Start by marking “Reflections by Rosa Parks: The Quiet Strength and Faith of a Woman Who Changed a Nation” as Want to Read:

On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of a city bus in Montgomery, Alabama. She was not trying to start a movement. She was simply tired of the social injustice. Yet, her simple act of courage started a chain of events that forever shaped the landscape of American race relations.

Now, decades after her quiet defiance inspired the modern civil rights mo
Published January 9th 2018 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Reflections by Rosa Parks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflections by Rosa Parks

Start your review of Reflections by Rosa Parks: The Quiet Strength and Faith of a Woman Who Changed a Nation
Beth Lind
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars for Rosa Parks

This is a short book with a bit of history about her and more of a focus on the biblical teachings that shaped her as a person. I love her optimism and focus on improvement. Also, she never set out to be the mother of the Civil Rights movement, but she handled the role with humility and diplomacy.
Tori
3 stars for the read, but 5 stars for the person.

Reflections by Rosa Parks: The Quiet Strength and Faith of a Woman Who Changed a Nation is a short read by Mrs. Parks herself, a series of vignettes and essays about her approach to life and fighting injustice – essentially where she draws her strength.

As someone who truly didn’t know that much about Rosa Parks before reading this book, it was illuminating for me – and sad in a way, that I didn’t learn about her life in school the way I should hav
Alaase Mahalah
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While reading the quiet reflections of Rosa Parks, her strength caressed my mind like a mother's love. A mother's love for her people screams out through every passage. I am more grateful to this goddess than I ever was before and she'd already given me so many reasons to be grateful to her. Rosa's legacy is much greater than that Dec. 1 when she didn't leave her seat on that bus! Her wisdom lives on in the pages of this book and now forever in my heart!
Madlyn
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good reading
Michel  Knowles
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rosa Parks was a huge catalyst for the Civil Rights movement. She wasn’t even trying to be. She just did what she felt was right.
Adam Shields
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Very brief thoughts by Rosa Parks about her life.

I noticed this book was on sale for Black History month and realized that I had never read the copy that I purchased last year when it was on sale. Reflections by Rosa Parks is a book you want to buy when it is on sale. It is not that it is a bad book, but it is a very short book. The physical book is the 6 by 7 gift-book size. The audiobook is 80 minutes long.

Despite its short length, it is worth reading. Rosa Parks was in her 80s when
Leah Good
As a young adult, I read widely about topics like the Underground Railroad and the Civil Rights movement. Books like Breakthrough to the Big League caused me to respect and desire to emulate people of history who showed character and dignity as they fought for freedom, equality, and respect.

This book by Rosa Parks reminded me why I respected these people. Not that I ceased to respect them, but my memory was a bit rusty. In this book, Rosa shares her experiences and imparts her wisdom to a new ge
Rosa
Words to live by: "For certain causes, we are one—for others, we are not. We must learn to work together. No one can effectively fight for justice alone."

"...when I feel discouraged, I read Psalm 23 to restore my soul:
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will
Raymond  Maxwell
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They say this book, originally published under the title "Quiet Strength," is a book of thoughts Mrs. Parks collected and wrote for children. It seems pretty "grown up" to me.

Writers like Zora Hurston and August Wilson point out that the interior life of black people is something to be celebrated and valued and worthy of art. This book of Rosa Parks's internal thoughts about life and living certainly contributes to that mission.

Reading it to prepare a talk for visitors to the Rosa Parks exhibi
Jacqueline
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, memoir
Very short reflections and words of advice from civil rights hero Rosa Parks. I would have liked to hear more about her experiences working with the NAACP, Rev. King, the bus boycott, etc., but the book is more a quick compilation of her encouragement for those fighting for justice and equality. Her concern about the rise of white supremacy on college campus feels particularly on-the-mark today, years later.
Lori
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational, essays
This is a quick book by Rosa Parks. She offers reflections on different topics and what she has learned in her life. She is known for her refusal to surrender her seat to a white passenger in 1955 Alabama. She is still a brave smart lady and this book offers her opinions on faith, her fears, values, role models etc. I liked getting to read her book and learning more about her.
Andrea Selaty
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short little book packed full of wisdom. Love her voice!
Michelle
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Although I liked learning more about Mrs. Parks, I wish the essays had been more in-depth.
Amy Neil
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much wisdom from this amazing woman!
Jem
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was much better than expected, it was really amazing reading about such a strong yet humble woman who made an enormous impact on history
Judy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forever inspiring.
Kourtney
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-wrap-up
Rosa Parks has always inspired me and I’m so glad I read this book.

In this book we read short essays on Rosa Parks thoughts and opinions on racism and her experience on that city bus and beyond.

The short essays weren’t to in depth but provide enough that I was satisfied. I feel like Parks left a piece of herself in this book which made it a beautiful memoir. Four stars.
robert
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Mud Read

What a beautifully written book. You can't help but feel her genuine words lift your spirits and make you want to do better to keep her amazing legacy going.
April
Feb 01, 2018
Jeremy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
These are some short reflections by Rosa Parks about her life's work. She is woman full of courage and character. It would benefit us all to sit back and listen to her reflections. The character and resolve that gave rise to her refusal to move to the back of the bus are on full display.
Marcus Mitchell

• Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever
  • Let Us Compare Mythologies
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Third Angel
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock #2)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • 37 Seconds: Dying Revealed Heaven's Help--A Mother's Journey
  • The Meal Jesus Gave Us: Understanding Holy Communion
  • Genesis: A Living Conversation (PBS Series)
  • Everyone Is Entitled to My Opinion
  • The Letters
  • All We Know of Heaven
  • Genesis: A New Translation of the Classic Bible Stories
  • Porch Talk: Stories of Decency, Common Sense, and Other Endangered Species (Porch Talk series, #1)
  • Hills Like White Elephants - A theatre script
  • If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1)
  • No Tougher Duty, No Greater Honor: A memoir of a Mortuary Affairs Marine
Rosa Louise McCauley Parks was an African American civil rights activist whom the U.S. Congress later called the "Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement."

On December 1, 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama, Parks, age 42, refused to obey bus driver James Blake's order that she give up her seat to make room for a white passenger. Her action was not the first of its kind: Irene Morgan, in 1946, and S

News & Interviews