Start by marking “There Is No Dragon In This Story” as Want to Read:
There Is No Dragon In This Story

There Is No Dragon In This Story

Poor old dragon. Nobody wants him in their story. Not Goldilocks, not Hansel and Gretel - no one. But Dragon will not give up! He shall continue on his course of finding someone who wants him in their story. ANYONE. His boundless enthusiasm surely won't get him into any trouble. Surely ...

A glorious story about dragons, heroes and ice cream with sprinkles. From author Lou
Published July 13th 2017 by Bloomsbury (first published June 2017)

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Dragon In This Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Dragon In This Story

Start your review of There Is No Dragon In This Story
MissBecka
This is so darn cute!
The illustrations are wonderful and the dragon has a refreshing personality.
Loved it!
Karina
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spanish Edition--- I loved this book! Oh yeah, and the kids liked it too but enough about them! I loved it. Lol.

A dragon that wants to be in another fairy tale other than his own. He wants to be THE HERO of the story.

Hansel and Gretel, the 3 Little Pigs, The Gingerbread Man, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and The Giant all tell him "Get out of this story! There are no dragons in my story!" Which bums him out. Finally, there comes a point where he can be the hero but now he's scared....

This was h
Anniken Haga
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, mg, norwegian
I got a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Oh my dawg, this book!
It has everything I like.
Dragons. Nice drawings. Adventure. Action.
On top of that, it was just so cute!
I couldn't help but smile a small, sad smile almost throughout the whole thing!
Poor Dragon.

I also really liked the subtext in this book, and will recommend it to everyone with a kid, as well as for a few adults.
Moon
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun and touches on a lot of the usual fairytales.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poor dragon is sick of being the villain, he wants to be the hero, so he decides to find a new story to be in, one where he can be the hero for once.

A fun story with plenty of humour and many characters children will recognise from fairy tales.
Christina Reid
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant! Dragon decides he is tired of being the villain and he doesn't feel like capturing any princesses or being defeated by any knights. So, of he goes to search for another story to be in. The Gingerbread Man doesn't want him, Little Red Riding Hood doesn't want him - everyone keeps telling him that there is no dragon in their story.
Will he ever find a story where he can be the hero?
This would be a wonderful read-aloud for children aged 5+ who are already familiar with all the traditional
Cooper
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was funny and awesome so I read it to my family and they all loved it.
Rafaela
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tão tão tão fofo!!

EDIÇÃO PT:
Não Há Dragões Nesta História!
Autor: Lou Carter
Editora: Minutos de Leitura
ISBN: 9789727932085
新新 Xin-Xin
#雲端書庫 月底隨手借,有點翻玩童話故事的味道,但也就這樣吧
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Bloomsbury Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Dragon is sick of being the villain all the time and just wants to be the hero in the story - any story! After he exhausts all his options, an errant sneeze causes the residents of the fairytale kingdom to beg the dragon to join in the story and save the day!

What a fun romp, and with such a sympathetically drawn protagonist, too! Poor old dragon is always the villain and he's now fed up with having to fight
Hannah
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1000-books
We all want a change from the every day and expected. To branch out and try something new, to break our fated mold and challenge a long held trope or stereotype.

Well, this is exactly what Dragon tries to do. Sick of being slayed by the knight after trying to capture the princess, Dragon goes in search of a place in other stories - however he soon discovers that there's no place for him in Pinocchio, Goldilocks or many of the other traditional tales he knows.

But, when disaster strikes, and the gi
Katie Greenwood
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I promise I'm reading long fiction books as well as all these picture books! There Is No Dragon In This Story was another one that I used for my assignment and I'm so happy I chose it. It's a super cute little story about a dragon that wants to find which story he fits into. We go through the three little pigs, red riding hood, jack and the Beanstalk and more! It's such a clever way to introduce a child to other stories and get them excited to read.

I loved everything about this little picture bo
Indy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We might think that there is always a dragon in most of children's stories. However, it's surprising that there is no dragon in a lot of stories, such as Gingerbread Man, Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks, Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc.

