Start by marking “Blue Rider” as Want to Read:
Blue Rider

Blue Rider

On a gray and crowded city sidewalk, a child discovers a book. That evening, the child begins to read and is immediately carried beyond the repetitive sameness of an urban skyscape into an untamed natural landscape. The child experiences a moment of true joy, and as if in response to that single blissful moment, people seem to come alive in all the other rooms of the apart ...more
Published March 1st 2018 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Blue Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Rider

Start your review of Blue Rider
Mischenko
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blue Rider is a wordless picture book with very vivid and charming illustrations made with mixed media, including pieces of cut and ripped paper. In the book, a young girl walking through the city finds a book on a sidewalk. Discovering the colorful blue book puts an instant smile on her face. She takes it home and when she opens it, she’s transported to a whole new landscape as the blue horse takes her out and away from her everyday life in the city.

This book reminds me of the quote from Dr. S
Denise
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A wordless story about a little girl in a grey city who picks up a book off the street about a blue pony, and I guess the pages were laced with acid because it quickly moves from horse shapes into unformed blobs and rips of colored paper. I didn't actually finish this story because it made my baby VERY ANGRY for some reason and we had to stop and calm down. ...more
Lata
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated (wordless) story. A child finds a book on a sidewalk. When reading it, the child’s imagination takes off; this is personified by a blue horse running through a brilliantly coloured landscape.
Edward Sullivan
The transformative power of art is conveyed in this wordless picture book that makes innovative use of color and shapes.
Rebecca
In a drab world of grays and city angles, a young girl navigates sidewalks full of people on their phones. When she spots a bright blue book on the ground and takes it home, its burst of artwork (represented by a blue horse) colors her world and excites her imagination. This is a wonderful depiction of the power of art. The horse's pages are cut-paper collage. Pair with "The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse," "Henri's Scissors," or "The Wonder" by Faye Hanson. ...more
Peacegal
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh, where your imagination can take you, with the help of a book! Wonderful, surrealist art celebrates the joy of reading and its ability to life one out of boring surroundings!
Jen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not usually a fan of wordless picture books, so for one to keep my attention, it has to be extremely special. This fits the bill.

A girl finds a book and it takes her on a journey. The satisfied smile of a new reader makes the entire book come to life.
Barbara
I am a 3.5 for this one. In this wordless picture book from Canada, a youngster stumbles upon a book that is life-changing. As everyone rushes along the city streets and sidewalks, the youngster spots a book with a blue cover and takes it home. The book opens the child's eyes to the possibilities that await in the world around them with the horse on its cover moving across the sky and bringing color to the drab room in which the youngster is lying as well as scattering shapes and colors across t ...more
Tasha
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This wordless picture book tells the story of a little girl who discovers a blue book on the ground. She lives in a bustling gray city filled with people moving in all directions. Taking the book home, she reads it and the blue horse on the pages inspires her. Soon the blue horse is flying above the city and then moving to the countryside where the art becomes more geometric and even more colorful. Out of that burst of color, the girl emerges riding the blue horse. Then we are back in her bedroo ...more
Eliot Reads
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning colors and illustrations! A wordless book about a child who finds a book on the ground, in the middle of a busy city sidewalk. The book that he found consists of a blue horse that rides freely among the brightest, most beautiful, modern art style backgrounds, a stark contrast to the monotone colors of the city. As the boy imagines himself riding the blue horse in this surreal world, he is overjoyed by the happiness that he feels from experiencing so much vivid color and falls asleep hap ...more
Christy Baker
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction, art
A wordless picture book geared at children, the Blue Rider tales a short story of a book found on a busy city sidewalk and the imagination and magic found as it is read in her room. Bright colors and a blue horse leap from the book and a modern art interpretation fills the pages with color and shape. I loved the play of colors and concept, but didn't necessarily resonate with the modern art aesthetic of the book. It's definitely a good exposure for kids to different art styles and an encourageme ...more
Kate
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
While this book is bright and colourful and fun, its hard to make heads or tails of a few of the pages. There are no words in this book. From the pictures, I gather it is the story of a young girl who lives in a back and white and dreary world. One day, she finds a book on the street. She brings it home and it invites colour into her world. There are a few pages though where I had no idea what they were trying to convey.
Jacki
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lis622, childrens
A little girl finds a blue book on the sidewalk in a rather blah life and takes it home to read. Once she opens it, she is introduced to this world of brilliant color with a blue horse, and it transports her mind to this beautiful and happy place. This wordless picture book was a little confusing and too repetitive for me in the middle with the colorful pages, but ultimately, I like the message it presents.
Esutterlin
Wordless picture books can be used for so many things-- with planning.

I think it will be a fine book to use with a bilingual storytime, and ask parents to share with their children their ideas of the story and what is happening with each page, to talk about the art together.

I will pair with Eric Carle's The Blue Horse, and use for art discussions -- my first thought.
Nadia L. Hohn
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture books can be magical. They are experiences to be had. What a delightful worldess story told solely through illustrations-- colourful, vibrant, and blinding. Blue Rider is a horse that breaks the monotony of a grey, conformist society. This book is a flash of genius. As a Groundwood book, Blue Rider shares my publisher.
Rebecca Ann
A little girl finds a picturebook on the ground in a crowded, lonely city. She reads/sees pictures about a blue horse that flies across the sky and land. This is a very simple story and is best suited to K-2nd grade, though many preschoolers could enjoy it as well. It celebrated the power of art and imagination as well as a connection to nature.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a wordless book illustrated in vivid colours.
A child lives in an apartment building in a city, and everything seems colourless and uninteresting until one day that child finds a book on the sidewalk and takes it home. Reading this book brings so much beauty and colour in the child's life, as the one character in the book - a blue horse - inspires the child's imagination and delight.
Jane
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wordless picture book filled with the vibrant art of Geraldo Valerio. For me it was an homage to how books can take readers on a journey away from the dull and busy real world. I won a copy of this book from the publisher as part of the Goodreads Giveaways program.
Jj
The colors in this book are spectacular! I will be re-reading it soon just for that aspect, but I also did enjoy the story of the child finding the book and entering a world of imagination and vibrant life.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this one (though that's not a surprise seeing as I love horses and books). Little girl in a big city finds a book with a blue horse, and it helps her to escape a world where she feels small. No words, just gorgeous illustrations. ...more
Sandra
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, colourful picture book. Thanks to Goodreads for this giveaway.
I like the concept but not the execution in its entirety.
Tracie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A child finds a blue book that fills their dull world with color.
Kelly
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This wordless book stretches the imagination to the limit with abstract and brilliant colors.
Casandria
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A girl enters a world of imagination through a brightly colored book she finds
DaNae
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A visual expression of the transformative power of story.
Maeve
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-juvies-ya
Pretty illustrations, but I don't know if a child would get it... ...more
Alyx Campbell
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Very abstract with bright colors. I didnt quite understand the story and would like to try with a child
Julie Esanu
Reminiscent of The Red Book by Barbara Lehman
Pam
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting wordless picture book. Would probably be great for use in an art classroom for preschool or the primary grades.

• Julián Is a Mermaid (Julián, #1)
  • Dreamers
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Be You!
  • Isle of You
  • Teddy's Favorite Toy
Born in Brazil, Geraldo Valério also lives in Vancouver, BC. He began his career in children’s publishing with A Cobra Zola, published by Le Publishing House and recently illustrated Do You Have a Hat? for Simon and Schuster Books for Young People.