Start by marking “The Layover” as Want to Read:
The Layover

The Layover

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  510 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
Eight years ago, Ondro Smrek fled Slovakia and the bigotry that drove his first lover to take his own life. The demons proved impossible to outrun, though, and now, desperate for somewhere to belong, Ondro is returning to start over. During a layover in Basel, Switzerland, he meets Jamie, an American living in Scotland who is as brilliant as he is beautiful.

Jaded Ondro ne
Published July 19th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Layover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Layover

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
When my parents packed up their lives and immigrated to the States from Poland in the 80s, they did so for religious and political reasons. They had no way of knowing that my little brother, then barely a toddler, was gay.

We are not idealists; we do not romanticize America. But despite living in a very conservative state, we know that my brother had a better chance at being his true self here than he would have in Poland. Poland's constitution is one of only seven in the EU to ban gay marriage.
Judith
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Judith by: Truuss
Shelves: m-m
4.5 Stars.

Beautiful writing...

This is one of the reasons I love this site.If I hadn't read a friend's review of this I probably wouldn't have either stumbled across it or considered it and I would have missed out on a pretty unique read.This Author definitely has a way with words and making a story special.

Ondro left Slovakia years ago,disillusioned with his life as a young gay man there.Somewhere,deep inside,he knows he left for the wrong reasons and decides to leave the life he's made for hims
☆ Todd
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This beautifully-written, short, 100+ page read is about many different things, all of which I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed.

It's about a once-hopeful, young student, who fled from his homeland, because it refused to allow him to be who he truly was or love whom he wanted to love.

It's about that same man, now a jaded, 30 y.o. flight attendant, deciding that he was sick of running and heartsick for a home.

It's about discovering that home is not necessarily a place, especially a place w
Nazanin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, m-m-romance
4 Stars

Ondro wants a fresh start, quietly in a corner. He’s gay and the place he wants to start his new beginning is a suffocating and scary place for someone like him. When he was coming back to Slovakia (after eight years) he had a layover and at the airport, he met the smart, beautiful, kind and amazing Jamie who made him feel human again, made him be himself again, made him happy and brave!

This book was my second read by this author and like the other one was really enjoyable! The author’s w
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***5 Stars***

Every single word in this 117 page story owned me this morning. Silly me thought I'd start a nice book, read for an hour, and then finish it up later tonight. WRONG! The only thing that would have gotten me to stop reading was if the house started burning down around me. I couldn't put this down.

The writing? Simply exquisite.

The characters? Fully developed. Endearing, vulnerable, honest...unforgettable!

The plot? Engaging. Sad, hopeful, realistic, romantic...

This is one of my favor
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I usually pass over books from new-to-me authors, and I originally passed by this one.

I was actually pretty surprised to see such glowing reviews from my trusted friends, considering I'd never heard of this author, but I decided to take a chance and jump right in. And it was SO worth it.

Roe Horvat is a lovely writer, and the story flows in a beautiful, almost poetic way. It isn't the harsher, more frank contemporary style I'm accustomed to seeing, and the language works beautifully without see
Jan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: Judith
Shelves: lgbtq, shorties
**** 4 Stars ****

Surprisingly good for a short read. Full of feelings, nothing shallow.

Everything happened very fast. Weirdly enough it didn't feel like insta-love. Kudos to the author!

Loved the way the MC's were brought together, the banter between them and the way their relationship developed. The insight about Slovakia took me by surprise, not to say a tad bit shocking.

Sometimes I think of myself as a well-informed person but the truth is I know nothing. It's terribly sad to think that a simp
Jewel
4.5 Stars

The Layover has been all over my feed the past few days. I was unfamiliar with the author, but I decided to take a chance and read it for myself. The story, while short, was beautifully written and engaging and I'm wholeheartedly glad I gave this book a shot. Sometimes you've just got to take a chance, and as it turns out, that theme played heavily into the story that The Layover told, as well.

The Layover is about two men from two very different backgrounds and realities meeting by chan
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

I’m pretty sure there’s not much I can add to the accolades regarding this novella.

