Start by marking “Merle the High Flying Squirrel” as Want to Read:
Merle the High Flying Squirrel

Merle the High Flying Squirrel

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Unhappy about the noise and clutter of the city, a squirrel travels west to find peace and quiet in the forest of giant trees he has heard about.
Published October 24th 1983 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Merle the High Flying Squirrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merle the High Flying Squirrel

Lauren
Nov 30, 2016 added it
This is a very cute book about a squirrel that is trying to find a home that he loves. He grabs a hold of a kite so that he can get to his new home quicker, but little did he know that he would be taken through a storm and end up on the other side of the country. In the end, he found the home of his dreams.
Pre-K- 3rd grades
All children would benefit and enjoy this book as entertainment.
This would be a good book for small group or whole class use.
I am unsure of a similar book to this one.
There is
Joe
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I love this book. So does my grandson, so it's appealing to a 60-year age span. From the grandson's 5-year-old perspective, it's about a squirrel's escape from a dirty city, a high-flying adventure clinging to a kite, and a conclusion finding a home high in a redwood forest. From this grandpa's 65-year-old perspective, it's about Bill Peet's trademark themes of nasty urban environments, animal pluck and courage, awesome natural landscapes and a dose of good luck. Peet's cities make me thi ...more
Loyal
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun Bill Peet story. Merle has always been afraid. He lives in the city, in a little park in his tree. He's scared of the people, and the cars, and scared of leaving his tree. But he loves hearing about the adventures and travels of the men on the bench. When he hears one day of the big trees in the West, some as big and tall as a skyscraper, Merle dreams of seeing them. He sets out West, but by nightfall finds that it may not be as easy as expected, and decides to turn back. Then, carri ...more
Stephanie A.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Squirrels: they're literally everywhere you look, but how often does a wild one get to star in his own story? Like Fly, Homer, Fly, it's another story about escaping the city for the peace and quiet of more open spaces. But this one comes with the priceless imagery of Merle somehow clinging to an obliviously smiling kite for miles on end. Whenever he scolds/pleads in vain for the kite to stop and come down, I always picture angry squirrel chattering and it makes me laugh. Have I mentioned my gen ...more
Heather
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. At first it reminded me of Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel) by Mélanie Watt but then as I kept reading it was just slightly similar and not a dupe. A reverse dupe obviously since this book came first. But its not. Anyway, a long book, but my son and I thought it had a fun ending.
Tim
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-bill-peet
Merle's entire life has been confined to a city park, until he hears an old man talking about the western redwoods. He then embarks on a quest to find these redwoods and discovers that the feeling of smallness you get in an ancient forest is a better feeling than the smallness you experience in a big city.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Merle is a bit of a coward, yet he longs to see the world. One day he hears some men talking about the great, tall trees out west and he sums up his courage to leave his safe park and go see them himself. Misadventure befalls him and he doesn't think he can make it, but a kite helps him along his way.

Nice illustrations.
Carmen
Feb 01, 2010 added it
A really cute story about an adventurous squirrel with fun illustrations. My kids loved it.
Ben
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought a Squirrel and a Kite = High Flying Adventure.? I did. and i wasn't disappointed.
Terryann Saint
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Raji
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k2-books
Bill Peet is delightful.
Rachel
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Classic Bill Peet with a fun character and adventure.
Ronda Sweetenberg-Hale
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i love this book!! teaches to never give up!!
Brendan Howard
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-zahara
Every Peet tale resonates with empathy, sentiment, surprise and perseverance. Unequaled author.
Robin
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Slow beginning but a "Curious George"-type development in the story helps to increase the interest level greatly.
Karol
  • Pagoo
  • For the Love of Autumn
  • The Bravest Knight
  • Jubal's Wish
  • The Magic of the Unicorn (Choose Your Own Adventure, #51)
  • Wynken, Blynken,  Nod
  • The Day the Babies Crawled Away
  • The Haunted Hamburger and Other Ghostly Stories
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • The Wizard, the Fairy, and the Magic Chicken
  • Smash Trash! (Disney/Pixar: WALL-E: Step into Reading Step 1)
  • Leo the Lop Tail Four
  • Harold's Circus
  • Jack and the Beanstalk
  • A Rose for Pinkerton
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft