Start by marking “The Lost Girl of Astor Street” as Want to Read:
The Lost Girl of Astor Street

The Lost Girl of Astor Street

Lydia has vanished. Lydia, who’s never broken any rules, except falling in love with the wrong boy. Lydia, who’s been Piper’s best friend since they were children. Lydia, who never even said good-bye. Convinced the police are looking in all the wrong places, eighteen-year-old Piper Sail begins her own investigation to solve the mystery of Lydia’s disappearance. With the re ...more
Published February 13th 2018 by Blink (first published February 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Girl of Astor Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Girl of Astor Street

m a r y l i z
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-reads
// Re-Read February 2018 //

SO THIS WAS JUST AS WONDERFUL AS I REMEMBERED. I got the uncontrollable urge to dive into this lovely book once again and was not disappointed in the slightest.

(Also . . . have I mentioned I really love Mariano? *grins*)

/ / /

*grabs a loudspeaker and shouts to the world* I HAVE FOUND A GOOD BOOK AT LAST.

Perhaps I've grown spoiled with all the good books I read last year, but recently, I've had a hard time finding new books that I actually really like. And to be quite ho
Sarah Grace Grzy
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ for adult-ish themes
3.5 stars.

I don't even know what to rate this! Or say about it . . . . Goodness!

The setting for this story, 1920s Chicago, was a ton of fun! I haven't read a lot in this timeperiod, so it was even more interesting. I liked Morrill's writing style a lot. Simplistic, but pretty and heartfelt.

The characters were all pretty spot-on. Piper was fantastic. (And I am seriously in love with her name! 'Piper Sail'? Really? L.O.V.E.) Her struggle and emotions throughout were very well portrayed, and I wa
Eva
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Actual rating: 4.5.

First of all, take a look at that cover. Drink it in. Gorgeous, isn’t it? Well, let me tell you that the story inside fully measures up to the glamour and elegance and intrigue that the cover promises. Just so ya’ll know before I go any further into this review, I was given an advance copy of The Lost Girl of Astor Street in exchange for my honest review. I didn’t know much about the story before I started reading, just that the cover was pretty and it was historical YA fictio
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Lydia has vanished.
Convinced the police are looking in all the wrong places, eighteen-year-old Piper Sail begins her own investigation in an attempt to solve the mystery of Lydia’s disappearance. With the reluctant help of a handsome young detective, Piper goes searching for answers in the dark under
Katie  Hanna
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent historical romance.

People. People, are you listening?? People: THIS BOOK IS REALLY GOOD.

I really enjoyed it!!! I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting; but whatever it was, this book was a heck of a lot better than that. It was smart. It was fun. It was sassy. It was deep, in places. And it moved me . . . it moved me, Bob.

What I liked:

- THE CHARACTERS. ALL THE YES.
Particularly:
- Piper!!!!! I didn't always cotton to her in a superficial sense, and I didn't always relate t
Katie Grace
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Ashley Bogner
2019 Re-read:
Loved it again.

Original Review:
I loved this book. So much. I read it in less than twenty-four hours and could not put it down (awesome thing about summer--no school to interrupt reading time). I'm sad I wrote my "best books of 2017 so far" post on my blog already, because I would have added this one to the list.

After speculative, historical is my favorite genre. I grew up reading Nancy Drew and have always loved teen sleuth stories. The Lost Girl of Astor Street totally exceeded my
Roseanna White
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure and honor of reading an advance copy of THE LOST GIRL OF ASTOR STREET--and can't wait to read it again!

Full of compelling characters, intricate twists, and some of my favorite literary elements--like the Roaring 20s, Chicago Mafia, and plenty of wit--LOST GIRL is what you'd get if you took Veronica Mars back in time to the 20s. Fabulous book that will keep the pages turning and have you thirsty for more!

Aimed at a young adult audience, THE LOST GIRL OF ASTOR STREET is great fo
Serethiel ☽ ✨

(Note: I read this book prior to its official release. It releases February seventh, 2017.)

Okay. Wow. Give me a moment to catch my breath.