Understated but no less powerful, this is all about whether one should take a chance at something that is so highly desired but so out of reach.

A fortuitous layover at the airport brings Ondro the opportunity to perhaps make a connection with the beguiling Jaime who’s caught his eye. What proceeds is Ondro slowly waking up from his self imposed isolation and actually wanting more for himself than just goi
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I've been meaning to read this book since many of my Goodreads friends have been singing it praises. I am so glad I did, because this was such a sweet and heartwarming book that I enjoyed so much! Sweet isn't normally my thing, but in this case it really worked. Roe Horvat is a new author to look out for and I want to see more from her in the future!

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
Al
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique...contemplative...real. Lay the red carpet for Roe Horvat!! Simply spellbinding.
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
4.5 Stars!

This was a really good read. It didn't feel like a novella at all.

I really liked both main characters.

And who wouldn't love the idea of meeting "the one" on a layover???
Dia
4,5 rounded up because I absolutely loved the writing!

I've seen so many reviews from my friends for this one, but it took me a while to get to it. Now I am sorry I've waited so long to read this author's books.

I've read Dirty Mind in the weekend and loved it. When I dived into this one I thought I was ready, but it sucker punched me. Homophobia is just as bad in Romania. We actually have the exact same problems, and I am already extremely sad and angry with everything that's happening here. Co
Ami

As a reader, the most important thing when I read a story is the connection. Connection to the characters, to the storyline, to the writing style. Connection is what can elevate my reading experience into the next level – when I can feel emotional about fictional characters, or when a story stays with me long after I finish it.

I always have soft spot in my heart for stories featuring lonely people that meet during a trip or being stranded at places like the airport or even a city. I thi
Elsa Bravante
Me ha parecido una historia maravillosa muy bien contada. Jamie y Ondro se conocen en un aeropuerto, un encuentro que va a definir sus vidas, y aunque pueda parecer en un principio insta, la autora lo escribe de forma que puedas entender en todo momento los sentimientos de los personajes, cómo surgen y el por qué. Es un libro nada superficial, que se siente muy real, con muchos puntos que te hacen pensar en los personajes, en nosotros mismos y en la vida. Muy romántico, me ha dejado con un nudit ...more
Tanu Gill
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was soooo sweet and adorable, it brought tears to my eyes, smiles to my face, and it downright melted my heart.

Jamie was so sweet, and it was definitely a bonus that I read the prequel with his POV before I started the story. His strength and determination made me feel proud of him and determined myself to go do something brave.

I loved Ondro. It was amazing experiencing his emotional journey like that. I wanted to just read about him and Jamie for long and long and long. The way he jus
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐5 STARS⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I was kissing him again. More like eating at him, pressing my tongue into his mouth almost violently. I was ravenous and terrified because it struck me that this was it. The single most erotic moment of my life.

LOVED IT!!! Just loved it. ALL the feels for this MM romance!
The writing, the character development, the connection and chemistry, the premise, the development of the story…
I fell in LOVE with this story and the author’s clever and beautiful writing. It reads flawlessly
Denise H.
***** A must read ! 10+ Stars ! *****
Our Men are on layover in Basel, Switzerland. Their flights are cancelled.

* Ondro/Andrew, 30, Eastern European, a flight steward, left Slovenia 8 yrs. ago. It's a toxic place for LGBT folks.

* Jaime, long brown hair in a bun, huge blue eyes is going home to Edinburgh, is a scientist and teacher.

After meeting at the airport, they end up at the same hotel, talk and drink at the bar; ending up in each others arms.

But, there is SO MUCH MORE to this brilliant
CrabbyPatty
The Layover is a short novella about two men, Ondro and Jamie, who meet in the Basel Switzerland airport when they are each delayed due to an airline strike, and after ending up at the same hotel, spend the night together. Upon returning to the airport, Jamie falls ill and Ondro stays to take care of him, with the two men spending five more nights together while Jamie recuperates.

