Start by marking “Where Shadows Meet” as Want to Read:

Where Shadows Meet

Hannah is distraught when her parents are murdered--but what makes it worse is that she should have been at home with them . . . not meeting her forbidden love, Reece. Unable to face the community and her guilt, she runs away and marries him.

But Reece isn't the man she thought he was. He controls her completely, and when she gets pregnant--against his wishes--he pushes her
Published April 10th 2018 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 1st 2008)

Start your review of Where Shadows Meet
Sarita
This was another great suspense from Colleen Coble. I had this on my TBR for a very long time and glad I finally got to reading this. Colleen provided a very interesting story, with some very twisted characters who could all have done the murder, Hannah who struggled with her choices, her longing for her Amish roots and where she fits in now. Matt with his own conflicting struggles provided a realistic hero.

I enjoyed the facts about the Amish faith which easily flowed with the mystery thread. It
Kav
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an enthralling story! I love how Coble gets into the grit of real relationships while hurling evil at her characters along the way! Emotions run high on both the Amish and Englisch sides as tragedy and danger create chaos in the usually peaceful town.

Hannah is a conflicted heroine -- living in the world while trying to hold onto the core of her Amish roots. But she's a survivor. Scrappy. Determined. Intent on discovering the truth. And that isn't easy -- especially when you don't know who
Dara S.
I thought I had it all figured out. Boy, was I wrong.
Maddy
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was okay. It didn’t really hold my attention but it wasn’t terrible. Just average.
Tamara Tilley
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colleen-coble, own
The twists and turns in ANATHEMA by Colleen Coble will keep you guessing in this suspense novel set in the quaint lifestyle of the Amish.

Hannah Schwartz has been raised in the Amish community of Parke County, Indiana. And though she knows the ways of the Amish, she has done the unpardonable– fallen in love with an Englisch. While on a rendezvous with Reece, her parents are murdered in their home. Devastated and confused, Hannah leaves her childhood behind in Parke County and runs away with
Nora St Laurent
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
This is definitely not your typical Amish Story. I didn't think I would make it though the first chapter. The decisions that Hannah Schwartz had made when she was younger, made things turn from bad to worse for her. Hannah soon discovers that it's better to look before you leap into a big decision like marriage. Things are definitely not what they seemed to be at first.

She is thrown into a world so unlike her own, it's disturbing at best. She thought she knew what she was doing. She had entered
Shannah Mauney
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewd-on-blog
I loved this book. Colleen Coble is an excellent writer and this book doesn't disappoint! You can see my full review here.
Lisa Johnson
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Title: Where Shadows Meet (Previously Pub. as Anathema)
Author: Collen Coble
Pages: 336
Year: 2018
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Personally, I like the new title compared with the older one; yet, both have a central place in the book! I love reading Colleen’s books because of the tension, climax, suspense and entertainment she threads in her tales. In this tale, we read about a meeting of two worlds, the Amish and English in the heart of one young woman named Hannah who views
Joyce
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Public library copy. I really liked this story. I wish the cover were more about quilts and less the picture of the girl, because the theme of the book is the Amish quilts. Well, that's the visible theme, but there are others running underneath.

Having just finished another of Coble's newer works, I was excited to read such a compelling story with far more faith base to it. More than just a way of life, it presented this particular group of Amish as Christians who desire to please God. I love
Cherihy808
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
2-2.5 stars. I finished it but it was tough. When I read the back of the book I thought “wow this is going to be so good”...and it really COULD have been a great book if it wasn’t all over the place. The ideas were good but there was just way too much that was really unrealistic. Too many people connected in different ways that made it confusing at times and often boring. Unfortunately I would not recommend this one.
Joy B
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!
Susan
I loved this book. The suspense was intense and the romance so sweet. Looking forward to many more by this author and narrator.
Victor Gentile
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colleen Coble in her new book “Anathema book coverAnathema” published by Thomas Nelson takes us into the life of Hannah Schwartz.

From the back cover: When Hannah refuses to forgive a terrible sin she becomes “anathema”–shunned. But the real question is, can she forgive herself?

Visitors come to Parke County, Indiana to enjoy the lush farms, to buy the Amish quilts, and to experience the peaceful ways of the Amish families who live there. But when a double murder rocks this quiet community, the
Wendy Keel
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Ohh this is a great book. Hannah has alot to struggle with the loss of her parents, then abuse, and feelings of doubt and anger as well as bitterness. When she leaves her abusive husband after 5yrs and an event that almost destroyed her, she makes herself a life. Then after 5yrs of wondering when her husband would find her, she receives a letter one that makes her wonder if her daughter died, as her husband said. She returns to the Amish community she left, only be shunned, and to find another ...more
Karen
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really like it so for. I tried another book of hers and did not. But so far so good with this one. Daughter read it and thought I would like it.

It was very good. I have read a few Amish Christian fiction that were pretty good and a few i did not like and usually stay away from Amish book, but this was exceptionally better than most. Maybe because it included a great mystery within the romantic part. Recommend greatly.
Aimee
May 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First book I read by this author. Saw her in the Christian bookstore mailer I get. I write down titles that sound good and then head to the library. The book started out good and capturing my attention, but then really bogged down in the middle - too much detail and not enough story line movement.
Colleen
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, a true page turner with a little about the Amish life, but mostly the mystery of a little girl and how God's makes everything right again. I recommend it
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, lots of twists and and turns. At one point I had to just stop and think about each character and think things through.
Mahathi Ramya
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes us through the Amish culture, their beliefs and their way of living. This caught my attention throughout the book. The author builds the characters, circumstances in a very convincing way.

