Start by marking “Capyboppy” as Want to Read:
Capyboppy

Capyboppy

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,827 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The creator of whimsical fantasies featuring a bevy of lifelike and lovable creatures, Bill Peet consistently combined excellent storytelling with enduring illustrations, becoming one of the most popular picture book creators of our time. Born in Grandview, Inidana, Bill Peet nurtured his childhood drawing talent and was awarded a scholarship to the John Herron Art Institu ...more
Published April 29th 1985 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Capyboppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capyboppy

Melki
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this true story of the Peet family's attempt to welcome a capybara into their home, garage, yard. Peet's artwork is winsome and engaging. I particularly liked the drawing of Capy lying on the couch with his head on Mrs. Peet's lap, and the one of him being toweled off after a shower; he's got a big, goofy grin on his snout.

description

description

The ending is rather bittersweet, but it does serve as a reminder that wild animals DO NOT make good pets.
Melanie
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Although the ending is very sad, especially if you know Capyboppy's ultimate fate, the book is very nicely drawn and the story is touching. Plus it is the only book currently available that features a capybara and that is worth a lot.
Stephanie A.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Both my parents swear they read this to me, but while I remember every other Bill Peet book in near perfect detail, I had no recollection of either the story or illustrations in this when I tracked it down this year. It blew me away.

Capyboppy is different from all his books not only in the way the illustrations are black and white, but in the whole tone of the story. It is essentially a nonfiction recounting, drawn from his own life, and featuring a pet rather than wild animals. But what a pet!
Austin W
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CapyBoppy
Karen
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
This book brings back such good memories. We first read it when Ellie was 2 and Jake was 4 curled up on the couch in our old house. The kids didn't remember it too much but reading it again they really liked it. Funny.....Ellie sure did turn out to be like Bill, coincidence?....krb 7/1/17
Peacegal
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Capyboppy is a sweet little children's book filled with Peet's whimsical artwork. The book relates the true story of one family's experience with trying to turn a capybara, a giant South American rodent, into a house pet.

This being a book published in the 1960s, it reflects the values of its time. Society was moving toward recognizing wildlife as something other than a roiling mass of expendable beasts--yet it still had a way to go. Thus there were numerous stories about individual animals becom
Keith Bowden
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Hardcover here, too. Absolutely my FAVORITE children's book. Bill Peet was at his best with this one. If I had kids of my own, I could justify making sure I got every book Bill Peet ever did. (Actually, that's a lie. I might do it anyway, even if Antonio never develops an affection for the stories. I hope he does, though.) I love Bill's art - I particularly remember still checking this out of the library in 4th grade - ahem - just because it was my favorite. And that was before I developed my de ...more
Dark Luna Rose
Jan 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-kids-books
After great anticipation from my children about reading this book I was left extreemly disappointed at the animal cruelty inside.I wouldnt recommend it for children.I would never recommend a book where an animal gets kicked and left to suffer like Capy did for children. Ever. This book actually teaches violence as an answer, which is not what children need.There is enough violence in our world without making it seem normal and OK.
Kristyn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
I read this to my five-year-old son. It's not action-packed but the story is somehow compelling regardless. The illustrations are excellent. This book is a great choice for kids who can pay attention to a long picture book but not quite a chapter book without pictures.

Read-aloud, age five.
Shannon
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Totally love this book. Definitely one of my favorite children's books. It makes me smile, it makes me laugh, it makes me cry. It also made me fall in love with the world's largest rodent.
Stacy
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Do you even have to ask?
Corbinw
Great story
Amy Souza
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very interesting true story of Bill Peet's family and an adventure with an ill conceived pet. They definitely were the right family to experience all of this and it did make me hope that Bill Peet's son ended up as a scientist or a teacher. This is a great non fiction story for middle readers (2nd-4th grade).
Hannah
Absolutely adored this little memoir of the misadventures of one of their zoologist son's pets back in the 60's. ❤
Beth Ann
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Beth Ann by: Melanie Typaldos
As a fan of Bill Peet for many years (I read How Drufus the Dragon Lost His Head and Cowardly Clyde to my students at work often!) I was seriously SHOCKED that I did not know he had owned a Capybara as it is my second favorite animal! I didn't even know about Capyboppy until I read about it on a YouTube vid of my favorite Capy, Caplin Rous of http://gianthamster.com/ !

