Start by marking “Grannie Panties Are UnderRated” as Want to Read:
Grannie Panties Are UnderRated

Grannie Panties Are UnderRated

Elle Martin has it all. Handsome and successful husband. Check. Daughter and son attending exclusive private high school. Check. Privilege, status, and wealth. Check, check, check.

But there is more to Elle's story.

Already struggling to keep up appearances in a social set full of pretension and ultra-competitiveness, Elle's facade of perfection is threatened when h
Published June 6th 2017 by Mile High Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about Grannie Panties Are UnderRated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grannie Panties Are UnderRated

Start your review of Grannie Panties Are UnderRated
Julie Babcock
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Gayle's first book and it was thoroughly entertaining. Halfway through the book, I couldn't put it down.
Alison
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess it was the alluringly tempting title that pulled me towards this book. Grannie Panties Are Under Rated is a highly gripping story, but not in any way that I expected. Based around the character of Elle it is set in alternating time lines in her life.
The 1990’s where she is a living on the edge, in Japan she puts herself at risk in a variety of ways and these sections can be quite horrifying and blunt. Be aware there are drug, drink, language and fairly explicit sex references
Sue
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I couldn't keep reading. Maybe the middle aged protagonist finally grew up and realized there is more to life than snooty friends and stuffy social events but I got tired if waiting for that to happen.
Karen Brennan
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

GRANNIE PANTIES ARE UNDERRATED is a highly entertaining and thought provoking book! I found myself reading it obsessively until the final word, and then wanting more.

The chapters alternate between Elle Martin's twenty-something raw, wild life in Toyko; and her current identity as a wife and mother of two kids in the affluent, highly competitive, and often catty Country Day High School. The readers are taken on a compelling ride of the character's tumul
C. Gonzales
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This novel is told in a split time way. We get glimpses of her at a younger age, who she wanted to be, vs. present day, who she is. There is a big discrepancy between the two. I think that is a huge theme in the novel. Life doesn't always turn out how we want it to, sometimes we need to evaluate how we got where we are in order to fix the things we don't like.

Music. Wow, I absolutely loved the way this novel used music to help tell the story. I am a huge fan of music and lyrics and h
Gina Stamper
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-fiction
This is a very light-hearted read. I think it was quite the unique take on how different some generations are than others. It was witty and snarky. The way the world has changed and how we raise our children now is just so incredibly different.
I liked how thought-provoking this novel was. There are ups and downs for these characters and that made them seem real. They don’t always make the right decisions, but they do ultimately learn from their mistakes.
Superb writing with honest cha
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You would never guess this is Gayle Erickson's debut novel. I fell in love with the characters and the relationships between them all. It is a great story that takes you back to the post-college years of Gen Exers through present day of parenthood and all the expectations that come with it. You feel all the feels in this story - it will make you laugh and empathize with Elle on so many levels. Fabulous debut and I can't wait for more from this author!
R.K. Emery
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Light and Fun, Gayle Erickson's novel Grannie Panties are Under Rated will have readers captivated by her characters.

The characters are real and very well developed, they make it easy for you as the reader to be drawn into.

This novel was very easy to follow. There was something wonderful about how simple it was. I didn't have to overthink things. There was plenty of comic relief in it to lighten any of the deeper moments.

I never felt confused and that is a great testament when you
Scarlett Ian
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it

I'll be honest with you, at first I could not get into this book.  I was not a big fan of Elle's character when I started reading - I couldn't quite put my finger on why, but something about her was off - almost like she was two different people.  However, the more I read of the book, the more I realized that this author was telling a story that is relatable to most individuals out there.  Elle grows up with a vision of who she wants to be, but by the time she gets to be that person she realizes
Amanda ChocolatePages
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was most definitely the title that drew me to this book, it such a fun name for a book don’t you think? Then the cover, that is pretty spectacular too. It just drew me in.

