Start by marking “Hide and Seek” as Want to Read:

The sun is out. Your little boy is smiling. The next time you look… he’s gone.

Lana Cross would do anything to protect her perfect family but on a trip to an adventure park, they slip out of her sight. When she finds her husband, he’s out cold on the forest floor. Then the truth sinks in: Cooper, her four-year-old son, is missing.

No one stopped the man carrying the sleeping
Published August 31st 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide and Seek

Start your review of Hide and Seek
j e w e l s
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bejeweled
See all my twistalicious reviews at www.booksbejeweled.com

I love the way this book starts! Page one and BOOM! You are right in the middle of a mom fighting a backyard intruder who has scooped up her 4-year old son and is making his way over the fence and….I don’t want to give anymore away, but it’s a race until the end of the book. AND this is one tough mama bear.

Richard Parker is the solid writer of this thriller (and my favorite tiger name from LIFE OF PI). He knows how to keep up the suspense
Jill McGill
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sun is out. Your little boy is smiling. The next time you look… he’s gone.

Hide and Seek grabbed me right from the start - intense, dark, and creepy! Richard Parker knows how to capture the reader's attention with a jaw dropping first chapter. This is every parent's worst nightmare - attempted abduction of your child right in front of your eyes. But the story doesn't end there - it's only the beginning!

Hide and Seek was a fast-paced and well-written thriller that I couldn't put down. Thi
Linda Strong
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2017
4.5 Stars

A parent's worst nightmare ... Lana looks outside where her 4-year-old son, Cooper, is playing. Only what she sees is a masked man grabbing her son and throwing him in a bag of some sort. No time to call for help ... no time to call the police. She goes running out and chasing him for she's worth. He hits her, throws her to the ground and kicks her. She gets up not letting the pain stop her. She grabs him, she bites him, she grabs the bag containing her son. Then they hear the sirens co
Lisa
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Hide And Seek by Richard Jay Parker was a fast paced thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat it started out at an explosive start that kept me captivated right through to the end. I love the characterisation & the grittiness of the storyline it certainly took me on a rollercoaster ride , you think you know then BAMM something else pops into your face I enjoyed this novel but found Lana & Todd telling two POV a bit daunting.

Lana is devastated when her son Cooper is nearly kidnapped by a man
Sue
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
HIDE AND SEEK is a fast-paced and well-written thriller by Richard Jay Parker, that is sure to please. It grabbed my attention from the get go. A parent’s worst nightmare…the tried abduction of your child right before your eyes!

The cameras don’t s
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Do you know what I like when it comes to thrillers? Stories that keep surprising and thrilling! And, Hide and Seek has both a surprising and thrilling storyline. Also, the blurb doesn't give away too much of the story. Frankly, I was a bit surprised at first when I started the book, it was action from page one and I had thought it would start with the trip to Blue Crest Adventure Park, but no, it started off with an event that surprised me. Yeah, I was surprised from page one. Now, since this is ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was a fast paced edgy dark thriller that kept me on my toes from start to finish. This is now in my long list of Top 17 Reads of 2017.

Richard Parker excels at taking the reader on one heck of a story journey. You need a lie down after reading his books.

I had read Scare Me (and promoted it with his previous publisher) so I knew I was in for a great read with this new one. I really like Richard's willingness to stretch my imagination. He's a great writer.

In this book a young boy is almost tak
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is one author who makes sure he grabs you kicking and screaming in to the story with every parents worst nightmare.

We first meet Lana when she is fighting with everything she has to stop someone abducting her son. Well right away my heart was in my mouth. Apart from my children dying, abduction has got to be my next worst fear. Every emotion that Lana was feeling, I felt every bit of it.

You don’t have to be a parent to have compassion for Lana. I loved how strong she was. I think most of us
Chloe
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
After Lana prevents the kidnapping of her four year old boy she lives in the constant fear as the kidnapper leaves Lana with a chilling message “ tomorrow “ When they receive holiday tickets to an adventure park , Todd her husband thinks it will be a good change for them as a family . But Todd is attacked and Cooper is kidnapped making Lana’s worst nightmare come true. The police are involved but both parents refuse to take their help and try to rescue Cooper by following their own leads . With ...more
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Such a big fan of Richard Parker. I loved this book. It keeps you guessing all the way never knowing what might happen next. When Cooper goes missing on a family holiday his parents will stop at nothing to find him. A very big thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book to read and review
Nicki
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg,This book is absolutely AMAZING,fast paced,danger packed,gripping thrill ride from beginning to end

If I could I would seriously give this book far more than five stars

When Lana and Todd win a trip to Blue Crest Adventure Park,their four year old son Cooper is ecstatic but while Lana is distracted by her phone,Todd is attacked and Cooper is abducted.

