Start by marking “Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)” as Want to Read:
Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)

Marry in Scandal

(Marriage of Convenience #2)

A shy heiress and a well-known rake face a scandal-forced marriage that might be true love in the latest irresistible romance from the national bestselling author of Marry in Haste.

Shy young heiress, Lady Lily Rutherford, is in no hurry to marry. She dreams of true love and a real courtship. But when disaster strikes, she finds herself facing a scandal-forced marriage to h
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 3rd 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Marry in Scandal, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)
Mei
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Mmmm... It could be that the heroine is too young for my taste...
She reminded me of Melanie Hamilton from Gone with the Wind, remember?

She has a golden heart and is full of good intentions, but she's soooo naive!!!

She also has a big problem: she cannot read (I think she's dyslexic, but it is never throughly explained).

I can understand that's a big problem, but she's been hiding it from the hero for too long.

I had the feeling that the hero was kind of absent from the story... she's the main char
Esther
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley and Publisher for an honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

First time reading this author.

Lady Lily Rutherford is holding out for true love. Even though her not so nice Aunt is determined to marry her, her sister and niece off to cold, arrogant, titled men of the ton. But Lily dreams of true love.
She know she has some challenges that need to be overcome, as her dearest Aunt continues to point
Caz
Readers first met Lily Rutherford, heroine of Marry in Scandal (the second book in Anne Gracie’s Marriage of Convenience series), in Marry in Haste, where she was introduced as one of the two somewhat unruly sisters of its hero, Cal, Earl of Ashendon.  Now eighteen years old, Lily, her sister, Rose and their niece, Georgiana (who is of an age with them) are all partaking of the London season under the chaperonage of their dragon of an Aunt Augusta, who orders them about, and bullies them (or ...more
WhiskeyintheJar
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
For my thoughts, comments, and quotes: Marry in Scandal Buddy Read

This started off promising for me but meandered in the middle and then had an ending that was full of pointless, annoying, quickly done with reveals.
Sharon
The author is really good at writing endings. The last quarter is pretty amazing. Like the 1st book, it takes way too long for the buildup of the plot.

I was looking forward to Lily’s book, but she was kinda eh for most of it except for a bit in the beginning and the ending. I like Edward, especially when we get his backstory towards the end. His grandfather is the sweetest!

So overall. 3 stars (maybe 2.5). Solid last quarter of the book, but the middle was so blah.

Things that you might want to k
Joanna Loves Reading
4.5 Stars for a lovely story. It would have been five, but the big mystery was a bit disappointing to me. Great marriage of convenience that turns into love transition. Really enjoyed listening to it!
kris
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lady Lily Rutherford gets kidnapped by a jackass and she has a SECRET. Edward Galbraith rescues her and HE TOO HAS A SECRET. Kissing, scandal, marriage, sex, emotions, revealing of secrets, THE END.

1. HER SECRET IS THAT SHE CANNOT READ. OTHER BOOKS HAVE DONE IT BETTER.

2. HIS SECRET IS THAT HE HAS SURVIVOR'S GUILT. OTHER BOOKS HAVE DONE IT BETTER.

3. This just didn't stick. Lily just a golden-hearted idol with nothing to her beyond her dyslexia. Ned is 900% not present until his ~big reveal whi
Desi
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5. Rather abrupt last few chapters, very quick turnaround of events. I feel as if it was missing some buildup.

Aaaand, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but, yeah, it was missing some filler. Some pasta or rice with all that meat.

The characters were great though. They conveyed genuine affection for each other, and there was a cute portrayal of growing feelings.

I also like that no easy solution was offered for her issue, at this stage of her life it might have been frustrating for her if everyo
Jultri
Young debutante develops a serious case of infatuation for dashing hero after he rescued her from the clutches of a nasty abductor. In the process, they're compromised and being the honourable gentleman that he is, Edward proposes marriage to Lily, the youngest sister of his close friend.

Marriage follows. Marriage bed is bliss naturally, after a less than fine start by the hero to their connubial coital relations. It seems that Gracie's heroes have a tendency to build up the expectations only t
Ipshita
Find this review and many more on my blog: Ipshita's Book Alley

I enjoyed this book. The characters sort of grew on me by the time I finished with it. One cannot help but fall for Gracie's characters. And I've been a devoted follower of Anne Gracie for several years. Having said that, I couldn't help but feel that this one wasn't up to par with her usual books.

Two things that bothered me were her dyslexia (not a spoiler, trust me) and the hero not returning to his estate despite having such a gr
Lu
4,5 rounded to 5

Sweet story of a dyslexic heroine (at least I think she was, although not expressly mentioned) and a tortured hero that end up in a marriage of convenience.
The heroine (Lilly) is sweet and adorable, but feels inadequate because of her inability to read and because she is less slender than what the ton considers fashionable.
The hero (Edward) is a lonely man who have some demons to face but is hiding it all behind a mask of indifference and aloofness.
When he sees his friend’s siste
Debby
I truly enjoyed this story of Lilly and Edward. Although the story doesn't say, I think the heroine is dyslexic and this was her biggest secret. The story focused more on the heroine with the hero being introduced here and there to satisfy his sexual appetite that did not bother the heroine. The big secret with the hero was a flop and wasn't a changing or pivitol event in the story.

The romance and intimacy betweent he characters was nice and transitioned well throughout the story. This was an au
Sonya Heaney
Also posted HERE .

