Start by marking “Zenith (ESS Space Marines #1)” as Want to Read:
Zenith (ESS Space Marines #1)

Zenith

(ESS Space Marines #1)

A perplexing distress call. A missing crew. Only one marine can save them.
Sergeant Andrea “Andy” Dolan leads a squad of fearless marines into the depths of space. After the Star Chaser receives a distress call from the star base Zenith, Andy’s squad is sent to investigate. When all heck breaks lose, there is only one person who can save the crew of the Zenith and her own
Published June 30th 2017 by Fairfield Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Zenith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zenith

Pete
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an interesting first book in a new series, a quite short but well written story. There was plenty of tension and the character of 'Andy', the leader of a team of Space Marines is quite well developed. Unfortunately the other members of the team are not described in any depth at all, and this was a bit of a disappointment. But overall a slightly different treatment of a fairly standard Sci-Fi theme, that of a space station which isn't responding to messages, and where 'something bad' has ...more
Patrick Barnes
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done

Very nicely written and again, well done. The characters and the situation were so real, that I could picture their distress.

I've read a lot of junk lately and am suspicious of any title featuring a military unit or the words "liberty" or "freedom". Boy, was this worth it. Real reactions to danger from both the men and women involved and the situation being resolved by a female officer, who is described by her rank, abilities and duties and not by her shapely good looks or other sillin
Elissa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read; we are introduced to a military unit known as Space Marines and treated to essentially an early Star Trek episode with multiple races represented (yeah, we are talking different colors--like purple and pearl), each with special capabilities unique to their species. Everything is grimly serious and redshirts are falling out all over but there was enough of an over-the-top quality that kept me happily reading along and looking forward to seeing what will happen next.
Lisa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
More a serialization than a book IMO

I enjoyed the beginning story in the series. Unfortunately it also exemplifies one of my pet peeves: short serialized segments of an ongoing story. I only abhor cliffhangers more!! I like the author (couple) so will probably read a few more but I won’t write any more evaluations. As of now you know my opinion — where is my HEA???
Michael Wood
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very Good Military Space Opera Novella

Just a bit short to be considered a book, this novella covers a single ESS Space Marines mission. One mission, one problem, and the Marines know what to do with problems...
ADA BURGOS
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Space Suspence story

I could not put the reader down once I started reading. Mysteries are my passion and combined with space marines leave me wanting more. I already ordered the next one.
Brenda
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kind of Sci Fi/Space Opera - high energy, lots of action, super fast pace, short, sweet, and to the point. I already know that I will thoroughly enjoy reading the adventures of this group of Space Marines!
Kandy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable short story set out in space. The characters are very interesting and the book is very well written. I enjoyed it and cannot wait to see what is next for Andy.
Ron
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a new series about space marines and there first encounter with an alien species who instill fear to create chaos. Looking forward to the next installment
Witold
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

It is good and interesting book. It was keeping me continuously interested what will happen next.
I will for sure read the next one from Serie.
Chris Page
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable space marine romp my only problem is that shortly before the characters begin to grow on you the book ends so is much more a chapter than a book.
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It got me hooked from the first page to the last. It did feel like the ‘end’ fight could have been dragged out a bit more, some more suspense and well just more (blood, guts, ninja skills eg). I really want to read the next in the series, so it has done it job really well.

I just like how everything went to poop pretty fast, that the main character picked up on small things very quickly and knew stuff wasn’t right. You could tell she knew her team really well, you didn’t get to know a lot about h
Brian Turner
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A good short story introducing the Marines of the Earth Space Service. Called on to investigate a distress beacon, they find things aren't as they seem.
It focuses on Sergeant Andrea (Andy) Dolan and her squad in a quite tense story.
The other squad members could have done with some more detail, but this is a really short story that moves the action on rather than loads of filler.
Woulf
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, but enjoyable

I thought the characters were well developed in a short amount of time. I feel like I know the whole team a bit and want to know more. The action was good and I want to hear the next part of the story.
Ian Denner
Nov 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not good

I did not enjoy this book at all. Not nice reading about space marines running away from fights, crying from fright etc. Will definitely not be buying the rest of the series.
Calnic1
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

It is a good story, way to short. However it is listed as a novella. Can't wait to read the next book.
Margie Murrow
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good

This is a good story but the author needs to fill out his characters. I think he shows promises. He just needs more meat to his story
Daniel Lockard
herbert ottey
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Change (The Stork Tower, #3)
  • For the Good of All (First of my Kind Series)
  • King Killer (Star Justice #7)
  • Syrin's Mate (Alien Bounty Hunters #4)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Twist
  • Dark Warriors: A Dark Lands Anthology (Darklands, #5-6)
  • The Power of Two (2176 Series, #4)
  • Kinsman's Oath
  • Dark Stranger (Primes, #8)
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
  • Critically Endangered (Endangered #1)
  • Perilous Waif (Alice Long #1)
  • The Forgotten Engineer (The Athena Lee Chronicles #1)
  • Alternity
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
James David Victor is the pen name used by science fiction and fantasy author David J. VanBergen Jr. for co-authored projects. It is his way of sharing more stories with you than he could write by himself.

If you would like to check out all of his books, under both pen names, and get a free short story, be sure to sign up for his Science Fiction newsletter by visiting:
fairfieldpublishing.com/sci-fi

ESS Space Marines (9 books)
  • Daikon (ESS Space Marines #2)
  • Star Chaser (ESS Space Marines #2.5)
  • Arkana (ESS Space Marines #3)
  • Nebula (ESS Space Marines #4)
  • Eclipse (ESS Space Marines #5)
  • Lykos (ESS Space Marines #6)
  • Stranded (ESS Space Marines #7)
  • Furlough (ESS Space Marines #8)