Start by marking “Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)

Nocturna

(A Forgery of Magic #1)

Set in a Latinx-inspired world, a face-changing thief and a risk-taking prince must team up to defeat a powerful evil they accidentally unleashed.

To Finn Voy, magic is two things: a knife to hold under the chin of anyone who crosses her…and a disguise she shrugs on as easily as others pull on cloaks.

As a talented faceshifter, it’s been years since Finn has seen her own fac
Published May 7th 2019 by Balzer + Bray (first published May 2nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Nocturna, please sign up.
Veronika It's mainly switching between two main characters, but there are also a few sections with POVs of other characters, I can count three others, but they…moreIt's mainly switching between two main characters, but there are also a few sections with POVs of other characters, I can count three others, but they are short and not that often. (less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
The book trailer is out and you can watch it here!

The day may come when I stumble upon a book with a pretty cover and not immediately add it to my TBR but it is not this day.

Also, this is set in a Latinx-inspired world and it's about a face-shifting thief and a prince with a magical doorknob that could lead him anywhere he desires. Take. My. Money.
Angelica
I had hoped to love this book. And yet, somewhere deep in my little heart I knew, knew almost for certain, that I wouldn’t. That it was almost too good to be true.

Now I’ve read it and lo and behold, I did not, in fact, love this book.

Some of you may or may not know this about me, but I am Dominican. I was born and partially raised in The Dominican Republic, a small, Spanish speaking island in the Carribean, where the sun always shines and the beaches are always blue. So, to hear that an author w
Jessica McKenna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Any unabashedly good reviews of this book must be from people who either have never read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic Trilogy, or who do not care when a book's entire plot is lifted from another source.

Several sources, in fact. Because beyond the egregious ripping-off of Schwab's trilogy, even the tiny, different details are often easily traceable back to other sources, from which they have just as blatantly been stolen and cobbled.

I've been annoyed at books before for stealing basic plot from
Emily May

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔮
Cinda
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blurbs, ya, diverse, fantasy
Welcome to San Cristobal, a Latinx kingdom laced with magic and grappling with homegrown treachery and a colonial past. When the true heir to the throne is assassinated, reluctant Prince Alfehr joins forces with a chameleon of a street thief to save the kingdom from an ancient evil. In the process, they may find a way to save each other.

Fantasy fans will embrace the creative worldbuilding and welcome these flawed and multi-layered characters into their hearts.
helena
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FASCINATING!

i always wanted to read a latino-inspired ya fantasy. there are lots of fantasies inspired in europe or the us. even arabic-inspired. but i searched and searched for something latino, something like nocturna, and i never found it.
thankfully, maya motayne exists. and her book is AMAZING!

the world-building is incredible. i’m gonna be honest with you: when i started reading it, i couldn’t stop thinking that nocturna is actually a darker shade of magic, but in south america. but, as the
Dannii Elle
A face-shifting thief, who steals more than just food and coin to survive but also the faces of those she meets, and a prince, with a magical doorknob to lead him directly to wherever he wants in the world, combine in an unprecedented interweaving of fates.

The former, Finn Voy, seeks to escape the dark shadow dominating her past but finds herself with a new foe to duel with, when she aligns her plight with the Prince's. Prince Alfehr is not concerned with ruling the kingdom but only in seeking t
Lea (drumsofautumn)
BIG OLD YIKES! It's hard for me to write this review because I really wanted to love this book and I was so excited to have a Fantasy book with an all Latinx cast.
Sadly, this book has one big issue that I need to talk about.

This book is about a prince and a thief in a magical world. The prince can travel from one place to another by making basically any wall a door. The thief steals something from the prince and they meet. The prince's cousin (who's like a brother to him) gets poisoned and in or
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

LATINX WORLD! Yeah, so I've lived among Latin people for years and love the food, culture and language. It really excited me to read that we'd get a fantasy world inspired by a rarely seen culture. And come one... how can I not be excited for a character that can change their face!?

