Start by marking “Wolf: The Journey Home” as Want to Read:
Wolf: The Journey Home

Wolf: The Journey Home

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In this fictionalized account of real events, a female wolf named Marta, along with her young family, sets out on an epic journey to return to their home hunting grounds in Montana after they are mistakenly relocated by a group of naturalists. Told believably from Marta’s point of view, the story takes the reader deep into a wolf's world, as Marta's determination to prot
Published December 27th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (first published January 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf, please sign up.

James Addison because there is to much real life in it :(

Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers
This book really made me think about how humans are so cruel and nonunderstanding. It made me really sad and not want to be a person, but a wolf.
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love wolves and was looking for some inspiration for a story I am writing myself that involves wolves and I cam across this book. The writing style is really beautiful and it reveals a lot about wolf behaviour. It is based on a true story and this is described in more detail in the epilogue. Wolves are mistunderstood in my opinion and I feel this books shows them as the compassionate creatures that they really are. I really hate people who hunt for pleasure or sport, humans cause so much damag ...more
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
this was different than anything I've really read before. It is about a family of wolves told from the wolves perspective. It opened my eyes! It made me relize even when us, humans are trying to help that it negativly impacts the wolves. It made me sad to know Marta abandoned her cubs and that silvertooth was let back into the wild without his injury being resoved. This book should be read in school. I think it would be wise to make an impact on the younger generation to instill compasion and fo ...more
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
a fictionalized account based on a true story about a pack wolves trying to survive after being relocated. It's a unique and slow paced novel...if you're looking for a Marley and Me read alike this isn't it. It has a much more pointed message,and lacks the humor of Grogran's best seller, but its an enjoyable (and educational) read nonetheless. It would be a good book to give to students learning about conservation and the environment.
A very well written book though not the happiest of stories. It reflects many of the issues facing wolves and their relationships with humans. Marta is the main wolf and her trials and tribulations are heart-breakingly described. If you are an animal lover, enjoy a beautifully written book and have an affinity for wolves, do try this book. It is one of the best of its type I have ever read.
Cheryl Prentiss
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be very depressing.
K Ann
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. Marta becomes very real... outstanding read.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent little novel that follows a pack of wolves in an adventurous style that readers of all ages can enjoy. I really liked this book but it does drag on slightly at times.
Annalise Penrose
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Marta and her pups must find a way of survival, after her mate (Calef) was killed by a human. she is not totally alone because she has Old Tooth, an elderly wolf, to help her raise her pups. Things don't go as planned and the book takes a very sad turn, but as before Marta had to push on and find a new way to live. Overall this book was a great read and I strongly recommend this book to anyone who thinks they might like it or not.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-finished
I thought I'd really like this book. I love wolves so this should be a perfect fit for me. I think maybe a lot of the problem was the timing. When I started this book, I had recently finished Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat and loved it! The writing here just wasn't quite as captivating so I didn't make it very far.
Lynn B.
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
The story of she wolf Marta: Alpha female of her pack. After the death of her mare, however, life becomes tough. With a litter of pups and a toothless elder as only remains of her pack, Marta is the only one than can hunt. Will she be able to sustain her family?

Overall just an okay book.
If you like wolves or are interested in how wolf management works or whatnot this might be for you. I must say I went in expecting it to be a mostly fictional book with talking animals like "The Wolf Chronicles"
Jennifer Priester
This book was really good, if a little sad, and is the story of a mother wolf and her pups after being relocated. Once moved begin to try to get back home to where they came from. This book was based off of the lives of real wolves that were being studied and because of this the wolves in the book are normal wolves. This is a very good read for anyone who loves animals, especially wolves and want to read a more natural book. Unlike many documentary's, the story is told in a very interesting way. ...more
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas-2011
Stephanie A.
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, wildlife
There is nothing I love quite like old wildlife novels, which had an especially rich heyday from the 1940s-1960s and have since faded into something comparatively rare. While this book is much newer, it captures every inch of the tone of those old books, with only the radio collars and other wildlife-biologist interventions to update its time period a bit. Everything is about the wolves and their world and nothing hurts. Well, except for the harshness of the story itself, but as a helpful author ...more
julie morse
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.

I am a wolf lover and reading this book was very hard for me. At first I was sad but then I became enraged to think how someone could write a book this badly and must really not want wolves around. Very happy I was wrong. She loves them as much as I do and unfortunately this is a sad reminder on how our society views them. This book is up there with Romeo and The Wolf.
Nitsa Chingo
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is a good book i have read this book about 3 times alreay and it about a wolf who mate dies and the alpha female wolf whent to find her mate and she had puppies and her brotter was watching the pups wile the alpha female whent to fins her mate then she found her mate dead and i would remend this book to any one who loves anmales n i would remend that teens should read this book because it is a very alsom book
Shannon O'Donnell
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the touching, sometimes heart-wrenching, story of a real-life group of wolves. Although written as fiction, it is fully based on real events. We have class sets of this novel at my school and it never fails to be a hit. It's a winner with MG and YA readers.

In 2006 it was nominated as a Teens' Top Ten book and has flown under the radar since then. This is one of those books that has failed to receive the acclaim it deserves.
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book if you're looking for a Disney story. You won't find it here. The world is a rough place for a wolf and this "true" story doesn't soften up the rough spots. It's a story told along the lines of the Richard Adams books (Watership Down, Plague Dogs, etc.), telling the story from the animal's perspective. But there's less effort to make the wolves human-like than there is in Richard Adams books.

A good read.
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Based on true facts about a pack of wolves, this is a accurate and often depressing read about the problems that a pack of wolves has to deal with in order to survive. I found it a sad read even if one keeps in mind that this is not a sugar-coated Disney-esque telling of the lives of such honorable animals as wolves.
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story of wolf, I loved the accounting of it and how it was played out.. But it was the most tragic book iv ever read. There where points where I wanted to throw the book against the wall it was so sad.
Jennifer Don
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful, and heart wrenching tale of what wolves must endure to survive.
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Something everyone should read.
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing insight to a wolf's life.
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite tales of all time, just love, love LOVE it.
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Amazing book based on a true story.
Claudia Ambrose
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cried my heart out while reading this book. Wonderfully written and would highly recommend!
Sandy Brehl
I read this as background research and found a remarkably well-told story of the life of a wolf, based on authentic data and observations yet utterly compelling.
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Child of the Wolves
  • The Octopus Scientists: Exploring the Mind of a Mollusk
  • The Race to Save the Lord God Bird
  • The Buffalo Are Back
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • Cormac
  • Midnight's Sun
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Free to a Good Home
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • The Dog with Golden Eyes
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Unlikely Heroes: 37 Inspiring Stories of Courage and Heart from the Animal Kingdom
  • The Mystery of Darwin's Frog
  • Raven Quest
  • The Animal Book
  • An Island Grows
  • Seekers at the Wulfrock (The Wolves of Time, #2)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99