Start by marking “Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders” as Want to Read:
Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders

Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders

In Hero Maker, you will learn how to bring real change to your church and community by developing the practical skills to help others reach their leadership potential.

Drawing on five powerful practices found in the ministry of Jesus, Hero Maker presents the key steps of apprenticeship that will build up other leaders and provide strategies for how you can:

activate the gift
Published March 13th 2018 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Hero Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Maker

Start your review of Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders
Tara Jessup
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It has some great principles in it but it reworks the same ideas over and over again.
Kory
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a book with useful stories and encouragement for church planting that is unfortunately built upon a false premise.

The most common error in church leadership books today is confusing the values of leadership and service. Carrying this mistake too far leads to churches that are feckless and confused because they build such massive organizational structures with various teams and have high/growing attendance, yet they are flagging in the three categories that tend to indicate strong discipl
B.J. Richardson
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to be a hero, or do you want to be a person creating heroes? This is the primary question in this book. Every pastor wants to grow a big church. This is in itself a noble goal. But Dave Ferguson wants us to shift our focus from growing churches to growing leaders who will grow many more churches than we could ever do on our own.

This book is very similar (but better IMO) to Exponential. That book is about churches planting churches, this covers much the same ground in the same way bu
George P.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Am I trying to be the hero, or am I trying to make heroes out of others?” Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird believe church leaders should ask this question daily if they want to develop a culture of multiplication in their congregations. To help leaders do this, the authors outline five essential practices of hero making: multiplication thinking, permission giving, disciple multiplying, gift activating and kingdom building. Hero Maker is a helpful book for any church leader who wants to do the “gre ...more
Megan Beck Wisener
Jul 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, ministry
Great book for ministry! Teaching leaders how to turn from growing their own ministry to growing the Capital C Church. Teaching leaders how to multiply growth by creating other leaders/disciple makers, rather than just add to their own ministry.

Great tips and content heavy
Sarah O'Toole
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I can’t recommend this book enough to ministry or marketplace leaders. It has more sticky notes, mark-ups, and notes than any other book I own - Bible aside. 🤪🙌

My only critique would be that amidst the dozens of stories, I would’ve loved to see more examples of women living out hero-making values.

Really excited for the way this book, with its foundation in Jesus’ disciple-making model and many stories, examples, and practical strategies, will shape my relationships and leadership as I grow as a
Robbie Deacon
May 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Succinct and practical book on how to create a multiplying church movement by shifting one’s focus onto intentional leadership development.
The author spends most of his time defining terms and giving the reader tools to develop leaders and create organizational culture. HeroMaker is also filled with supporting anecdotes and statistics to help the reader understand how effective multiplication practices can be.

This book is worth reading for those in any sphere of vocational ministry and has cha
Sam
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Movements are started by leaders who have died to their own success. Steve Addison
The secret is simple, You have to think about the kingdom of God more than yourself or even your church.
If we only focus on addition, we never get to multiplication
Hero makers know it’s all God’s so they say, How do I grow God’s church rather than my/our church?
Ask, Am I actually multiplying God’s kingdom?
Hero making is deferring your rewards until heaven.
Jesus spent 73% of his time with the 12 disciples. 46 even
Patrick
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Ferguson, Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders. (Zondervan, 2018).

Dave Ferguson is lead pastor at Community Christian Church in Chicago. This book challenges leaders to turn their focus from being a hero, with a focus on themselves and their own ministries to becoming “hero makers” as they focus on multiplication by developing other leaders.

The heart of the book is “five essential practices” for making heroes (multiplying leaders). They are:

Multiplication
Thomas
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
What I like about this book
It describes and details something that is missing in most work place and church organizations, a culture of mentorship. Over the past few generations we have lost this as a culture and we now expect most people to learn either in a class room setting or by watching youtube videos on their own. Most people don't really have someone that you can to go through life with sharing their experiences to help you navigate life's pitfalls. I have personally used the examples gi
Joel
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Do you want to be the hero or do you want to make heroes out of others.” The book is built around that question. Or you could sum it up with the Sandlot line: “remember kid, heroes get remembered, but legends never die.” It could have easily been 100 pages shorter and gotten across the same message, but overall it provides a strong challenge for ministry leaders. The challenge diverts from the typical managing your time and skills to maximize your results to equipping others to do more than you ...more
Gary Keisling
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book challenges Christians, especially those serving in positions of spiritual leadership, to intentionally engage in ICNU conversations noting the possibilities you see in the lives of others so they may fulfill their potential. A recurring theme Ferguson and Bird reiterate throughout the book is thinking in terms of multiplication instead of addition.

While the book includes a plethora of illustrations making this point one must first understand who they are and what God intends for them to
Ben Reynolds
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book on leadership and church planting that has left me with lots to think about - am I trying to be a hero or am I making heroes of others? Am I seeking first God's kingdom or my own kingdom? Is my focus on seating capacity or sending capacity? Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird do an outstanding job of reminding us about the centrality of the Great Commission and providing practical strategies for multiplying the presence of the kingdom by being a hero maker. ...more
Tim Genry
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’re a church leader or are interested in church leadership, read this book.
If the gathering of believers in Acts looks different than the gathering of believers you worship with, read this book.
If you’d like to help yourself and others move towards Jesus yet don’t know how, read this book.
If you want to be comfortable and you don’t want your vision of Jesus or His church to stretch you, don’t read this book.
Karen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Great book. I feel more empowered and encouraged to be a Hero Maker-- to constantly look to pour into others and develop them as leaders!

