Start by marking “Lying Eyes (Nights at Mata Hari #2)” as Want to Read:
Lying Eyes (Nights at Mata Hari #2)

Lying Eyes

(Nights at Mata Hari #2)

A suspenseful gay romance novel about an alpha bartender, an art historian with a mystery and a homeless teenager in need of help

This bartender’s art lies in more than mixing drinks …

Randy Vaughan is a six-foot-three mass of mysteries to his customers and his friends. Why does a former Secret Service agent now own Mata Hari, a successful piano bar? Where did a muscle daddy
Published July 7th 2017 by Robert Winter Books

Judith
4 Stars.

I haven't read Every Breath You Take,the previous book Randy featured in but that definitely didn't spoil my enjoyment of this,so this is a standalone.It's my first read by this Author and I was impressed.

The main focus of the story isn't just the relationship between the two MCs.There's intrigue and one twist,in particular,I didn't see coming at all.

I'm not normally a fan of older characters and,at first,I wasn't sure what to make of Randy(51) but as the story progressed I fell a bit mo
Nancy
Cross-posted at Shelf Inflicted and at Outlaw Reviews

After meeting Randy Vaughan, sexy older bartender in Every Breath You Take, I was thrilled to get the opportunity to read his story and find out why he is not in a relationship and why he retired early from the Secret Service.

Those mysteries and a few others gradually get solved as Randy learns more about Jack Fraser, an English art historian who is extremely interested in a post-impressionist painting Randy purchased while he was in London.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
While I loved September Pride, the author's first novel, Lying Eyes didn't engage me in the same way. Maybe it's the creepy leather-pants guy on the cover? Hmmm ...

More likely it's that the story has several subplots and is heavier on the mystery than the romance.

I liked Randy; he's thoughtful and kind, truly the "bigger man" in every sense of the word. Jack, however, is not as well developed a character, and his behavior wasn't consistent throughout the story.

The chemistry between Randy and J
Ariana
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap, arcs, lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

I think this one is Robert Winter's best so far.

We met Randy in Every Breath You Take as the true friend and hero who saves Zach from the clutches of a crazy stalker. I loved him then and was looking forward to find out more about him.

At 51, he definitely falls into the mature MC category, which (of course *g*) brings a huge smile to my face. At six foot three, a"mountain of a man", a former Secret Service agent and the owner of a gay piano bar, you wouldn't suspect nor expect his d
Christelle
**3.5 stars**
In Every Breath You Take, we were introduced to Randy, the sexy ex-secret service agent, bar owner and painting fan. And it’s his passion for art that leads him to encounter Jack, a British assistant curator, interested in one of the paintings Randy acquired a few years ago. Not necessarily Randy’s top priorities, as he’s set on finally securing his bar business after resigning from his old job, honouring the memories of his uncle, his role-model, and helping Danny, a homeless young
Simone
***3 - 3.5 Stars***

First things first: that cover... Seriously? Nope! Our first official act during our buddy read was to search for a replacement to ban the visual of this creepy guy from our minds. Imagine our collective sigh of relief when we found him...
Bildergebnis für shemar moore laughing gif

Yep, better! Much better!!! ;-)

There is not much to tell about the story, though. I ended up liking, but not loving it. I'll skip a summary because when you read the blurb it says everything you have to know. What I really liked was the
Fabi
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I've read by Robert Winter. The first one, September, was 5+ star brilliant. But it wrecked me. It left me emotionally drained. I'm not the kind of person who can read those books often.

I had to give Winter another try. His brilliant writing called to my inner reader. I read Every Breath You Take. I enjoyed the story and was glad to find that this mystery/suspense romance didn't try to shatter my emotions. Yet I still hesitated a little with this new author. The two books
Trio
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-r2r, mm, bdsm, favorites
Lying Eyes is the story of Randall Vaughan, a retired Secret Service agent and current owner/bartender of a popular gay bar in Washington DC. Randy is initially introduced in Robert Winter’s novel Every Breath You Take. It isn’t necessary to read the earlier novel first to enjoy this one, but the characters do cross over between the two stories so there will be a few spoilers.