I want to say this bit before getting to the review:

(view spoiler)
Juliana Philippa
Something had begun, in that trip back from Yorkshire, and every instinct she had was to nurture it. She felt certain—as certain as a girl full of doubts could—that this was what she had to do. She loved Edward and would do her very best to make him the best wife she could be. And she would hope and pray that he would become the loving kind of husband she'd always dreamed of. He might be marrying in scandal, but she would marry in hope.
3.5 stars Still deciding between 3.5 and 4 stars

Our Hero
Helen
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that Anne Gracie is one of my favourite authors and this story is going on my favourite list as well, I savoured every word in this delightfully beautiful story I made it last because, although I wanted to get to that HEA I wanted to stay with Lily and Edward as long as I could, actually it was fabulous being with Cal and Emm, and Lily’s sister Rose and niece Georgiana again. Do yourself a favour and make yourself comfortable for a journey that is sure to leave you smiling.

Lady L
Sammy Loves Books
Wow!! I have a new favorite historical romance writer...

Anne Gracie's heroines are sweet, strong, honest, sassy, and everything I want in a heroine!!

Lady Lily Rutherford
description

Lady Lily has a few things going against her when it comes to finding a husband. She's a little plump, and she can't read. Luckily for Lily, there are men that love women with curves. Unfortunately, her inability to read causes her to become the victim a horrific crime.

Edward Galbraith may be a rake, but he is still an honorabl
Dot Salvagin
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Anne Gracie. This story just grabs the reader with emotion packed scenes and dialog. There is a heroic intervention by Edward when he saves Lily from kidnappers. But in saving her life he may ruin her reputation. Can this battle-scarred man learn to love? Can loving a man be enough when he doesn’t love you back? This author can bring a story to life with action, adventure, and sensuality. This is a standalone novel in this series.

I received this book free for review from the
Gogol
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
this Book was written and edited properly, everything had been done right, it was good enough I suppose but it was completely forgettable. As in literally: i’d Previously read it and had forgotten almost all of it.
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was another great addition to a wonderfully entertaining series! I loved the kidnapping plot and I think as a whole I enjoyed this even better than book one.

If there’s anything about these to complain about, it’s that we seem to get one love scene of the couples first time in these books and then not much else description wise. I’m fine with that, but I did think it could have used a love scene after Edward thought lily was dead from the horse fall and then was so relieved when she was ok.
steph
It was okay.

Ned's character wasn't developed until the -nth hour and Lily was adorable but far too naive at times. I'll continue reading this series though, mostly because I want George's story.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Marry in Scandal by Anne Gracie is book Two in the Marriage of Convenience series. This is the story of Lady Lily Rutherford and Edward Galbraith. I haven't yet read the previous book, so for me this was a standalone book.
Lily was holding out for a true courtship and true love but a mishap has her tied to Edward. Lily has a disability that made her wish for the true love part as to ease her life into a marriage. But moving forward Lily tries to find love with Edward but he won't open up to her
Adria's Musings
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Musings and Reviews

* A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Lady Lily Rutherford dreams of marrying for love but when she finds herself in the middle of a disaster, she has no choice but to marry her rescuer and known rake, Edward Galbraith. Despite being forced to marry in order to avoid scandal, Lily is
Lover of Romance
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Marry in Haste was such a wonderful read, and I adore everything about this book. There wasn't really anything I didn't like except the beginning was a bit slow. But once it picked up then it really set fire to the story and the romance. I have always been a fan in how Anne Gra
Alexandria Jane

To my chagrin, this book was such an utter disappointment. While Annie Gracie has never been one of my favorite authors, her books are always solidly decent and engaging. However, this book was simply dreadfully dull. It was a complete chore to get through. A complete snooze fest.

The beginning of the book starts out decently enough. Lady Lily Rutherford is kidnapped (a real shake up from the typical trope of random kidnapping at the end of books) for her inheritance. In the process of escaping
Christina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this series – this is how Regency romance should be written! Although the books are standalone, I’d recommend reading them in order as that enhances the experience. Marry in Scandal is a lovely Regency story with a heroine you empathise with right from the start – I loved the fact that she was dyslexic at a time when most young women seem to have spent their days endlessly reading and writing very long letters! A wonderful hero too – who doesn’t love a rake? – and I have to ad ...more
Annie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Started off fine, but lost steam near the middle and didn't gain it back. The end plot was too quick and wasn't rewarding.
Susan
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a fun romance!
Angie Elle
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC from Netgalley and the publisher

With several Anne Gracie books under my belt, I was confident I’d found an historical author I could count on for an enjoyable read. It makes me sad to report that her latest release, Marry in Scandal, just wasn’t what I was hoping for. I found Lily to be a heroine who was simple and hard to relate to, Edward incredibly underdeveloped, and the plot shallow. But the biggest problem for me with this book was that, aside from the setting and a few plot points, th
Jennifer Lynn
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Anne Gracie has always had a little something that helped set her apart in the Regency Romance genre, but with Married in Scandal, it seemed to be missing. I kept waiting for the warm fuzzies of her trademark sentimentalism to settle over me, only to be disappointed. I still liked the story, it just seemed a little more generic to me, rather forgettable.
herdys
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Actually better than I expected, but still not liking this author's heroes. Heroines are always smart and spunky but end up with men that are not the best out there.. Plus this one felt a little insta on her part. I did love the scenes with the grandpa, he was such a cutie!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • Someone to Romance (Westcott #7)
  • Someone to Care (Westcott #4)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #6.5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • The Luck of the Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #3)
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • The Bride Who Got Lucky (The Cavensham Heiresses #2)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • The Obedient Bride
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich

Marriage of Convenience (4 books)
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
  • Marry in Secret (Marriage of Convenience, #3)
  • Marry in Scarlet (Marriage of Convenience, #4)

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...