The Lost Girl of Astor Street was amazing. It was riveting; the plot, characters, and writing style all meshed together so brilliantly, it was like magic. It seemed evident that Stephanie did her research, because the 1920s seemed so alive and pulsing, as if they had a heartbeat.

I do admit that it took me a chapter or two to get into it, seeing as it
Melissa
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This book didn't feel at all like Young Adult despite the protagonist being in her last year of secondary school. A good engrossing read. A Nancy Drew feel thrown back to the 1920s with WAY better writing. :)
Erin
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
1920's Chicago. When Lydia DeVine goes missing, her best friend Piper Sail will do whatever she can to solve the case. Luckily, Piper has a series of friends to help her including, her childhood playmate, Walter, her neighbors Emma and Jeremiah Crane, and the handsome Italian detective that makes Piper's heart do the Foxtrot.

It took me a few chapters to snuggle into the atmosphere and lingo of 20's Chicago, but once Lydia disappeared, I was hooked! Great characterization and a very strong femal
Alicia
I couldn't put this down! I was definitely pulled into the story right from the start. The twists and turns, family and friend dynamics and little details added layers to a story already brimming with excitement, sleuthing and excellent writing. Some of my questions in regards to the case weren’t answered by the end of the story, but otherwise the book exceeded my already high expectations. There was a strong cast of main and supporting characters, and Piper really grows as a person in the midst ...more
R. E. Banks
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pretty-good
The first half of the book was absolutely creepy and epic. But then the who-did-it became less exciting as it wasn't really a mystery anymore. I agree with Lisa when I say that the climax was kind of Nancy Drew-ish. Not as exciting as I had hoped, but I genuinely liked the MC Piper. She wasn't your typical "Oh, you can't get the door for me because I'm a GIRL. Are you implying I'm LESSER?" kind of touchy airhead and was more realistically independent. Though a bit reckless and naive sometimes, t ...more
Rachel McMillan
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, SO I really, really wanted to read The Lost Girl of Astor Street the moment I heard about it and I was savvy to have it on my radar, it turns out, because it exceeded expectations and then some.

If you like Veronica Mars, the Roaring Twenties, plenty of plot twists and knee-buckling romance, then let me invite you into Piper Sail's fully realized world of flappers and mob-men, danger and high-class sleuthery.

Piper Sail is a renowned lawyer's daughter and resident of the upscale Astor Street
Jazzy
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GOL-LY DAY.

That was *blows out breath* Woah.

Review to come...
Tricia Mingerink
This book is amazing! I couldn't put it down and literally read it in one day!

Due to some other books I've read, I was familiar with the setting of 1920s Chicago. The author keeps the setting very authentic without overwhelming the story.

And the plot line of this story...seriously wasn't expecting the one plot twist. I honestly thought this book was going to go a totally different direction than it did. Right in the feels!

Lydia Howe
Why I Choose this Book:

This is at least the fourth post in which I've talked about The Lost Girl of Astor Street in the last month, so you probably are getting tired of hearing how excited I am about it. The solution? Just read the book for yourself and see how cool it is. =)

Quick overview though: I've been wanting to read this book ever since Stephanie first mentioned she was writing it in 2014. I was intrigued right away, and the book did not disappoint.
What I Thought about this Book:

It was
Alexandra
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
This is the fastest I've read a book in a while. In her lovely writing style, Stephanie Morrill keeps her audience wrapped around her finger, scared to breathe before finding out what happens next.

I especially loved the description, and I felt like I was there in the 20s with Piper. Ms. Morrill got me into Piper's head right away. Although I didn't feel like I connected with the characters, they felt very real and it was mostly a personality thing.

I'd recommend "the Lost Girl of Astor Street"
Hannah White
I received an ARC of this book and I CANNOT WORDS.

I needed to wait a few days after reading to write this because just ... SO MANY FEELINGS AHHH.

Ehem. I'll do my usual review, only this is going to be more raving than usual because THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF EVER. I'm so glad I got an ARC of this, and just feel so blessed!

Three Things About The Lost Girl of Astor Street

1) THE CHARACTERS. CAN I JUST. SCREAM. FLAIL. ALDSJFJASDLFKJSDHFLKASDJ. flops wildly First off, Piper is a BOSS. In a
Galaxy Adventurer
What the book is about:
Lydia has vanished.
Lila Kims
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story, guys. Every element of it was SOLID. The characters were complex and felt so real, and the plot was gripping. The crisp writing style and 1920's setting drew me in from page 1.

