Start by marking “Dragon God (The First Dragon Rider, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon God (The First Dragon Rider, #1)

Dragon God

(The First Dragon Rider #1)

The new world is calling...

Niell Torvald is desperate to prove himself—his father’s warlord kingdom depends on him. When a vicious attack on the way to the Draconis Order monastery nearly kills him, it becomes clear that grave trials await him on this path. Joreth, the wise monk who saves his life, advises caution upon entering the sacred halls. His mission is to learn ar
Kindle Edition
Published June 27th 2017

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Niell Torvald is on a mission is to learn arcane magic from the monks of the Draconis Order monastery that will help to cement his father’s power, but Niell will need more than magical arts alone to navigate the challenges before him. Among the students, Niell meets Char, who senses evil deep within the ranks of the Order’s membership. She takes him to a dragon she has raised, Paxala, and the three become fast friends. But when Niell’s brothers
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
I really liked this book. The beginning threw me off a bit due to the fact that a lot of fantasy-esque terms were used that hadn't been introduced or explained, however they come into play further within the book. I'm not all too familiar with the fantasy genre other than Lord of the Rings, so I didn't know quite what I was in for with this book but given that I really enjoy Dragonheart I was interested in what this book had to offer.

I won't go too much into detail as I don't want to spoil this
Eric Buffington
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cover art captured me right away! I was very interested to see this dragon in action. The title also gave away that someone would eventually ride a dragon. I was a little surprised at the twist and who ended up riding which dragon (no spoilers here). Just something that I thought was well done.

I liked the story. The world had some complicated politics, which I also like to see. The writing style was good and kept me reading.

I enjoyed the character development of this book at the beginning, a
Heena Rathore P.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF - Review to come later.
Kelsey
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I was a friend to dragons. It was like one of those old fairy tales. I was a dragon-friend, me, Neill of Torvald!” -Ava Richardson, Dragon God

The Draconis Order monastery helps hold together the three kingdoms ruled by three brothers. When rumors of war and contention between the three kingdoms, a child from each noble is sent to the monastery to learn and in turn bring the kingdoms together. But no one knows where the Draconis Order gets their magic from or why the dragons are on their side. D
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
INTENSE, INTRIGUING ADVENTURE IN A WORLD OF YA FANTASY.

Watching Niell grow and begin to find himself was inspiring in some places and just fascinating in others. This was a boy becoming a man and learning that there sometimes is more than just family and loyalties. Sometimes those things can change and grow as one grows. Ava Richardson gave a world that was filled with intriguing elements a touch of the old blended with the fantasy of a well developed imaginations. Tiffany Williams did a specta
Thomas Maher
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Loved the book and want more. Cannot wait till book 2. I want more time between female dragon Paxala and Neil. Need more saving of the dragons. Please make longer and more pages of that free book that was on Facebook. I want to know more about south kingdom and how dragon and rider bond relationship is and see how they are treated and if they are truly good and why only one rider. Hope they be more deep relationship though and see how true bond is and how south kingdom protects it people
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Warring realms of man, magic & dragons

Realms of !an , magic and dragons intermingled when treachery and evil try to combine and overthrow one Prince for two others.
rusty r.ridenour
A book to read , is this book indeed

This is a really good book to read it kept me entertained and it seems like I couldn't put it down were wondering what would happen next
Cheryl Whitty
Reviewed on Behalf http://bookaddict.live,
The story centred on a young lad of 16, Neill who is the third son of a Warlord in the middle kingdom, because he is also a bastard he has been picked on by his older brothers all his life. His father loves him dearly, but he has always felt ashamed all his life.
When the Draconis order Monastery calls for the three Kingdoms young people to be sent for training. Neill Torvalds is sent by his father to find the Draconis magic secrets to help his father.
Whe
Neil
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

I was sucked into a wonderful world with great characters that left me wanting more.
A great Fantasy read.

Susan
This was a very fun dragon fantasy novel! The characters drew me in right away and the setting was interesting – a high mountain monastery! Niell is charming in his insecurities and his bumbling ways. He’s trying very hard to do the right thing but the trick is figuring out what the right thing is – obey his father’s commands or stay true to his new found friends. Tough place for the lad to be in too, being a bastard son of a War Lord.

Char I really liked right away. She’s also bastard born and a
Notes From 'Round the Bend
*I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Ava Richardson. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it. **

Fantasy is my jam, ya’ll, and I tend to leap without looking when it’s dangled in front of me, so when I got the email for the “Dragon God” audiotour, I jumped on it. Because really, nothing is more representative of the genre than dragons, right? There are so many iterations of them,
Shelby Hild
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon Gods is the first book of the First Dragon Rider Trilogy. I read it following finishing Dragon Sickness because I am obsessed with dragons.