No one stopped the man carrying the sleeping boy,they both just vanished without a trace.Then Lana receives an anonymous message,telling her to v
Malina Skrobosinski
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'I Survived the Ride'

And what a ride it was! Phew! This was my first book by Richard Jay Parker, and it absolutely blew me away! I was captivated and completely beside myself with worry about what was going to happen to Lana, Cooper, and Todd. This is a page turner for sure! Richard Jay Parker has a talent for suspense!

You are gripped from the start when Lana Cross is caught in what every parent fears, someone is trying to kidnap her child. She's caught in a desperate struggle to save her c
Monnie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This book would, I truly believe, make an excellent motion picture - one that would keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. As a book? Sorry, but it just didn't do it for me.

It's not the plot, which is solid even though it's not terribly original. A child is kidnapped, his parents (one of whom has a deep dark secret) are distraught, police are not doing what parents think they should, parents set out on their own to find their child against all sensible advice and chaos ensues. Rather
Eva
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Richard Parker made quite an impression with his previous offering Follow You. This one is a bit different and I was pleasantly surprised as it shows the author is able to diversify and still produce a most excellent thriller. Think less gore and icky stuff, more deliciously creepy. With a character called Mr. Whispers, how could it possibly be anything else?

Nine months ago, someone tried to kidnap four year old Cooper from his garden. His mother, Lana, foiled the attempt but has been suf
Lee
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young child, Cooper is almost abducted, it is only his mother's determination that stops this from happening. Straight away you are aware that this is going to be an action packed story. For mother Lana this is just the beginning of her nightmare. For months after this she lives with the fear that someone is still after her son as the kidnapper's last word to her was 'tomorrow'. Lana is consumed by what happened and begins to search for this man through an app called ''Right where you are stan ...more
The Book Review Café
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found at http://thebookreviewcafe.com

OMG! Richard Parker certainly knows how to grab the reader’s attention, with a “heart thumping” opening chapter I found myself well and truly hooked. Imagine one minute your child’s having the time of their life and the next minute their gone, taken by a stranger, it’s got to be every parents biggest nightmare, the author expertly builds on this fear making Hide And Seek a highly unnerving read.

Lana is very protective of her son Cooper a
Judy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The action starts immediately with the attempted abduction of a child and never quits until the last page. If you like a fast-paced, heart-pounding, edge-of-your-seat thriller, this is it. My heart went out to Lana who never recovered from the attempted abduction before being thrust into a nightmare. The interwoven subplot going on with Todd added more intricacies and more action.

Thanks to Richard Parker and Bookouture through Netgalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Renita D'Silva
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Richard Parker has done it again! I absolutely LOVED Be My Killer. It was one of my favourite books of 2017. And so I was eagerly looking forward to this book and wow! It is a masterpiece! From the gripping first line this book takes hold of you and doesn't let go, the story taking you on a tense, nail-biting journey of many twists where nothing is as it seems. The writing is brilliant and packs a punch, the pace driving the story along and you with it. I lived this story and it is a credit to t ...more
Shalini Boland
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that at chapter one, my heart was beating so fast I didn't know if I could carry on reading. It was terrifying!!!! This is every parent's worst nightmare. What follows is a twisty, turning, chilling, gripping thriller that - even as I was chewing my fingernails - I couldn't put down. Fast-paced and tense until the end. Would make a fantastic movie or TV drama. ...more
Ellen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has been a few days since I finished reading Hide and Seek and I still keep thinking about it; playing on a parent’s worst fears of anything happening to your child and introducing one of the most sinister characters I have read this year in the form of Mr Whisper. Seriously, I had the heebie jeebies from the opening chapter and the first failed abduction attempt of Cooper and from then was taken on a heart pounding journey right up until the last page!!

Understandably Lana is a little parano
Susan Hampson
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
I am like a moth to the light, I see a book by Richard Parker and I know that I have to read it. “Follow me” scared the hell out of me but this, this played with my mind. This fuelled every  motherly instinct that I owned and I wanted to come out fighting. It is tense with an urgency about the story that increased my reading speed at every chapter.
The opening pages just make every mothers worse nightmares into every mothers worse reality. There just can’t be a more devastating sight than what Co
Denise
Oct 01, 2017 added it
Who is Mr. Whisper?

A kidnapped child is every parent's worst nightmare. When Cooper is abducted during a family vacation, Lana and Todd pull out all the stops to try to find their son.

