Start by marking “You Will Grow Into Them” as Want to Read:
You Will Grow Into Them

You Will Grow Into Them

The world is a far stranger place than we give it credit for. There, in the things we think familiar, safe, are certain aspects. Our fears and desires given form. Moments that defy explanation. Shadows in our home.

In Malcolm Devlin’s debut collection, change is the only constant. Across nine stories he tackles the unease of transformation, growth and change in a world wh
Published June 20th 2017 by Unsung Stories (first published May 8th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about You Will Grow Into Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Will Grow Into Them

Whispering Stories
If there was a guiding theme that bound all of these stories together, I couldn’t tell you what it was. The synopsis says that each story is about transformation and change, which I suppose is accurate but it doesn’t really give you an accurate idea of what to expect. The only thing that I can really say about each story is that they’re specifically arranged to be open to interpretation at the end – they’re all very surreal and have no clear ending, it’s up to you to decide what it all means.

Sad
Leif
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Maybe I’m susceptible to some lurking horrors more than others, but Malcolm Devlin’s first short story collection, You Will Grow Into Them, gave me the creeps before I even opened the front cover. Is the gritty, textured skin so prominently foregrounded being pulled off—or is it put on, the way one would a glove? Why is the other skin so inhumanly shiny?

Suitably impressed by the dark tenor of this subversive aesthetic—the book’s 'handshake' becomes a tender skin-graft, if you allow the metaphor
Dan Coxon
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly excellent debut collection from Malcolm Devlin. Anyone who's read his stories in Interzone and Black Static will know what to expect: unsettling weirdness, dark twists and the occasional flash of wholly appropriate humour. Personal favourites were 'Dogsbody' and 'Songs Like They Used To Play', but there's not a bad story among them. All thriller, no filler.
Ailsa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the occasional short story online, but don't buy them very often, but since I'm trying to step out of my reading comfort zones this year, I thought I would give it a try when Unsung Stories offered me a copy of You Will Grow Into Them to review. It's a collection of horror stories with a fantasy element to them, which varies in strength from one story to the next.

I have to say that as a whole, I didn't enjoy the stories all that much, and it was for the same reason with most: the endings.
Duncan Bradshaw
This was recommended to me as a horror/weird mashup, and for the most part I enjoyed it. The horror itself is light, which works well, but for me personally, not all of the stories landed. You can't knock the writing itself or the style, just I'm probably not the target audience for this, as I like things to be a bit more overt. However...the final story 'The End of Hope Street' was pretty damn good, one of the best short stories I've read in a while. I think the fact that it's also the oddest i ...more
Andrew Wallace
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many factors that make the short stories in the extraordinary collection so compelling. One is that you aren’t quite sure what genre you’re reading, which makes the outcomes unpredictable. That you’re still not sure by the end is no failing of the author; rather it’s that he mixes a uniquely beguiling cocktail of fantasy, science fiction, horror and something I can only describe as Other Stuff. Stories like these tend to get labelled New Weird, but I don’t think that label does them ju ...more
Jackie Law
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Will Grow Into Them, by Malcolm Devlin, is a collection of ten short stories exploring the shadows that lurk beneath the surface of everyday lives. Set in a variety of times and imaginative places, each multi-layered tale offers the reader a glimpse of personal demons, psychological and physical, and the blindness many choose to affect to avoid engaging with other’s pain. Although extraordinary in places, the narrative conjures trials that are all too recognisable. Vividly constructed, these ...more
John
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devlin uses a thin layer of horror, fantasy, and fear to reveal the beauty and cruelty of his real topic: humans. As much as the stories can be considered plot-driven, the real engines are the characters.

- A man knows that getting a job will be hard because of "that one time he turned into a wolf" and the requirement that he self-identify as having Lupine Syndrome.

- On Hope Street, houses become unlivable, perhaps because of the hopes of their occupants. Charity, too, comes under attack.

- A girl
Priya Sharma
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tremendously assured collection, showcasing just how clever and subtle a writer Malcom Devlin is. My particular favourites were his fairy tale, "Breadcrumbs", "Dogsbody" for its contained violence and the heart breaking "The End of Hope Street".

Gloria
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short fiction collection. This is a collection of odd and creepy stories. Highly recommend.
Aliya Whiteley