Start by marking “Stolen Tongues” as Want to Read:
Stolen Tongues

Stolen Tongues

A romantic cabin getaway doesn’t go exactly as planned.
High up on the windswept cliffs of Pale Peak, Faye and Felix celebrate their new engagement. But soon, a chorus of ghastly noises erupts from the nearby woods: the screams of animals, the cries of children, and the mad babble of a hundred mournful voices. A dark figure looms near the windows in the dead of night,
Published June 27th 2017 (first published June 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Tongues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Tongues

Start your review of Stolen Tongues
kels
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, supernatural, 2017
Way back in the day, I was browsing r/nosleep on reddit, and I discovered a creepy, serialized story about voices in the dark. I was immediately hooked, and followed along with thousands of other redditors as the story took on a life of its own.

I was pretty thrilled to discover that Blackwell was going to publish the story as a single book, and when Stolen Tongues was finally released, I was all over it. It was interesting to read through it again, and to note the differences from the original,
Marie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5
I discovered this horror story with the Jenna & Julian podcast and it's a lot of fun, perfect for the spooky season and pretty well written.
Holly
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars

I decided to get this book soon after hearing about the r/nosleep post from the Jenna & Julien Podcast. I was so intrigued by the story line at that point that as soon as they mentioned it being a full-length novel I knew I had to get it.

Stolen Tongues follows a young couple that has recently become engaged, Felix & Faye. They go to a cabin in Colorado soon after their engagement and learn about the voices, the connections, and most of all, the number 5.

I really enjoyed this
Jeanne
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
While I can’t remember the last time a book truly frightened me, a really good book can invade my comfort zone and provide a lot of unease. Stolen Tongues managed to accomplish this. Blackwell writes quite well without a lot of unnecessary embellishments. He creates some very creepy imagery. The story did fall apart to some degree for me, especially when characters made choices that made no sense. I feel there was some story that should have been expanded upon or left out entirely. The ending ...more
Reeda Booke
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gave me the shivers. There is something really creepy about people talking in their sleep, especially when it seems like they are talking to something else. That and the noises and footsteps coming from nowhere, plus some of the weird reactions of Faye while she sleep walks, really gave me a feeling of unease. It would certainly make a great movie!
Nicole
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best horror I've read all year!

Some horror creeps up on you real slow, and some horror does not. Stolen Tongues is the barrel in, grab you by the throat kind, take no prisoners kind. I was unsettled by the third page and turning the lights back on by page five. No small feat for an avid reader of horror. Very much enjoyed this story and hope to read more by this author who has a unique ability to scare the crap out of you, while peppering some humor in there. I'm of the opinion that the only
Stevie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lily Bloom
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Give me Felix Blackwell to read every day and I won't say no. A great read!

" I don't know how long I slept for."

I don't know how long I slept for either after I started reading this novel, but I know it was not much because I wanted to find out how this was going to end. This is the second novel I read by the author and, once again, I enjoyed his writing so much. I like reading different authors because I want to learn from different styles so for that reason I avoid reading too much of the same
Kirstin
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great example of how you write horror.

It’s amazing to see what came from the r/nosleep story. I’ve only read the first couple of chapters of the online version, and after hearing about this from the Jenna and Julien Podcast, I thought fuck it and ordered it.

This book is grounded in reality, with a supernatural twist. It balances this very well, making you actually terrified because you feel this could happen to you. You become half-way through the book where you feel that it
Aaron Peck
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A friend pointed me in the direction of Felix's original serialized story on reddit. I was hooked from the first post. And so were my coworkers. Each day during breaks, we would jump on reddit and check for updates until the story was completed.

From there, I followed Felix on Facebook and was thrilled to find out that he would be turning that series of reddit posts into a full blown novel. I ordered it as soon as it was published, but then allowed a move to a new house and a busy few months get
Kalie Walker
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered the story of Faye and Felix's romantic getaway turned into a nightmare about a year ago on Reddit's NoSleep. I was captivated by the story immediately. Afterwards I listened to the wonderful narration done by a brilliant YouTube horror narrator. However reading the story again, with all the little details and additions to the story was truly amazing. Mr Blackwell has managed to portray himself and Faye in such a way that you're bound to believe that all of this shitstorm happened. I ...more
Miguel
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It can sometimes be difficult to review novels or stories that began their life as "creepypasta," the neologism that includes the stores from Reddit's "nosleep" subreddit. They exist to accomplish a very particular task: deliver scares to the reader. And yet, a rare talent like Blackwell can craft an engaging plot and insert a modicum of humanity while also terrifying.

Horror in general always has to thread the needle of "quality storytelling" and being scary. The more a story reveals, the more
Kayla
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star review, but the ending just was not strong. I’m not sure if horror authors are following in the steps of Steven King, or if it’s just the genre itself that makes the ending anticlimactic every single time. It was beautifully written though. No awkward dialogue, or overly descriptive text to fill in empty spaces in the plot. I’ve followed this particular story since the beginning of the reddit thread on r/nosleep. While I feel that version of this story is more ...more
Ciri (The Constant Reader)
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply brilliant.

