Start by marking “Pain Management (Burke, #13)” as Want to Read:
Pain Management (Burke, #13)

Pain Management

(Burke #13)

Published October 8th 2002 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Pain Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain Management

Larry Bassett
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
I like a book with really short chapters. Pain Management meets the short chapter requirement.

Evidently I am not going to read any literature for a while yet. I already have my next two books stacked on my desk: The Sins of the Fathers and Mystic River. I am looking forward to reading both of them for the first time. In fact it will be my first exposure to the authors Lawrence Block and Dennis Lehane. But I don’t think they count any more as literature than this book.

This is my third Andrew Va
Greenockian
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply a magnificent novel that borders on being atrue work of art and genius. I have no idea how Vachss can write something of this quality. Don't approach this thinking you can simply sit back and be entertained as Vachss does not operate like that - this is a book designed to get the grey matter stirring and you'll find your mind wandering off at tangents time after time - normally a bad sign in abook but in this case it's most definitely not.
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Vacchs is a keeper. Man goes deep on morality, a code for living, and the need for that to live well. Purposefully and rightly. Even if the main character's a criminal. When he cuts off the fist two stretches of the index fingers of a guy, he cauterizes them with his mini-blow torch, and the guy had cut a lot of hookers who hadn't paid up 20 bucks a night for 'protection' - someone else's racket who he later takes out -instantaneously and without remose or a second's thought- when the 'kingpin' ...more
Rick
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Vachss. The more I read his work, the better I like it.
John Collins
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
As usual, Vachss delivers a solid thriller. After the events of Dead and Gone, Burke finds himself recovering in Portland, not able to go back to NYC, he takes on the search of a missing teenager. Of course, everything is not what it seems and the case takes a few turns.
As much as I enjoyed this, I missed Burke New York family( Max, Mama, Michelle, Mole and The Prof) Vachss has made those characters live and breathe and I felt their absence.
An enjoyable entry in a powerful series.
Ian Cockerill
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another pitch blck noir from Vachss. Burke is out of his element after the last book, but he's still trying to find kids in trouble as well as make money from whatever scams he can pull. Relatively straightforward storyline, albeit with an unexpected ending.
Reading Vachss work, I am forced to suggest that he is a true artist.
Alice
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Less exciting than most of Vachass's work. Burke in in Seattle so he doesn't have his usual group of friends to help out, he isn't connected, some whinging.
Lynn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite, but not bad. Some exciting subplots in Portland, but I want Burke back home.
Ralph
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Burke is away from his home turf. As always Vachss writes with page turning precision
Spencer
This entry in the Burke series started out really, really strong and then managed to fall off drastically, mostly due to several plot elements, including a side bar on pain medicine and a red herring about a tandem man/woman serial killer duo that never panned out. The initial elements, Burke looking for a runaway, started out promising, but then got seriously sidetracked. Add to the fact that a vibrant character from the previous novel, Gem, this time out becomes distant and obtuse, much in the ...more
Don Crouch
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
You've read all the stuff about what actually happens in Pain Management already, so let's not rehash any of that.
Vachss' novels appeal to a couple different types of readers: the surface dwellers, and the mission soldiers. No judgments intended or implied. For the surface dwellers, there is plenty of quality character development, noir action and twisty plot. Vachss ranks with the best in this area (Connelly, Lehane,Crais, Block, etc.). Some great new characters (let's all praise ANN O. DYNE!!!
Ramzi
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of crime fiction
Definitely the weakest installment in the series I've read so far; Vachss brings Burke to unfamiliar territory (Portland) with less than stellar results. Gone are the rich characters we've come to know and love and in their place is a wide array of one dimensional personalities and an endlessly boring search for a teenage runaway. The payoff is weak (even by "later" Burke series standards) and is sure to rub a few people the wrong way. I'm a completist so I had to read this installment but in al ...more
Steve Dennie
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: black-lizard
“Pain Management” (2001) finds Burke staying in Portland with Gem. He accepts a job–to find Rosebud, a teenage girl who disappeared from her home. She appears to be a runaway. But why? Operating in Portland, without the familiar New York cast of underworld characters–Max, Michelle, the Mole, Mama, Clarence, and others–Burke is just another private investigator, and this is just another mystery plot.

Burke uses this book to preach against restrictions on industrial-strength pain medicine for termi
Scott
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is not one fo Vachss' better works. A bit clunky and tired, like the squeeking chassis of '71 Dodge Dart. The characters are more two-dimensional than his earlier works which led me here.(Flood, Strega) Sadly, although I really looked forward to this book, I found myself reading with weary contempt, not the grinding envy I expected. Oh well, there's 10 other Burke novels prior to this one I can still read!
David Ward
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Pain Management (Burke #13) by Andrew Vachss (Alfred A. Knopf 2001)(Fiction - Mystery) finds Burke in the Pacific Northwest cut off from his former life in NYC and allied with Samaritans who heist pain medications for the underprescribed. My rating: 4/10, finished 6/23/11.
Mikal
Dec 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty fast read dealing with similar subjects (child abuse, loyalty, a different view of family, and virtue) that Vachss often deals with. Set in Portland, Oregon rather than New York. Rating 3 1/2.
Debra
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Burke novels have just become part of how I view the world. Reading Vachss's books has helped me heal from a difficult childhood more effectively than therapy!
Andrea
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought this was pretty good right up until the very anticlimactic and disappointing end.

Kevin Ould
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably my least favourite Burke novel so far in the series. Not bad but not great.
Wolfgang
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Another in Vachss over the top tough guy Burke novels that is too pulpy to be quality, but just enough to keep me entertained.
Lorilee
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are only a few left in this series. I missed the family but it was a good read. The ending was a little weird but the rest of the story more than made up for it.
Lorena Drapeau
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
not my favorite style or storyline but i ended up fairly amused by it.
Cynthia
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I've read several of Vachss's books, and this is without doubt my least favorite.
Shawna
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book, continues with Vachss's agenda.
Steve
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty decent read as Burke is again on his own. Has a bit different feel that the other books but still good.
Beth
Mickie Garcia
Jul 13, 2017
10 Best Solutions Fo Pain Self-Management 1 1 Dec 14, 2018 03:45AM
  • L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories
  • The Coldest Mile (Cold, #2)
  • Hardboiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories
  • The Beasts of Valhalla (A Mongo Mystery, #4)
  • Grendel: Devil's Legacy
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Six Bad Things (Hank Thompson #2)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • The Jaguar (Charlie Hood, #5)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • The Big Bad City (87th Precinct, #49)
  • Shoedog
  • Full Metal Jacket Diary
  • Strangers in Paradise: Treasury Edition
  • Hard Freeze
  • Criminal Macabre: The Complete Cal McDonald Stories
  • By Reason of Insanity
Andrew Vachss has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social-services caseworker, a labor organizer, and has directed a maximum-security prison for “aggressive-violent” youth. Now a lawyer in private practice, he represents children and youths exclusively. He is the author of numerous novels, including the Burke series, two collections of short stories, and a wide varie ...more

Burke (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Blue Belle (Burke, #3)
  • Hard Candy (Burke, #4)
  • Blossom (Burke, #5)
  • Sacrifice (Burke, #6)
  • Down in the Zero (Burke, #7)
  • Footsteps of the Hawk (Burke, #8)
  • False Allegations (Burke, #9)
  • Safe House (Burke, #10)
“I wanted to ask her what the fuck was wrong but I had a date with a pack of skittish whores.” 11 likes