I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading to see that half of the book is based in Japan. Elle, the main character has led her younger life by taking risks and not taking the best care of her body, her morals and her mind. However, she did have fun! We hear about this part while she is living in Japan. Japa
Jennifer Rankin
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was initally drawn to the book based on reading about the story line. I felt like the subject was something that many women can relate to. I loved how the story flowed back and forth from past to present. Although I cannot personally relate to all of Elle's younger years and her transition to married life, I could totally feel like what she went through and how she felt as an adult were totally plausible. In one aspect or another, we can all relate. I found the book entertaining, suspenseful a ...more
Susie Spiegler
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way this story took me back in time through music! The story is so relatable to becoming a parent and a spouse, on so many levels, and remembering back to more careless times in our lives too! Great chic lit!
Billy Buttons
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Grannie Panties Are Underrated

Writing Style: 9/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 10/10
Of the 16 readers:
15 would read another book by this author.
16 thought the cover was good or excellent.
16 felt it was easy to follow.
15 would recommend this st
Rachel Kamery / Never Enough Novels
I hovered between a three and four star rating most of the way through this book, but unfortunately the ending brought it down to just three stars. The premise of this book is a bit cliche (unhappy suburban mom with a dodgy past), but I still couldn't put it down. I read it in just a few days - eager to find out what happened to Elle. I'm a sucker for intertwining present day plot and flashbacks, so that is a bonus if you enjoy that style as well.

I particularly connected with Elle's growing dis
Jasmine
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried as much as I could to relate to the main character, but at every turn or moment of what I thought was clarity, I grew to dislike Elle even more. In this book, Elle was a woman who was very insecure within herself and she wasn't satisfied with the things she had, so she always wanted more. That kind of behavior manifested itself into her past life as well as her present life where she became a rich socialite with privileged children. In her past, her running away from her life and herself ...more
Tami
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoilers**

I received this in a giveaway and I was so happy when I did! Just from the cover, I could tell this would be a fun read. I love books with a split time line!! It keeps the story fresh and the music was an interesting focus in the novel. I'm a busy mom, and read the book during my lunch breaks, although at times it was hard to put down. By chapter 40 I just had to take it home, I couldn't wait to find out the ending! But Mitch!! I was so hoping they would find each other a
Marissa
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Win Copy

This tells the story of Elle Martin as it flashback to her life before her marriage and kids.ke them on a rip to Japan. Memories of a life before her husband brings back memories of her best friend whom she met their and their activities.

She wants to reconnect with him but has no communication since she mysteriously left. Instead her past life will come to haunt her as it collides with her presence as she learns what happened to her friend.

Sometimes it
Keri
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I had this book sitting on my shelf for a while. We have always giggled at the title. I needed a change, picked it up and began reading. There was more to the book then I had originally thought. Life is full of change and choices. Sometimes you make good ones and sometimes you make bad ones and sometimes they follow you. As we age we tend to reflect on these choices. Then your next choice is how to go on...which is what this book is about. SMALL SPOILER: ending is upsetting.
Angie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a winner in a Goodreads giveaway. I was drawn to this book because of its awesome title. What I discovered when I read the book was a wonderful story that flipped between Elle's past and present life. It was well written, and it was interesting to use Japan as a setting. I really enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading more by this author.
Fred Green
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without question the most authentic yarn

She captures that elusive connection between mothers and daughters regarding the simplest yet most complex unmentionables with reverence and class. Great author and I am looking forward to the next novel.
Adrienne
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gayle has a very easy writing style. This book was fun to read. I didn't have any idea it would head in the direction it did, and the ending was unexpected as well. I'd recommend it to others of our generation, but it's not something I would recommend to my mom and her book club. :)
Gayle Erickson
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Like many of you, I am a busy mom with a hectic life. I wanted to write a book that catered toward women like us - something that was fun, suspenseful, easy to pick-up and read while waiting in the carpool line or during a lunch break, and with just enough naughty bits to keep it interesting! The main character Elle and her struggles will be relatable to most women and Gen Xers in particluar will love all of the references to growing up during the eighties, from TV shows to current events, to mu ...more
Kelly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
Slow read. Finally picks up when you are about to stop reading and then the ending is awful!
Lisa K.
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will suck you in right from the beginning! Chapters alternate from Elle in the nineties, living in Japan right out of college, to Elle in the present, living a privileged life with her (almost) perfect family. Interesting how the two stories come together with twists and surprises. Gayle does a great job in developing the characters, which is why I found myself rooting for Elle, even though she makes poor choices in her younger years.
And how cool was it that each chapter title was a c
Nancy
Heather
Oct 12, 2017
Fred
Sep 25, 2017
So, here's the deal. I'm a pretty average person. I live in the suburbs of Denver with my husband, twin teenagers, and two dogs. Most days, it's all I can do to keep it together. (As in - sometimes my kids have cereal and frozen waffles for dinner.) I wanted to write a book that was the type of story I enjoy - something that was fun, suspenseful, easy to pick-up and read during lunch break or whil ...more