Start by marking “What Goes Down” as Want to Read:
What Goes Down

What Goes Down

ebook

To ask other readers questions about What Goes Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Goes Down

Start your review of What Goes Down
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

Where do I start with this? I have done little since I finished this book other than think about it and how I was going to write this review. It is a substantially full novel, a lot happens, there is a full cast of characters each with their own nuances, issues, and contribution to the over-arching storyline.

As a summary Seph, a woman in her mid-twenties feels her world come crashing down around her ears when she receives an email from a man n
Monica Mac
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written novel about families, mental illness and love in all its manifestations.

When I started reading this book I thought it was a story about a young woman finding out a family secret. It is SO much more than that! The story of Laurel and Seph will draw you in, it will make you think and you will not be able to put it down. About half-way through, I started to read more quickly, because I really wanted to know what was going to happen with all the characters. I really enj
Alison
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I have read anything by Natalie. I’m going to start by saying, it’s no reflection on the book or author but the main character is called Persephone not a common name by any means but the second time I have come across it in a book in the last couple of months so that was a bit disconcerting! (Persephone is a Greek Goddess for info).

What Goes Down is an emotional story, a lot of it we have heard before, Seph discovers at the age of twenty seven that the man she has known a
Em Yarnell
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal in the way it deals with sensitive issues and their fall out for both the people experiencing it and the family and friends around them.
It has great pace and intrigue and I really enjoyed the jump between time-spans and viewpoints. Sometimes I find it difficult to switch between viewpoints from different people and and it's a skill that Natalie has in bucket loads. I found it added to the emotional investment in the characters and I found myself reading it at every opport
Georgina Roberts
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, the characters were so well written and the story really held my attention.
The book is set in the present day with mainly Seph and in the eighties with her mum Laurel. It tells the story of Sephs biological dad who emails her out of the blue, she doesn't even know he exists before that time. The chapters switch between Seph in the present and her mum and Dad before she was born and after. The main topic is dealt with in a fantastic way and so we'll written. Fantastic I loved
Piepie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Many thanks to the author, Natalie Martin, for asking me to help proofread this novel!

What Goes Down is a special story and touches on sensitive issues. I really liked George and Tony, and I'm glad the ending is full of hope for Ben and Seph. I really liked how Seph's downward spiral was portrayed and how she came out on top with the help of her family, especially the love of her mother.

I love how Natalie's characters appear real and they face real issues. I've read all of her books, and I high
Amy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Book Review:

When I first heard about What Goes Down, I was really interested in the premise as I knew that it dealt with mental health and often do search for books around this topic. What Goes Down did live up to this notion, being an honest and engaging look at mental health and family.

So I should probably get the negatives out the way first. At times, this book didn't engage me as much as I hoped it would but I feel like this was because it is an adult fiction novel and was about so
Allie Cresswell
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
What Goes Down starts off as the story of a woman who discovers that the man she has called Dad all her life is not her biological father. Shock-horror revelations like this are used frequently (too frequently?) by writers to hook their readers into the story and if you like that sort of thing, you’ll love this.
The problem for me personally is that being plunged into a catastrophe is too hard and sudden, like being pushed into cold water. I can’t get my bearings, I haven’t orientated myself. We
Katie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Goes Down was a fabulous read, it was emotional, raw and heart-breaking at times. It was an interesting look at a young woman called Seph who receives an email from her birth father Nico, this was the first time she has heard about this. The book delves into Seph's life in London in present day and also her Mum, Laurel, in the eighties where she meets Nico for the first time.

The book covered a range of subjects and it went in a direction I wasn't expecting, however I loved every minute of
Maria Lee
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Natalie Martin's previous books and was very excited to read this one. It does not disappoint. The writer's style grabs you and holds your interest right through to the end.

The story is written in two time frames: 1987 and 25 years later. This is done extremely well and gives a great insight into the characters.

Seph, a talented artist, receives a surprise email from a man called Nico who claims to be her biological father. Seph has had a happy family life with her mum, Laurel, an
Julie Smith
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seph Powell has all she ever wanted: a close family, loving boyfriend and her dream career. A gifted artist with a highly anticipated exhibition just weeks away, her life seems to be perfect. Until a man she's never met claims to be her real father.

Laurel and Tony Powell are devoted parents. Having worked hard to provide everything for their daughter, they’ve created an enviable, picture-perfect family. Until Laurel's ex-boyfriend, Nico, comes back into their lives.

In the summer of 1987, Nico
Christie Sitterly
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story details main character, Seph's, discovery that the father she has always known is not, in fact, her biological father. Seph has been dealing with anxiety issues (speaking as someone who has suffered with anxiety, I must give author Natalie Martin kudos for nailing the feelings associated with such a disorder!), and her mental state is beginning to spiral out of control. Nestled amidst this story line, is chronicled the love story of Seph's mother and her biological father, and how her ...more
Jo
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started off slowly but the storyline drew me in - even so when Laurels back story began. A tale of what mental health issues can do to a relationship - the sadness and heartache it can cause. The characters were believable and kept me wanting to find out more. I hope Seph continued to get the help and support she needed. Thank you to TBC and to the author for the chance to read this title.
Alison
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thought-provoking, compassionate and sensitively crafted tale with characters that quickly draw you in. Natalie Martin gracefully addresses the struggles associated with complex mental health issues and their impact not only on the sufferer, but on those around them. Highly recommend this book.
Sian Steen
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this book, and thought it handled sensitive issues really well.

