Start by marking “Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)” as Want to Read:
Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)

Marry in Scandal

(Marriage of Convenience #2)

A shy heiress and a well-known rake face a scandal-forced marriage that might be true love in the latest irresistible romance from the national bestselling author of Marry in Haste.

Shy young heiress, Lady Lily Rutherford, is in no hurry to marry. She dreams of true love and a real courtship. But when disaster strikes, she finds herself facing a scandal-forced marriage to h
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 3rd 2018 by Berkley

Mei
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Mmmm... It could be that the heroine is too young for my taste...
She reminded me of Melanie Hamilton from Gone with the Wind, remember?

She has a golden heart and is full of good intentions, but she's soooo naive!!!

She also has a big problem: she cannot read (I think she's dyslexic, but it is never throughly explained).

I can understand that's a big problem, but she's been hiding it from the hero for too long.

I had the feeling that the hero was kind of absent from the story... she's the main char
Esther
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley and Publisher for an honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

First time reading this author.

Lady Lily Rutherford is holding out for true love. Even though her not so nice Aunt is determined to marry her, her sister and niece off to cold, arrogant, titled men of the ton. But Lily dreams of true love.
She know she has some challenges that need to be overcome, as her dearest Aunt continues to point
Caz
Readers first met Lily Rutherford, heroine of Marry in Scandal (the second book in Anne Gracie’s Marriage of Convenience series), in Marry in Haste, where she was introduced as one of the two somewhat unruly sisters of its hero, Cal, Earl of Ashendon.  Now eighteen years old, Lily, her sister, Rose and their niece, Georgiana (who is of an age with them) are all partaking of the London season under the chaperonage of their dragon of an Aunt Augusta, who orders them about, and bullies them (or t ...more
Sharon
The author is really good at writing endings. The last quarter is pretty amazing. Like the 1st book, it takes way too long for the buildup of the plot.

I was looking forward to Lily’s book, but she was kinda eh for most of it except for a bit in the beginning and the ending. I like Edward, especially when we get his backstory towards the end. His grandfather is the sweetest!

So overall. 3 stars (maybe 2.5). Solid last quarter of the book, but the middle was so blah.

Things that you might want to k
Joanna Loves Reading
4.5 Stars for a lovely story. It would have been five, but the big mystery was a bit disappointing to me. Great marriage of convenience that turns into love transition. Really enjoyed listening to it!
kris
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lady Lily Rutherford gets kidnapped by a jackass and she has a SECRET. Edward Galbraith rescues her and HE TOO HAS A SECRET. Kissing, scandal, marriage, sex, emotions, revealing of secrets, THE END.

1. HER SECRET IS THAT SHE CANNOT READ. OTHER BOOKS HAVE DONE IT BETTER.

2. HIS SECRET IS THAT HE HAS SURVIVOR'S GUILT. OTHER BOOKS HAVE DONE IT BETTER.

3. This just didn't stick. Lily just a golden-hearted idol with nothing to her beyond her dyslexia. Ned is 900% not present until his ~big reveal whi
Lu
4,5 rounded to 5

Sweet story of a dyslexic heroine (at least I think she was, although not expressly mentioned) and a tortured hero that end up in a marriage of convenience.
The heroine (Lilly) is sweet and adorable, but feels inadequate because of her inability to read and because she is less slender than what the ton considers fashionable.
The hero (Edward) is a lonely man who have some demons to face but is hiding it all behind a mask of indifference and aloofness.
When he sees his friend’s siste
Desi
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5. Rather abrupt last few chapters, very quick turnaround of events. I feel as if it was missing some buildup. Aaaand, I can’t believe im saying this, but, yeah, it was missing some some filler. Some pasta or rice with all that meat.

The characters were great though. They conveyed genuine affection for each other, and there was a cute portrayal of growing feelings.

I also like that no easy solution was offered for her issue, at this stage of her life it might have been frustrating for her if ev
Ipshita
Find this review and many more on my blog: Ipshita's Book Alley

I enjoyed this book. The characters sort of grew on me by the time I finished with it. One cannot help but fall for Gracie's characters. And I've been a devoted follower of Anne Gracie for several years. Having said that, I couldn't help but feel that this one wasn't up to par with her usual books.

Two things that bothered me were her dyslexia (not a spoiler, trust me) and the hero not returning to his estate despite having such a gr
Sonya Heaney
Also posted HERE .

I want to say this bit before getting to the review:

(view spoiler)
Helen
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that Anne Gracie is one of my favourite authors and this story is going on my favourite list as well, I savoured every word in this delightfully beautiful story I made it last because, although I wanted to get to that HEA I wanted to stay with Lily and Edward as long as I could, actually it was fabulous being with Cal and Emm, and Lily’s sister Rose and niece Georgiana again. Do yourself a favour and make yourself comfortable for a journey that is sure to leave you smiling.

Lady L
Dot Salvagin
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Anne Gracie. This story just grabs the reader with emotion packed scenes and dialog. There is a heroic intervention by Edward when he saves Lily from kidnappers. But in saving her life he may ruin her reputation. Can this battle-scarred man learn to love? Can loving a man be enough when he doesn’t love you back? This author can bring a story to life with action, adventure, and sensuality. This is a standalone novel in this series.

I received this book free for review from the
Juliana Philippa
Something had begun, in that trip back from Yorkshire, and every instinct she had was to nurture it. She felt certain—as certain as a girl full of doubts could—that this was what she had to do. She loved Edward and would do her very best to make him the best wife she could be. And she would hope and pray that he would become the loving kind of husband she'd always dreamed of. He might be marrying in scandal, but she would marry in hope.
3.5 stars Still deciding between 3.5 and 4 stars

Our Heroin
steph
It was okay.