Have to give a shout out to two of my friends who were mentioned in this book on Page 196-- Kevin Pike and Bob Carlton-- and to my awesome church family-- Ridge Point Community Church-- all of which have helped shaped me into someone who desires to serve God by being a multiplying Hero Maker.
Wes Smith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is that it gives a clear vision of multiplication, good language to explain it, and very clear practical steps and ways to implement it.

I think the negative would be at times they try to tie biblical passages to leadership principles. Not that it is wrong to do but sometimes it seems like a little bit of a stretch and unnecessary.
Brooks Anderson
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s not a numbers book, but all the examples of success are about numbers.

I’ll chew the meat and spit out the bones. Some good stuff, some bad.
Austin Martin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for leadership development and processes. Could probably be distilled into a 20-30 page ebook to save the time.
Tommy Kiedis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Gold mine! Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird attach a sticky name (Hero Maker) to an important concept (leadership multiplication), and then offer a blueprint for making it an everyday leadership reality.

Hero Maker is so much more than a good idea. Hero Maker feels like I'm listening to leaders who have observed leadership multiplication, practiced it, reflected on it, taught it, and distilled the broader concept into five repeatable practices anyone can emulate.

Hero Maker is pragmatic, but it is
Daunavan Buyer
This was a great book! I highly recommend it to people who are looking to be challenged as a kingdom-minded leader. The main thrust of this book is to inspire leaders who want to help others rise above... for the sake of the kingdom. Many of us as church leaders are content with addition, but this book casts the vision of multiplication - leaders who are hero makers, championing others for the sake of God’s Kingdom being established. This book highlights leaders who are living this out while pro ...more
Otis
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What if we followers of Christ, really took to heart our commission from Jesus? What if we took to heart to multiply the family of God? This book is an excellent resource of what we should be striving to reach. That being as many souls as possible to tell him/her about our Hope. We have a motto at our church, it’s Win, Train, Send. In this book, it speaks volumes of how to successfully accomplish this great commission. Wonderfully informational impactful read.
Jeff Glenn
Mar 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I’ve read that inspires the process of discipleship and multiplication. Very practical. The legacy I will one day leave is not for others to remember my name, but the name of Jesus, and this book instructs on how to disciple in a 2 Timothy 2:2 way to impact God’s Kingdom that goes far beyond me. Moreover, it takes this process and extends it towards multiplying groups and churches: a movement for greater impact for The Gospel.
Logan Maloney
Apr 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Just incredible. This book wasn’t a book that completely revolutionized my thinking about multiplication in the church but it did change how important I see it is for us to do! It felt like as I was reading this book, I was being personally talked to and motivated to do this. This book also gave a great full picture of multiplication and the impact it can make on cities, countries, and the rest of the world. Everyone please read this!
Mark Youngkin
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The publisher of this book is positioning it as a leadership text, and I began reading it with that expectation. It is only sort of about leadership. What it's really about is church planting. So if you're interested in being a church planter, you'll likely benefit from this book a lot. It is only incidentally a book with leadership insights, but those insights are useful. ...more
Josh Samarco
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read. The "church" can tend to get away from multiplying, replicating, empowering and making disciples. Dave does a phenomenal job reminding readers of the importance of mentoring, disciple making and sending.

This is a book I will reference for years to come and it is a strategy/model for the church to implement. Give it a read if you want to be challenge to make hero's around you.
Alyssa Osegard
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how this book encourages you to take your leadership and do MORE with it. It's not about you - it's about expanding your leadership by multiplying it's effects through other people.

This book is intended for use primarily in the church, but I found most of it applicable to any sort of leadership in or out of the church.
Michael Hands
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential

I love this book. As a young CHristian church planter it gives practical and real world tools to be able to take Hero Making seriously. This is more than just a pithy idea - it is the foundation of how we will see the Kingdom of God grow - at least our part of that equation
Scott K.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Next Level Stuff

Thanks Dave & Warren for helping me get to the next level in my leadership thinking. My desire is to be a Hero Maker for the glory of God and the expansion of the Kingdom of Christ!
Chad Harris
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to be thinking about this book for a long time. It is a total blow to any personal ambition of ego you might have in ministry. Are you trying to be the hero or are you making other the hero? A question we must continually ask ourselves.
Jodi Browne nevins
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I agree with the premise of the book but not really the methodology. I am 4 chapters into the book Multipliers and it is much more along the lines of what I value as methodology. Plus it is backed by research - a dear friend. :)

• Live No Lies: Recognize and Resist the Three Enemies That Sabotage Your Peace
  • Lead: 12 Gospel Principles for Leadership in the Church
  • The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith
  • At Your Best: How to Get Time, Energy, and Priorities Working in Your Favor
  • Building a Discipling Culture
  • The Emotionally Healthy Leader: How Transforming Your Inner Life Will Deeply Transform Your Church, Team, and the World
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • MetaChurch: How to Use Digital Ministry to Reach People and Make Disciples
  • Family Discipleship: Leading Your Home Through Time, Moments, and Milestones
  • The Post-Quarantine Church: Six Urgent Challenges and Opportunities That Will Determine the Future of Your Congregation
  • Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • A Burning in My Bones: The Authorized Biography of Eugene H. Peterson, Translator of the Message
  • The Deeply Formed Life: Five Transformative Values to Root Us in the Way of Jesus
  • Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life