Some of the scenes hit home pretty hard for me, as someone who has been around a lot of mental illness. For me, the emotions I deal with when arguing with my SO were perfectly captured.

I felt a lot of empathy with the characters, and enjoyed the switching between timlines/POVs.

Really well written too.

Thank you, Natalie!
Sally Mcdonagh
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seph returns from a holiday to an email from a man claiming to be her father. This is how she finds out that the man who raised her is not her biological father. From here we go through a rollercoaster of emotions as Seph tries to come to terms with this news.
I enjoyed this book. I loved how we saw Laurel's relationship with nico when she was just 17 and how she coped with his bipolar while they were together.
I loved George, everybody should have a George in their lives.
Would recommend
Kelly
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story that has you from the outset. This book focuses around a family and describes the mothers life when she was just 19 and then comes back to present day for her own daughter. It has many ups and downs, it keeps you gripped as you want to know what happens and how all these decisions impact the futures of those involved.
The author has written this book with compassion addressing bipolar with sensitivity and a true insight, whilst creating some lovely characters that you empathise
Grass monster
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Blurb :
Seph Powell has all she ever wanted: a close family, loving boyfriend and her dream career. A gifted artist with a highly anticipated exhibition just weeks away, life seems to be perfect. Until a man she's never met claims to be her real father.
Laurel and Tony Powell are devoted parents. Having worked hard to provide everything for Seph, they've created a picture-perfect family. Until Laurel's ex-boyfriend, Nico, comes back into their lives.
In the summer of 1987, Nico Papoulis stole L
Pam Robertson
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
What Goes Down takes you on a journey into surprising territory. When I first started to read it, I anticipated a fairly typical romance story and how the central character, Seph, learnt secrets from the past. However, it is much more than that. The most impressive part is how it deals with mental health issues, in this case, bi-polar and takes you into the mind of the person who is living with it. You get to see the greater effects it has on all those around and the implications for each new ge ...more
Justine Sharp
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you for being given the opportunity to read this book Natalie. I've not read any of your work before but was really intrigued by the subject matter and its something i know very little about. But the way it was handled was great ; handling the complexities of love and family and ultimately the suffering caused by a mental illness. Spanning two timeframes it was well written, and tackled a sensitive subject really well. I look forward to reading more of your work.
Helen Murdoch
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read
Anna Green
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has blown me away. This is more than a second chance romance actually. Narrated in dual points of view by mother and daughter, the past and the present, the reader learns a lot about mental illness, the struggle, grief and loss. Most important of all is the extensive info about bipolar disorder and dealing with the symptoms and how it affects the people around you. This is a very enlightening and emotional read one that you must not miss out on. Highly recommended!
Aisha
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is well-written and I felt that it dealt well with mental illness.
I’m not sure I liked Seph too much as a character, but I was compelled to keep reading which says a lot about the talent of this author!
I enjoyed the different perspectives provided and would recommend this read to others.
Nicola
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went through a wide range of emotions while reading this book, it was such a touching and moving tale of love, loss and second chances. Natalie has a wonderful way with words and touches on topics with heartfelt emotion and sometimes, it seems, it comes from deep within, real life. She has the ability to make you feel like you're living these characters thoughts and feelings, I loved being transported back in time and the depth she described every event.
I truly loved this story and would high
Charlene McCaigue
Brilliant as always

As someone who through a family member has lived through the highs and lows of manic depression I can say that this book is 100% accurate in the way it tells the story. I have read all 4 of Natalie s books and each subject is dealt with compassion and knowledge but in a way that keeps you glued
Clare Blackham
Mrs S L Shorten
May 03, 2019
Samantha Carr
Oct 10, 2017

• Tagan's Chance: A Romantic Suspense With A Twist (The Tagan Series Book 4)
  • Rivers of Ink
  • Menace (Moonshine Task Force #5)
  • The Summer of Hopes and Dreams
  • Dead of Winter (Aspen Falls #1)
  • Shutdown Player (Seattle Sockeyes Hockey #7)
  • Blackberry Picking at Jasmine Cottage
  • The Christmas Invitation
  • A Christmas Hideaway: A Hideaway Down Novel
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part One: A Reunion
  • The Bookshop of Hopes and Dreams (Hope Cove #6)
  • The Cottage on Lily Pond Lane - Summer Secrets: Part Two (Lily Pond Lane, #2)
  • Cocktails and Dreams
  • The Forgotten Room
  • All The Colours In Between
In January 2014, Sheffield-born Natalie Martin decided to leave her corporate job in London and experience the world—heading off on travels that would take her as far as Cambodia, North India, Goa and Thailand, and would change her outlook on life for good. Whilst travelling in India, her debut novel, Together Apart, became a #1 bestseller on Amazon charts. Love You Better is her second full-lengt ...more

News & Interviews