Start by marking “Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles” as Want to Read:
Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles

Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles

Geoff Emerick became an assistant engineer at the legendary Abbey Road Studios in 1962 at age fifteen, and was present as a new band called the Beatles recorded their first songs. He later worked with the Beatles as they recorded their singles “She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” the songs that would propel them to international superstardom. In 1964 he would wi ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Avery Publishing Group (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Here, There and Everywhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here, There and Everywhere

Start your review of Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
Paul Bryant
Nov 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: beatles
Like a lot of books about music this is appallingly (ghost)written, with ghastly cliches and corny embarrassing dialogue all over the place which is impossible to believe of course (why do people think they have to invent 40 year old dialogue anyway?) but the fact remains Geoff Emerick was there, he engineered those sessions, he saw, he remembered, and he's still alive. So for a Beatle fan like me, it's a must-read, and there are very few must-read Beatle books.

What do we learn?

Well, nothing te
charlie
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can only review from the pov of a complete Beatles geek. I have read most of the biographies by various journos and hangers on... and i love the music pure and simple... thats the context.

This is my favorite of them all (shout out to Philip Nolan's Shout bio tho). Its the stories I really wanted to know... not the chisme about who did drugs and who was gay - its about the creation of the music sonically. And what is happening behind the scenes when the songs we have heard a million times befor
Chris
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but I'm also the type that enjoys anything related to the Beatles. Emerick's insider view of many of the recordings sessions informs on the Beatles working and personal dynamics. He's clearly most enamored with Paul McCartney which at times seemed to interfere with objectivity of his stories. But his opinions are obvious and therefore easy to ignore if they annoy you like they did me.

I wasn't aware how inseparable John and Yoko actually were. Yoko even had a bed set u
Ed Wagemann
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lately I'm starting to believe that 90% of what makes a good book is the subject matter and the other 10% is the author not being a total ass hat. In Geoff Emerick's Here There and Everywhere it would be hard pressed to find a subject matter that is more interesting to me right now. Emerick was like 15 years old when he started working for EMI and participating on Beatle recordings. He was there in fact for the first ever Beatle recording and eventually became the sound engineer for all of their ...more
Jim Cooper
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got the opportunity to meet the author a few years ago, but this was my first time reading his book, and it is an excellent look at the Beatles from a unique perspective. Emerick was an engineer on most of the Beatles music at Abbey Road, and later at Apple. He never tries to explain or report on anything about the Beatles from outside his experiences with them - in the studio, working on albums. But this is perfect, as it gives us a look at the band that you aren’t going to get anywhere else. ...more
Anton
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Priceless treasure trove of Beatles engineering, musical, psychological, and gossipy tidbits, written by the greatest engineer of pop music, who was instrumental in creating Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and Abbey Road. Also a great window into the Abbey Road recording culture of the 60s and recording history in general. He comes off as an amiable guy with excellent ears, good will, and a great memory. None of the Beatles escape quite unscathed, but it's nice to see them described as normal moody hum ...more
Steven Peterson
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting look inside the work and world of a recording engineer. Here, especially interesting because the author worked with the Beatles on several of their albums. The reader learns a little about the tricks of the trade of an engineer, how an engineer can shape music and its presentation to the tastes of the artists, and the pressures that go with the job.

Much of the book features the author's description of his work with the Beatles from earlier recordings to the transformationa
Brian
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Definitely not a book for the casual Beatles fan. Emerick was 'balance engineer" on their first, last and most Beatles recordings in between. He knows where the mic's were placed, how the sounds were gotten on those ground-breaking mid/late period recordings. He knows John was an angry guy, Yoko had no business being there, Paul was a pushy pain in the ass (100+ takes of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da would drive any sane person to murder). He never really spoke to George or Ringo, and he seems to have thou ...more
Dave
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
If George Martin is the 5th Beatle that would certainly make Geoff Emerick the 6th Beatle. Emerick's autobiography mainly details his time as The Beatles engineer and this book provided very keen insight from him about the lads, the recordings, the politics, and everything else that went on during his time working at EMI.
Emerick found some records in a closet at his grandmother's house and immediately fell in love with not only sound and albums, but music which he always perceived as visual im
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic book that every Beatles fan should read. It makes you feel like you are in the recording studio with them as they record their greatest albums, work endless hours to achieve a specific "sound" and fight over a digestive biscuit. I have a new appreciation for all their albums and the recording process in general. I wish this book was written when I was a teenager, because I would have set out to become a sound engineer, like Geoff Emerick.