Ned's character wasn't developed until the -nth hour and Lily was adorable but far too naive at times. I'll continue reading this series though, mostly because I want George's story.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Marry in Scandal by Anne Gracie is book Two in the Marriage of Convenience series. This is the story of Lady Lily Rutherford and Edward Galbraith. I haven't yet read the previous book, so for me this was a standalone book.
Lily was holding out for a true courtship and true love but a mishap has her tied to Edward. Lily has a disability that made her wish for the true love part as to ease her life into a marriage. But moving forward Lily tries to find love with Edward but he won't open up to her
Adria (Musings and Reviews)
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Musings and Reviews

* A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Lady Lily Rutherford dreams of marrying for love but when she finds herself in the middle of a disaster, she has no choice but to marry her rescuer and known rake, Edward Galbraith. Despite being forced to marry in order to avoid scandal, Lily is
Alexandria Jane

To my chagrin, this book was such an utter disappointment. While Annie Gracie has never been one of my favorite authors, her books are always solidly decent and engaging. However, this book was simply dreadfully dull. It was a complete chore to get through. A complete snooze fest.

The beginning of the book starts out decently enough. Lady Lily Rutherford is kidnapped (a real shake up from the typical trope of random kidnapping at the end of books) for her inheritance. In the process of escaping
Gogol
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
this Book was written and edited properly, everything had been done right, it was good enough I suppose but it was completely forgettable. As in literally: i’d Previously read it and had forgotten almost all of it.
Annie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Started off fine, but lost steam near the middle and didn't gain it back. The end plot was too quick and wasn't rewarding.
Lover of Romance
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Marry in Haste was such a wonderful read, and I adore everything about this book. There wasn't really anything I didn't like except the beginning was a bit slow. But once it picked up then it really set fire to the story and the romance. I have always been a fan in how Anne Gra
Jennifer Lynn
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Anne Gracie has always had a little something that helped set her apart in the Regency Romance genre, but with Married in Scandal, it seemed to be missing. I kept waiting for the warm fuzzies of her trademark sentimentalism to settle over me, only to be disappointed. I still liked the story, it just seemed a little more generic to me, rather forgettable.
herdys
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Actually better than I expected, but still not liking this author's heroes. Heroines are always smart and spunky but end up with men that are not the best out there.. Plus this one felt a little insta on her part. I did love the scenes with the grandpa, he was such a cutie!
Angie Elle
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC from Netgalley and the publisher

With several Anne Gracie books under my belt, I was confident I’d found an historical author I could count on for an enjoyable read. It makes me sad to report that her latest release, Marry in Scandal, just wasn’t what I was hoping for. I found Lily to be a heroine who was simple and hard to relate to, Edward incredibly underdeveloped, and the plot shallow. But the biggest problem for me with this book was that, aside from the setting and a few plot points, th
Blodeuedd Finland
I have never listened/read Anne Gracie before, but I truly enjoyed it. It felt different and more sweet than other historical romances. There was drama, but none of that two people butting heads and not talking. I kept waiting for it, and then was happy to see it not happening, lol.

But yes there is drama and quite the start! Lily is a young heiress who gets abducted. And the man doing it is a monster. I kept wondering if she would get out. Which I knew she would, but it was so intense! And Lily
Arlena
Rating: Four
Review:

"Marry in Scandal" by Anne Gracie

My Thoughts...

This was quite a enjoyable unique historical romance read where I found these characters well developed, portrayed and believable giving the reader quite a engaging good read of some strong Regency England women. I liked how Lily and Edward were drawn together with her being 'intuitive, sweet, shy and smart, but however, illiterate
Christina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely Regency story with a heroine you empathise with right from the start – I loved the fact that she was dyslexic at a time when most young women seem to have spent their days endlessly reading and writing very long letters! A wonderful hero too – who doesn’t love a rake? – and I have to admit I really liked his grandfather. If you love Regencies you won’t want to miss this one – can’t wait to read the others in the series!
Jennie
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story of Lily and Edward. Lily grew up thinking and being told that she was stupid because she couldn't read or write. When she is kidnapped and manages to scape, Edward company s along and saves her for on her kidnappers.
Lori D
Can a emotionally damaged hero and heroine save each other? This is my favorite trope because I love to see how two people help each other and find love in the end. Lady Lily Rutherford has a secret. She has always struggled with the ability to read and write but is really smart and has a great memory. But Lily is a heiress and thus she is abducted by a scoundrel from her past who wants her money. She is able to get way and is rescued by none other than Ned Galbraith, a renowned rake with no pla ...more
Silke
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: curvy-heroine
Victoria
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

Awesome story, better than most books I've read lately. However, the age of the heroine bothered me A LOT!! I understand that back then people were considered adults at 17 or 18. But still, my modern mind couldn't deal with the idea of an 18 year old girl engaging in a serious relationship and having sex with a 28 year old guy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Her Christmas Earl
  • Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)
  • The Duke of Deception (The Untouchables, #3)
  • Merely a Marriage
  • The Wedding Ring Quest
  • Untamed
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Duke (The Cavensham Heiresses #4)
  • Money Shot
  • A Counterfeit Heart (Secrets & Spies, #3)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • Wed to a Spy (All the Queen's Spies, #1)
  • A Duke in Shining Armor (Difficult Dukes, #1)
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • Wedding Night with the Earl (The Heirs' Club of Scoundrels, #3)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich

Marriage of Convenience (3 books)
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)