The Premise

When I started Nocturna I had totally forgotten what the premise had said about it. The only thing I remembered what that it was Latinx!! Right awa
julia ♥
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
read the full review on my blog : here!

"Magic could not speak, yet interacting with it felt like a conversation,
a dance, a story shared with a friend with the ending left up to interpretation."

2019 is just full of beautifully diverse fantasy releases, and Nocturna had been on my TBR since the beginning of the year. Imagine my delight when I received this book in one of my April subscription boxes (and this gorgeous special edition no less!) Of course I had to immediately dive into this book!

W
Julie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DO. NOT. MISS. THIS.

“This searing, magical Latinx-inspired fantasy pulled me in from the first page and did not let me go. I loved adventuring with brave Alfie and brash Finn, and I held my breath until the end. NOCTURNA is a magnificent debut, powerful and true.”
- Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
Alaina
Apr 18, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: june-2019
Just got this book in my fairyloot box 😍😍
Hollis
Man I'm really getting hit with a lot of these YA fantasy three star series starters right now. Not that three stars are bad, as we forever have to remind ourselves..

"Alfie says your trade is thieving goods, but you seem just as adept at thieving hearts."
"Was that as embarrassing to say as it was to hear?"

So much of this was so good! It's an #ownvoices fantasy set in a Latinx-inspired world, with a very interesting magic system, a face-changing thief, a prince in mourning and not dealing well wi
Giselle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
A fun read! A world very well developed, full of magic, darkness, and mystery. It's also unique and well thought-out. Action from start to finish with flawed characters who are an unlikely pair that end up being the perfect match. Full review to come.
Sea Reads
DNF at 35%.

Over-the-top similarities to A Darker Shade of Magic with a writing style I could not get into (loads of awkward and poorly placed info-dumping, telling instead of showing, etc.), and a Celaena Sardothien style female MC who swears all the time and that's how you're supposed to know that she's fierce. If I had a dollar for every time Finn's narration included "She'd be damned if..." in the first 35% of the book, it would probably be enough to buy the hardcover edition.

Huge pacing prob
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
1/10/19
So looks like the book title got changed into the series title =\

On another note, cover reveal please!
---
7/6/18
We have a release date! Woo!
---
Latin-American setting and a face-changing thief? Yup, I am in!
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!).

DNF at 50% (and hence I will not rate it).

In a world ruled by different kinds of magic, Alfie is a Prince, Finn is a Thief and due to a dangerous card game, they end up meeting. Alfie knows privilege and abundance, Finn knows poverty and hunger, but although they're from different worlds, they both know pain, struggle, and loss.
Nocturna is a Latinx inspired Fantasy. I was so excited to be able to read it
Amanda
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow I am really impressed. I am so glad that I didn't let this book slip past my radar because I hated the cover. I loved the magic system and all the heists.

Full review to come!!
Nick
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I gave Nocturna by Maya Motayne 4 Stars. If you want to know why, read on:

This book had such good foundations and the synopsis intrigued me wildly.
I read this book as part of a bookclub and loved it so very much.

I loved the characters Finn and Alfie.
Alfie was the stereotypical too-good to be true kinda character. He was infuriating at times but he gave our next character good contrast.
While Finn was one my favourite characters in any book, ever. She was funny and witty, she was ruthless. I lo
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Nocturna by Maya Motayne is a novel I had been highly anticipating since I first heard of its release, and I am happy to say it lived up to my expectations. I love the idea of a prince and a thief who steals faces so unique, and the main characters are well-developed. I also enjoyed the execution of the magic system and the originality of each person’s abilities. Nocturna is a book that is entertaining and compelling, and I would recommend it to fans of the fantasy
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Nocturna
Series: A Forgery of Magic #1
Author: Maya Motayne
Release date: May 7, 2019
Genre: YA fantasy

There were several things that attracted me to trying out this book: It's the first in a new series, the Latinx inspired worldbuilding, the face changing thief, and a potentially complex magic system. This was before I even saw the gloriousness of that mosaic cover. How stunning is that? Not only is it beautiful to look at, it's a perfect representation of San Cristobal's palace. I was very
Danielle
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nocturna is by far, BY FAR, the worst book I have read this year. Granted, it's only March, but even if another book displaces this as my most despised of 2019, it will remain amongst the top three at the very least.