PS. It's hard to read this book quickly because
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As a Beatle fan for over 40 years I have read about them extensively. I have seen "Engineered by Geoff Emerick" on many Beatles albums and also heard him mentioned in other Beatles books. When a "Beatles Insider" writes a book, that is the one I will buy. This book was an absolute treasure. Mr. Emerick was present at the very first Beatles recording at EMI/Abbey Road Studios, and also engineered their very last album "Abbey Road". His story is an incredible one, and he tells it so humbly. Imagin ...more
Dane
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book cueing up each song as the making of it was being discussed and listening repeatedly. Geoff Emerick gives such great detail about song after song, album after album, and that is the strength of this book. I will never forget the story, for instance about the recording of the two orchestral effects in A Day In the Life; before, they were just among the many interesting sounds on Sgt. Pepper. Now I listen intently to them, fascinated and smiling like an idiot.

There are also lots
David Sawyer
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Do you consider yourself a Beatles fan? Then you need to read this book. This is doubly true if you have any interest whatsoever in how music is made and recorded.

Emerick was the audio engineer for Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, part of The White Album, and lots of The Fab Four's singles. In the book, he recounts his experiences recording The Beatles. You read about his observations about the individual bandmembers' personalities, and most interestingly, about how the band's creative process
Kevin
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book which really surprised me. I was a fan of the Beatles so I thought I'd enjoy the book, but what surprised me the parts I liked the most was when the author was explaining how he the engineer got the sounds that the band was looking for. So come read it for the music but stay to find out about sound engineers.

After his descriptions of Revolution and Sgt. Peppers I had to stop reading and go listen to the albums so I could hear for myself what Emerick is describing.
Mark McKenny
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just fantastic. Surely a MUST READ for any Beatles fan.
Malcolm
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geoff Emerick has the privilege of being the man who can claim to have done more direct engineering for the Beatles and subsequently the solo artists than anybody else. He also can boast some serious chops as a gifted engineer in his own right.

In the book, he talks about his experiences, primarily in the control room during sessions, in and around the Beatles. Imagine that your job involved something historic happening over there, in the conference room, and now you're able to tell stories about
Michael
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Geoff Emerick was the Beatles engineer from the very first record to the magical Sgt Pepper sessions to the horrifying White Album sessions. This book reveals candidly the good, the bad, and the ugly, including George Martin replacing Ringo with an uncredited session drummer, Yoko in bed in the studio, the disastrous trip to India, how Ringo (literally) destroyed the Apple studio, recording "Band on the Run" in a spider infested Nigerian studio, working with Paul the day John died, etc. There's ...more
Tosh
Nov 17, 2007 rated it liked it
It's a fascinating document or a bird's eye view of what was happening in the recording sessions with the Beatles. The one thing that turns me off is the author's almost total disregard for George Harrison's personality and songs. Without a doubt he is an important part of the Beatles machinery, and to dismiss Harrison' work seems ... silly. But still it's interesting commentary from one of the chief Beatle engineers.
Charlie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was spectacular! I loved learning about recording the Beatles, and even though I heard their songs a billion times, Geoff Emerick would talk about a certain technique and the result which made me go back to whatever song he was referring to and listen to it again. The book definitely helped me hear new things in Beatles songs that I haven't thought twice about before and it made me love the songs even more! I highly recommend this book to any Beatles fan or any musician as I am both.
Daniel
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most comprehensive tales of Beatles' history from an insider. Geoff Emerick didn't waste time on gossip and focused on telling the story from a more technical and creative viewpoint. Easily among the top three Beatle books ever written.
Jennifer Ozawa
This guy is really impressed with himself. He breathlessly recounts every moment he spends with Paul McCartney and can’t quite stop relaying his impression of George as lesser-than, as second-rate.
Alan
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was going to give this book 2 stars because it's full of cliché and self promotion. However I was fascinated by the old Beatle story, even though it is as familiar to me now as my own family's. Just another angle on the amazing - almost unbelievable - history of the four Scousers, who changed the whole world. I didn't learn much that was new, except a lot of technical detail about how sounds were achieved. This was the man who created the drum effect on Tomorrow Never Knows, and made Lennon so ...more
Henrik Warne
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Geoff Emerick was the recording engineer on many of the Beatles records, such as Revolver, Sergeant Pepper and Abbey Road (and parts of the White Album). The book has a ton of interesting details on how the records were made, and about the personalities of the four Beatles.
In particular it was extremely interesting to learn how they experimented and developed new sounds on Revolver and Sergeant Pepper. There is also a lot of information about John, Paul, George and Ringo, and many other people i
Andrew Peacock
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In some ways this may be the best book on the Beatles there is. Unlike most who write about the fab four, he was there. Emerick understands their music like no one outside the group and George Martin. While you may not agree with some of his opinions on the individual members of the band, he knows what he's talking about. No matter how much you have read about the Beatles, there will be something new for you in this book.
Zoann
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This old baby boomer loved the behind-the-scenes look at The Beatles. I especially liked the author's matter-of-fact, objective view of the men--not saying what they should have been, just saying what they were.