Dragon was sad because of it, but it finally created a story in which he could be a hero in. A nice story that tells kids not to be disappointed when s/he couldn't find a right spot for himself/herself to shine, there is always
Helen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the playful intertextuality in this. The gingerbread man, Pinocchio, Goldilocks, Cinderella, the three pigs, the frog prince, Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the beanstalk, Peter and the wolf, the frog prince and the three billy goats gruff all make an appearance. I liked the absurdity of the ‘hero’ creating the problem in the first place, I liked that the dragon is holding the storybook as you read it, and I liked the false ending. Overall, it’s just a fun and playful book with lots to see ...more
Ana
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
One day, the local resident dragon decides to walk off his post.
He no longer wants to "capture any icky, frilly princesses".
Instead he wants to be the hero of his own story.

So he goes wondering, trying to find a place that he'll fit in.

But all the other stories already have heroes. No one needs him anywhere.

Until he meets a certain giant...

Fun alternative story about a very unusual dragon featuring a lot of childhood favorites like Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, love dragons. A dragon who is tired of the typical dragon story quits and decides to join another story. With everyone saying that their story has no dragon in it, where does he go? What happens will make you giggle and enjoy yourself. This is a great book to do for a storytime and a craft. SO MUCH FUN!!!!
Benjamin Smith
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dragon wants to be the hero, not the villain, and thus begins his journey into other fairy tales, but none of them want a dragon in their story. He accidentally disturbs one story, which leads to a catastrophe for all, can he be the hero they need?

Love this story, and the varying illustration types. A new favourite? Maybe.
Katie Armstrong
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book for KS1 children who are becoming more confident readers. The connections between a variety of popular fairy-tales opens up a window of opportunities for discussion about the authors depiction of the dragon's role in these stories.
Anna
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, French teachers, Parents and Caregivers
A wonderful, funny story for young readers! I bought this book to use as a Primary French teacher, and wow! Beautiful illustrations and a unique story. I recommend this book to any parent or teacher hoping to introduce a new French picture book :)
Nova
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This dragon is sick of being typecast as a villain and offers to be a hero in the fairy tales. Those characters don't want him in their fairy tale. This is an amusing read-aloud and great for links to fairy tales.
Tamara Zann
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Dragons, stories, traditional fairy tales, mixed up, twists and turns
monica
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infantil
Muy divertido
Bella
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Qué divertido! Es una historia en contraste de las historias para niños típicas.
Nella
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theme has been done before; great addition to fractured fairy tale stories
Alex
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-from-work
Un petit retour sur les contes de fées classiques, mignon!
Chris Milne
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think yo can make anulr story like that l hope you come first place by Ayla l
Alice Mundy
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good example of how to 'magpie' ideas - i.e. how to change current texts and make it your own.
Mikael Cerbing
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
En riktigt bra och enkel sagobok som 3.5 åringen var mycket glad i under en vecka eller så. Hoppas på att få læst den några gånger till innan den går tillbaka till biblioteket. Berættelsen ær en enkel twist på de gamla sagorna med den onda draken. Draken hær vill inte vara nån som stjæl prinsessor och slåss mot riddare, han vill vara hjælten i en saga. Så han går runt och frågar andra sagofigurer om han kan hjælpa dem, men ingen vill ha en drake i sin saga. Tror nog førfattaren tyckte om Shrek f ...more
Shane Harcombe
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maybe 4.5 stars. This is a fantastic take on traditional fairy tales and stories. Dragon is sick of being the villain in his story & just wants to be the hero - but no-one else will let him be in their story. What will poor Dragon do?

Little ones love pointing out all the references to stories they know, while older students could use this book as a launching pad into their own creative writing. How would a dragon improve your favourite fairy tale?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Koala Who Could
  • The Lion Inside
  • The Bear and the Piano
  • The Incredible Book Eating Boy
  • This Is Not A Bedtime Story
  • Again!
  • Little Red Reading Hood
  • Le Zoo pétrifié (Les Carnets de Cerise, #1)
  • The Ugly Five
  • The Serious Goose
  • Triangle
  • Tiddler
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • Hey Grandude!