I grinned. I gasped. I got punched in the feels. And I had fun trying to accurately predict the outcome of the mystery (I couldn't; it was too clever XD).

In short, The Lost Girl of Astor Street by no means disappointed!
Rachelle Cobb
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible novel! I could not wait to read Stephanie Morrill's latest release, but this book was even better than I expected. I was blown away by the attention to historical detail; I felt like I was walking up Astor Street in Chicago right along with Piper. The mystery of the main character's missing friend drew me in from Page One and kept me flipping pages as fast as I could right up until the end. Not to mention the budding romance between Piper and a certain handsome detective that ...more
Sarah Amelia
Won this is a giveaway the author did! This has in no way impacted my rating.

This was so good. The loved the more important part of friendship in this book. Definitely recommend if you like mysteries!
lisa elis
Okay, I finally finished this after having to reborrow it once it expired... and despite the fact it took me so long to read I like it very, very much.

One thing at a time...
The characters. They are quite amazing. I liked Piper. Sometimes I didn't relate - for example, how come she just didn't want her father to remarry? Her not liking the step-mother-to-be seems a bit cliche? But I admire her for her many other qualities - her love for Lydia, her bravery, her determination, her strong will, and
R.F. Gammon
4.5 Stars. This was a very good historical mystery/romance. I've wanted to read something of Stephanie Morrill's ever since I started following Go Teen Writers, and this one was at my library ;) So I read it, and it was excellent. My only bone to pick was that the ending made not-so-much sense, if you want to PM me I'd be more than happy to chat with you about it :) kudos to Morrill for writing a well-spun, suspenseful mystery! I enjoyed every page of it!
Elizabeth
I'm not sure how to rate this...

I really liked the author's writing style, I'll be looking forward to more of her books.
But, I didn't quite love the last half of the book. After a big reveal, it was almost like the mystery part of the book was but down for relationship drama with mystery sprinkled in. After all the relationship drama the ending felt kind of rushed. Maybe if I reread this I'll have a different perspective, knowing the ending and all.
Content wise, if this was a movie, it'd be rat
Hannah Mead
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
A wonderful historical mystery!

What a fascinating historical mystery. It captured my attention from the very beginning and I read it through breathlessly in 24 hours! Loved all the historical details so effortlessly added to the story - I felt like I really was in the 20s with Piper and the cast of characters. Also props for a very shippable couple, a very twist-filled mystery, a very relatable and realistic MC, and much emotion-wringing drama! I really enjoyed this book and will be looking for
Annette
I added a star for female friendship.
Annoying MC, anachronisms and predictable mystery is the reason why I can't give it a higher rating.
Abbie Jo
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-fiction
I'm kind of confused...And, you are not allowed to end a book like that. I need more. Please :)
Grace
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Reread 8/9/18**
EEEPPPPP!! I finally get to review this amazing, keep you on the edge, beautiful gem of a book today. This day has long been waited for, by myself. Seriously though, if you love Historical Fiction, Romance, or Mystery, this book is FOR YOU! (And, this book is for you even if you don’t fall into those categories)
Let’s start!
Plot: 100/5 (Maybe that’s a little much)
This. Plot. Is. Amazing. *a bajillion heart eyes* It tore me apart, made me *almost* cry (and I don’t do that) and als
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 30, 2017 09:04PM
  • Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter
  • Murder on Millionaires' Row (Rose Gallagher #1)
  • Diary of a Waitress: The Not-So-Glamorous Life of a Harvey Girl
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Unwritten Melody
  • A Deceptive Homecoming (Hattie Davish Mystery, #4)
  • A Front Page Affair (Kitty Weeks Mystery, #1)
  • Among the Poppies
  • Sing for Me
  • Banquet of Lies (Regency London, #2)
  • Rivals in the City (The Agency, #4)
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • The Secret Life of Anna Blanc
  • Love, Amalia
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • A Rumored Fortune
  • Still Waters
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more
“To love anyone is to risk.” 10 likes