Start by marking “How to Land a Plane (Little Ways to Live a Big Life)” as Want to Read:
How to Land a Plane (Little Ways to Live a Big Life)

How to Land a Plane (Little Ways to Live a Big Life)

Hello! Welcome! Wow, you look surprisingly relaxed. That's great to see. Have a seat on the left side of the cockpit - that's the captain's seat. Yes, you're now the captain. And yes, that's the runway down there. So fasten your seat belt, order yourself a cup of tea, and let's get cracking.

Imagine the pilot of the plane you're on is suddenly ill. Only you can take over. W
Published September 21st 2017 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about How to Land a Plane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Land a Plane

Start your review of How to Land a Plane (Little Ways to Live a Big Life)
Biblio Files (takingadayoff)
After enjoying Vanhoenacker's Skyfaring, I was looking forward to more. How to Land a Plane is a short (about 60 pages) book that describes in detail how to land a plane. He goes into the aerodynamics, the flight controls, the things that should happen, and the things that might go wrong. He does this in a clear, easy to understand way, occasionally with humor. It's a good book for anyne who is curious about the mechanics of flying, but who isn't going to be going to flight school right away. Wh ...more
Steve
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Educational and very stressful! I hope I never have to land a plane! So much respect for pilots!
Mikko Saari
Ihan justiinsa sitä, mitä lupaakin: kirja on peruskurssi siihen, miten matkustajalentokoneella laskeudutaan. Tyyli on leppoisa ja hauska, tämä on enemmän viihdekirja kuin tosikkomainen opas.

Sen verran pienikin tämä kirja on, etten ihan näillä opeilla lähtisi vapaaehtoiseksi laskeutumaan koneella. Sellainen fiilis kuitenkin jäi, että simulaattorissa tehtävää voisi ollakin mielenkiintoista kokeilla. Lentokoneen lentämisestä saa tästä sellaisen kuvan, ettei se nyt niin vaikeaa ole – ja samalla sell
Yedhu
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is exactly what the title says. I'm a fan of Mark Vanhoenacker and his other book, Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot, which is a poetic narration of his experience of flying. While Skyfaring gives an overall idea about flying industry, aircrafts, airports, passengers and crew, this one focuses just on the airplane. If you are interested in the technical details of how a plane flies and how it lands, this book is for you. It's wonderful and short, and you can finish it in an hour. ...more
Theediscerning
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I nailed it. You know the feeling when you approach a book thinking what it will be like – and getting it exactly correct? I thought this would be a finely balanced mixture of sincere and light-hearted; an appreciation that you will never need to land a Boeing 747, but at the same time a book that gives you an appreciation for those that do, and some inkling as to what it might be like. I was expecting a book that proves the adult non-fiction market really doesn't have to limit itself to th ...more
Heli
"Useimmat pilotit ovat yhtä mieltä siitä, että laskeutuminen on haastavampaa kuin lentoonlähtö."

Tämä kiva pikku opaskirja neuvoo, kuinka lentokoneella (esim. Cessna 152) pääsee laskeutumaan sitten, kun sillä oletettavasti on ensin päässyt ilmaan. Kirja toki kannattaa kuitenkin lukea kokonaan ennen lentoonlähtöä, koska se on yhtenäistä tekstiä eikä juuri sovi selailtavaksi tai silmäiltäväksi.

Kuvitus on havainnollistavaa ja melko selkeää. Kirjoittajan tyyli on tarkoitukseen sopivan pedagoginen ja
Amanda
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick (and humbling and somewhat overwhelming) read on how to land a plane. While well and entertainingly written, I now further believe I could never save a planeful of people in an emergency situation! MEGA thanks to all the pilots out there who ferry millions of people safely through the skies. A cute and informative read. :)
Barry Avis
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite the follow up to his first book but as a quick and interesting read it is a good book. I read this on a short holiday so paid a little more interest to what our plane was doing as we approached Stansted airport on the way home.
Not sure I would recommend for anyone unless you have read his first book.
juliet
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting read

While I am not a pilot and barely have knowledge of how a plane works, this book is surprisingly easy to read. There are also graphics in the book to facilitate understanding of basic plane instruments, the PAPI system, etc. I enjoyed reading it and will recommend anyone who is keen to find out what’s happening in the cockpit during their flight.
Joel
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
good short book on, as he said, how to land a plane. I read Skyfaring and really liked the mix of technical/scientific inormation on flight and the "poetry" of flying. This book is not poetic but it does answer questions I had about what.....how to land a plane. Fun.
Chris
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick and breezy read on the basics of airplane flying for the layman. As other reviewers have mentioned, this book lacks the poetic nature of his first outing, but that's not really his goal here. Mark Vanhoenacker is the Ernest K. Gann of our generation.
John Kaye
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sent me back to my flight simulator! A nice short read, nothing exciting, but I'm due a few short reads after hitting my target! Doesn't have the lyricism of Skyfaring, though.

One of two more short reads to come.
T Olsen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A small book with a light tone and very easy to understand technical descriptions. I'm going to download it to my smartphone (just in case).
James Raymond
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
informative and humorous, I loved reading this book.
Ricardo A. Baila
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A British humoured description on the basics of how to land a plane
Francis Tapon
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book lives up to its promise.
I hope I never have to test my knowledge, but this is a must-read for those who fly small planes.
Espen Nilsen
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and interesting read
D
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Instructional and humorous, I loved it. Can’t wait to see what the author will write next!
Martin Barry
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros:
- sharply written, easy read
- thorough explanation of flight and landing

Cons:
- likely nothing new for most aviation geeks
- left wanting more
Carol Buchter
Exactly as the title promises.
His previous book Skyfaring was a much more compelling read.
Antonio Santoyo
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too shallow, too reader friendly. Almost every question I had rested unanswered.
Sophie Brown
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie isn’t a great flyer, although she does adore commercial aircraft and is a regular plane spotter; it’s just the whole actual being in the air bit that makes her a little nervous. That’s why she found the concept of Mark Vanhoenacker’s short book How to Land a Plane so interesting. It begins with the premise that you have suddenly found yourself in sole charge of landing the aircraft you are currently on board and attempts to talk you through the process.

Mark starts out by introducing you t
Pawel Szymczak
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short book about aviation basics and how to land a plane. Just it.
Mikkel
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It introduced me to some subjects I hadn't heard/thought of before, and I am now more confident in my ability to land an airplane (if the pilots decide they don't want to).
Nicholas Wilson
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sully: My Search for What Really Matters
  • The Killing Zone: How & Why Pilots Die
  • Coders: The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
  • The Man Who Discovered Antarctica: Edward Bransfield Explained - The First Man to Find and Chart the Antarctic Mainland
  • Big Debt Crises
  • One Million Followers: How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days
  • The Mile End Murder
  • Being a Writer: Advice, Musings, Essays and Experiences From the World's Greatest Authors
  • Supernova Era
  • QF32
  • Cross Country: A 3,700-Mile Run to Explore Unseen America
  • The Guide for Every Screenwriter: From Synopsis to Subplots: The Secrets of Screenwriting Revealed
  • Actually, the Comma Goes Here: A Practical Guide to Punctuation
  • The Books of Enoch: Complete edition: Including (1) The Ethiopian Book of Enoch, (2) The Slavonic Secrets and (3) The Hebrew Book of Enoch
  • Good White Racist?: Confronting Your Role in Racial Injustice
  • Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • Un año en la antigua Roma: La vida cotidiana de los romanos a través de su calendario

News & Interviews