The book starts out with what feels like a superfluous letter from Neill's father explaining what is going on basically: that Neill is being sent to the Draconis Monastery in hopes to learn the secrets of the mysterious monks.

I say it is superfluous because within the first chapter of the actual story it's pretty obvious.

The overall feel of this boo
Eniko
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
AUDIOBOOK edition

An interesting twist on the dragon rider story. Recommending to younger listeners.
It is heavy on the human side and very little on the dragon side. I would have likes a bit more background story on the dragons and how they came to be in that crater. A bit confused though... Are they captive? Why are the monks feeding them? Are they bad or are they good? Are they used by the abbott or are they using him?
I liked that Niell is given a chance to prove himself, how he grows in charac
Ginny
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Am not a big fan of books about dragons and such, but I have to admit that this one kept me totally entertained and needing to hear what would happen next. It had a seamless flow to it and very easy to understand without leaving you confused. The author did an excellent job writing this and the narrator did an excellent job telling it. A great novel for the young readers who like stories like this one.
Kayla
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very slow in the beginning. It took me a long time to read it however the second part redeemed the story as the pace really picked up.

I'm reading this one along with my 13 year old son and the agrees with me on the pacing. He read book 2 already and asked for 3 so I'm guessing he likes the series. I'll be reading book 2 shortly.

Another issue I had with the book is that it needed another round of editing. I found several mistakes.
Gayreth Walden
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, there be Dragons!

I love dragons and this is a wonderful well written story about these wondrous creatures and two young people who care for one in particular. Also there are mages and young ones in training. Friendship, treachery, threats of war are all part of the story. It is great. I highly recommend this book.
Stephen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a suprising great read, with characters which will have you rooting for them. You will not be disappointed if you decide to read this book. Great writing and storytelling will keep you engaged til the end. Great Reading Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay Thurman
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

The first book was great with wonderful character development and story line. The second book continues the story but elevates the whole story to the next level. If you liked the first book you will really enjoy the second in. The series.
Sherron L Pace
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only half Royal

When you're a Prince and you take a lover who pays for your escaped? Sent off to a mountain containing Monks and dragons these half wanted children face an adventure.
Dwayne Tranbarger
Dragon God

Neil has a tough time at the monastery. And as he has grown and made friends his time is changing for the worst. The Abbot and the quartermaster are against him. But with his friend Chat and Dragon Palaxa Neil was great
Pam Thomas
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written well good suspense

I thought the book was written well there was a good suspense and a very good connecting between items seamless

Steven
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like dragons and intrigue

Good plot and a steady read. Good mix of action and story to be very enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the next part
John & Diane Pierpoint
Good Story

Good characters to identify with and enjoy their
growing up together and bonding together. Lots of twists and turns that you never see coming.
Chris Robison
Sep 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring

I didnt care about any of the characters. I found myself skipping whole pages just so I could be done with this.
Lee
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good start to a series
Jerry Graddy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Ggggggggccccffcgffffvccvcvgggvvvvvvvvvvvv CFC hi. Go. Go gg. Hi bkbcc. Vs. buddy. BFF. Jags bkhc Bosc. Mac. Mr. Bkfc njfc big valentines
Somebody
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story was decent and engaging but the characters didnt feel alive. Not very well done imagery, and fleshed out characters.
Glenda Dykstra
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written

The author builds the characters well nd the storyline is interesting, char could use a little more 'fleshing out' but still a good read.
  • The Balborite Curse (Dragon Stones Saga, #4)
  • The Year of the Knife
  • Concealed (Beholder #2)
  • Horror, Humor, and Heroes
  • In the Beginning
  • Labyrinth of Fire (Island of Fog, #2)
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Awakening (Bloodline #1)
  • The Departed (The Departed Series #1)
  • The Reason for Dragons
  • The Book of Beasts
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • Oliver (This is Our Life Series #3)
  • For the Clan
  • Gypsy Blood
  • A Princess's Duty (Of Fire and Frost, #1)
  • Gateway to Nifleheim (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1)
  • Sail (Haunted Stars, #1)
Ava Richardson writes epic page-turning Young Adult Fantasy books. She creates lovable characters and drops them into intricate worlds that are barely contained within your eReader. Her current work is the ‘Return of the Darkening Series’, which features Seb, Thea and their shared dragon, Kalax.

She grew up on a steady diet of fantasy and science fiction books handed down from her two big brothers

The First Dragon Rider (3 books)
  • Dragon Dreams (The First Dragon Rider, #2)
  • Dragon Mage (The First Dragon Rider, #3)