Start by marking “Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders” as Want to Read:
Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders

Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders

Everybody wants to be a hero, but few understand the power of being a hero maker.

In Hero Maker you will learn how to bring real change to your church and community by developing the practical skills to help others reach their leadership potential.

Drawing on five powerful practices found in the ministry of Jesus, Hero Maker presents the key steps of apprenticeship that will
Published March 13th 2018 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Hero Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Maker

Start your review of Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders
Tara Campbell
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It has some great principles in it but it reworks the same ideas over and over again.
B.J. Richardson
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to be a hero, or do you want to be a person creating heroes? This is the primary question in this book. Every pastor wants to grow a big church. This is in itself a noble goal. But Dave Ferguson wants us to shift our focus from growing churches to growing leaders who will grow many more churches than we could ever do on our own.

This book is very similar (but better IMO) to Exponential. That book is about churches planting churches, this covers much the same ground in the same way bu
George P.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Am I trying to be the hero, or am I trying to make heroes out of others?” Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird believe church leaders should ask this question daily if they want to develop a culture of multiplication in their congregations. To help leaders do this, the authors outline five essential practices of hero making: multiplication thinking, permission giving, disciple multiplying, gift activating and kingdom building. Hero Maker is a helpful book for any church leader who wants to do the “gre ...more
Ben Reynolds
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book on leadership and church planting that has left me with lots to think about - am I trying to be a hero or am I making heroes of others? Am I seeking first God's kingdom or my own kingdom? Is my focus on seating capacity or sending capacity? Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird do an outstanding job of reminding us about the centrality of the Great Commission and providing practical strategies for multiplying the presence of the kingdom by being a hero maker.
Brooks Anderson
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s not a numbers book, but all the examples of success are about numbers.

I’ll chew the meat and spit out the bones. Some good stuff, some bad.
Austin Martin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for leadership development and processes. Could probably be distilled into a 20-30 page ebook to save the time.
Sam
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Movements are started by leaders who have died to their own success. Steve Addison
The secret is simple, You have to think about the kingdom of God more than yourself or even your church.
If we only focus on addition, we never get to multiplication
Hero makers know it’s all God’s so they say, How do I grow God’s church rather than my/our church?
Ask, Am I actually multiplying God’s kingdom?
Hero making is deferring your rewards until heaven.
Jesus spent 73% of his time with the 12 disciples. 46 even
Kory
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a book with useful stories and encouragement for church planting that is unfortunately built upon a false premise.

The most common error in church leadership books today is confusing the values of leadership and service. Carrying this mistake too far leads to churches that are feckless and confused because they build such massive organizational structures with various teams and have high/growing attendance, yet they are flagging in the three categories that tend to indicate strong discipl
Tommy Kiedis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Gold mine! Dave Ferguson and Warren Bird attach a sticky name (Hero Maker) to an important concept (leadership multiplication), and then offer a blueprint for making it an everyday leadership reality.

Hero Maker is so much more than a good idea. Hero Maker feels like I'm listening to leaders who have observed leadership multiplication, practiced it, reflected on it, taught it, and distilled the broader concept into five repeatable practices anyone can emulate.

Hero Maker is pragmatic, but it is
Joel
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Do you want to be the hero or do you want to make heroes out of others.” The book is built around that question. Or you could sum it up with the Sandlot line: “remember kid, heroes get remembered, but legends never die.” It could have easily been 100 pages shorter and gotten across the same message, but overall it provides a strong challenge for ministry leaders. The challenge diverts from the typical managing your time and skills to maximize your results to equipping others to do more than you ...more
Daunavan Buyer
This was a great book! I highly recommend it to people who are looking to be challenged as a kingdom-minded leader. The main thrust of this book is to inspire leaders who want to help others rise above... for the sake of the kingdom. Many of us as church leaders are content with addition, but this book casts the vision of multiplication - leaders who are hero makers, championing others for the sake of God’s Kingdom being established. This book highlights leaders who are living this out while pro ...more
Otis
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What if we followers of Christ, really took to heart our commission from Jesus? What if we took to heart to multiply the family of God? This book is an excellent resource of what we should be striving to reach. That being as many souls as possible to tell him/her about our Hope. We have a motto at our church, it’s Win, Train, Send. In this book, it speaks volumes of how to successfully accomplish this great commission. Wonderfully informational impactful read.
Tim Genry
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’re a church leader or are interested in church leadership, read this book.
If the gathering of believers in Acts looks different than the gathering of believers you worship with, read this book.
If you’d like to help yourself and others move towards Jesus yet don’t know how, read this book.
If you want to be comfortable and you don’t want your vision of Jesus or His church to stretch you, don’t read this book.
Karen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Great book. I feel more empowered and encouraged to be a Hero Maker-- to constantly look to pour into others and develop them as leaders!

