones you aren't already using into everyday life. Some I would not use, like finding out what a person likes and pretending to like it. But even then the author explains why such tactics work. There are sections on group interaction and leadership as well. One othe
Luiz Fabricio
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psicologia
Better than I expected

See; first of all, this book lost a whole star because I had the whispersinc to voice version. The narrator was heinous. I finished the book and I'm not sure if it was a robot or a human. It sounded wrong, like sintetized voice failing spectacularly in imprint emotions in sentences. Sounded like an agonizing dying metal bird.

On the other hand, the content is better than I expected. Quite robust in scientific references and straight to the point. Felt a couple chapters were
Kristin
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
For me, The Science of Likeability is a 3 star book. It's interesting and it has helpful tips; however, some of it's content is either painfully obvious or seems a little over the top.

Regardless, I gained some valuable insight and really think that certain chapters were more helpful than others - and worth revisiting when I have questions - while others didn't seem to be very helpful.

I liked having a book that I could pick up and read and then drop for a few days without feeling like I was mis
Giobana Garcia
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good interesting read.

I started reading this book out of curiosity as tend to be attrcted to psychology research books which this one has.

Apart from that the book is well structured so it is eady to follow. The fact that comes with research that backs up the information is even better.

I have started using one method already about acting like a friend to people I wanted to get closser together yet jist met and it definitely has been working for me.

Overall it is a good read and I thoroughly enjo
Tracy Barnett
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tips for traveling through life's ineractions.

Enjoyable read. If you're not very socially adept, this will definitely give you key cues by which to operate. If you have always been socially adept, there are some GREAT reminders in here. The book is laid out well, provides concrete examples and scenarios. A major benefit is it follows a progression from low-level interaction to more difficult circumstances.
Kyle Robins
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a quick read about the various wars in which we can consciously take advantage of natural human physiology to form better relationships and creat greater influence in our lives.

My favorite takeaway from this book is the tendency of our thoughts about others to be true. If we take the time to actively decide to look at people in a positive light, It may very well be the case that they “magically” begin to act in alignment with our thoughts.
shannon
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. Very positive and easy to read. It never feels preachy or feel talked down to

I would definitely (and already have) recommended this book to my "inner ring" of friends :) youll get the reference if you choose to read! You really should by the way. Full of positive and easy ways to incorporate quick little tips in socializing, you'll be turning the pages with eager and ease.
Kathy S. McBride
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Just what the world needs: how to make more phony people

I’d give this no stars if possible. Quick summary is “fake it till you make it.” Fool people into believing you’re their friend and that you care about them in order to get into their circle. Yes, it works. The world is full of people who do that. Personally I’d rather make a real connection with just one person than phony my way through any situation.
Totally not for me.
Kevin
Jan 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
The author either cannot or will not differentiate between being likable, and manipulating people.

That he can’t see it is alarming. That 90% of the reviews can’t see it is a further indication as to the great Republic crumbling at its foundations.

“I can fake anything except sincerity,” goes the old quote.

Yes he does. Got through chapter 1.

Pure sociopath, and a best selling author! Sound familiar * cough cough orange clown. *
Michael Janov
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice Refresher, Some Aha Moments

Nothing blew my mind, but there were several "aha..." moments that I could relate to actions and habits of my more sociable friends, peers, and role models. If nothing else, it's a great little book to refresh on some topics and keep them at the forefront during my day to day. The very short and focused chapters make that easier to accomplish.
Ben RABETAFIKA
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very simple

I have learned something from this book for sure. It content is not as solid as I expected though. I am disappointed on how simple the book was but it can also be the good side of it -- especially for people beginning to explore these topics.
Considering the price, it was a good bargain. Thanks Mr. King for sharing.
Robert C. Harmala
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful

My life has changed in many positive ways. I have a spouse, a job and a new car at great price. Maybe not all due to the book. In seriousness, very digestible quick studies with concise take always. Definitely gets you thinking about your interactions, particularly with strangers.
Dr. Ashish J. Vashi
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practical information

I enjoyed reading the book. From the social setting to the professional, it definitely has practical tactics to succeed. Like he says in the boom, some information sounds obvious, but when it’s broken down scientifically it makes more sense. For me personally, that will make it more useable.
Melissa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Unlike How to Win Friends that tells you that people like compliments but Carnegie is quick to point out only make a sincere compliment, this book tells you to pretend to be clumsy and gossip can be great for bonding. But in the conclusion this author tells you not to pretend to be clumsy, that’s not the way to use the knowledge given in the book. WTF?
John Vanek
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished2017
Overall a good read. Some items are treated as more of an overview and I feel could have been fleashed out more with examples. But fortunately the majority of the book does a good job addressing concepts and behaviors. Nothing earth shattering but good to keep these principles in your thoughts and start to make them into habits. Especially for us introverts.
Steven
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If You Are A Robot Read It

It’s uncomplicated and completely helpful. The applications of the information provided cross into every social scenario. It can also help with the journey inward.
Pierre Jutras
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful insights

Clear and interesting analysis of human interaction. This is very helpful in understanding how to relate effectively with people. I feel better equipped after reading it.
Thank you Patrick King.
Jake Bradshaw
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy and interesting. My only problem is that the author would summarize the main points at the end of every chapter. So, you can just make it easier on yourself and skip everything and read the main points.
Mark Manderson
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent info on becoming more likable!

Some of the takeaways were:
Ask for advice, even if don't need it others will find you more interesting to be around.
Your current moods are highly linked to the type of memories that are on your mind.
Juan Manuel Vera
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesante, ágil y atractivo

Es un libro muy interesante con ideas claras sobre como actuar. Los estudios que presenta son útiles y los consejos prácticos.

Los probaré y comentaré si sin efectivos.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing new or earth shattering. More importantly, the author should perhaps, look for someone else to do the narration. I nearly pulled my hair out listening to his voice. If you're interested in this book, I highly recommend that you read the physical version.
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Thinking with People Who Think Differently
  • Queen of Your Own Life: The Grown-Up Woman's Guide to Claiming Happiness and Getting the Life You Deserve
  • Extraordinary Leadership
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture
  • The Perfect Day Formula: How to Own the Day and Control Your Life
  • Power Moves: Lessons from Davos
  • Learn French with Stories for Beginners: 15 French Stories for Beginners with English Glossaries throughout the text.
  • Group Dynamics
  • American Studies
  • Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent
  • Selling to the C-Suite: What Every Executive Wants You to Know about Successfully Selling to the Top
  • Freedom from Emotional Eating
  • Steinz: gids voor de wereldliteratuur
  • Awkward Moments (Not Found in Your Average) Children's Bible - Vol. 2
  • BOLD: 212 Charisma and Small Talk Tips to Engage, Charm and Leave a Lasting Impression
  • SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
  • Literature And Science
“When people subconsciously begin to associate you with positive moods and emotions, you are going to be the bell that makes people smile without realizing why.” 0 likes