Basically, this book is just a Latinx , poorly written copy of the far superior A Darker Shade of Magic. WARNING: Spoilers ahead for both books, so beware!

Seriously, Finn is basically Lila Bard, Alfehr is a whiny amalgamation of Kell and Rhy, and Alfehr uses 'magic doors' to get t
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Nocturna is author Maya Motayne's debut novel. It is the first in what the publisher is claiming will be a fantasy trilogy. Goodreads has this listed as part of the A Forgery of Magic trilogy, but the publisher's mailer states the trilogy is called Nocturna. I'll go with the publisher. This story features two prominent characters in Prince Alfehr (Alfie) Reyes, and Finn Voy, a thief who is able to shift her fact to become anyone
J. Taylor
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Romance-2.5 I don't ship it, don't hate it, it's fine. Would have loved more focus on family relationships since there was barely any of that.

Characters- 3 I like them all but they're not stand out characters to me that I love. There was just something missing.

World Building-2 A lot is left out, like we're told the history, the magic system and about the goings on of the city it's set in. That's it. What are these other kingdoms, their cultures, what is this kingdom's culture behind the way th
Samidha Kalia
*Note: A copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. I would like to thank Harper Collins Canada for the book. This is an advanced reader's copy and quotes are subject to change.*

🌟🌟🌟🌟
Wow, this was one epic ride. It has been a long time since I have been so immersed in a story. Nocturna hooked me right from the start – its lyrical prose, well constructed world, loveable characters, and its themes of social issues and justice. I loved every minute of it.

My biggest beef with YA

beth ✨
2.5

I enjoyed the writing and the author is very talented but the story just wasn’t for me. I didn’t care for the characters or the plot and skimmed most of the book, especially towards the end. I think this will be a favourite for some people but that sadly isn’t me.
Alexandra
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

A Latinx inspired world, Spanish words which I could understand (after learning said-Spanish) and characters that made me love them and root for them, despite the wrong choices, the fear and that creepy evil power. The system of magic was interesting and the history behind the creation of the kingdom reminded me of the British colonization. Lovely plot and it never let me down.
Thalia
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredible debut full of awesome characters, adventure, and incredible world-building. It's also an important and engaging addition to the YA fantasy genre because of the way Motayne uses the genre itself and its tropes to explore intense but necessary themes like a country post-colonialism, complicated family relationships, and the connection between societal inequality and access to education.

I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this book and I am so excited for it to ma
Lisa
Jan 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, arc
Stopped at about 35 percent in. The set up for the story is great, although it definitely took all of that 35 percent to actually get kicked off.

However, at the crucial moments of action, the main motivations of two characters seemed to depart from what was previously established. Both seem to make quick snap decisions that didn't seem to align with decisions they'd already made and their stated motivations. It just totally threw me, and I continued to lose interest from there.

The whole purpos
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Incendiary
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The King's Questioner
  • Untitled
  • The Midnight Lie
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
Maya Motayne decided to be a writer when she was four years old and hasn’t stopped writing since. She lives in New York City where she pursues her passions of petting as many dogs as possible and buying purses based on whether or not they can fit a big book in them. Nocturna is her first novel.

A Forgery of Magic (3 books)
  • Oculta (A Forgery of Magic #2)
  • Untitled (A Forgery of Magic #3)
“Who you are when you’re angry is still you. It doesn’t have to be all of you, but it’s a piece of you all the same. If you deny that, you might as well deny your whole maldito self and be done with it” 1 likes
“People like me, we’re ants, and rulers are just a big foot looming over us ready to squish us into the dirt. Doesn’t matter whose body the foot is attached to, the purpose is still the same.” 1 likes