Have to give a shout out to two of my friends who were mentioned in this book on Page 196-- Kevin Pike and Bob Carlton-- and to my awesome church family-- Ridge Point Community Church-- all of which have helped shaped me into someone who desires to serve God by being a multiplying Hero Maker.
Mark Youngkin
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The publisher of this book is positioning it as a leadership text, and I began reading it with that expectation. It is only sort of about leadership. What it's really about is church planting. So if you're interested in being a church planter, you'll likely benefit from this book a lot. It is only incidentally a book with leadership insights, but those insights are useful.
J. Scott Samarco
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read. The "church" can tend to get away from multiplying, replicating, empowering and making disciples. Dave does a phenomenal job reminding readers of the importance of mentoring, disciple making and sending.

This is a book I will reference for years to come and it is a strategy/model for the church to implement. Give it a read if you want to be challenge to make hero's around you.
Wes Smith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is that it gives a clear vision of multiplication, good language to explain it, and very clear practical steps and ways to implement it.

I think the negative would be at times they try to tie biblical passages to leadership principles. Not that it is wrong to do but sometimes it seems like a little bit of a stretch and unnecessary.
Alyssa Osegard
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how this book encourages you to take your leadership and do MORE with it. It's not about you - it's about expanding your leadership by multiplying it's effects through other people.

This book is intended for use primarily in the church, but I found most of it applicable to any sort of leadership in or out of the church.
Michael Hands
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential

I love this book. As a young CHristian church planter it gives practical and real world tools to be able to take Hero Making seriously. This is more than just a pithy idea - it is the foundation of how we will see the Kingdom of God grow - at least our part of that equation
Scott K.
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Next Level Stuff

Thanks Dave & Warren for helping me get to the next level in my leadership thinking. My desire is to be a Hero Maker for the glory of God and the expansion of the Kingdom of Christ!
Chad Harris
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to be thinking about this book for a long time. It is a total blow to any personal ambition of ego you might have in ministry. Are you trying to be the hero or are you making other the hero? A question we must continually ask ourselves.
Jodi Browne nevins
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I agree with the premise of the book but not really the methodology. I am 4 chapters into the book Multipliers and it is much more along the lines of what I value as methodology. Plus it is backed by research - a dear friend. :)
Loey Wittink
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I agree with some of the reviews I am reading below. It's a great and important concept for the church going forward to be multiplying leaders. However, the same concepts come back time and time again
Damon Hawkins
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and challenging. Well organized detailed framework that is Biblically based. I'm ready to become a Hero Maker!
Aaron Shamp
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Very practical book on doing leadership development in the church. You could apply it to a variety of ministries, though the focus is on church planting.
Ryan Hoover
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My family & I are in training to plant a church; THIS is what I want our future church to look like! ...more
Amy Jacobsen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed Exponential book and this one was just as good. Great mix of theory and practice. I look forward to applying this and reading with teams I lead. I want to be a Heromaker not the Hero!
Josh Wood
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has really challenged me to stop reading, stop pontificating and start leading. Start doing, and recognise that leadership takes sacrifice.
Joel Stockstill
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-changing

Every leader must read this book. It will challenge and convict you. You were called for more and here is the guide to how!!
Toria
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good thought provoking book. It has some good points, however, the way it is worded in some areas can make it seem like it is saying something else.

• Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • Letters to the Church
  • Woke Church: An Urgent Call for Christians in America to Confront Racism and Injustice
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)
  • Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters
  • Faith for Exiles: Five Ways to Help Young Christians Be Resilient, Follow Jesus, and Live Differently in Digital Babylon
  • Deep and   Wide: Creating Churches Unchurched People Love to Attend
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • Designed to Lead: The Church and Leadership Development
  • Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live.
  • Supernatural: What the Bible Teaches about the Unseen World - And Why It Matters
  • The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together