This mystery thriller has a lot of tell and dialog along with genre typical action. Some creepy abandoned places and a couple of plot lines. Kidnappers are never nice people, so the villains are exactly the type you expect. The "follow" scenes seemed to drag on forever, however, and I found myself having to ram dow
Elizabeth
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hide and Seek by Richard Parker
By:Richard Parker
Five stars

What it's about
The sun is out. Your little boy is smiling. The next time you look… he’s gone.

When Lana and Todd win a trip to Blue Crest Adventure Park, their four-year-old Cooper is ecstatic, but when Lana goes to meet them, Todd is out cold, and Cooper is missing.

No one stopped the man with the sleeping boy. The cameras don’t show where he went. Then Lana finds her family picture on an online map detailing bloody murder sites. This is no random att
Dee Ryan
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know where to start with this book. As a parent it’s a scene that has played out a thousand times in my house and I think this book will stay with me for a long time. 4 year old Cooper is outside playing and suddenly he’s not there. He’s in the arms of a man that is fleeing from the family garden and is trying to put Cooper into a bag. I’m not going to lie I nearly put this book down because from the very start this hit home like no book ever has, and I’m not sure my kids will ever ...more
Emma
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite not actually reading it, I fell a little bit in love with Richard Parker’s previous Bookouture release, Follow Me. I have been desperate to read it since it’s release but in usual damppebbles style, I haven’t managed to fit it in between my blog tour reads. So what better way to make sure his latest book was read than to feature on the blog tour (sometimes it’s the only way!).

So having (weirdly) fallen for Parker’s previous release (I promise to read and review it soon!) I was excited an
Claire
You’re there in the kitchen watching your offspring playing out in the sanctuary that is your back garden when appears a figure. A masked figure who proceeds to try and take your child. What do you do?! I don’t know about you but I’d like to think I’d do what Lana did – go and fight. Defend the safety of my property and rescue my son from the clutches of evil. What follows for Lana is a tale of obsession and worry and neither are healthy things to be gripped by.

The whole back garden incident rea
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: August 4th 2017

"Right Where You're Standing - RWYS - was her indispensable app. It was dubbed the 'Wikipedia of Death'."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Noelle
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, I have to say WHAT A COVER! I am totally drawn to covers and this one grabbed my eye immediately. I would have grabbed this beauty off the shelf and raced to the counter to pay – without even reading the blurb- all based on THAT cover! — just had to get that out there….

Set in Jaxton, USA – the reader comes face to face with fear, paranoia, obsession, loss, guilt, manipulation, abuse, damaged childhoods, shame, retribution, the need to be noticed – albeit for the WRONG reasons and the
OutlawPoet
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining read.

It’s not so much twisty as it is super suspenseful – and creepy. In fact, I think it was the creepy factor that I loved the most. Part of it is that I’m a mom and the idea of something like this happening with my own kid fills me with terror. But part it was just he incredibly creepy idea of the horrifying little game that’s being played here.

Keep in mind that, at times, you’ll want to throw the ebook against the virtual wall when characters start doing incredibly s
Shell Baker
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Scare Me and Follow You by Richard Parker I couldn't wait to see what Richard had in store for us readers with his latest novel Hide and Seek. Boy can can this guy write a story. I love the fact that they are always dark and twisty and he doesn't disappoint with this utterly gripping pageturner. Where I found myself gripped from the opening….and what an opening it is!

Imagine witnessing a masked man trying to attempt to kidnap your child. This is every parent's worse nightmare. But
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Her Last Mistake (Detective Gina Harte, #6)
  • Their Silent Graves (Detective Gina Harte, #7)
  • Avenge the Dead
  • Baby Doll
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • The Child Next Door
  • The Other Daughter
  • A Death Most Monumental (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #8)
  • One of Us is Lying
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • The Heatwave
  • Her Dark Heart (Detective Gina Harte, #5)
  • Echoes of the Runes
  • The Secret
  • Little Girl Lost (DI Robyn Carter, #1)
  • Bad to the Bone (DI Bliss, #1)
  • The Woman Upstairs
  • I Know Your Secret
R J Parker's creative career began as a TV script writer, script editor and producer. It was this background that fed into a series of cinematic, high-concept thrillers that grabs the reader from the very first page and doesn't release them until the last. R J Parker now lives in Salisbury. One More Chapter/HarperCollins have published THE DINNER PARTY, WHILE YOU SLEPT and THE GOOD NEIGHBOUR with ...more

News & Interviews