Start by marking “McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales” as Want to Read:
McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales

(Adventures of McBroom)

When Josh McBroom learns that the eighty acres of Iowa farmland he's purchased are all stacked up on top of each other at the bottom of a muddy little pond, he thinks he's been bamboozled. But McBroom knows he's got the better of the bargain when the pond dries up to reveal an acre of soil so rich that seeds spring up into full-grown plants in no time and even nickels grow ...more
Published September 22nd 1997 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1966)

Amy
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was witty and fun to read. 12 yo DD thought it was too young for her.
Rachael
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
This read-aloud was so very very silly and charming! Also clever and legit laugh-out-loud funny. It has three chapters that are really three standalone stories about the farm. The second one with the wind was our favorite, my boys (6yrs and 4yrs) were literally howling with laughter. This book was very clever and cheeky, and a lot of the humor went right over the heads of my boys, so I look forward to reading this in a couple years and seeing how much more funny they find it as they understand m ...more
Tiffany
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a silly book that my 5 year olds enjoyed. I think some of the silliness went over their head and will plan on re-reading it when they are a bit older.
momma.hailey
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This smaller chapter book (around 60 pages) took about an hour to read a loud, an hour that flew by. We were laughing hysterically the entire time. My 6 and 9 years olds understood the humor. Clever story.
Joann10
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We are all big fans of McBroom after reading this fun "tall tale" book!!
A great read aloud!!
Jenny
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny, delightful romp of a tall tale about a family with 11 children on their farm with soil so rich that it can grow a pumpkin in a few moments and an entire forest in an afternoon. It is perhaps best suited for kids who are slightly older, but L giggled her way through, despite not understanding all the nuances, so I'm counting it a win.
Katherine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Some of the humor was over the boys' heads, but we all enjoyed this delightful story and I've heard elements of it come out in their imaginative play. I think they'll enjoy revisiting it and reading the sequels when they get older.
Teri
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What fun stories! I enjoyed reading it so much, and we all had a good laugh. There are three stories included. McBroom Tells the Truth, McBroom and the Big Wind, and McBroom's Ear. I enjoyed all three. If you are looking for clean, humorous stories, you need to read McBroom's.
Karen Maurer
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
L. O. V. E all of these books.
Anthony
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
to funny to be true
Tranylle
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one, probably more than my kids did. It was very funny.
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very very clever and entertaining. A great read-a-loud!
Aaron
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on audio while on a long car trip with the kids. Fun and witty set of three stories.
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun, quick summer read aloud. We laughed out loud.
Amy
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, readaloud, 2018
Just what you want in a readaloud. Full review here: http://www.sunlitpages.com/2018/05/wh...
Kat
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom suggested this book to me as a kid. Great suggestion! I still think about the three minute beans
Stefanie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-novels
Silly humor and short stories great for holding attention. This was a nice addition to our read alouds for the year.
Amber
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun little book for kids
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
3 Quick odd stories. Very old feel to the story.
Marie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read aloud w/the kids (1 chapter/short story each day).
Dina
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
These tall tales are just as delightful now as they were when I first read them years ago. Completely outrageous but so much fun!
Yusuf Sahin
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Farmer Mcbroom is lucky to harvest one crop a year. Now, harvests 3 or 4 crops a day.If you want to know how it happened, your lucky there's a book about it. Mcbroom is overwhelmed of how rich the soil was. When they planted beans, a beanstalk grew fully grown and ready to pick after about 5 seconds. How CRAZY is that!
Judy
I picked this up because of the author, but I should have noted that this is a tall tale, actually three tall tales about the same farm and the same family. But I'm not a fan of tall tales, never have been.

I think kids would like this, but I'd like to hear feedback from some kids.
Linnae
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Witty, funny, and memorable. Also, short!

Josh McBroom, his dear wife Melissa, and his 11 redheaded young'uns, pack up to go West after many years of struggling along on their farm. Along the way they meet a shyster who sells them an 80-acre farm for a pittance. Turns out, the farm is 80 acres stacked on top of each other, at the bottom of a muddy 1-acre pond.

Well, the pond dries up, and when it does, the McBroom family discovers the most marvelously rich soil in all the l
Patti
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Too bad GR doesn't have the cover by illustrator Quintin Blake! Oh well...)

After thoroughly enjoying Sid Fleischman’s “By the Great Horn Spoon”, I decided to look into other books of his. I am familiar with titles, but not the actual stories. This time I chose “McBroom’s Wonderful One-Acre Farm”, followed by “Here Comes McBroom!”. Both contain three tall tales – and boy, are they TALL, funny, clever, and absolutely delightful! Several adults reviewed them as memorable favorites from
Eric Hinkle
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd never heard of Sid before, but I noticed this book was illustrated by Quentin Blake so I had to get it. An excellent decision! These three tall, tall, tall tales are are fantastic, hilarious, and endlessly entertaining. All the absurd exaggeration is right up my alley, and the guy is a first-rate jokester. I'm happy to see that he has tons of books, and is still writing them, because I know I'll want to read them all.

A few favorite bits:

"Mr. Heck Jones had the worst f
Becky
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016reviews
This early chapter book features three "tall tales" by Sid Fleischman. The three tall tales are "McBroom Tells the Truth," "McBroom and the Big Wind," and "McBroom's Ear." Here's how the first story begins: "There has been so much tomfool nonsense told about McBroom's wonderful one-acre farm that I had better set matters straight. I'm McBroom. Josh McBroom. I'll explain about the watermelons in a minute." I don't know about you, but this one had me at hello. I got the impression that the book wo ...more
Luisa Knight
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, i-can-read, own
Well told and as cornishly goofy as can be, this will keep your reader laughing at the antics of the McBroom family and their unbelievable experiences. A field that produces crops at incredible rates and weather that can blow eleven children away, with a swarm of locust and a corn cob the size of a car - it's pure fun!

Reading Level: 2nd - 4th grades

Cleanliness: A man's name is Hector but everyone calls him "Heck." The word, "Mercy!" and "Glory be!" are exclaimed a few tim
Scooping it Up
Much like his other books (i.e. Chancy and the Grand Rascal) this short novel is a tall tale with dead pan exaggeration and a little fantasy. It went a little over my four-year-old's head, and mostly over my adopted kids' (who are just learning English) heads, but the English-speaking first grader loved it.

When I stopped to explain, or act some parts out, the other kids got the point and enjoyed it.

I think I personally would love it more if I had waited to read it to them another year, and had
Kasha
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: girl-books, boy-books
This book is very silly, but perfect for young readers. I'm on a quest to find humorous books for my son because I've decided that is what he enjoys most. When he started reading this book he was immediately taken with the humor. It says tall tales because each event is exaggerated to the max! The author has a nice flow, and I caught myself laughing here and there despite the childishness of the humor. These books are not on the AR reading list, but I would say it was maybe a step above an easy ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Maps and Globes
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • The Storm (The Lighthouse Family, #1)
  • Dolphin Adventure (Dolphin Adventure #1)