Start by marking “Famous in a Small Town” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
For Sophie, small-town life has never felt small. She has the Yum Yum Shoppe, with its famous fourteen flavors of ice cream; her beloved marching band, the pride and joy of Acadia High (even if the football team disagrees); and her four best friends, loving and infuriating, wonderfully weird and all she could ever ask for.

Then August moves in next door. A quiet guy with a
Expected publication: January 15th 2019 by Henry Holt

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

emma
    somebody......please..........give me this book

i'm a good person kind of. i deserve it, or at least would like it a lot and be excited and stuff so it'd be nice of you to grant me that experience.

2019 IS TOO FAR AWAY THANKS!!!!!
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    May 10, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
    Shelves: author-love
    now can we look at THIS beauty
    megs_bookrack
    Aug 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
    The designer of her book covers should win a damn prize! I can't even 😍😍😍
    Sue (Hollywood News Source)
    Of course Emma Mills made me cry again. What else is new??!?

Though, seriously Famous in a Small Town is another gut in the punch (in a good way.) I cried so much but I also laughed at all the joyous moments. This book made me feel kilig. It's a Filipino word which I don't want to give any English translation because it's kilig on its own. It's that feeling when you're reading a really good book and you get these flutter kicks in your heart - like there's butterfly swirling in your stomach. That'
    Jaime Arkin
    Her books just keep getting better and better!! Mills just writes friendship so amazingly well that i want to climb into the pages and be a part of these characters lives. absolute perfection!! Full review to come!
    Mary H
    Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    It's 2017 right now. Someone please tell me how on earth Emma Mills and Macmillan expect me to wait until 2019 to read this book because that's exceedingly rude. How am I supposed to live through 2018 knowing I don't get a new snark-filled slow burn romance from the mind that brought us First & Then, This Adventure Ends, and Foolish Hearts?? [insert dramatic di Caprio "how am I supposed to live" gif here]
    Ishmeen
    Aug 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Did someone say ice cream
    Wing-yee (bibliomeds)
    Jun 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
    If someone anyone has an arc for this and don't mind passing it on HIT ME UPPP
    Ashley
    Jan 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
    I look this up once a week to see if publication has been moved up....Alas, not.

I'm tempted to give this a 5 Star rating but then I remember I'm not one of those people that rate books before it's published...
    ...Cough, cough.
    Fatma
    OMG I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE COVER WAS GONNA BE REVEALED TODAY ITS SO BEAUTIFUL AND MATCHES THE REST OF EMMA MILLS' BOOKS !!!!! I NEED THIS BOOK YESTERDAY
    mith
    I am sobbing, I love this book and this author and these characters so goddamn much.
    Vicky Who Reads
    May 10, 2018 marked it as to-read
    THE COVER FOR THIS IS SO COOL!!! all of emma mills' covers are #goals

psst librarians here's the link www.fiercereads.com/blog/famous-small...

Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
    Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: publisher-sent
    There is something simple but addictive about Emma Mills books. I've read all of them, my favorite being the most recent, Foolish Hearts. Famous is her 4th book, and her dialogue is pitch perfect, but for the first third of the book, I kind of resigned myself to thinking nothing was going to happen in this book, and it was that kind of contemporary. Then something changes and it completely changed how I saw the book and the characters. I love when a book can do that to you, and suddenly, I was i ...more
    beth
    Sep 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: releases-2019
    hello can i have this book right now? i will give a kidney for an arc LITERALLY
    Cassie
    Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-wishlist
    If I could count how many times I laughed out loud on my fingers, I would need more fingers. The numerous amount of friends in this book overwhelmed me at first, but overall the story broke my heart and then carefully pieced it back together with love, laughter, and macaroni and cheese (the good kind, that you make on the stove, not that gross kind that you make in the microwave).