As a fellow exotic pet parent I must say that it really was a bit hard for me to read at the end, but it happens... not everyone
Luann
As a big Bill Peet fan, I've always wanted to read Capyboppy but never had access to a copy. I was excited to find it on the shelf in my new library. This is more like Bill Peet: An Autobiography than any of this other books. It tells the true story of his family's time having a capybara for a pet. The illustrations, of course, are awesome. I'm glad I finally got a chance to actually read this! You can see pictures of Capyboppy and read the end of his story, which isn't in the book, on Bill Peet ...more
Trace
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We read this one aloud this evening as part of my son's homeschooling curriculum. I was excited because I remembered this one from my own childhood and I had high hopes that my son would love it as much as I did. I loved Bill Peet books as a child.

Luke adored it. He even said that there was something about it that reminded him about the book Rascal (Sterling North) that is one of his favorites.

Cute story, adorable illustrations! Luke especially loved the drawing of Bill's bedroom which was cha
ABC
Jan 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: younger-kids
King Ævil
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2007
One of my favorite books from childhood, and still one of my very favorite children's books. Bill Peet, Disney artist and author & illustrator of books for children, tells the true story of his son's unusual pet. Bill Jr., a budding naturalist, brings home a baby capybara (a large South American rodent) early one summer. Cappy quickly adjusts to life in the 'burbs, but as he grows into adulthood the family eventually learns that a suburban residence is not the ideal environment for a seventy ...more
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves guinea pigs, so when she saw the cover of this book, she squealed, "It's a giant guinea pig!" So of course, we had to read it. As my daughter struggles with dyslexia, I got to read it with her. We have read most of Bill Peet's other books and, like all of them, we enjoyed this greatly. The humor was friendly to kids and adults, My daughter laughed as she compared Capybobby's actions to her own pets and so did I. Even if you don't like small animals, this book is a great read.
Dolly
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently discovered Bill Peet's books and we have really enjoyed reading them together. We saw this story and thought it looked interesting. We didn't realize that it was a true story about his family and their unusual pet. The narrative is a bit longer than his other stories, but it is very sentimental and entertaining and his illustrations, though mostly in black and white, are terrific. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Cathryn Wellner
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A sweet video about capybaras and the suggestion from a friend sent me to this Bill Peet book about a boy who chooses a capybara as a pet. The choice proves far more challenging than he expects, but the family tries mightily to make it work. The story is a poignant, sweet reminder that wild creatures - or any creatures, for that matter - have their own lives and expectations. Those may be different from what we dream for them. A good book to read to children begging for exotic pets.
Robin
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of Peet's best. The story of a capybara, adopted by his animal-loving son, that joins the Peet home and is the source of fun for a while. But like many wild animals, keeping it as a pet becomes impossible and a new home must be found.

Peet's most realistic illustrations by far, and some of his best. This shoots to the top of my "Peet Favorites" list.
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my kids' all time favorite books! They read it again and again! The artwork is especially enchanting. It's fun to see where Bill Peet got his ideas for the wumps in the Wump World. My kids were thrilled to see a real Capabara in person this summer at a giant petting zoo.
Alexandra
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
I don't get it. It was a really long story about a guy who wanted a weird pet and left his family to take care of it. I just didn't get it. Maybe someone will have to explain why this story is good. My children did not like it either. Hmm...
Judy
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf-unsorted-kids
I read this to my 2.5 year old nephew and he listened avidly to every word. I wouldn't have picked this book, but his parents insisted that he loved it. They were right. We went on the internet to listen to the capyboppy "tweet" and to see more pictures of this large rodent.
Carla Miller
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my two youngest boys last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't think I would want one of these for a pet much less in my house but it did give me a new appreciation for the world's largest rodent. Trip to the zoo tomorrow and just might see these there!
Alexi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the books I checked out over and over again in elementary school.
Maddy
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Cappyboppy!
Julia Forrester
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, homeschooling
This is a fun book based on a true story. My kids loved it.
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Five True Dog Stories (Little Apple)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Twenty and Ten
  • Then and Now
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose: A Treasury of More Than 300 Classic Nursery Rhymes
  • Greg's Microscope
  • A Big Ball of String
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • Red Sails to Capri
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft