Start by marking “Blood Water Paint” as Want to Read:
Blood Water Paint

Blood Water Paint

A debut novel based on the true story of the iconic painter, Artemisia Gentileschi.

Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia Gentileschi had a stark choice: a life as a nun in a convent or a life grinding pigment for her father's paint.

She chose paint.

By the time she was seventeen, Artemisia did more than grind pigment. She was one of Rome's most talented
Published March 6th 2018 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Blood Water Paint, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Konstantin Order it online, buy it in a bookshop, check if a library nearby has it.
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,030 books — 5,237 voters
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungEverless by Sara  HollandAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
156 books — 635 voters

More lists with this book...

Kai
by your body
will never have
an ounce of your worth.
"

Okay, okay, hear me out: a feminist young adult historical novel written in verse. About a female painter who wins a trial against her rapist - in 1612.

This is the story of Artemisia Gentileschi, a young woman living in Rome with her family. Her father sells paintings signed with his name, even though it is Artemisia who does all the work. Her mother, long dead now, once told her goodnight-stories
jessica
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a story
about a young girl
and her bravery to make a place
for herself
in a world of men.

with every stroke of her brush,
she created a mural of
her belonging;

rich with hues of purpose,
gradients of hope,
and pigments of resilience.

she knew that those men

the life
she desired.

the life
she deserved.

and it was as if the paint,
which created her masterpiece,
ran through her very blood.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Content warnings: sexual assault, misogyny, suicidal thoughts, violence, brief physical torture, victim-blaming, slut-shaming, murder, betrayal.

I will show you what a woman can do.

When I was given the opportunity to participate in a blog tour for this book’s release, I was absolutely elated. I didn’t know much about the writing itself, but I knew that it was historical fiction (check), feminist (check), widely beloved by a slew of my favorite authors (check), and about an actual human being (c
Hannah Greendale
Artful, passionate, harrowing. This book consumed me.
I've grown accustomed
to the lack of light
inside our studio.
But from this angle
of fatigue a ray
slants through
the window
to bounce across the surface
of the foul, gelatinous
potion I've just brewed.

Beneath the light, it's a golden sea,
tranquil but for the slightest breeze.
A place where magic hums
beneath the surface, mermaids,
if women are heavenly
angels on high,
or earthbound sculptures
for their gardens

But either way we’re beauty
for consumption.

This was really quite powerful and beautiful and devastating all at the same time. It is based on the true story of Artemisia Gentileschi, an iconic painter from the seventeenth century. Blood Water Paint is written in verse for the majority of the novel with the exception of the stories of Judith and Susanna which are told in prose by Artemisia's mothe
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction / feminist lit
Recommended to Elise by: Mackenzi
This is a hard book to decently review. It's a verse novel, first of all. I think it's nigh-impossible to review a verse novel well. And this is not just a verse novel; it is a book that gets its chief power out of emotionality and importance.

If you've read the blurb, you know this follows the story of 17th-century painter Artemisia Gentileschi. Or at least, the beginning of her story. When she was seventeen, Artemisia had taken on most of the duties at her father's studio and was preparing to m
Tatiana
Jun 19, 2018 marked it as abandoned
I am all for feminism, but this novel is so blunt in its I-am-woman-oppressed-by-the-men-who-are-all-EVIL message, it hurts. I believe the feminist agenda can be brought across more effectively by tools other than woe-is-me-because-I-am-a-woman sentiment in every sentence.

Also, entirely anachronistic in its narrative voice. The language Artemisia uses is very contemporary and distracts even further from the historical context.

By all accounts Artemisia Gentileschi was a remarkable woman, I am e
Rachel
I really wanted to love this book. I studied art history extensively in college, I love Artemisia Gentileschi, and the promise of a story from her perspective was so tantalizing that I ended up ignoring my suspicions that this book was going to be too young and too heavy-handed for me. I really should have listened to my gut on this one.

Artemisia Gentileschi was an Italian Baroque painter, whose works are often overshadowed by the fact that she was raped by her mentor, Agostino Tassi. She and he
alice (arctic books)
Simply put, BLOOD WATER PAINT is a stunning and heartbreaking novel. I finished this in one sitting, partly because it was in free verse so the pages went by incredibly quickly, and partly because the writing and plot were so captivating.

BLOOD WATER PAINT follows Artemisia, a young artist living in 17th century Italy, who lives to paint, paints to live. In the aftermath of rape, Artemisia tries to find solace in a couple of her painting’s subjects, Susanna and Judith, who ultimately brings an in
Dahlia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-releases, verse
That was really incredibly done. It's so beautifully historical but thoroughly modern at the same time, and so skillful at its depiction and articulation of the male gaze vs. the female one. This made me want to go out and learn everything possible about Artemesia, which is my absolute favorite result of historical fiction based on real people. Just...so, so good.
Mackenzi
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book.

Official blurb/review to come.
Puck
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Female of the Species" & Art Historians
Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Michelangelo: just a couple of famous painters who made masterpieces. But where are the amazing female painters? What are their stories, and why do we know so little about them?
Blood Water Paint responds to that by introducing us to Artemisia Gentileschi, a female Italian artist who did manage to become famous, but not wholly in the way she wished.

Judith, I don’t have a sword.
She reaches out,
Her hands bloodstained,
And wraps my fingers
Around the brush.

Joy McCu
☙ percy ❧
Apr 08, 2018 marked it as tbr-priority
i LOVE artemisia gentileschi so i can't wait to read this!!!

she'd BETTER behead her rapist like judith did to holofernes tho
Ana

Artemisia Gentileschi was the first woman ever admitted into the Accademia dell’Arte del Disegno in Florence, the first to live and paint at the court of Charles I of England, and the first sexual assault survivor to win a legal battle against her aggressor.

Blood Water Paint is a feminist historical novel written in verse that recounts that violent moment in the life o
Dannii Elle
remind me who the painter is.
It's funny how the painter's not:
the one with pigment smeared into her skin
the one whose body
is a permanent fixture
in this studio as stool, palette, easel.
the only one whose heart is flung across the canvas.

No: the painter merely signs his name.

and takes his gold.
Casey
***THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE***

What you get out of this book, whether it speaks to you, is going to be entirely dependent upon who you are when you begin it.

That statement isn't a critique of reader or writer, it's just my assessment of the style chosen by the author and the message it presents to the reader. It's unlikely that any two people will have the same experience while reading it so to fill my review with how it made me feel seems almost pointless. Having said that, I will try to
brillant, amazing, heartbreaking, empowering.
Kelly
Perfect for fans of Ruta Sepetys, McCullough's debut verse novel tells the story of Artemisia Gentileschi in the early 1600s. A young painter, apprenticed by her father -- who was, of course, profiting from her work -- she dreams of capturing the true essence of the women whose stories her deceased mother told her into her art. But when she is raped by a potential client, her life turns upside down and she turns to the strength of those women to find her voice and speak up and out about what hap ...more
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“I wish men would decide if women are heavenly angels on high, or earthbound sculptures for their gardens.”

Wow. This book was so heavy and powerful and important. Blood Water Paint is a historical novel told in verse following the life of 17th century painter, Artemisia Gentileschi, from the loss of her mother at an early age to her rape and the trial that followed. Blood Water Paint is a moving story about women and power and resolve and it can’t be praised enough.

Things I Liked
This was s
ellie
this book is about art is art itself.

how do i describe how much this means to me? what about this -

i learn about artemisia gentileschi in class last year; i am in awe.
i learn about artemisia gentileschi at 3am today; i am still in awe.

i felt the outrage, the shame, the love, the hatred that she must've felt, that i still feel, over 400 years later. i am stumbling over my rage today as she did back then. i find comfort from her that i can't explain. just as much as she uses the stories of fierce
Emily
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it

This was quite good!

Some things I loved:
The story itself--Artemisia Gentileschi's life is fascinating, and I think McCullough did a fabulous job of picking just the right snapshots to focus on.

The family dynamics--we see some... not great (read: boderline if not outright abusive) behavior from Artemisia's family, and McCullough handles those dynamics with care and with nuance.

The female characters--beyond Artemisia and her family's servant, there are almost no real female characters in
Astrid Mark
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
i will show you what a woman can do

the writing of this book is absolutely gorgeous, and i love how mccollough intertwined artemisia's story with that of susanna and judith.

this story is so passionate, stunning, inspirational and powerful. a female painter in the 1600s, insisting on going after her rapist, even if it will cost her everything
Karima chermiti
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything begins from here:
the viewing point,
the place where you stand,
your eye level.
That single point on the horizon
where all other lines
converge.

Sometimes it does not matter whether you loved a book or not, what matters more is what the book is trying to say or the themes the story is portraying. To say that I loved this book would be a lie because I liked it but did not love it. so the logic would say that I should give this book three stars but that would’ve been a huge mistake from my
Stephanie S
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really, truly, utterly hated this book. Despite being picky, I try not to be super mean in my reviews, but this book was not at all pleasant for me to read.

I was way excited for Blood Water Paint at first. I love Artemesia Gentileschi, and couldn't want to read this, even though I don't usually read lots of YA. I special-ordered it from the library, and thought I would definitely get a book I'd enjoy and maybe even learn from.

Oh boy, was I wrong.
The author took on an impressive task, in writ
G.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

The world will tell you not to be outraged, love. They will tell you to sit quietly, be kind. Be a lady.
And when they do? Be Judith instead.

The Judith in question? The one that beheaded Holofernes. Specifically, Artemisia Gentileschi's artistic vision of Judith beheading Holofernes. Look it up, and then compare it to, say, Caravaggio's version. The difference between the two paintings is apparent. Now tell me you don't want to know more about Artemisia. Tell me and make me believe it.

Artem
Erin Bowman
“I will show you what a woman can do.”

As Gae Polisner said in a blurb about the book, BLOOD, WATER, PAINT is “a grave reminder of how little has changed and a hopeful testament to how much more we might achieve.” Women often have so much to lose from speaking their truth—in the 1600s and even still today. This was incredible and everyone should read it.
Alison
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
I know I hate on poetry (a lot) but I love books written in prose. I think it takes the critical element of my mind away when I read a full novel story in poetry format than poems by themselves.
I think the poetry aspect added something to the story because 1) it is about a creative person, and art telling art just adds to the overall story and 2) it is about an extremely hard topic (TW: Rape) and it lessens the blow without taking away the sting, if that makes any sense.
This is based
Carlos
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would have benefited the readers a lot more had it focused more on Artemisia achievements rather that on what happened to her . There are some historical inaccuracies and you feel like maybe the author wanted to fit Artemisia story into some current perspectives rather than focus on the real amazing artist. Good easy format that makes for a very quick read .
Jordan Davidson
I buddy-read this with a close friend and fellow Goodreads user. Both of us were excited to pick this up; both of us were less excited when we finally did begin reading it and realized it was mostly in (poorly-written, by the way) verse; and both of us were left ultimately disappointed, to say the least.

The writing in this is just bad. It's unnecessarily written in a verse format, and while verse isn't my favorite thing to read it can be - and has been - done well. This is a prime example of ver
K.A.
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's not very often I read a book that understands much of the way my heart was broken so many years ago. That holds my hand and cries with me. That stands alongside me and stares the horror in the eye. These are not stories we like to talk about, not monsters we like to expose to the light. But they are stories that need to be told. And this story is one of them.

BLOOD WATER PAINT is so powerful and empowering. The poetry, the art, the strength, the horror--the truth of what women go through ev
  • Stone Mirrors: The Sculpture and Silence of Edmonia Lewis
  • What the Night Sings
  • Macbeth
  • This Impossible Light
  • Death Coming Up the Hill
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Burn Baby Burn
  • American Ace
  • Sisters of Glass
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Finding Baba Yaga: A Short Novel in Verse
“Why, though, does it take a mother, daughter, sister for men to take a woman at her word?” 38 likes
“And listen to me love, when a woman risks her place, her very life to speak a truth the world despises? Believe her. Always.” 38 likes