Start by marking “Design systems : A practical guide to creating design languages for digital products.” as Want to Read:

Not all design systems are equally effective. Some can generate coherent user experiences, others produce confusing patchwork designs. Some inspire teams to contribute to them, others are neglected. Some get better with time, more cohesive and better functioning; others get worse, becoming bloated and cumbersome.
Published 2017

To ask other readers questions about Design systems , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design systems

Nadya Tsech
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-stuff
I would recommend this book to designers who haven't started to build their own library or just at the beginning. It has a lot of useful theory and some practical tips on building the library and less on maintaining and improving.
Onno Bruins
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goede basis uiteenzetting van wat designsystems zijn, wat de voordelen ervan zijn en hoe je ze inricht in beheert.
Cat
Instead of thinking in terms of static pages, teams are starting to approach design in a more systematic way.  This book talks about how to make an effective design system that helps generate coherent user experiences, inspires teams to contribute to them, and get better with time. Here are my notes:

Design patterns are any repeating, reusable part of the interface (eg button, typography).  A design system is a set of connected patterns and shared practices for a digital product.

The domain influe
Wilson Jimenez
Review

Good insight on an interesting topic, a bit redundant but still good content. If you've some experience in the industry, some concepts will be somewhat clear by now like the importance of getting buy-in or the intricacies of coordinating work and communication between product teams within a company.

There are many references to great articles through out the book that I'd like to read next, would've liked to have them as an aggregated list at the end like a bibliography.

Notes

Design Syst
Jean-Francois Potvin
Learned a lot on pattern librairies and design systems. Interestingly enough, our team is starting to build the equivalent for our digital products. Will definitely continue to read on that subject and try to put in practice some of the advices provided in the book. Next up : Inclusive Design Patterns.
Milana Stanic
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
This should be considered a handbook, not just a book, you can go through it and something will stick BUT ultimately you will have to make a specific case for your specific needs and this book as Santa's little helper will do it. It has completely changed my mind on some things and opened my eyes for others, I am amazed. So, why 4 then? The structure is weird for me, I am not sure how to explain it apart form, it is not chronologically set and that confuses me. All the operations I need to do I ...more
Simon Vandereecken
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advised, business
Alors que je suis plongé en plein dans un projet de Design System, ce livre était un bon point de départ. Les idées qu'il donne font énormément dans ce sens ce genre de projet et permettent de développer de très bonnes fondations ainsi qu'une réflexion intéressante autour du projet. Il offre de plus un tour d'horizon assez intéressant, bien que trop succint à mon goût, de divers systèmes de design utilisés par des firmes de tailles différentes. Bien qu'assez intéressant il reste extrêmement théo ...more
Nick
Alla writes a handsome book here, catering to the needs of visual and UX designers seeking a systematic and modular approach to their work. There’s much redundancy on basic design concepts, though: identifying principles, building consensus, clarifying functions, the difficulty of naming. And there are only passing references to front end implementation strategies, which has my interest. Recommended, for visual designers, but not developers per se.
Ardavan Mir
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rated 5 because this book served the purpose it promised to me. It exceeded my expectation. Alla creates a simple and comprehensive categorization for design patterns which she explores each one more in details throughout the book. The book is full of different examples of processes and practices of different teams.

I also appreciate the way Alla avoids complication of an issue that could easily get overcomplicated.
Mark DeHate
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who's starting the process of creating a design system, this book has been very timely. It's packed with clear and straightforward examples from a wide variety of existing systems. It's full of real-world and concrete advice, as well as stories of design systems that could have gone better.

Highly recommended for anybody that's thinking about implementing a design system.
John C
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alla provides great insights and perspectives, not only for the design of interfaces themselves, but also what's necessary at a people level in order to have a strong philosophical foundation for tackling big projects and involve stakeholders across design, development, marketing, and more.
Nicholas De Lucena
A very straightforward and practical guide to the subject. For those with a design or programming background, the book feels a little bit obvious at certain parts but overall it is a very useful guide on the subject.
Vu Tran
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
The author has laid out a nice foundation for any team that currently seeks create or manage a systems for their products. The book caters to designers, engineers, and writers as it provides different perspectives of how each member thinks when working in a systems team.
Matej Latin
A few golden nuggets here and there but a lot of repetition. I feel it could be shorter and more focused. I loved the part of systemizing the functional and perceptual patterns, that was the best bit!
Stephanie Tanata
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about general knowledge of design system and how to create one by examples from great design library in AirBnB, Attlassian and TED
Bram
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I think it’s a great introduction to Design Systems. For me it lacked a bit of depth. But still, every product owner, designer and developer should read it..
Jeff
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise and pragmatic book on the “how” of building design systems. Tons of real examples are used to show every part of the process. Highly recommended.
Dennis
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-ui
Great and in depth overview and reference. Also inspiring, really liked to read it.
Anton Roolaart
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading with practical, easy to understand examples

As a UX Designer, I enjoyed this book very much. The author explains the concepts in an easy to understand approach.
Luis Argumedo
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great explanation with good examples and extra resources. It helped me get direction on how/where to start with a Design System.
Emilie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some redundancy, but all in all a nice round up of a very interesting subject, with a some good ideas along the way.
Nate
Jamie O'Leary
Nov 04, 2018
GreatDanton
Mar 11, 2018

• Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Accessibility for Everyone
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • Design for Real Life
  • Atomic Design
  • Type on Screen
  • Practical Empathy
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • The Shape of Design
  • Search Patterns: Design for Discovery
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Responsible Responsive Design
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Conversational Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“To do that, look at the big picture first. Capture the aesthetic qualities as a whole and identify the patterns that are particularly effective at expressing it. Then you can follow a similar process for all the styles: start with the key roles a style has in the context of your product, audit existing instances, and then define patterns and building blocks. The guiding principles help to connect everything together and link it back to the purpose.” 0 likes