Start by marking “Among the Lemon Trees” as Want to Read:
Among the Lemon Trees

Among the Lemon Trees

For fans of Victoria Hislop comes Among the Lemon Trees, the debut novel from Nadia Marks.

ebook
Published June 1st 2017 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Among the Lemon Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Lemon Trees

Start your review of Among the Lemon Trees
Zoe
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5+ Stars.

Heartwarming, intriguing and touching!

This story is predominantly set on a small Aegean island in the Mediterranean and is the story of Anna, a middle-aged woman who decides to accompany her father home to Greece after her husband’s infidelity and finds herself not only engaging in some deep introspection about her own life but also uncovering some family mysteries and secrets that have remained buried for decades.

The writing is light and fluid. The characters are multi-faceted,
Pattie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book although I must admit that I felt two of the family history story lines were a bit dramatic and unbelievable.
Amy
May 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 & a 1/2 stars:

I picked up Among the Lemon Trees thinking it would be a light summer contemporary read, foolishly judging off the cover and blurb. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the worst books I have read all year, filled with typos throughout the whole book and the 'story-within-a-story-within-a-story' thing not flowing well at all. I found the writing very childish and simplistic, which led to me constantly forgetting the main character is above the age of 50 due to her very
SWZIE
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found ‘Among the Lemon Trees’ at my hotel library. I was attracted by its cover; a picture of an alluring, azure blue, Aegean Sea, and lemons hanging from trees – plus the synopsis seemed full of promise. I adore travelling and when I’m on holiday I have the propensity to be drawn to books, whatever their genre, that transports me to a foreign destination. The book sounded largely set in Greece and seemed to offer a frivolous holiday read. I knew, from the blurb, that family secrets were going ...more
Gemma Searle
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly amazing it transported me to an island in the Aegean and I wanted to stay there. It was full of love and heartbreak and hope. What a wonderful book
brenda young
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

This book is a great, easy summer read just sit back and enjoy. Anna is married to Max when he has a heart attack he tells her nearly a year later he is leaving her , she guess on a holiday with her Dad and so it begins . This book goes back and forth from present to past but you don't get lost , would recommend it .
Claire Thorpe
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely summer book to transport you to Greece! Annas' husband announces he has fallen in love with another woman so she decides to go to her birth place of Greece with her father and discovers some long lost family secrets . The book alternates between the present and the past. If you like Victoria Hislop you may enjoy this.
Christine Ann Gilson
Enchanting tale

I'm always excited to read stories set abroad,especially the Greek Islands,some of which I know well. It is the story of a woman coming to terms with the death of her mother and her husband's infidelity. There are plenty of surprises! It was good to hear again of the four Greek words for love. A very satisfactory book,loved it.
Lynrose
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really dreadful! I stopped after 78 pages because I couldn't stand it any longer! It's so cliched! On a positive I enjoyed learning a little about Greek island life. It might have been better to write something non-fictional.
Stephanie
Enjoyable, but predictable....but I love the authors descriptive prose of Greece & Italy...

Anna thought her marriage to Max would last forever. Having raised two happy children together, she looked forward to growing old with the man she loved. But when a revelation from her husband just before their wedding anniversary shakes her entire world, she's left uncertain of what the future holds.

She takes up the offer from her widowed father to spend the summer on the small Aegean island of his
Shiva Patel
Katie Canavan
If you’re a fan of chicklit, stories about women, marriage and family bonds, I’d recommend this. The writing is good, descriptions are pretty and Anna is a likeable character, however I’m just not a fan of the genre. This isn’t a bad novel at all, but it’s just not my thing.

If you’re looking for a quick and simple, and happy read, go for this. However if you, like I, like to think about what you’re reading and have a story that resonates, steer clear.

This was a nice and simple, and well written
Wendy Jensen
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Anna has been told by her husband that he has been having an affair and is not sure if he loves her. She goes to Greece with her father for the summer to try to work this all out while her children are off on their own summer activities. She learns a lot of family history from her father that she had never had a clue about. Does she want to resume the marriage with her husband that has betrayed her?

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Denis Tairov
I bought it thinking it was somehow more focused on Greek culture.
Actually it is a light novel about love.
The main character is a 50something yo who acts like a 21 girl who has been left by his boyfriend.
The whole family story is way too dramatic.
At the end of the day it's still enjoyable in a hot summer day.

It sure made me feel mature at least in comparison to Anna.
Joanne
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is is a wonderful story about life on a Greek island in the early 20th century.
How life was, customs, traditions & the love between 2 cousins.
Later in the story it’s about life in Naples during WW2 & different love.
Its a story of hope,survival and great love.
Like any other good book, I didn’t want it to end !
Read it & enjoy.
Helen Carolan
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a dreadful book this was. Glaring continuity errors from the first page. Badly written. When Anna's husband has a mid-life crisis after suffering a heart attack,Anna returns to Crete with her father. Here she discovers secrets about her family that have remained hidden for many years.Not going to be one of my books of the year.
Janice Thompson
It was ok. Nice easy listen. (Audible) but there was a lot of switching, it made you concentrate more. Nadia didnt go into too much detail about characters that was the leading man and woman which i felt it needed. Also a happy ending. Your left bereft of what is going to happen next?? ....
Loved the accent of the narrator though.
Mackenzie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much more than I expected it to be and I mean that in the best way possible. Given the cover and the description provided, you'd assume that this is just a lighthearted read, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Although there is a feel-good ending, this book explores many heavy hearted themes including but not limited to: parental abandonment, affairs, death of loved ones, poverty, and sexual assault. There wasn't really any indication that these themes would be so ...more
Cath Hughes
This book appealed to me because of the promise of sunshine during December. Touched on interesting topics about the war and how the Germans affected Greece.
Excellent back story, but I especially enjoyed the current day story.
Abby
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, school
Marcia
3 - I don't generally go for historical fiction (this book flipped back to the Second World War) but I enjoyed reading about the characters and I was interested enough to find out what happened to them. Also, the end was satisfying which is a good thing for me. ...more
Stacey Williams
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off slow but once I got into it I couldn’t put it down. The family secrets were definitely shocking and do seem a little unrealistic but that did not change my enjoyment of this novel.
Tina Arsenault
Lot of repetition in the story which isn't necessary.
Charlie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable, slushy, awful (book club reading).
Joy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love Greece you'll love this story. Easy to read and great for
the beach.
MRS CHRISTINE  SITTON
Very thoughtful

So sad and positive at the same time. A history lesson of what people went through and how they got through it. A brilliant story
Louisa
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too mills and boon cheesy for my taste but loved the descriptions of the Greek islands and it was an easy read.
Gayle Parker
A sweet light read
Valentina Desiante
very nice story, well written! it captures you from the very beginning. it looks like there are two stories and two complete different rithms, but it well developed and structures!
Sheri
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the back and forth between present day and a reflection of life for the main characters parents. I highly recommend this book.

• Beneath a Burning Sky