Start by marking “The Skeptical Vegan: My Journey from Notorious Meat Eater to Tofu-Munching Vegan—A Survival Guide” as Want to Read:

Growing up in an all-women household and coddled endlessly by his Italian mother and grandmother, Eric Lindstrom was nourished to obesity on meaty sauces, fried eggs, and butter-laden cookies. After spending the first half of his life as an adamant omnivore, Lindstrom went 100% vegan. Reluctantly. Overnight. From burgers to beets, from pork to parsnips.

It’s time for a
Published July 25th 2017 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Skeptical Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skeptical Vegan

Start your review of The Skeptical Vegan: My Journey from Notorious Meat Eater to Tofu-Munching Vegan—A Survival Guide
Daria Zeoli
It was a pleasure to read this memoir! Vegans are a minority, but our stories are varied, and the author's path from meat-eater to vegan is entertaining, amusing, and informative.

Full review here: https://www.chicvegan.com/the-skeptic...

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy!
Patti
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, vegan-stuff
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet"- Albert Einstein

I've been through a slew of Vegan reads. The title says it all....if you are skeptical of the lifestyle and are curious about Veganism through humor, this is your book. It provides the facts in a less text-booky way. Besides several that I'm aware of, Vegan memoirs seem to be dominated by women. This is a great male take, especially coming from
Elizabeth A
I'm the kind of person who reads up on places I go and things I want to learn more about, and I've done so on countess subjects. I read and watched lots of nonfiction book and documentaries on the topic before I "turned" vegan, and was on the lookout for a memoir that would also make me laugh, because there is lots to laugh about here people.

This one started out great, and I thought I had found just what I needed. The author decides to take a bet and like me went vegan overnight. The tone
Chris
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that is full of valuable information and will make you laugh out loud throughout, this is the book for you. The author never claims his journey was easy but proves that anyone is capable of giving up animal products and loving it.

The recipes at the end are tried-and-true and an excellent addition to seasoned vegans', new vegans', or even omnivores' collections!

