Start by marking “Little Book of Conflict Transformation: Clear Articulation Of The Guiding Principles By A Pioneer In The Field” as Want to Read:

A guide to conflict resolution, or as the author prefers, “conflict transformation” that emphasizes the importance of building relationships and social structures through a radical respect for human rights and life.

This clearly articulated statement offers a hopeful and workable approach to conflict—that eternally beleaguering human situation. John Paul Lederach is
Published January 1st 2003 by Good Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Book of Conflict Transformation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Book of Conflict Transformation

Start your review of Little Book of Conflict Transformation: Clear Articulation Of The Guiding Principles By A Pioneer In The Field
Clara
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A very short book, for being course literature. This also reduced the price significantly which made my student heart happy. Overall the book helped me with my essay and studies with conflict transformation. The book only gave you what you wanted, to extra pages or even chapters that didn't bring anything new to your knowledge. No, the book was well composed and had a good mixture between lame researcher-humour, diagrams and summarising sentences.
Yasmine Flodin-Ali
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The language in this book is too abstract for my taste in certain parts, I think it would have benefited from more real-world examples. Having said that the book has a lot of helpful takeaways including:
- change is not evenly paced, nor is it one-directional
- conflict resolution means moving towards, not away from, appeals to identity
- conflict must be seen as a natural phenomenon that creates potential for constructive growth, and it should involve a willingness to respond in ways that
Thinn
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
As this is a very short book, it contain a lot of terminology and I got lost. He used a lot of metaphors and I was like what??? I can started to relate things after page 44 (Note: I read the PDF version). I wish he can explain things more simple way. The language he use is not very difficult and I can read it smoothly. However, nothing left in my brain though I would flip the pages. Maybe this is a new topic for me?
Karan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enlightening, good exposition of theory and basics on how to apply. Reading this for a course in Restorative Justice.
Brenda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an assigned textbook for my graduate program. A wonderful (and short!) book describing the benefit of approaching conflict from a transformative approach to build and repair relationships rather than just resolving conflict, which often leads to just “surface” repairs to an issue. If you’re interested in conflict resolution, negotiation, mediation, etc., this is a great accompaniment to your leadership library.
Denise Sudbeck
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is sort of half a book, well written with some interesting and usable actions but leaves at least one big gaping hole. There is nothing in this work that addresses systemic and individual dysfunction which feeds so much conflict. The underlying assumption is that all parties are basically of good will. Truth is, sometimes they are not.
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the suggestions in this book to be straight forward and actionable. Well presented, this book gives the reader tools for all aspects of life.
Douglas Lord
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Conflict transformation, best characterized as an orientation or framework, is as far from a practical tool as possible, says Lederach (international peace building, Joan B. Kroch Institute). Instead, it offers "perspective on conflict and change." Though Lederach considers conflict on personal, relational, structural, and cultural levels, his extremely wide focus is on societal conflicts; these are optimistically seen as opportunities to create "constructive change ... reduce violence, increase ...more
Scott Hughes
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely a challenging perspective to conflict resolution or management perspectives. Conflict transformation perceives conflict as ongoing and should be leveraged for change that list lasting. As opposed to content centered conflict transformation is relationship centered. Perhaps the best way to put the distinction as the author makes it, is to see the guiding questions for each.
Conflict Resolution Perspective: How do we end something not desired?
Conflict Transformation Perspective: How do
Teri Peterson
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: church
Chapters nine and ten are the most useful, I think. The first eight have too much abstract language. Cutting through it to the concepts was harder than it should have been, and the length was excessive for the concept. More examples or cases would have helped tremendously--let a story tell rather than trying to explain!
The purpose of the book is good. I was just frustrated because I wish it was more accessible, as the topic is so important. I would not be able to hand this book to someone with
Anoud Alammar
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A one-day read that was required for a peace and justice class but has proved rather interesting. It addresses conflict transformation, how it is approached and how it differs from conflict resolution.
Moving from using violence to prevent mass atrocities (or regular daily conflicts) toward using more creative, responsive, constructive and finally, non-violent methods to accomplish goals seems to be the main point of discussion.
Paulo Peres
"O impulso de resolver nos leva a oferecer no curto prazo um alívio para a dor e a ansiedade através da negociação de respostas aos problemas urgentes. Essas respostas podem ou não abordar o contexto e os padrões mais profundos dos relacionamentos que geraram."
Gabriel Pelletier
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I add this as high-impact action scenes play in the ad above from Bourne Ultimatum.... Not the way to resolve conflict! Bourne will surely find that (3 movies later) violence will consume his life, and that he actually instigates the conflict he is a part of. La da da Da da.
Marion
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a short book with a good overview of the principles of conflict resolution as applied to international situations with long histories of cultural disputes and in-fighting. I enjoyed the "big picture", long view, systems perspective offered in the book.
Christina
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
Very provocative! I loved the ideas but needed more concrete examples of this process at work. I'll use this as a reference book to plug in my own conflicts.
Preston
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Comprehensive, yet mildly redundant, overview of the field of CT. Insightful examination of the differences between transformation and resolution.
Leslie Steen
Tim Hoiland
Jan 27, 2011
Katie
Jan 30, 2017

• Little Book of Restorative Justice: A Bestselling Book By One Of The Founders Of The Movement
  • The Little Book of Strategic Peacebuilding: A vision and framework for peace with justice (Little Books of Justice & Peacebuilding)
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • The Little Book of Racial Healing: Coming to the Table for Truth-Telling, Liberation, and Transformation
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Becoming a Church that Cares Well for the Abused
  • The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race
  • Becoming Us: Using the Enneagram to Create a Thriving Gospel-Centered Marriage
  • They Say / I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Little Book of Circle Processes: A New/Old Approach To Peacemaking
  • When Peace Is Not Enough: How the Israeli Peace Camp Thinks about Religion, Nationalism, and Justice
  • The Palestinian-Israeli Conflict: A Very Short Introduction
  • After the Last Sky: Palestinian Lives
  • The Aging Brain
  • Adequate Yearly Progress
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • The Golden Country
John Paul Lederach is Professor of International Peacebuilding at the University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, and concurrently Distinguished Scholar at Eastern Mennonite University. He has written widely on conflict resolution and mediation. He holds a Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Colorado. In 1994 he became the founding director for the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding at ...more