Start by marking “Wilder” as Want to Read:
Wilder

Wilder

I met Melissa in the rubber room, a.k.a. in-school suspension. And that’s not her real name.
She had secrets, I had enemies.
“People are either useful or dangerous,” she said. “One or the other.”
“Which one am I?” I said.
“You’re both.”
Meili was right. (That’s her real name.)
You can solve a lot of problems if you don’t mind getting hurt.

Jason Wilder is in permanent in-school s
Published November 13th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Wilder, please sign up.

Jaden
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book!
Dave Bradley
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is agonizing and beautiful without ever really trying to be. It just is. There's a level of honesty in it that I don't see in much other fiction, especially the other contemporary YA novels that I've read. The characters are comprised less of quirks and more of genuine humanity.

I really haven't read a book that made me feel this way in a long time. It's not always happy, if ever, and it's not tragic, either. There's elements of both. It just feels painfully real.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A definite swerve at the end, although I can't say the narrator didn't warn us of this from the beginning. A strange read, but I was pulled in by the characters and along for the ride.
Brooke
Jason Wilder is spending his senior year in the Rubber Room, AKA in-school suspension. He landed there because he is considered to be a danger to his peers ... he is, after all, an arsonist, but he’d tell you otherwise. Jason wiles away the hours reading fantasy novels and not actually doing any of the schoolwork assigned to him. That is, until the mysterious Meili walks into the room.

The only thing Jason knows about Meili is that she ended up in the Rubber Room for breaking another girl’s fing
Martina Urbanová
Viem, že kniha sa mi snažila povedať niečo naozaj dôležité, avšak hovorila mi to takým podivne mätúcim spôsobom, že som si nakoniec z čítania odniesla len poznatok, že hlavný hrdina bol najskôr blázon, ktorý sa rád rozpráva sám so sebou a predstiera pri tom, že sa vlastne rozpráva s jednou určitou osobou.
(Ale prvá tretina bola fakt super. Veľmi ironická. Veľmi zábavná.)
Ashley
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
review to come.
Katherine
"I wanted her to remake me... And that disgusted her. She didn't want me to be like her; she wanted me to be like me."

Holy crap, man, this book was insane! Even though it warns you that the characters "swerve," I still was not prepared. This whole book is one crazy, wild ride- and I'm still not sure if I've fully processed it all clearly yet. It starts with a bang, a whole lot of "what!?", and only accelerates from there. A chaotic whirlwind- that's what these characters are. And after the initi
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 17%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

My reoccurring thought: What the fuck? Wilder was crazy and extremely convoluted. It was often difficult to follow their conversations, because they were random and bounced all over the place. I could tell the author was trying to build suspense, and I'm sure there would have been a big reveal
Kelly Lyn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason's life is literal hell. He is the school outcast and is in permanent in school suspension. He has to spend his days in a no longer used classroom, which has been dubbed the Rubber Room. He can't talk to anyone, he can't take any "weapons" with him, He just has to sit there, shut up and do his work. His boring days change when the new "foreign" girl gets put in the rubber room for breaking a popular girls finger. They connect and form a bond when they shouldn't be associating at all.
As the
Brittany
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Netgalley provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review

3.5 stars.

This book was highly entertaining, and I thoroughly enjoyed the characters of Jason Wilder and Meili; however, I felt like it was really lacking a punch or sense of urgency the first half of the book. This really led me to be underwhelmed and I struggled staying committed to the text.

The second half had much better pacing and conflicts, and I felt a stronger sense of urgency about Jason's issues related to his
Liz
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book to characterize. I had the feeling from the first page that everything was a bit off and that there was more that I didn't know ... and was I ever right. I really got into Jason. He was an interesting, sympathetic and slightly tragic figure that had me rooting for him. Meili didn't appeal so much but I did find her intriguing. The story was an absorbing read that moved right along and the ending was an eye-opener. I have to say that this was an enjoyable book that left me som ...more
Kathleen
Wilder was truly a wild ride. It kept you involved and trying to figure out how it would end. One of those crazy relationship stories with extra mysterious twists.

The back jacket says ages 12-18, but I disagree. There is explicit sex and violence. Not one to buy for the school library, but fine for a young adult who's into some shit anyway.

(I received this in a goodreads giveaway.)
Lorrie Kim
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A strange book, and that's a compliment. The main character, almost-adult white male Jason, is carefully drawn, offbeat and occasionally lacking in self-awareness in a way that is utterly real. I appreciated the compelling character Meili, who was complex and immediate in a way that felt recognizably female and Asian to me. Confident writing, oddly haunting.
Stephanie