While many vegans will be able to relate to the author's journey, this book would also make an excellent
Sharon
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the overall sentiment of this book however, Eric’s style is just not for my taste. I also feel that a huge emphasis is placed on vegan junkfood which will not make anyone healthy, although it will be kinder to the earth and the animals that are not being sacrificed. Perhaps his style of writing will reach a specific audience.
Jill
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really enjoyed it. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was when he said that he won't celebrate the holidays with his family any longer because they will not have Vegan Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I don't think you should force your lifestyle, dietary beliefs on others and his children are missing out on years of memories with their grandparents. Bring your own vegan dishes. How hard is that?
Shoaib Ahmed
this was a very exciting book .i would recommend it to my class.
Cheri
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
The book gave me some laughs...until....the author stated that he no longer celebrates holidays with his mom. I have a hard time understanding that. But then again, I've been married for 30 years to an omnivore and have raised 4 children. I don't necessarily agree with how many in my family choose to eat, but rather than eschew their company I cook up my dishes and introduce them to the family. I have found that they are more open to eating a plant based meal than if I just decide I won't share ...more
Cynthia Nicola
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have such mixed feelings about this book. It was a super interesting book and I definitely learned quite a bit however the author is so dismissive of any other point of view that I began to dislike him. He openly mocks those who talk about "humanely" eating/slaughtering animals. That being said, the world will never change without people who are as passionate as Lindstrom. Recommended read!
Gina
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this light, entertaining story about the author's path to veganism.
Christi
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Hilarious, interesting and a bit snarky. I really enjoyed reading about his journey.
Kajah
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really three point five stars. Overall I found myself reading to completion and appreciated that the author keeps it fun and compelling. Sometimes the constant dad joke stuff was too much; it became overwhelming at times. It also feels like he buys into certain claims without really giving specific reasons why, but nonetheless his story is an interesting one, and his transformation is one I have gone through myself so I appreciated his candor.
Kelly Smith
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really was excited about this book. I was hoping to read a story about the struggles that one goes through while becoming a vegan. I was hoping to hear a down to earth message about what it takes to make this transition. This was not that book.
First off, this author is so full of condescension and contradictions, I actually flipped back to previous pages to make sure that he had just said the opposite of what he said a chapter before. I didn't count how many times he told the reader he did
Matthew
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction, food
Good personal account of going vegan on a bet, liberally peppered with clever turns of phrase and jokes (groan-worthy to LOL quality.) It feels a little bit like a collection of essays or blog posts all hitting similar beats toward the end. There's some stuff that a lot of vegan books get into that I'm not comfortable with like making promises about things, especially health benefits that should fall into the "Results may vary" category in my experience (5+ years vegan.) Overall, it's a good ...more
Sandra
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book and it gives you some grist for thought. However, he really needed some more actual citations or data to back up his claims and he's not quite as funny as he seems to think he is. Also, there are recipes but I didn't bother reading or making those. Overall, worth reading if you're considering changing over to veg/vegan.
K.N.
I had the pleasure of meeting Eric at one of his book signings, and I really just want to hang out with the guy and follow him to these potlucks and dinners he talks about. He’s very funny, and while the book got a little repetitive by the end, I still enjoyed it. I’ll definitely have to try out a few of his recipes; I am the opposite of a meaty vegan, so it’ll be a change for me.
April
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore this book. This book contains humour and excellent knowledge. I found myself laughing, and at times frustrated right along with the author. This is a must read for anyone who is a.) wondering what vegan really means. b) The vegetarian who is looking to make that move, but wondering how c.) I need recipes and I love books about vegans. A absolute must read.
Nikki
Disclosure: ARC received from Edelweiss & publisher in exchange for an honest review. (They may regret this.) Any and all quotes were taken from an advanced edition subject to change in the final edition.
Lauren Gilliland
Loved this book. Hilarious and full of insight. Reads super easy and you won't want to put it down.
Sandra
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great read if you’re vegetarian, vegan or thinking about it!
Karen Mayes
Good rational book! Down to earth explanation on the ethical meaning of veganism, which I appreciate.
Diane
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a vegan, I wanted to love this book. It was occasionally funny, but the derision of non vegans just built until it was intolerable. I agree with veganism! I’m on board! I don’t feel like making fun of everyone who hasn’t come around. With the saturation of marketing to the contrary, it’s difficult to come to terms with being wrong about animals as food. And though he insisted everyone needs to be vegan, he did not address how he thought those in poverty should accomplish this or those in the ...more
Heather
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great easy read

Loved this book. As a newly vegan bud, it gave me needed direction and tips. Well written and a joy to read
Rebecca
A fairly consistent vegan gospel. I can see where he’s coming from and how he got there.
Roxanne
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again
Very informative. The author does a great job of making a plant-based diet realistic and relatable for those of us who still eat meat.
Dezeray
A little preachy, which I suppose is to be expected. But it had some excellent starting points and encouragement for switching to a plant based diet
Gosia
Dec 01, 2019
Kelsey
Oct 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Main Street Vegan: Everything You Need to Know to Eat Healthfully and Live Compassionately in the Real World
  • Eating Animals
  • Mind if I Order the Cheeseburger?: And Other Questions People Ask Vegans
  • Vystopia. The Anguish of Being Vegan in a Non vegan World
  • The Trauma of Everyday Life
  • The Freedom Writers Diary
  • Words and Your Heart
  • The James Thurber Audio Collection: Fables and Selected Stories by James Thurber
  • The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium
  • The Official Bright Line Eating Cookbook: Weight Loss Made Simple
  • 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life
  • Interrupting Silence: God's Command to Speak Out
  • Finding Gobi: The True Story of One Little Dog's Big Journey
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • Hummingbird
  • The Elephant in the Room: One Fat Man's Quest to Get Smaller in a Growing America