Start by marking “Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code (Zed Shaw's Hard Way Series)” as Want to Read:

Published June 26th 2017 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Learn Python 3 the Hard Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn Python 3 the Hard Way

Xavier
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars for average. I would recommend Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes over this. The biggest problems are, one, how he explains and treats OOP and Classes from ex40 onwards, and two, how he teaches packages and testing with virtual environments (which is from ex46 to ~end of book). I was ready to give this book 5 stars before encountering these major shortcomings. Additionally, his emphasis on text-based games for learning the content are extremely dull, and omits using and teaching standar ...more
Gavin
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs, very-useful
Much, much more my style - opinionated, joined-up, irreverent - though not my speed ("this book gives you the mental tools and attitude you need to go through most Python books and actually learn something"). Shaw is a beautiful mind in a slightly unhinged shell:
Which programming language you learn and use doesn't matter. Do not get sucked into the religion surrounding programming languages as that will only blind you to their true purpose of being your tool for doing interesting things.

Program
Alexander Smith
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good! If you want to teach yourself Python from a very basic level, this book is the way to start. There are others out there, but they probably won't be as simple and pedagogically thorough. This book is NOT a "theory, theory, theory, then practice" book. This is a "Just do this; okay, now in detail, what did you do? If that was fun, do these other things..." book. It works very well! If you ever have a month where you have a couple hours everyday, you will be done with this i ...more
 ج ــ
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
a nice introduction for those who doesn't have any previous knowledge in python programming language. Generally, the book is good, I like the way (method) that he used in his exercises, more practical than copy/paste the code. I recommend it as an introduction to get the basics (still reading it now)
André
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: python-books
I really like the just do it approach the books takes to getting started. It gets you typing and executing code without a deep understanding of the aspects, but then later tries to fill in the gaps. The author uses games as example to practice major concepts like classes. He also gives you the programming tips such as using Atom text editor, etc.
Rodrigo Jardim
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
O livro é bom, mas foi básico demais para o que eu queria, considerado que já tenho uma boa base,o ideal é ir para projetos OS em python e ver como o pessoal usa em produção, quero aprender os patterns de Python, más este livro é ótimo para quem ainda não conhece a linguagem
Fuad Athamnah
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've seen a lot of online tutorials and full courses, I can easily say this book is better than any online course, nothing deep in Python it's for total beginners with the same basic concepts, but it's the best way to tart with Python, easy to follow.
Arquero
Right book to start your Python Journey
Sally Ragab
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
An amazing introduction to a beautiful language
Cyril
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
It's an interesting read, definitely an interesting method but it's directed to complete beginners to programming.

The idea here is that things are addressed in a practical way, not theoretical. You'll learn things by trials and errors, repeating code so that the "how to do" gets imprinted in your memory However you won't necessarily understand the "why". Also the author doesn't explain much but asks you to look for answers by yourself. It's obviously the best way to learn. I mean we human learn
Nick
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written for "absolute" programming beginner.

It is boring for anyone who has basic programming experience.
I saw some recommendations on the book and read the preface of the book online.
so I bought it.
However, there is nothing in the preface that indicates this book is for absolute programming beginner/just for beginner. The author should indicate it......
I have not learnt much from this book except the basic python syntax.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG5 IRC
Accession No: DL029999
Andrzej
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Very good book for start learning python. Holding on hand and take care of understanding the basic knowledge.
Angad Grewal
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great hand-holding in the process of learning Python, doesn't do a great job of making you want to explore on your own.
Libardo Muñoz
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great way to learn python in a couple of weeks.
Mohamed Waheed
Good entry-level book. I loved it.
Ashwin Kesavan