Start by marking “Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy” as Want to Read:
Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy

Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy

A cozy book perfect for sharing at bedtime or breakfast

As Harry and Gran head home for supper, Daddy’s day is just getting started. Daddy is in London, working as a conductor on an overnight train headed for Penzance, while Harry and the rest of his family stay cozy in their seaside cottage. As Daddy bustles around the train, Harry’s day is winding down with dinner, card g
Published April 16th 2018 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy

Donna Maguire
This was a really fun book with a cute story and some brilliant images.

This is definitely a book that I would read with my daughter as her daddy works shifts and it will explain to her why we are having breakfast when he is going to bed!
Cassandra
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A split view day in the life story about Harry, and his father. The story starts off with Harry and his family getting settled in for the evening, while Harry's father leave for his overnight job as a train attendant. The story continues throughout the night and into the morning showing a split view of what Harry and his father are up to, ending with their reunion in the morning. A very sweet story, with beau
Etienne
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story, nothing out of the ordinary, but it bring the notion of night working, and there, it can be use to explain to a child why is night working and why his mom or dad has to go away at night to work.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cute book is about a loving family, where Daddy works nights and when he comes home, after dinner and a reunion with the family, he goes to bed. Daddy works on a train as a conductor and as the story plays out, we see the various jobs he does throughout the night to assist the passengers. At the same time, we see Harry and the rest of the family at home, eating dinner, participating in evening activities and eventually going to bed. The tow stories are shown side by side. Of course as Harry ...more
Robin Morgan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I received a hardcover copy of this book from the publisher through a giveaway they had on LibraryThing, and the following is my honest opinion.

While all families are usually doing things together from the time they get up, wash, get dressed and have breakfast. The father then goes off to work and the children, if any, get ready for school or start having another day of fun and play. But Harry’s family is a little different because Harry’s father goes to work at night.

I found this book by Katy B
Carrie Charley Brown
The artwork style and color, as well as the lyrical text capture the calming love that this family holds dear despite the challenges of opposite schedules. Even though Dad works all night long and sleeps all day, the family clearly embraces their lifestyle and appreciates his job as a gift. This makes the morning reunion more joyous. Having a connection to this family dynamic at one point in my own life, I yearned to see how this family's schedule might have worked while Dad sleeps during the da ...more
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
Poongothai
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Daddy works on the night train and the story is about how Harry's night goes and how Daddy's night goes.
Illustrations are beautiful.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher
Bruce
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Morning, Harry, Good Night, Daddy, by Katy Beebe, is an illustrated children’s story about a family with an unorthodox schedule. The father works on a train at night, while his children are asleep. When his shift is over he returns home to sleep and that’s when the day begins for his family.
The artwork created by Valeri Gorbachev is superb, with soft tones, varied colors, and plentiful detail. It is soothing to the eyes and attractive in every respect. Some of the text rhymes, and some doe
Jimmy
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book about a family in which the father works all night as a train conductor while the child name Harry and the rest of his family is at home. The book parallels the family at home with the dad at work; great comparison and contrasts for the kids as you read to them. Parents who have to work graveyard shift would appreciate reading this book to their young ones. Even if the parents work regular day shift can benefit reading this book to their kids to teach them that some people have to work at ...more
Storywraps
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This charming book is about a loving family. Daddy works all through the night being a conductor on a train. He can't wait to get home to his sweet family and spend some morning time ( and his evening time) with them.

Daddy works out of London and he knows that his dear ones are safely nestled in a seaside cottage along the sands of Sennan Cove. He works hard during his midnight shift, serving the passengers aboard the train making sure they are comfortable and all their needs are met. With the h
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy by Katy Beebe, illustrated by Valeri Gorbachev. PICTURE BOOK. Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2018. $16. 9780802854506.

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE-K, EL(K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

As Harry heads home for the night with his grandma, mother and younger brother, his dad is headed off to work in London. Their stories run parallel as Dad goes through his working hours and Harry gets ready for bed and sleeps through the night. When the morning comes, Harry is
Paul Franco
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this story a little boy goes through life with mom, grandma, brother, and dog, while his father works as a conductor on an overnight train. They meet at the end of the book, in the morning.
Interesting rhymes. I found it strange that the kid just goes through life as though this situation was normal—probably doesn’t know any better—and not once does the story mention he’s missing his dad.
Bright enjoyable artwork, especially the first drawing, with a landscape full of birds and a setting sun, t
Richelle Zirkle
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book with great illustrations. Harry is a little boy who spends his time in a cottage by the sea with his parents, baby and grandmother. While Harry and the rest of the family sleep through the night and are awake through the day, Harry's dad works the night shift on the sleeper train from London to Cornwall. This story, while good in it's own right, would be a nice share with children whose parents do shift work or have less traditional jobs.

I received an ARC in exchange for my h
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, net-galley
'Good Morning, Harry - Good Night, Daddy' tells the story of young Harry and gran who head home to get ready for bed, whilst Harry's daddy's day is just getting started, in his work as an overnight train conductor. The story alternates page by page between Harry's story and his daddy's, showing their nighttime routines as parallels. It's a really nice delightful read with beautiful watercolour illustrations, which ends with daddy coming home to see Harry. It's a simple story but very enjoyable. ...more
Luisa Knight
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and lovely illustrations! Don't miss this charming little story in London.

Ages: 4 - 7

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Michelle
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book as it depicted a father working overnights and this was something that my children could relate to.. The pdf I downloaded did not have pictures however. A critical part of our bedtime reading experience is the children looking for clues and trying to "read" the story from the scenes depicted in the pictures. Neither of my two little ones are independent readers so this "technical error" perhaps had a greater impact than it would on an older child.
Zelie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the ARC from NetGalley.

The book has great illustrations and also interesting story.

It's about Harry and Daddy daily life, things they do everyday. Also, how they connected in such a sweet way.
Lynn
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really lovely with soft illustrations that have a sweetly old-fashioned feel to them. Harry's Daddy works on the train at night and the story shows how father and child each spend their day and night, coming together for breakfast.

Loved this!
Janet
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in England, this picture book shows young Harry winding his day as his Dad is working as an overnight train conductor.
molliekay
My daughter loved this book because she could relate so well to Harry. She was thrilled to read a book about a daddy who works overnights, just like her daddy.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little boy is at home while his dad works a graveyard shift on a train in England. Charming scenery and cottage home
Esutterlin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Harry's Dad is a conductor on the overnight train from London to Penzance, in England. When the young boy wakes up, his Dad is arriving home to the family.
Mary Lee
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-book, family
Two nighttime routines: kids' end of day and dad's train conductor work.
Emily
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved how “Good Morning Harry, Good Night Daddy” showed what was going on with the characters simultaneously. It was a sweet story and good for fans of trains.
Tara
Aug 14, 2018
Brittany
rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2018
Sandra
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Endaring story about Harry's and Daddy's life.
It shows how Harry's day starts and all the lovely things he does during the day but when he is getting ready for bed his daddy's day is just beginning. It presents two parallel lives.
Lovely story that all children can benefit from especially those whose parents or loved ones work night shifts.
I was enchanted how beautifully illustrated it is.
Eleanor W
rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2018
Susan
May 24, 2018
I love books -- reading them, holding them, even smelling them! Growing up in the Midwest, my family would spend summers at our local public library. Later, I was lucky enough to study at the medieval University of Oxford, where there are so many books that you can catch their scent rising up from vents in the sidewalks.

I now teach medieval history at the University of Texas at Arlington, and I i