Hanah is a strong character though she takes a wrong decision in her life by choosing the abusive partner Reece. Reece is a complex character to understand and I couldn't get the reason for his abusive behavior even by the end of the book. It would have been great reading more about Reece.

I
Kathy Mizell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not smell the flowers

So many things were happening in Hannah's life. It had been five years since she had left the Amish country she had grown up in. A lot of things had changed for her. She had married Reece, lost her baby girl, started writing quilt books, making those quilts and trying to live a happy life forgetting all the horrible deaths of her Mother and Father, now more family has died or been killed. Did Reece do it, is her daughter really alive, could she start a new life with Matt.
Mark
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of Coble's somehow slipped by me. I thought I had read it, but I had not. It was just as awesome as her other books. This one really had me wondering where she would go with it. Was Hannah's husband the killer? If not, would he change enough for her to go back to him, because I couldn't see Hannah divorcing and remarrying with her Amish background......then there was Matt, and a romantic interest between he and Hannah....

I won't give away spoilers, but the book ended the way I wanted
Jan
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance, suspense, and intensity grab you on every page. Colleen Coble is a master at weaving a story with each thread entangling you with the characters and the intrigue of how they are all connected in one way or another. I highly recommend this story and any of the author's other books. She deals tactfully and lovingly with many issues facing people today - family, faith, love, abuse, sorrow, tragedy, joy and so many others. You will not regret spending time with this author and the ...more
Stacy M. Patton
This book was just okay. There wasn’t much mystery other then the complex family connections. I thought this book was pretty predictable and really not that exciting. Definitely not my favorite Colleen Coble book. I did think the Amish quilt quotes at the beginning of each chapter which came from the lead character were interesting and clever and does help in understanding the Amish faith and way of life. I think those little nuggets of information were more informative then a lot of Amish ...more
JEAN H MCKILLOP
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where Shadows Meet

When a young woman is appreciated she associates it with love. She doesn't need to really know the person. Stars in her eyes magnify the guys worth. Hannah was in love, the other trials just convinced her that she had to have that love even when so many things were saying she should not. Life went on,with obstacles and brought her round circle. The suspense created holds the reader and Hannah finally comes to understand that God does not hold grudges and does answer prayers.
Kathy Filardo
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a great Amish suspense tale. It kept me turning pages avidly. I didn't guess who the real murderer was, believing it to be the one suspect with the most violent outbursts, and also the motive was not revealed until almost the end of the book. I liked how the author used the quilts to illustrate the Amish belief system, and how Matt, Reece, and Caitlyn were all linked with Hannah.

I was also happy to see that Hannah made a decision to stay with a certain man rather than leave and go back
Donna Willard
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think you guessed then comes a twist

This author builds a story and characters so intriguing! It is a book hard to put down. The story grabs from the first and holds on until the end. The twist in characters and what happens in each of their lives keeps one guessing. Just when you think you have figured it out NO and that is exactly what keeps it interesting and so you can’t put the book down. I really enjoy this author! Colleen rocks!
Sally
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
A very good book that deals with serious issues, deception, abusive relationships, women's shelters, murders and more. The abusive marriage that is discussed quite a bit is serious but also necessary to understand the book. In other words, it is a key issue. There is a nice romance that is enjoyable.
Colleen Coble writes amazing stories and this is a good one!
Mary
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
There were a lot of problems with this story. The main character does not act like someone who is afraid someone wants to kill her. She wanders all over the place, with no cares for her safety. Nothing happens. And there's no suspense while you wait for something to happen.
Jo Collins
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where Shadow Meet

Colleen Coble has written another great suspenseful book!!! I love the amish quilts and their history woven through the novel. Colleen bring all her characters to life and great plot twists.
Gwen Hopkins
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Indiana setting. I am a Hoosier.

This is another great mystery. It is amazing how difficult it is to discover the villain. This story had many characters that could be guilty.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Smoke Screen
  • Hidden Peril (Code of Honor #2)
  • Justice Betrayed (Memphis Cold Case #3)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor #3)
  • Driftwood Bay (Hope Harbor, #5)
  • Called to Protect (Blue Justice, #2)
  • Code of Valor (Blue Justice, #3)
  • Pelican Point (Hope Harbor, #4)
  • Lone Witness (Atlanta Justice, #2)
  • Dangerous Illusions (Code of Honor, #1)
  • Fatal Strike
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • On Magnolia Lane (Blue Ridge, #3)
  • Formula of Deception
  • Deadly Isle (The Cost of Betrayal Collection)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • High Treason (FBI Task Force, #3)
USAToday bestselling author Colleen Coble lives with her husband, Dave, in Indiana. She is the author of dozens of novels including the Rock Harbor Series, the Aloha Reef Series, the Mercy Falls Series, the Hope Beach Series, the Lonestar Series and two Women of Faith fiction selections, Alaska Twilight and Midnight Sea. She has more than 2 million books in print.
“His eyes widened. “You mean the symbol we use for peace began as a hate symbol against Christianity?” She nodded. “It was a visual representation of the way Nero crucified Christians upside down.” 0 likes