Lying Eyes is 100% spectacular and has everything I love in a great story.

There is a clever mystery, with all kinds of in
CrabbyPatty
If you read (and enjoyed as I did) Every Breath You Take and wondered if sexy bar owner / former Secret Service agent Randy would get his own story, have no fear - it's here and it is a great read!

Randy has a good life, but a lonely existence. When art historian Jack Fraser comes into the Mata Hari piano bar to learn more about a painting Randy purchased years ago, there's a sexual spark between the two men, but also an awareness that something is not as it seems regarding the painting. Why does
Diana
DNF @ 36%. No rating. I just couldn't get into the story and I really didn't like the H at all.
Sara
5 Hearts

New to me Robert Winter has just earned a place on my must read author list. What an amazing, complex and ridiculously romantic book this was.

Though I haven’t read Winter’s previous books and had the pleasure of meeting Randy before, I can say this works well as a standalone novel, as well as promoting the intrigue to go back and read Thomas and Zachary’s story and meet David and Brandon.

But this is Randy’s story; our hard bodied, leather loving, ex-special services agent and current
Josy
~ 3.5 stars ~

Simone put all of my thoughts about this book into perfect words in her review.

Thank you for this BR, Simone!! Once again, I had lots of fun <3<3
Leta Blake
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bias alert! I performed a round of content edits on this book.

I absolutely loved working on this book. I had not read the first two books in the series (soon to be remedied!) and it works absolutely as a stand alone. I adored Randy and loved learning about him over the course of the book. Jack was a sexy mofo who really wrung my heart in a few places. The dynamic between the two of them was thrilling to see unfold and the sex scenes between them were quite hot.

The mystery was a good one and lef
Natalie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book gets better

The first two books from Robert were excellent but this one is just that much better. Randy is my favorite character so far (although the cover model does little justice to the visual I had while reading. Jesse Jackman, just sayin'). I love a bear anyway and Randy epitomized the look and personality I imagine when I look at some guys. This was so intriguing, with Randy's multifaceted character: piano bar owner, ex-Secret Service agent, artist, and protector. Jack was unusua
Kaje Harper
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, mystery, m-m
This was my favorite of the three books I've read by this author. Randy is an appealing MC - a big mountain of a man who lost a career in the Secret Service by giving his trust too easily. Those events have made him doubt himself, but did not turn him away from his basic kindness. He's also a Dom (indubitably a caretaker Dom) and into the leather scene, which plays a role but does not dominate the book. He bought a bar (with a little help from his friends) and enjoys running it, but he's lonely, ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Robert Winter is a newer author with this being this third published book and this is yet another impressive addition to his catalog of work. Lying Eyes is both character and plot driven and Winter handles both areas well to achieve a well balanced story in both of these regards. The point of view comes from Randy and he is a well developed character. The author really gives a sense of who he is and where he has come from. He’s an interesting guy having had a car
Neil Plakcy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
There's so much to enjoy about this book. I loved the characters and their relationships, and I was fascinated by the very light descriptions of leather and bondage here. I could really understand what these characters got out of the scene, and the writing was so evocative, bringing in all the senses, including the smell of the leather.

I definitely will read more by this author!
Caipi
My first book by this author and I loved it!
There's so much, hurt and loss, hope and forgiveness, an interesting 51 years old former Secret Service agent, who is now a bartender, and a sweet British art historian, a bit BDSM and a leather kink, a mystery and art.......

4,5 stars
Becky
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good solid story with a decent twist. Enjoyable read.
Reflection
'"...I think I understand. You want to do good, but you’re afraid of being used. You’re full of hope, but you've been hurt. You want to love, but that requires trust"...'

Trust is the main thrust of this romance that also has surprisingly complex characters who reveal more layers and motivation as the story unfolds.