I originally read this as the multi-year story published on Reddits NoSleep community and it for under my skin then.
Now, reading the full version in broad daylight, I cannot help but feel it's not gotten under my skin so much as crawled into my very being and taken up residence in the dark corners of my mind. I cannot shake the intense feeling of being watched after finishing this book and doubt I'll be able to for a while.

I highly recommend this to anyone who's a fan of
Kyuu~
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when it came out on r/nosleep and just recently found out it was expanded and published into it's own book.
Although the book and story itself is good, it has a lot of extra words/paragraphs that did not need to be added in. Either by over explaining whats happening or using large words that seemed to be plucked out of a thesaurus. There were a few spelling/grammar errors but I can live with that.
Over all I preferred the original post on
r/nosleep to this publication.
Kristin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
How I'd rate this book, is how I'd rate a horror movie. Very scary, brittle plot. The ending made me feel like the author had no idea on how to end the book so he just ended it and tacked on some emotional paragraphs in hopes that it would smooth over all the plot holes. The author is definitely good at conveying the horror and getting the reader to feel the fear, but not so good at tidying up a plot. Anyway, good read if you're in the mood for a good scare.
Ty
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I followed this series on reddit's nosleep from the start, and each post gave me the most perfect shudders of horror. The adaptation to a full novel was smooth and seamless, with some amazing new threads added throughout to give it more body.

Even knowing the direction of the story, each shivery moment was still flawless. I was so caught up, I could almost hear the myriad voices echoing in my own head. This one's gonna stick with me.
Princess Maeve
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An incredible paranormal horror mystery! It had me hooked near the beginning. While the start was a bit slow the rest surely made up for it! A delightful and captivating tale of loss and healing and the creatures in the darkness that feed off of our suffering. The mystery of it all throughout the novel is what truly won my attention, but I also grew attached to the characters as well. An excellent read that I will recommend to others. I hope to see more from this author in the future!
Kayla French
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in awhile, couldn't put it down. I found this book from the Jenna Julien podcast No Sleep Stories and had to finish the story. Just when you think you have it figured it out, it takes you for another turn and whirl. Ending was a bit mild for the rest of the novel, but certainly worth a read.
Crina-Ludmila
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so scary! I love forests and this made me question going around and walking into one.
It wrapped me in and I had to read until the end. Even now though, thinking about it, the hair stands up on my arms. So creepy. I also liked the small bits of history thrown in.
Great, engaging story. Looking forward to the next book by the author.
Emily Phynn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

Originally read the series on Reddit and loved it! Really enjoyed how the author added little extras to the book compilation that added further depth and intrigue. Felix is an excellent horror writer and managed to build an atmosphere that is oppressive and unsettling no matter where the reader is. This genuinely kept me from sleeping!
Artem Beer
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a great story

Great book, glad I finally read the ending to the story that began as a series of posts on reddit. I think it is worth to read through the reddit story after this as it provides a less polished and more "in the moment" type of a story. The book is great and I am looking forward to reading more of your writing in the future.
Erika Dupree
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Wanted to give it more stars, but by the end it just seemed like things felt repeated over and over again. Great story line and an easy read that i would recommend for a rainy day. Can't wait to see what they do with this for a movie.
Natasha
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This story read a bit like one from r/nosleep which turns out to be exactly what it was before being turned into a book. It got a bit repetitive and dragged in the middle, but it delivered some pretty creepy moments and was overall enjoyable throughout.
Andrew Hill
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never got a chance to see this on Reddit, but I’m glad I found it on Kindle. Very creepy and original. All around awesome.
Bri
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
damn.

Megan Porter
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book ruined me and my sanity. 10/10 would recommend.
Grace Butler
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it kept me captivated throughout, I was a little disappointed with the ending but look forward to reading more of Felix' work.
El
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
very creepy very cool
couldn't put it down
a little exposition-y but it is his first book
the author truly tried to honor and not stigmatize Native American culture
Abby Ang
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
”I…walked…a thousand…years…across…the dark…to find you…”

• Borrasca
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume One
  • Penpal
  • The Spire in the Woods
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume Two
  • The Big Book of Serial Killers
  • The Reddening
  • Voices in the Snow (Black Winter, #1)
  • Next Door
  • A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home
  • Claymore, Vol. 17: The Claws of Memory (Claymore, #17)
  • Dear Edward
  • Claymore, Vol. 18: The Ashes of Lautrec (Claymore, #18)
  • Claymore, Vol. 20: Remains of the Dead Claws (Claymore, #20)
  • Claymore, Vol. 19: Phantoms in the Heart (Claymore, #19)
  • クレイモア 23 [Kureimoa 23] (Claymore, #23)
  • Claymore, Vol. 22: Claws and Fangs of the Abyss (Claymore, #22)
  • Claymore, Vol. 21: Corpse of the Witch (Claymore, #21)