My only complaint--any audio book about music or musicians should, by law, have to include the music they are writing about. I so often wanted to pause the cd and go listen to the music the author was referencing. Lucky, there's Youtube for that. I did start listening to all 217 Beatles'
Michael Platt
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended. Great stories from one of the Beatles primary recording engineers. Some of the stories don't jibe with other sources, interestingly but there is some fascinating insight into the recording process and how the recording business worked then. Sadly, Geoff Emerick passed away recently. A definite "should read" if you're a Beatles fanatic.
Paul Lyons
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Written by Geoff Emerick and Howard Massey... Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles takes you inside the world of The Beatles in the recording studio from 1962 to 1970. Geoff Emerick was only 15 years old when he started as an assistant sound engineer at EMI Studios in London (now known as Abbey Road studios), and was there in the control room when John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr first laid down tracks together in 1962. Under the tut ...more
Bob Lee
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love music, I love recording, I love creativity, I love the Beatles. This book was wonderful to read and learn about Geoff Emerick's experiences working as a recording engineer with the Beatles. As I progressed through the book, I listened to Beatles songs anew and heard things I hadn't noticed before.
Marlan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inside some of the magic - how songs were mixed, sounds created, etc. and stories of the greatest group ever. Well told.
Jeff
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a fascinating look behind the scenes at the Beatles' recording sessions. It's a good insight into their personalities, their creative process, how songs were shaped and ultimately recorded, etc. I would have given it five stars except I felt that Mr. Emerick took way too many cheap shots at George Harrison and, to a lesser degree, Ringo Starr. But, that aside, it is a very interesting read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Life
  • Living in the Material World: George Harrison
  • John Lennon: The Life
  • Who I Am
  • Tune In (The Beatles: All These Years, #1)
  • The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles
  • The Beatles
Geoff Emerick was an English recording studio audio engineer, who is best known for his work with The Beatles' albums Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles and Abbey Road. He is widely regarded as one of the best audio engineers in all of recording history.

News & Interviews

“It was down to me—not George Martin, not anyone else—to turn the Beatles’ new vision into a reality.” 1 likes
“The White Album was released in November 1968 to mixed reviews. Some people consider it their favorite Beatles album. Personally, I think it’s their least inspired effort, and I find it difficult to listen to. Of course, that may have a lot to do with my knowing the circumstances behind it. Unless you have nurtured an album, crafted it, lived with it every day, it’s just a piece of plastic with some songs on it. But if you’re aware of people’s talents and you see them just crumble and destroy themselves, it’s tough to deal with. I” 0 likes