There's an added bonus of several mysteries to solve within the story on a personal and aesthetic level.

I had a minor crisis whilst reading this book. Away for a few days in the w
S.J. Himes
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First for Me

This book!!! Made me cry. Wonderful. I love how Randy made me feel for him, in every scene. Such a treasure. Well done. My first Winter book and it won't be my last. Intelligent writing, strong research and development. And the emotional connections were top notch. Small issues I had are more to my personal tastes and not a flaw in the book.
Feliz
Awesome writing, memorable characters and an intriguing, if somewhat predictable mystery made this book one of the best I've read this year. Loved the completely loopy villain. The BDSM -Elements just fit both the story and the characters.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.4 Stars

Oh man, I am usually pretty damned good at figuring out a whodunit - and I pretty much had this one figured out from the get-go...well, except that surprise plot twist. Damn! Didn't see that coming at all. Which, I guess means I'd have fallen for it as well maybe? *shrug*

Anywho, more than a mystery this book is about second (or third) chances. About putting yourself & your heart out there to be hurt. About letting go and finding something you know you needed, wanted, craved, in some
Chris Tharrington
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t read Winter’s Every Breath You Take, don’t read Lying Eyes, because there will be spoilers. Now with that out of the way, I can’t recommend Lying Eyes enough. The theme of this book is simple: appearances can be deceiving. Randy, the beloved bartender from Every Breath You Take, is a bear of a man, and a former Secret Service agent. He shouldn’t have any knowledge or interest in fine art, let alone be a painter, but he is. At first glance Englishman Jack Fraser is an erudite art e ...more
Colin James
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lying Eyes is the third book by Robert Winter and like his last two it does not disappoint. This author has the ability to create very real and diverse characters and put them in well thought out situations and settings. As they develop they become very real and somehow get under your skin in a good way.

We were introduced to Randy the ex secret service agent and part owner of Mata Hari in Every Breath You Take. If you were into him in the last book you’ll want to grab this latest book and hang
Pat
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Robert Winter just gets better and better with every book he writes. Lying Eyes, his third and newest, pairs a rough, bearish DC bar owner and a cheeky Brit art curator as they wrangle over a painting. Taken individually, these unlikely parts could easily crash and burn in the hands of a less able writer. But here they meshed and make for an excellent story. Check it out. I highly recommend it.
Achim
3.5
Alisa
Oct 15, 2017 marked it as tbr-mm-own
Free on Amazon. 10/15/17
Heather Martin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Lying Eyes by Robert Winter is considered a standalone book, but I would strongly recommend reading Every Breath You Take (EBYT) first as many of the characters also appeared in that book, and Lying Eyes contains spoilers for what happened in EBYT. And, it's no hardship to read EBYT, just check out my review to see how much I loved it!

We met Randy in EBYT, co-owner and ba
BR Josy and Simone 533 4 Dec 04, 2017 12:23PM
Turning Pages At ...: Lyning Eyes (M/M Buddy Read) by Robert Winter 32 14 Sep 29, 2017 06:21AM
  • Exposed
  • The Master Will Appear
  • Werewolves of Chernobyl
  • Aftercare
  • Life Under New Management
  • Acceleration (Impulse, #2)
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • Dirty Games
  • Training Complex (Training Season, #2)
  • The Highlander​ (The Order #2)
  • Wes' Denial (Tease and Denial, #2)
  • Liar, Liar
  • Hidden Away
  • The Klockwerk Kraken (Klockwerk Kraken, #1)
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Private Truths
  • Once a Brat (Kinky Cupid, #1)
Robert Winter is a recovering lawyer who likes writing about hot men in love much more than drafting a legal brief. Once upon a time, he went to Georgetown University law school. Upon graduation, he moved to New York to work in a large law firm, but later returned to Washington, DC. The legal work was entertaining and Robert spent a lot of time in bankruptcy court, usually representing either grou ...more

Nights at Mata Hari (2 books)
  • Every Breath You Take (Nights at Mata Hari #1)