If you are already an Emma Mills fanatic, and even if you are not, this book will warm its way into your heart like
    Lisa
    Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, arc
    Another incredible book by Emma Mills! It’s hilarious and tender and about some really great friendships with people I want to know.
    Hollis
    Jun 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
    I can't believe we have a synopsis already but honestly I wouldn't even need it to have this baby on the tbr.
    Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
    I loved this from the opening page- it's trademark Emma Mills, the way she writes friendships and these fully realized characters. Their dialogue sounds like I'm eavesdropping on real people and I love that. I loved that it was a group of friends who lived near each other and knew each other since childhood. And I really liked the neighbors she babysat for and her burgeoning friendship/relationship with August. That being said, something was slightly missing for me the more I read, although ther ...more
    Hannah
    May 10, 2018 marked it as not-yet-released
    update: 05/10/18
    How did I not know about this?!? And that cover... so pretty...
    description
    Eileen (BookCatPin)
    Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Emma Mills nails it again!

Review to come.
    Rosa Peláez Viñuela
    Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I cannot believe we need to wait until 2019 for this one... equally, I’m pretty sure it will be amazing as the rest of Emma’s books!
    michelle (magicalreads)
    read on my blog

I'm partially rewriting this review for a third time after reading it again; it's taken me that long to really put into words how much I love this book. I've quickly fallen in love with all of Emma Mills's works. All of her books are just so good and evocative and heartfelt. Each new book just gets better and better, and Famous in a Small Town is no exception: this is my new favorite Emma Mills book, which I didn't think possible.

Now that being said, I don't want to completely com
    Lauren R.
    Just gimme it.
    Andrew
    I have fallen head over heels in love with all of Mills's novels, and this one is no exception. Her characters are hilarious and real in a way I hardly ever read from anyone else; the humor and witty conversation between a group of teenage friends is truly something special. Friendships are always just as (if not more) important than the romance. This one is all of the above with a country music mystery blended in. An absolute must-read.
    Nitzan Schwarz
    Jul 05, 2018 marked it as to-read-not-owned
    Okay, but, obviously I'm going to read this.

Side note - anyone else immediately think of Arcadia Bay when seeing Arcadia in the synopsis? lol
    Marian
    Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    My library kindly provided an advance reader's edition, which was good because I'd have hated to wait till january to read this. I'm a huge Emma Mills fan. Famous in a Small Town did not change that. :)
    Makenna Fournier
    Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2018, contemporary, arc
    Huge thanks to Netgalley for providing the eARC of this in exchange for an honest review!

As always with Emma Mills books, I really enjoyed it, but it did fall a little flat for me. Coming after Foolish Heart, which was probably one of my favorite books last year and which did so many things in a small book, this just didn't live up to that. It wasn't hard to get into the book, but I did find myself bored during the first half. The one things that I had the hardest time getting into was August.
    Bethany
    Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ya
    Like the other book by Mills I've read, This Adventure Ends, Famous in a Small Town is a sweet, realistic fiction YA that has a positive theme in it. It's an enjoyable story with just enough slow burn and feels to check the boxes, but it's not anything super special.

Sophie and her friends live in a Acadia, a small town in Illinois. They love hanging out, inside jokes, and (marching) band. This summer, everything seems to be going as expected except they've added a new guy, August, to their grou
    Trudi
    Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Sophie lives in a small town and she meets the new boy, August, and is intrigued by him. August has a lot of baggage and refuses to settle in. A famous country singer is from the small town, but has left without looking back and Sophie makes it her mission to have the singer at the fundraiser.

This is the first book I have read by Emma Mills and I will definitely be reading the rest.

Each character has their own story and you want to get to know each one of them. You find out where August comes fr
    Robyn
    Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc
    Honestly, I really like Emma Mills. Her stories are always fun to read and I usually fly through them. Famous in a Small Town is no different. Sophie is a nice girl who wants to do the right thing fo her friends and her town, all while neglecting to do the right thing for herself. We learn about her friends, the new kid across the street, and what the past has done to her and those of Acadia. But there are some negatives; the plot is a little thin, the main character isn’t exactly believable, an ...more
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Emma Mills is an author better known to her subscribers as vlogger Elmify. She is also cocreator and cohost of the "life skills" channel How to Adult, which ended in 2016.