Former flight attendant Ondro grew up in Bratislav, has been away eight years and is returning home to Slovakia, whi
Sheri
Two words…Roe. Horvat.
Let’s say them together, “Roe. Horvat.”
Good. Do you need to write them down?
No. Okay, but remember them. They may be new to you, but they are important.
Why?
Because they are connected to great things. And I am positive we will see them again. Actually, I am going to keep an eye out for them but if you see them first, please do me the favor of letting me know. Thanks!

So here’s the deal…there are only a hundred pages but it felt like so much more. Allow me to give you the lo
Christelle
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 well deserved stars for this very touching romance. And despite the fact it’s a novella, the author was able to pack a lot of emotion with well-fleshed characters in a few pages.

Ondro fled his Slovakian hometown and then his country, initially full of dreams but after 8 years, he’s a bit cynical and decides, for nowhere else to go, to go back to his country, despite a new wave of homophobia scourging the capital. An air strike leads him to spend a night in a hotel in Switzerland where he meets
Truuss
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, m-m
5 Overwhelming stars
Woww that.was.one.great.impressive.read. Categorized : mustread

Amazing story, refreshing way of writing, accents to details in a way I just found absolute extraordinary.
Self reflection and reflections of surroundings so sensitive and clear I couldn't get enough of it.
In some way highly romantic but not in a shallow way....there are so many strong observations put down I was utterly impressed

"I wanted to be enough for him to say goodbye tomorrow with just a little bit of reg
Josy
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
edit: I have to raise my original rating to full 5 stars because even a week after reading this book I'm still thinking about it and I want to re-read it as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 4.5 stars ~

This was such a beautiful, emotional love story that felt real and complete in spite of the shortness.

Reading the dedication was the first time I had to blink back tears and many more moments followed.

I loved the writing! It was different from what I usually read - ver
Dani
I LOVED IT. I don't have words to express how beautiful this story was. The writing was precious and it evoked so many feelings. It was full of passion and it was completely endearing.

Ending this left me speechless, all I can say is that everyone must read this.
Meags
4 Stars

Roe Horvat has just burst onto my radar in spectacular style with this extremely moving and beautifully written M/M romance.

The reviews for this story are already bang on so I don't feel the need to add anything else, but I'll most certainly be keeping a keen eye on Horvat's future releases.

READ IT!
Karla
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!
Ele
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and so authentically European. I'll be watching Roe Horvat's next move like a hawk.
Chris
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Novella packed a huge emotional punch in it's 100+ page story. Beautifully written and so glad I picked it up!!
Gabby
"I hadn't known that the minute there in the sunset had been the actual happiest moment of my life. Everything that came later was only a shadow of that feeling."
This is such a beautiful, short story about love and I loved it. It follows a man named Ondro Smrek from Slovakia, where LGBT is illegal. He experiences a delay at the airport on his flight back home where he meets an American named Jamie. They spend the night together, and then suddenly Jamie becomes ill and Ondro stays with him to tak
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

This story was a touching, well written love story between Ondro and Jamie who meet during a layover for their flights, and feel too deep of a connection to let just have a one night stand and say "see ya" at the end of it, even though Ondro is prepared for that to happen, through his narration we see everything in him not wanting it to end like that with Jamie.

I loved how real these characters felt, how well written they were, how we came to understand Ondro in the opinions he expres
Turning Pages At ...: The Layover (M/M Buddy Read) by Roe Horvat 24 17 Sep 18, 2017 10:06AM
The Backlot Gay B...: The Layover, by Roe Horvat 1 10 Jul 27, 2017 02:23PM
Queer fiction author Roe Horvat was born in the post-communist wasteland of former Czechoslovakia. Equipped with a dark sense of sarcasm, Roe traveled Europe and finally settled in Sweden. They love Jane Austen, Douglas Adams, and daiquiri, with equal passion. When not hiding in the studio doing graphics, Roe can be found trolling cafés in Gothenburg, writing, and people-watching.
More about Roe Horvat

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You know that inside every cynic, there’s just a very disappointed idealist?” 5 likes